[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the movie equivalent of a videogame that focuses exclusively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: DOOM.png (106KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DOOM.png
106KB, 1024x768px
What is the movie equivalent of a videogame that focuses exclusively in gameplay?
>>
>>81175026

Films like Tree of Life and Eraserhead.
>>
>>81175026
Action movies like Mad Max 2
>>
hardcore henry
>>
>>81175026
Dredd, Mortal Kombat
>>
>>81175026
Grass by terrence malick
>>
>>81175157
>>81175118
>>81175077
I don't think you guys understand. It's not about the action, gameplay is the core element of a videogame.The excellence of games like DOOM resides mostly in the gameplay, leaving aside other aspects like the story and graphics (although revolutionary during its time).

If anything, >>81175044 has the right idea.
>>
>>81175026
Die Hard is basically the Doom of movies
>>
>>81175026
Batman v Superman
>>
>>81175026
TDKR
>>
>>81175298
A game that focuses on gameplay is much like an action movie that focuses on action. Dredd and Mortal Kombat clearly put their stories as a second thought compared to their shooting and fighting scenes, respectively. They're great examples.
>>
>>81175044
I feel like Eraserhead is a perfect answer to OP's question
>>
>>81175883
Wouldn't they be more like fighting games then, due to the precision required in both development and execution in game? Doom is just a happy accident that it plays as well as it does.
>>
>>81175026

12 angry men
>>
>>81176020
Fighting games ARE games that focus almost exclusively on gameplay. Anon was just using Doom as another example.
>>
Films where the main criticism is "style over substance" or something similar. Visually stunning films without much "point" or "narrative" and all the ancillary stuff, just focuses on the visual and aural aspect of the film.
>>
Koyaanisqatsi
>>
>>81176020

Doom is no happy accident, though I don't think it's a game designed from the ground up as a purists gameplay experience either.

Doom is a passionate creation of four(?) guys, putting their hearts into making a cool game with heavy metal, gore and demons as oppose to today's peer-reviewed, sterile, over-analyzed, safety-harnessed samples deployed by a staff in the several thousands.

The movie equivalent of that? I dunno, I've never been very knowledgeable of the behind the scenes shit regarding movie production. Maybe Evil Dead?
>>
>>81175026
citizen kane

literally just mechanics masturbation
>>
>>81176146

I wouldn't compare Doom to Virtua Fighter.

VF has next to no effort put into character design, story, atmosphere or any other fluff. It's purely for the fight system.

Doom may seem like raw gameplay when compared to the modern FPS that constantly interrupts the action with cutscenes, forced camera perspectives and heavily scripted segments but it actually has a lot of effort put into atmosphere, sound and visuals.
>>
>>81175026
Speed
>>
>>81175026
since gameplay is the most fundamental thing for a video game, the equivalent would be a film that focuses exclusively on story

most good films do anyway, like most good games focus on gameplay
>>
>>81177543

I figure it would mean all action for a videogame, so all action for a movie.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.