[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw this movie last night and it is a fucking joke. >Its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: ghostintheshell.jpg (117KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
ghostintheshell.jpg
117KB, 800x508px
I saw this movie last night and it is a fucking joke.

>Its a re-imagining not a remake

It's a fucking mess is what it is.

Discuss.
>>
>>81080799
I too watched it last night and because I'm not a cynical FOR YOU le sekrit club poster I could see that the movie was actually decent.
>>
My expectations were low going in, but coming out, the film had exceeded them. I thought being a die hard fan would make me hate it but it's the opposite. If you accept that it could never have been as good as the original, it'a a solid film.
>>
>>81080799
Did you see it in 3D and is it fine to watch it in 2D? Is it just a few gimmicks or completely suited to 3D? I don't like watching 3D unless it's completely revolving around it.
>>
>>81080799
>re-imagining not a remake
herp derp, the same thing; let's split hairs for 300 replies

no
>>
>>81081391
Watched in IMAX for free and I feel like it really benefits from it. Especially aerial shots of the city. Movie is visually very pleasing.
>>
It is a decent cyberpunk flick for sure, but apart from the obvious visual references bears almost zero resemblance to Ghost in the Shell in any way.

They have removed anything that was interesting about the original anime (let alone the manga) and replaced it with a cliche storyline (Young girl kidnapped and turned into a living weapon - never heard THAT one before).

They've removed any agency and self-determination from the main character and reduced her to a 2-dimensional pulp Cyberpunk novel heroine.

The relationship between her and Aramaki is gone. Batou is retarded and the rest of the team barely feature.

Aside from seeing some of the classic visual moments represented in live action, there is nothing here for the GITS fan at ALL despite all the bollocks spouted by sanders et. al. about "Staying true to the fanbase".

TL;DR Good Cyberpunk movie, shit Ghost in the Shell movie.
>>
>>81081391
I saw it in 2d and there were zero scenes that stood out as ones those obvious kinds of 3d gimmick shots, so just see it in 2d you won't miss anything.

I imagine the scenes that will get the 3d treatment are the ghost diving imagery, cityscapes etc.

>>81081636
>They've removed any agency and self-determination from the main character
>The relationship between her and Aramaki is gone. Batou is retarded

Neither of these are true. The rest of Section 9 only play minimal parts though.
>>
>>81080799
It was an OK Robocop 2 movie.
Waiting for Neuromancer now.
>>
>>81081636
>It is a decent cyberpunk flick
I have been thinking about this for years.

There are so many cyberpunk that it can be called flicks. So maybe they are all just part of a genre there is no need to insist on a masterpiece.
>>
>>81081670

I can only assume you haven't really seen it.

Or are just one of those people who has said so many times that they thought it would be ok that you have decided to blind yourself to its obvious and numerous flaws in order to appear consistent.
>>
>>81081890
Yeah man, I'm just pretending I saw it XD

Idiot.
>>
>>81081969
That's what I thought.
>>
>>81081636
>Batou is retarded and the rest of the team barely feature.
Actually, every character in the movie seemed retarted compared to their original counterparts.
Batou and Togusa were arguing phylosophy and semantics on the Innocence, for gods sake. Here Togusa says something in the lines "Ha-ha, I'm a human and I'm proud of it, you cybernetic fucks!"
And Aramaki killed a head of a multi-billion dollar international corporation by his own hand, like a damn judge, jury and executioner.
Takeshi Kitano was cool though.
>>
>>81082042
>philosophy
English is not my first language, I am sorry.
>>
>>81082042
>Batou and Togusa were arguing phylosophy and semantics on the Innocence, for gods sake.

Which was 100% out of character compared to every other portrayal of those characters
>>
>>81082075
>100% out of character
Can't say, I grew up with those philosopher killers, so that's what they always were for me.
Every scene borrowed from Mamoru Oshii movie looked amazing though. I can't imagine how they got so close in terms of cinematography.
They weren't their own creation, obviously, so I assume the movie director can't take any credit for those.
>>
>>81082042
>Here Togusa says something in the lines "Ha-ha, I'm a human and I'm proud of it, you cybernetic fucks!"

