[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Team of complete strangers >Straight, white, cis-male

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: PowerRangers.jpg (3MB, 2880x1922px) Image search: [Google]
PowerRangers.jpg
3MB, 2880x1922px
>Team of complete strangers
>Straight, white, cis-male character is the undisputed leader automatically

I'm sorry, what fucking year is this again?
>>
>Black Billy

Really shifts me into Turbo.
>>
It's 2017.

I don't know what your statement has to do with the year though.
>>
File: 912.png (110KB, 763x652px) Image search: [Google]
912.png
110KB, 763x652px
>>81139353
>>
>>81139406
N-No it isn't.
>>
>>81139353
Wait, where are the non white heroes IRL

> I'll wait . . . . . .
>>
>>81139353
Does this movie take place in the 90s? The clothes make it look like it does.
>>
File: IMG_0030.jpg (294KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
294KB, 700x700px
>>81140394
Can't corner the Dorner.
>>
I can't be the only one who thinks changing the ethnicies of 4 of them is completely pointless, right? If they're so dead set on not portraying these characters as they are supposed to look, why not make an original movie with original characters? As long as they can make it good that shouldn't matter right? It's pretty clear they're only making it power rangers because it's a name people know. Easier than making your own concept and making a good movie I guess.
>>
File: 120427-tammy-duckworth-3p.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
120427-tammy-duckworth-3p.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>81140394
>>
>>81139353
>they team up to fight a Jewish woman who's scheme literally revolves around stealing all the gold she can find
>>
>>81140507
I never understood /pol/'s obsession with this man, he's a black guy who killed some cops but then when cops kill black men they cheer just the same
>>
>>81139353
>automatically
how do you know it was automatic? how do you know they didn't think about putting a black or a female as the lead, but then considered their demographic and chose otherwise? You don't like me assuming your gender, so why do you assume others' intentions?
>>
>>81139353
I'm pretty sure that's the reason it got shit reviews, imagine if Blue was Red
>>
>>81140525
"Changing the ethnicies(sp) of four of them is completely pointless, right?"

Now I haven't seen the new film yet, but as I look at OP's pic and this one..... what?
>>
>>81139353
They'll probably have a chick play the green Ranger so they can have the Red Pink Green love.
>>
>>81140628
Can you not see how they changed all of their ethnicities? Trini is now hispanic instead of asian, etc. Literally pointless. They were already diverse. Why change their colors around?
>>
>>81140628
The first MMPR cast was such a wonderful joke

>black ranger was black
>yellow ranger was asian
>pink ranger was a girl
>>
>>81140661
>blue ranger was gay and blew guys
>>
>>81140656
So, they made the asian girl hispanic, and a white guy asian.... I'm not great at math but that's two and not four.
>>
>>81140525
Because everybody laughed about the fact that the black ranger was black and the yellow ranger was asian.

>why not make an original movie with original characters?

I mean, Saban made the movie. It's the same people that made the original series, so it's not like somebody else bought it up to capitalize on it. I could almost see your point if they arbitrarily color-swapped the characters for literally no reason, but like I said, the fact that they were color-coded by ethnicity raised eyebrows back in the 90s. Doing the same thing today would send SJWs into epileptic fits. And besides, was their ethnic background intrinsic to anything about the characters in the original series? Was Billy's whiteness what made the character the character, or the fact that he was a bullied nerd?
>>
>>81140704
You're counting wrong. They made an asian girl hispanic, a white girl indian, a black guy asian and a white guy black.
>>
>>81140661
Even as a kid I always thought that was some funny casting.
>>
>>81140661
There's a convenient explanation for the black and yellow. A hispanic girl was cast as Trini first, but after doing the pilot that never aired she asked for more money and they replaced her with Thuy Trang. I can't remember what the black ranger excuse was, but I'm sure you can find a video of the actor himself talking about it.
>>
>asian
>woman
>dies in car accident
Stereotypes
>>
>>81140661
>pink ranger was a girl

Well, to be fair, that had to be the case. She had tits and wore a skirt in the Super Sentai footage used for the fight scenes. It would be weird if they made her a dude.
>>
>>81140704
They made an Asian girl Hispanic, a white guy (Billy) black, a black guy (Zach) Asian, a white girl (Kimberly) half Indian, and Jason appears to be the only one who is the same color as the original actor.
>>
>>81140744
oh, so changing the suits colors. Like I said, I haven't seen the new film, so I jsut went by group shot.

But as others said, yellow ranger = asian, black ranger = black and pink ranger = girl is the writing of a child, so changing that doens't bother me.

That aside, it's just the fucking color of their matching outfits. I guess I'll save my outrage for other things.
>>
>>81140579
he fought for freedom and they burned him for it
>>
>>81140716
>was their ethnic background intrinsic to anything about the characters in the original series?

