[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a high fantasy story set in Africa look and feel like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: game-of-thrones-nonso-anozie-1.jpg (2MB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
game-of-thrones-nonso-anozie-1.jpg
2MB, 1100x1650px
What would a high fantasy story set in Africa look and feel like?

Surely they have a rich history to work with,.......
>>
>>80967573
>What would a high fantasy story set in Africa look and feel like?
Like Somalia without Ak-47
>>
>>80967573
No idea, but I'd def. check it out. One of the main problems with typical fantasy is that it's basically forced to use well-worn tropes for magic, royalty, fictional races and plot characteristics.
>>
File: Zulu Warriors.jpg (876KB, 2626x1530px) Image search: [Google]
Zulu Warriors.jpg
876KB, 2626x1530px
It might actually work, I think. They could use the certain Kongo tribes, the Zulu warriors...

But the setting would need to be very tribal, it couldn't be feudal or nomadic. The dense jungles and forests could work out.
>>
>just because I don't believe egypt was black also means that it isn't in africa because like black people I am retarded and think that the continent is 1 country
>>
>>80967573
Maybe rival kingdoms based on Egypt, Mali, and the Congo?
>>
You could do a pretty good Apocalypto-like story in Africa.
>>
>>80967573
Martin already did that with the Summer Islands. Basically, there are no royal families, and when they have to choose a new king, they simply stand in 2 big lines and shoot each other with bows. Jalabhar Xho is ashamed of going back because he pussied out, and now he wants Robert (and then Joffrey and then Tomen) to reconquer it for him.

Some more of the Summer Islands best culture is basically fucking as often as possible. Someone was born? Died? It's someone's name day? The monkey butlers evolved into fine men? Time to fuck.
>>
>>80967573

HBO has been prepping for it.

An African GoT would need cannibalism, mutilation and necklacing.

The American audience isn't ready for it yet, but soon enough. Once they can figure out how to implement SJW tropes into the story line, i.e. independent womyn who need no man.
>>
>>80968986
>Once they can figure out how to implement SJW tropes into the story line, i.e. independent womyn who need no man.

Nah, them being black is okay enough. People are already okay with misogynistic homophobic rap music because it's like, "black culture" or something.
>>
If they had something going on, I mean anything - culture, military, agriculture - then how come they were enslaved like inferior bitches?
>>
>>80969054
t. basement neet warrior
>>
>>80967573
I would watch that.
>>80969054
No herd animals. Literally everything can be explained with anthropology.
>>
Warlord-kings vying for power in a savage land, where kingdoms rise and fall like the sunset.
>>
>>80969054
West and east african kingdoms had agriculture,steel and their own culture you ignorant faggot.
Not everybody can be the next rome.
>>
>>80967573

As long as they don't appropriate 'western' or shall I be more specific, 'white' fantasy/culture then I will gladly support and watch an African Fantasy movie, should it be of high quality and standards.

If however it's western style clothing, with black british actors of shakespearean eloquence then i'll be very annoyed.

Marco Polo comes to mind as a successful 'foreign' feeling movie, but totally watchable and enjoyable.
>>
>>80969163
Shit man I was wrong. I should maybe read into that to better understand what I'm talking about. I thought most differences in culture come from a difference in climate/agriculture and geography.
>>
>>80969054

Negros literally have a lower IQ. They couldn't combine forces to combat the 'white man', of whom had evolved under harsh winters and the concept of delayed gratification - unknown to the negro who simply hunts berries when hunger strikes, and mates with the nearest female when his tackle tingles.

They are very simple-minded. The only African 'civilizations' were the result of a very small minority of intelligent negro outliers who enslaved his fellow black man.
>>
File: 1399455718703.jpg (116KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1399455718703.jpg
116KB, 500x600px
I wouldn't touch it. The networks wouldn't touch it.
No matter what you do you'll get panned for "appropriation" or "casual racism" or "uncounscious bias" for choosing english as the spoken language. Also people on the other extreme will disavow you from the get go since you collude with blackies.
Why go through this nightmare if we can make another medieval sword and magic series with tons of cheap used props

ITS SHOWBUSINESS /tv/
YOU ARE A CASHCOW CUMMING MONEY TO THESE PEOPLE
>>
>>80969054
They fought each other and sold them for slavery
>>
>>80969355
Is this some retarded /pol/ pasta?
>>
>>80969266
Well, dude, if your place has shitty climate and other arbitrary conditions to a point where you can't create a wheel, you'll still end up being dumb af as well as everyone in your family tree.