It came up that Ishikawa has an artificial liver and they're bantering about how he got an accessory just to drink more, Togusa basically says he's happy to stick with being completely natural rather than do stuff like that
>>
>>81082375
That's what the scene in the movie was, yes.
But I always remembered Togusa as the new guy in the team and his primary distinct characteristic was that he had no implants or neural jacks, which obviously everyone in the team knew about and he just had NO reason whatsoever voicing this single obvious fact.
>>
And, again, voicing the obvious is the primary characteristic of retardation.
>>
>>81080799
Visually I loved it. I legit wanted to cum at some of the flyover shots of the city, and they actually pulled off the Major's arms ripping off scene relatively well.

The biggest problem with it was, this is all exactly like the anime, when as a whole the movie kinda works like a prequel
>>
>>81080799
Does she blink?
>>
>>81082489
The scene in the movie is a short hand way to get that point across because Section 9 has been established for more than a year at that point and he's not a new recruit
>>
>>81082602
>short hand way
That's my problem with it.
Short-handed explanations and establishing tirades instead of subtlety.
It's like the movie thinks I'm stupid or something.
>>
>>81082660
It's no different than how the Major basically looks at the camera in the cartoon and says they hired a non-augmented guy because the team lacked that.

It's the exact same concept just different details.
>>
The moral lesson bothers me.

I think in the original movie the message is "memory and body can be manipulated. the manipulation has made it pointless to insist on staying natural, so the way out is to become an ultimate cyborg." It's not a legit statement but it sounds cool.

The message in the TV series is "in this society the weak are manipulated. If you are not satisfied with it you should change yourself. If you don't you should shut up. If you don't I will shut you up (proceed to blow your head off) " that's probably copied from manga. It blames the victim but is probably a practical way.

The message in this live action movie is "memory manipulation is a bad thing done by big bad company. We are ok as long as we don't use it." Fucking ostrich.

People like to say the original is philosophical. But I think it's not about philosophy. It's just that its moral lesson sounds too alien to people.
>>
>clichey
>no investigation of moral dilemas
>decent cyperbunk bc muh visuals
>directed by a committee
So basically it has a shinny shell but an empty soul. Gonna wait for a download.
>>
>>81082804
truly it was ghost in the shell
>>
>>81082660
The movie expects that you didnt watch anime/ read manga so it explains it to you.
There wasnt any subtlely explenation in anime either.
>>
>>81082042
Does Aramaki even do any political scheming or anything? All I've heard about him is this badass gunslinger shit which sounds completely out of character.
>>
>>81082863
Why copy the whole scenes unchanged from the 1995 movie then? If I hadn't seen that I wouldn't recognize that shit anyway.
It's like they couldn't decide whether they wanted to blatantly remake that stuff or make something new, so they stopped in the middle.
>>
>>81083011
He shoots niggas, gets wiretapped on the phone and blatantly tells the bad guy he's gonna whip his ass.
But he's cool, I don't mind this change of character at all, surprisingly.
>>
>>81082763
How could you get the message of the movie wrong when it is literally said directly

They say "a person isn't defined by their memories" like three goddamn times at least

The Major's mom explains what kind of person Motoko was and hey surprise it's the way the Major has been acting despite the fact she has no memories of that person
>>
Visuals were amazing
Action was alright
Story was dumbed down but also felt disjointed somehow
Pacing was so off.
Takeshi was great tho.
Kuze was actually kinda cool for what little screentime he had.

Above average movie. Not great though.
>>
File: 1489502936198.jpg (57KB, 676x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489502936198.jpg
57KB, 676x960px
>>81080799
Why did they cast her?
>>
>>81082763
By the way the same difference is between original Robocop and remake

Robocop: "be patient Louise we are only humans"
Remake: OCP bombed Murphy. Murphy gets his humanity and family back and stopped OCP
>>
>>81083011
The head of Hanka basically thinks he's a compliant subordinate he can order around until Aramaki pretty pointedly let's him know that he answers to the Prime Minister rather than him and that he should take care with who he threatens. He later does an end run around him by going to the PM and letting S9 off the leash and merks the guy personally at the Major's request
>>
>>81083217
Shes got some pretty bad neck posture.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.