[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Brad Pitt's character literally retarded? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: se7en.jpg (32KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
se7en.jpg
32KB, 600x350px
Was Brad Pitt's character literally retarded? I'm not autistic so I can sympathize with him going nuclear the way he did, but regardless, Kevin Spacey would've met a fate worse than death had he been spared, and it would have been ample vengeance for Brad Pitt considering the entire scheme would've collapsed on its head.
>>
>>81130890
>Kevin Spacey would've met a fate worse than death had he been spared

What, remanded to a psychiatric hospital in solitary confinement? Fuck him, his little mind game was ruined the second Pitt's bullet pushed his brain out of his head.
>>
>>81130890
>man kills your pregnant wife

>expecting me not to shoot him if I had a gun

are you out of your mind. I get you prove him wrong but then what? This is more satisfying to you
>>
>>81130890
It wasn't really Brad Pitt
>>
>>81130890
>>81131079

>not just shooting him in the dick
>>
>>81130890
wasnt morgan freeman the bad guy in this?
>>
>>81131130
Indirectly sure.
>>
>>81130890
I'm more annoyed that Brad Pitt's character has been a policeman/detective for over a decade, yet still acts like a rookie cop that rushes in without thinking and is impulsive as hell.
>>
>>81130980
>missing the point of the entire scheme this hard
>implying objective reality doesn't exist
>>
File: 1479087165736.jpg (27KB, 639x475px) Image search: [Google]
1479087165736.jpg
27KB, 639x475px
>>81130890

>"Why doesn't this character act like a perfectly reasonable logical robot?"

I bet your romantic life is very fulfilling.
>>
>>81131268

>if you kill me I win

Fuck off, Trudeau
>>
>>81131277
i mean they showed he was pretty volatile throughout the film but you'd think he'd at least torture the guy instead of flat out killing him.
>>
>>81131554
>The face of autism.
>>
>>81130890

The character of Detective Mills, portrayed by Brad Pitt, is a genuinely stupid person. He's not merely a "hothead cop" archetype, the character does and says stupid things, especially the entry without a warrant.

Leaving all edginess aside, the character of course didn't deserve what John Doe inflicted on him. But I don't agree that it would have been WORSE from Doe's POV to be spared, than what Mills himself was going through. Spacey does a good job of portraying a dissociated loony, calmly dipping his tea bag (insert your own joke here, I meant it literally). He's got the rest of his life figured out, one way or the other. He actually would have done the full confession, pled guilty, the whole bit (assuming his attorney would have allowed such). Doe might even have have tucked away, somewhere in his crazy brain, that the cop denying his game might offer a redeeming quality of humanity. But of course it doesn't work out that way.

Related: say Mills' situation ACTUALLY HAPPENS IRL, or something like it. What, if anything, would Mills be charged with? What would the legal system ACTUALLY do with such a cop?

I think that something like a murder three charge would be brought as a formality (I don't know the law very well), and conviction or no, the system would treat him so leniently, given the circumstances, as makes no difference. But he'd never be a cop again.
>>
>>81131716
Spacey had the weakest performance in the movie in my opinion. To me it felt like he couldn't mediate between being a dissociated loony, like you said, and a resolute yet unhinged puppet master. He either played one or the other in every scene he was in, and it never stuck well.

That being said, I don't think he would've rationalized away his failure if Mills did spare him because of that whole conversation he had about how he wanted his crime to have a reverberating legacy for the ages. He wanted people thousands of years from then to recognize him for having masterminded the "7 Deadly Sins" murders. Had he not murdered all 7 people, then he wouldn't be remembered, which means his plan would've failed both in his mind and out.
>>
>>81132021
Everyone would just think he was killed before they could uncover the last victim.
>>
>>81130890

>If you kill your enemies, they win

Was the leafcuck right after all?
>>
>>81132021

Well, what John Doe actually does is also inconsistent. A major part of the plot is that Doe is forced to "change course" abruptly due to (his) apartment raid.

The Gluttony victim (fat boy) and the Greed victim (rich defense attorney) are both personally guilty of their associated sins. "Sloth" is a bit odd for Victor, because we have no real indication that Victor was himself a SLOTHFUL person in life, until made to lie in that bed by Doe. So Doe's original M.O. already goes a bit wonky here. Doe makes his victims fit into his box, this happens similarly with the Pride murder - he puts that on her, SAW-style. She's a model so of course she was already a prideful person, we'd suppose, but Doe's game forces this supposed attribute to the fore, where it isn't as obvious as fatboy's gluttony.

Lust is also odd in that a third party is made to do the killing. Finally, things go totally inconsistent with the endgame: no sin is actually attributed to Mills' wife (her contemplation of an abortion notwithstanding, likely unknown to Doe), yet she is still victimized, largely as an act of vengeance against Mills for thwarting whatever the original plan was. So much for Doe's noble "turning each sin against the sinner". When Somerset try to catch Doe out, Doe probably registers Somersets' point somewhere, but blithely plays it off, just like a real psycho. This type of turn is what I like in spacey's performance.

In this respect, these inconsistencies and cringey problems with the scheme make Doe as behaving like a /real/ crazy killer, not some perfect mastermind.
>>
File: 1419626091743.jpg (37KB, 177x278px) Image search: [Google]
1419626091743.jpg
37KB, 177x278px
>>81131716
>say Mills' situation ACTUALLY HAPPENS IRL, or something like it. What, if anything, would Mills be charged with? What would the legal system ACTUALLY do with such a cop?

The only assurance is that he would never serve as a cop or detective again. I don't know what he would be charged with, I've actually tried to Google an answer to that question before but it's just armchair experts speculating.
>>
>>81131716
Still murdered a handcuffed guy on his knees. He's going to jail.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.