So it's sad that they had it rough I guess. But still.
>>
>>80967573
I'd rather have native americans than niggers.
>>
>>80969110
>>80969522
>>80969355
>GG&S faggots
>On my /tv/

Neil Diamond based all that shit on literally no evidence.
>>
>>80967573
You ever heard of yakub? It would not only be a fantasy epic, it would turn into sci-fi in season 4
>>
>>80967573
>the white man was sailing the world while the black man hadn't even invented the wheel
Really makes you think.
>>
>>80969874
> Always warm
> Plenty as fuck food
> Savannas and rich jungles strech as far as the eye can see
> Lots of pussy and tribal warfare banter going on
Lets be fucking honest, why the fuck would you want to do anything besides just lounge around all day
>>
>>80967573

Well im sure africa has mythology to draw from.
>>
>a small nation under threat from some large county like Songhai fighting against the odds and taking down the big bad guy, only to have the white conquerors arrive just as things are getting good
I'd watch some sort of alternate history drama about Africa
>>
>>80967573
>high fantasy
>Africa

clean water and no rape?
>>
>>80969970

this. The native americans hadn't invented the wheel either, nor the ancient inca, and they had an almost near comparable civilization to the pale skins.

the real winners of civilization are the Chinese if we're gonna be honest about human history
>>
>>80969054
>richest man in history and the only time the price of gold in the Mediterranean was controlled by a single person was some dumb nig-nog
>>
>>80970024
> It's tribal africans fight arabs against 3 to 1 odds managing to defeat them, saving majority of Europe as unforeseen outcome only to get shit on by Europeans in moments after
>>
>>80967573
Get Sam Delaney on it.

Any white writer would be critically destroyed
>>
>>80967573
Niggers everywhere.
>>
>>80970105
>near comparable civilization to the pale skins.

Oxford university is older than the Aztec civilization
>>
>>80967573
It would be superior in every way that matters to European fantasy.
It would be the fantasy of women's dreams.
>>
>>80969970
> Always warm
You mean uncomfortable and arid
> Plenty as fuck food
Which is why they are emancipated and have no crops?
> Savannas and rich jungles strech as far as the eye can see
Yet they never exploited it, and get rekt by a pack of Lions
> Lots of pussy and tribal warfare banter going on
Lots of STDs and AIDS too. Lose your life in a tribal war because the leader needs anothjer cow
>>
>>80970215
> it's pol autism episode
>>
>>80969970
>Be violently murdered and eaten by your neighbours because someone's cow died and the witch doctor accused you or sorcery
>>
>>80970175
>le Oxford older than Aztec meme
Aztec is name of the kingdom not civilization and there were Toltecs and others before them
>>
>>80970215
>Lots of STDs and AIDS too. Lose your life in a tribal war because the leader needs anothjer cow
AIDS wasn't invented yet in fantasy days. Even if it was everyone knows it's worth the risk, right? Why else would they still be doing it.
>>
>>80967573
Marlon James is writing one, could be good. Probably have a lot of Anansi the Trickster.
>>
File: apocalypto5-e1411435573242.jpg (524KB, 1694x859px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypto5-e1411435573242.jpg
524KB, 1694x859px
>>80968870
>Apocalypto-like story in Africa.

There aren't any cultural or architectural Sub-Saharan African equivalents to Tenochtitlan.
>>
>>80970024
Id watch it.
>>
>>80970105
They didn't use them because there were no incentives. They knew how it worked
>>
>>80970410
>tfw you occupied your continent less than 40,000 years and yet you're more developed than the people occupying the continent mankind supposedly came from.
>>
>>80970410
Mali
>>
>>80967573
I'd like to see a movie about an average yet determined tribesman leading a revolt against an ancient race enslaving his people. That would be pretty cool.
>>
>>80968742
is't that photo from 2005?
>>
>>80967573
>>80970410

African theology will always be a sideplot in fantasy stories, nobody cares enough and they're uncivilised voodoo witchdoctors.
>>
>>80970501
their buildings were adobe, so what hasn't rotted away is just not as awe-inspiring as stone pyramids
>>
>>80967573
Apocalytpo but with raptor and shut
>>
>>80970350
>Be violently burned alive or drowned by your church because someone's cow died and the priest accused you of witchcraft
>>
>>80970782
>tip fedora because your cow died
Eat shit. Niggers are still practicing voodoo and killing people for these reasons. They sacrifice every albino born in Africa. That is not the same thing as Europeans hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>80970947
>That is not the same thing as Europeans hundreds of years ago.

There are still people today who claim to be witches and practice witchcraft.
>>
>>80971011
But no one burns them for it
>>
File: 1490542041375.png (785KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490542041375.png
785KB, 1080x1080px
>>80967573
Since it's fantasy, it doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate. Fuse African tribal culture and myth with ancient Egyptian/Ethiopian + Mayan Empire and add supernatural elements and you have a potentially dank setting
>>
>>80971087
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/gang-burns-seven-people-death-witchcraft-human-bones-albino-malawi-a6907296.html%3Famp

Just a quick google search brings up stories from as recent as 2015. Africa and other third world places are still incredibly governed by their beliefs and superstitions.
>>
>>80971582
Yeah I know I just meant it doesn't happen in western nations. Just negroids.
>>
>No wheels
>No steel
>No domesticated animals

I guess raping children and burning grass?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.