[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In literature you start with the greeks, what should you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: ihjHCz2.jpg (648KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ihjHCz2.jpg
648KB, 1920x1080px
In literature you start with the greeks, what should you start with in film?
>>
the classics, same theme
>>
>>80866971
That image made me think. Now I'm smarter than the majority of /tv/.
>>
>>80866971
The silent comedians. Linder, Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, WC Fields.
>>
>>80867020
There's plenty of classics other than greeks, just classics is rather broad.

>>80867129
Any reason besides them just being the first movies?
>>
>>80867431
They're also the basis for how comedy films would be made and how films would be edited, shot, performed in general.
>>
>>80867507
Isn't that more useful for the more technical people who are studying cinematography? I'm interested too, but it's not the focal point
>>
>>80866971
>In literature you start with the greeks, what should you start with in film?
Japanese
>>
>>80866971
Africans
>>
>>80866971
The Jews
>>
>>80866971
chazelle
>>
>>80867431
In literature "classics" literally refers to Greeks and Romans.
>>
File: batman begins.jpg (119KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
batman begins.jpg
119KB, 1680x1050px
>>80866971
Batman Begins
>>
Westerns. Equal parts intellectual and accessible, always with great visuals. From there you can move backwards and forwards in time. Starting with the silent era will turn you off quick. The Iliad and Odyssey are adventure novels after all. It's not like it's some kind of pretentious hipster cred to start with the Greeks.
>>
>>80866971
YOU WON'T EVER FLY FAST ENOUGH TO MAKE TIME STAND STILL
>>
The Bleeps
The Sweeps
and the Creeps
>>
>>80866971

the bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps
>>
>>80869133
I thought I would be the only one stupid enough to think this joke was funny
>>
>>80866971
The Germans
>>
>starting with the Greeks
Stupid idea, start with literature originally written in English. When building a car, you don't start with the model T. Working backwards is more efficient than forwards. Not to mention, easier.

Film you cannot really compare to literature, especially since the gap between Aristotle and Nietzsche is far less than the gap between birth of a nation and groundhog day. Not to mention, a lot of early films were objectively shit.

So, just lurk /tv/ until you see something interesting, takes about 15 minutes. Kinoz2.eu and then watch it. If you like it, seek out more by the director or writer or their contemporaries.
>>
>>80866971
Alfred Hitchcock. John Ford. Howard Hawks. Stanley Kubrick. Sam Peckinpah. Sergio Leone. Akira Kurasawa.
>>
>>80871181
So a lot of htichcocks stuff, especially his earlier black and white films, are a hell of a lot more "fun" than his more famous stuff. Id take strangers on a Train and the 39 Steps over Rear Window and North by Northwest. Don't get me wrong though, those are absolutely worth watching too.

I haven't seen much of Fords work, but The Searchers is GOAT early western. It'll make you fucking hate native americans. Good stuff.

Howard Hawks you watch for the dialogue. The original Thing from another World is actually pretty fun. Rio Bravo is pretty great too, especially if you like the whole "small group of good guys defend what's theirs" type stories. Another good one is His Girl Friday (one of my all time favorite movies is the Hudsucker Proxy, and it owes a serious debt to HGF)

Watch all of Pekinpahs movies. All of them. Same with kubrick. I REALLY love Paths of Glory.

Leones a bit of a mixed bag, TGTBaTU is of course required watching, but Once Upon a Time in the West is a must watch too (and arguably superior). Have they released an ultimate complete cut of once upon a time in america, yet?

Kurasawas a fucking master of the craft. Tons of great stuff here, personal favorites include 7 Samurai, Drunken Angel, and Throne of Blood.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-03-16-04h16m50s169.png (545KB, 720x384px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-03-16-04h16m50s169.png
545KB, 720x384px
start with popcorn crap that comes out around the time you're a kid because nobody is born patrician

then start watching current "indie" movies because you're a little bored with the big action movies

then watch a bunch of old black and white movies because you want to seem knowledgeable about film history

then watch Robocop. watch it several times and let its message sink in. dig past the leftist surface and recognize that it is the most pro-anarchist movie ever made.

then lose interest in film, don't watch any movies, and post on /tv/ every day.
>>
antonioni, fassbinder, tarkovsky, truffaut and i guess some of godard
then i move into japanese new wave
hitchcock and kubrick are overrated, the europeans did it better
>>
>>80866971

with the slavs, tarkovsky, makavejev
>>
>>80866971
A trip to the moon (1902)

Metropolis

Citizen Kane
>>
File: 1490251925941.jpg (37KB, 297x288px) Image search: [Google]
1490251925941.jpg
37KB, 297x288px
terkovsky
>>
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
>>
The Gods must be Crazy
>>
>>80866971
D.W. Griffith, obviously
>>
No reason to read anything prior the age of enlightnment.

We didn't have Galileo's astronomical knowledge by 1500
We didn't have the knowledge of Newton's theories by 1600
We didn't even have Darwin until 1800

I mean i'm literally reading guys who don't know anything, meanwhile I already knew gravity was a thing since junior high school. Enough said...
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.