No, but this seems like a pitiful excuse to me. There is literally no good reason to change these people's ethicities. The SJW excuse is a big one, I just wouldn't call it a good one.
>>
>>81140774
What's funny is the Yellow Ranger was a dude in Super Sentai, but they never bothered justifying why Trini didn't get a skirt but Kimberly did. They made a subtle joke about it in the reboot when Trini's brothers thought they yellow ranger was a dude, and she says no one could tell the difference anyway.
>>
>>81140802
Not changing the suit colors, changing the characters skin colors. Billy is still the blue ranger, etc. but he himself is a black guy.
>>
>>81140848
I mean, if people were self-righteously """"""offended""""" enough to boycott and hurt the movie's box office, you wouldn't consider that a good enough reason to air on the side of caution?
>>
>>81140849
They probably just made Trini the yellow ranger because they wanted at least one more girl on the team, and chose yellow. Imagine how many kids grew up with the perception that yellow is a feminine color because of power rangers alone.
>>
>>81140930
I don't disagree
>>
>>81140886
>Billy is still the blue ranger, etc. but he himself is a black guy

True, but I don't know. The kid who played Billy was really good. Didn't bother me.
>>
>>81140900
No I wouldn't call it a good reason in the sense of "this is the right thing to do." It's a reason I might be forced to act on but what's popular isn't always right.
>>
>>81140994
Well that's how you feel.You might not care what they look like, but I don't agree with the change. I still think it was completely unnecessary.
>>
>>81140998
Why exactly does it upset you so much? They didn't even race swap as much as the "race-shuffled". You just agreed that the character's ethnicity didn't really play into the original characterization. So what's the big deal?
>>
>>81140579
Tha's cause u r a nagger
>>
>>81141047
It upsets me because I don't believe there was any legitimate reason to do it.

>their ethnicity doesn't play into their characterization

This only proves my point that there was no reason to change them. Billy was white in the old show. Why change his ethnicity? Because you like it when black guys are named Billy? It's weird to me.
>>
>>81141172
> Why change his ethnicity? Because you like it when black guys are named Billy? It's weird to me.

If I'm trying to see it from the writer's perspective, I would assume that they knew they couldn't keep the old demographics because they got so much shit for it the first time, but they probably thought just swapping the yellow and black would still look silly, so they shuffled it around one more step. I don't know, it just seems like a weird thing to be hung up on. Does it also bother you that Jason is blonde when in the original series he had black hair?
>>
>>81140994
>The kid who played Billy was really good. Didn't bother me.
probably because you could relate to his tism
>>
>>81140649

That would be the worst shit but on the other hand, it would twist the meaning of all that tension around between Jason and Tommy. Could be hot.
>>
>>81141172
No, the reason to change them was pretty simple, and has been explained many times already.

Having the black ranger be a black guy, and the yellow ranger be asian would make it seem like a bawdy comedy from back in the day.

Look, I'm an old sumbitch and I watched and loved (original run) Power Rangers as a kid/young teen. But changing their race doesn't bother me at all, because it's a silly and fun show.

Maybe you should save your anger for serious things in this world, and not the fact that a show/movie about teens at a teen center turning into colorful ninjas that fight dudes in rubber suits, realized they had unintentionally hilariously racist matchups of suit and skin tone colors for some of their characters and changed it up 25 years later.
>>
>>81141280
The SJW backlash is the only reason I can see for this.

>it seems like a weird thing to be hung up on
>does jason's hair bother you

Honestly yes. I just prefer when the characters look like the characters. I don't see a reason why Lara Croft can't have a thick body with big tits or why Nick Fury has to be black (not that I watch MCU movies, just to clarify, that doesn't bother me, just confuses me).
>>
>>81141444
Well played.
>>
>>81141448
I guess I'm old fashioned. I like when characters actually look like the characters.
>>
>>81141473
>why Nick Fury has to be black

That was because in the 'Ultimate Marvel' comics, the character was literally modeled after Samuel L. Jackson. When the time came to cast the role, he was their number one choice because of it.
>>
>>81141535
Ok, I wasn't aware of that. I'm not into comics or much capeshit.
>>
>>81141473
Nick Fury was black, because in the comics starting in 2001 (seven years before the first Iron Man movie) they launched the "Ultimates" line (where ALL the marvel characters were rebooted) , and Nick Fury was made black then, and was made to look like Sam Jackson.

So to answer your question, they literally cast the fucking actor the comic version was drawn to look like.

Take your aspie /pol/ outrage elsewhere moron, or at least learn what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>81141604
Yet you'll comment.
>>
>>81140832
Actually he burned himself, literally and figuratively
>>
>>81141657
No need to get upset over it.
>>
>>81140661
>>81140749

Zack was going to be the blue ranger but it got switched right before shooting

Trini was also a mexican actress for the pilot but left due to pay issues
>>
>>81139353
>what fucking year is this again?
the current year of course
>>
>>81141722
>Trini was mexican but left due to pay issues

Thank you for repeating what I said, but more vaguely.
>>
>>81141771
Well quoted you to inform you about the black/blue deal

Added the trini shit cause im high
>>
>>81141842
dude...Weed. lmao
>>
>>81141883
Whats more embarrassing

Arguing about power rangers or smoking weed
>>
>>81141944
Smoking weed, hands down.
>>
>>81140579
Not /pol/ its /k/ that had the hard on for Dorner. All the dorner memes sprouted from /k/ during his manhunt
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.