[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost in the Shell 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

Just watched GitS 2017. As a huge fan of the original movie and SAC[1] who expected to walk out of the theater, here's my thoughts.

The Good
>lots of respectful nods and references from the movies and animes (seriously, lots of shit you'd only notice if you watched everything)
>Batou looks as good as a live action rendition can look
>Togusa's gun
>Steve Aoki's criminal wubstep remix wasn't in the movie
>Aramaki does some cool shit
>non-human CGI is very decent

The Bad
>remember how I said the CGI is actually good? well, too bad, the art direction isn't. lots of ~glitchy~ ~flashy~ shit
>Scarlett Johansson only read the first 3 lines of the script where it said she was an android and acts like she's a completely lifeless, emotionless dumb robot. she even walks like one. wtf
>Aramaki is a pussy for half the movie who gets told to shut the fuck up and just accepts it instead of being a hard but fair and just boss
>Aramaki is also the *only* character that doesn't speak English. he speaks Japanese, which is actually nice - but he's the only one. if more characters spoke other languages this would've been great
>they did cast scarjo for an asian role, but at least they kinda give a reason for it. (which is probably another problem on its own)
>fights have bad choreography. surely they could afford a good person for fight choreography?

The Ugly
>you know all the philosophical themes of gits? they just glance over it (and then give it a happy ending! dw major you human af senpai)
>scarjo needs to be here too. fucking hell someone tell her that's not what she's supposed to be doing
>weak villain. very weak
>the one liners. more than once did i say "well that wasn't a bad scene huh" and they came and dropped some lame one liner that killed my suspension of disbelief
>the female section 9 member was blatantly irrelevant. if they wanted to add diversity they could at least have made her do something interesting . pretty lame, and i'm not some /pol/fag who cares about this shit.
>>
>>81106481
So, in other words, it sucked.
>>
I know nothing about GitS but I want some popcorn. Should I go see it?
>>
>>81106512
I honestly went in with such low expectations that I was actually positively surprised. I really did expect to be offended and walk out of the theater.
While there were a lot of things that made me go WHY it was watchable.

On a Popcorn Scale from 0 to 10, it's a Popcorn-7. Not completely trash, has some redeeming points, mostly the references they didn't mess up.

>>81106529
Yeah, just don't expect anything deep that'll make you think for a week.

Also watch the original movie and Stand Alone Complex, they're great.
>>
>>81106600
But I mean...

this is Ghost in the Shell we're talking about. The fact it's only "watchable" or "popcorn-tier" is really an insult to the original film.
>>
File: gits critique.png (2MB, 1624x4132px) Image search: [Google]
gits critique.png
2MB, 1624x4132px
>>81106481
Sounds like a travesty as expected

Wasn't going to watch it, thanks for the sacrifice OP.
>>
File: spike siegel is sad.jpg (19KB, 288x269px) Image search: [Google]
spike siegel is sad.jpg
19KB, 288x269px
>>81106634
Well, of course. I fucking love GitS, this could've actually been good if they had more respect for the original material. Hell, if they kept closer to the theme it'd be so much better.

Then again, the very first trailer already told me to expect something like this

It reeks of corporate barging in and telling them to change shit. Really feels like someone there really loved the original but couldn't do what they wanted to.

Sad!
>>
>Johansson tries hard to make Major seem sad and tragic, but the whole thing is so incoherent, chilly and almost anti-emotional that it's tough to feel anything much.

This is spot on. This is exactly the problem with Scarjo's acting here.
>>
>>81106481
Stop shilling this thanks
>>
She's like a 2nd generation full-cyber body person in the movie. The generation before hers was basically Microsoft Sam, Roomba bullshit.

Her body being plain and very robotic is a perfectly valid direction to take.
>>
>>81106481
>>Aramaki is also the *only* character that doesn't speak English. he speaks Japanese, which is actually nice - but he's the only one.

Saito speaks Japanese as well, it's just that he only has the one line at the end.

>>Scarlett Johansson only read the first 3 lines of the script where it said she was an android and acts like she's a completely lifeless, emotionless dumb robot. she even walks like one. wtf

This... no? She emotes a hell of a lot more than she did in the animated movie. She's like a half-way point between than animated movies Major and the one in the tv series who is mostly aloof but has a mirthful side as well.

>>Aramaki is a pussy for half the movie who gets told to shut the fuck up and just accepts it instead of being a hard but fair and just boss

That scene where he 'accepts' being talked down to by the main villain finishes with him delicately telling him to be very careful who he decides to threaten. He also empties a revolver into that dude at the end.
>>
>>81106748
That's how I felt when watching it. A die hard fan was told to boil down the best of the series into one single movie. Then once they came up with a script, they had to change things to fit what producers wanted.
I feel like they just needed this to be the first entry in the series so that they can have more creative freedom in the following entries. They left out Togusa and Batou a bit so I have a feeling Innocence is going to be made down the line at some point. They just didn't seem to want to go the original route and have Motoko leave afterwards (gotta have that ScarJo to bring people in)
>>
>>81106980
hows that 1st grade comprehension working for you buddy
>>
>>81107282
anime movies go to >>>/a/
>>
>>81107166
>That scene where he 'accepts' being talked down to by the main villain finishes with him delicately telling him to be very careful who he decides to threaten. He also empties a revolver into that dude at the end.
yeah, the turning point imo was the parking lot scene, felt to me like his character changed into normal aramaki

>This... no? She emotes a hell of a lot more than she did in the animated movie. She's like a half-way point between than animated movies Major and the one in the tv series who is mostly aloof but has a mirthful side as well.
really? maybe i worded it poorly, but i really feel like she had a really dry delivery where you knew she was supposed to be miserable but looked like she was just mildly annoyed at worst
>>
>>81107166
>>81107263
This is an affect of you clouding your brain by focusing too much of a small piece of disappointing. Just because something disappoints you, doesn't mean it's bad. A $100, 000 diamond is disappointing when sat next to a $10,000,000 diamond. But that doesn't mean it's anywhere near bad.
>>
>>81107328
The Major being mildly annoyed is surprising to you?
That's pretty much the extent of her emotions in the anime. That and being so doll like she doesn't even blink
>>
>>81107404
>my whole life is a lie, my memories were implanted
>my own body doesnt belong to me
>niggas are after me to fuck my shit up
>>
>>81107389
I didn't say that I thought the movie was bad. They did what they could to make it enjoyable and it was. Granted, I thought some things could have been done differently, but I enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to the sequels which I hope have a bit more philosophy and creativity in it than this one, but its the first entry and you've gotta give it some slack.
>>
>>81107502
Well posting your minor disappointments doesn't help fight against the hivemind saying it's complete garbage. Focus on the good parts for those who need help seeing them.
>>
>>81106481
>Scarlett Johansson is a shitty actress

Stop the presses!
>>
>>81107572
Are you saying we should join or keep on fighting the hivemind and accept their opinion?
>>
>>81107572
I brought up what I felt happened behind the scenes, which plays into the minor downfalls of the movie, then talked about my optimism for future installments and my hopefulness to see Togusa and Batou in a version of Innocence.
I enjoyed the movie, it had great design and audio. The costumes were spot on. Kuze was done decent but in a weird way.
>Gabriel the pup is cute as always
>>
File: Ghostinthebrains.jpg (288KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Ghostinthebrains.jpg
288KB, 857x1202px
I just saw it and think it's about as good a rendition as we could have hoped for. Kuze/Puppetmaster works well as a villain, Batou feels right, major feels right, and I think the final 3rd had a better emotional arc than I got of out of all the source material save for SAC 2nd GIG. Where it fails is at most all of the philosophical or political thriller aspirations the source material reached for.

TL:DR, it's passable and well shot, which is a pleasant surprise for something that could have easily been a total embarrassment.
>>
>>81106481
Congrats, it's 49% now.
>>
>>81107841
Your meme reminds me, I never got into 2nd SAC. I liked season 1
>>
>>81107914
>you know all the philosophical themes of gits?

you mean Batou jamming a giant cross into the ground lol

>>81107914
It was never going to get above 50% reviewers want to look cool by calling it whitewashing and pretending like they actually watched the original movie
>>
>>81107841
I think I felt more for the Major having to decide she couldn't go with Kuze into the Network in this versus the Major merging with the Puppet Master in the Oshii movie
>>
>>81107841
>Where it fails is at most all of the philosophical or political thriller aspirations the source material reached for.
But the original poorly imparted any philosophy at all.
>>
File: laughingman.gif (513KB, 565x565px) Image search: [Google]
laughingman.gif
513KB, 565x565px
>>81108234
but it did on the surface
>>
>>81106481
was i the only person who noticed the spaghetti-in-a-bag gag?
>>
>>81106481
>nods to the original

Fuck off. They are not supposed to be "nods" they are supposed to be legit universe building.
>>
File: 1467152257395.jpg (37KB, 404x390px) Image search: [Google]
1467152257395.jpg
37KB, 404x390px
>>81106481
I thought it was really fucking good.

>fights have bad choreography
No? What movie were you watching? There's very few all-out action scenes altogether, maybe two short melees, and one is Major getting jumped and the other is the flooded alley fight which was beautiful.

>Scarlett Johansson only read the first 3 lines of the script where it said she was an android
Her performance was the best part of the movie. Again, what were you watching?

>they did cast scarjo for an asian role, but at least they kinda give a reason for it. (which is probably another problem on its own)
It was a really well-done twist. They fuck with you with the whole "Mira Killian" thing to make you think they're localizing it but they pull the rug out from under fans. Exactly what a remake should do.

>you know all the philosophical themes of gits? they just glance over it (and then give it a happy ending!
They don't go as deep into it, but they definitely don't glance over them. They have the prostitute scene, for christ's sake. In a Hollywood movie, a scene where the main character hires a prostitute and there's lesbian undertones out the ass.

>weak villain. very weak
You're retarded. Kuze was great. The only bad part of his character, which is also the worst part of the movie, was "you're just like me" which is one single line.

>dropped some lame one liner
I'll agree Major dropping one liners is dumb but she does it like twice dude, that's it.

>the female section 9 member was blatantly irrelevant
What the fuck does that even matter
>>
>>81106481
>non-human CGI is very decent
You are a lying piece of shit. Just got back from watching it. Every aerieal shot that's looking down at the city freeways and the cars going through them is GOD. FUCKING. AWFUL. Especially the very first one in the beginning of the movie which looked like a PS2 cutscene.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.