[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we all in agreement that this is in fact a masterpiece of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14

File: 8c7bc2fb844d.original.jpg (664KB, 2200x3437px) Image search: [Google]
8c7bc2fb844d.original.jpg
664KB, 2200x3437px
Are we all in agreement that this is in fact a masterpiece of the science-fiction genre, and one of the most ambitious movies ever made?

Also, scifi/spacekino thread.
>>
>>80824279
if you skip all the love transcends space and time shit.

it's definitely a masterpiece of visuals.
>>
>>80824279
Fuck no.
>>
>>80824338
What don't you like about it?

>>80824334
The thing is, it's not necessarily about love IMO. It's just the fact that their emotion drove them to understand how to interpret quantum data and master timespace (ostensibly).

I don't think the message was ever meant to be, "Let me show you on a richter scale just how much I love you."
>>
>>80824334
>if you skip all the love transcends space and time shit.
If you skip that then it wouldn't be a pleb filter for people who can't contextualize dialogue and need to be spoonfed
>>
>>80824279
It's a masterpiece of mellowdramatic shit.
>>
I can't get over the stupid super robot
>>
>>80824561
good thing guardians of the galaxy 2 is coming out, huh anon? xD
>>
>>80824532
all spoonfeeding happened when they were talking about love.
like anne hathaway's hilariously bad monologue midway through the movie.
>>
>>80824611
What was her hilariously bad monologue? When she talks about yearning to see Edmund again?

>>80824592
TARS is unequivocally the best character in the movie.
>>
>>80824600
Nah, good thing I can revisit movies from the past that are actually good and not just caricatures of a facsimile of a good movie like Interstellar.
>>
>>80824725
>interstellar is a caricature of a facsimile

please explain this thesis statement anon
>>
>>80824786
Sure thing, bruh. It is making a goofy likeness of movies that have already ripped off better movies that came before it.

Does that clear it up for you?
>>
>>80824725
h-how? blockbuster closed down where i live..
>>
>>80824828
no, you're still being extremely vague. i'd love examples of every single instance where it ripped off another movie. i would also love for you to state the original-to-homage ratio for me

protip: interpreting what interstellar travel may look like isn't ripping off other scifi movies. it's called rendering a general concept. you know, unless you want to argue that embrace of the serpent isn't original because other movies have shown the amazon. but then again, you're clearly too pleb to have seen that.

D- 2bh
>>
Somehow made a romance involving Hathaway tolerable. It is singular if only for that
>>
File: 1340511456923.gif (1MB, 412x516px) Image search: [Google]
1340511456923.gif
1MB, 412x516px
95% of the film consists of explaining you shit, so when you finally stop being the derpy little nigger you are and understand it, you think it's a smart film.

They took pride in the scientific accuracy but not only did they take too many liberties but the whole Miller's planet subplot doesn't make sense because of how time dilation would work.

Trained astronauts would never buy Dr. Mann's bullshit about the surface and ammonia.

POWER OF LOVE LOL
>>
>>80824279
obviously bait
>>
>>80825024
>POWER OF LOVE LOL
anyone who uses this as a criticism is legit a brainlet
>>
>>80824334
>love transcends space and time shit

It's referring to the fact that love is the only reasons humans were able to get that far in the first place. It's the only reason humans bothered to search for another habitual planet, and the only reason those 4 were in that tin can in another galaxy.

/tv/ just throws this tantrum because they don't understand the motivating factor of love. Everything has to be clear mathematical data and no emotions allowed because your all autistic fucks that can't comprehend any concept other than pure black and white facts.
>>
>>80825053
t. romantic boylover
>>
>>80825024
>Trained astronauts would never buy Dr. Mann's bullshit about the surface and ammonia.
>t. trained astronaut
>>
>>80825093
i like you anon. post your favorite kino

>>80825111
t. case of failed genetic variation
>>
File: 1417583492774.jpg (190KB, 1268x1695px) Image search: [Google]
1417583492774.jpg
190KB, 1268x1695px
>>80824453
>>80824532
>>80825053
>>80825093
>being this desperate to believe it was actually great writing that's simply too deep for most people instead of what it factually is; a retarded plot device.

Guys, give it up. You're only fooling yourselves
>>
>>80825180
It was on par with "Martha".
>>
File: subpar.jpg (77KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
subpar.jpg
77KB, 600x338px
>>80825180
1/10 troll
>>
>>80824453
>The thing is, it's not necessarily about love IMO. It's just the fact that their emotion drove them to understand how to interpret quantum data and master timespace (ostensibly).
They literally explain that in the movie yet the autist of this board heard love one time and got triggered beyond this galaxy.
>>
File: 1438742223121.jpg (31KB, 318x322px) Image search: [Google]
1438742223121.jpg
31KB, 318x322px
>>80825202
>h-he's totally trolling us guys, no way he's simply pointing out obvious facts that neet virgins try and defend in order to maintain an emotional connection to the movie
>>
File: 1435950907190.png (9KB, 429x431px) Image search: [Google]
1435950907190.png
9KB, 429x431px
>>80825235
>They literally explain that in the movie yet the autist of this board heard love one time and got triggered beyond this galaxy.

so would you say it was... interstellar... autism?
>>
>>80825263
stop typing like a retard, anon. it's time to grow up.

if you think interstellar was saying you can harness gravity by channeling the power of love, then i pity your existence
>>
File: 1418457874717.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1418457874717.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>80825280
Precisely.
>>
>>80825024
>the whole Miller's planet subplot doesn't make sense because of how time dilation would work.
how so?
>>
>>80825180
That's the thing, fucktard, it wasn't even "deep" because the fucking main character literally was telling that to your fucking face.
>>
File: murph.gif (543KB, 512x502px) Image search: [Google]
murph.gif
543KB, 512x502px
TARS, set dubs level to 99%
>>
>>80825053
truth
>>
>>80825235
It's unbelievable.
We're watching a movie where people literally throw their lives away to save the human race, and /tv/ believes people would actually do that without love, like they would do it just because "dude, like science and math and shit lmao"
No, fuck that, no one is going to fuck their own life up just because "science is kewl!"
They would only do it for the love of others.
>>
File: 1444311804465.jpg (70KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1444311804465.jpg
70KB, 400x388px
>tfw your fellow anons actually like interstellar
>>
The movie doesn't make sense on multiple fundamental levels yet some people swear it does but some people also say the 9-11 planes were holograms and you can't win an argument with them either so why bother? Enjoy your movie guys.
>>
>>80825309
>love was the primal biological reason humans went to great lengths to go interstellar and save humanity, and is the only thing known to exist that will work concurrently towards the same goal across time and space
>Without love, we wouldn't have given a shit and even tried

It's not hard to understand, don't think you're special or deep for ''understanding'' the movie.

The fact remains, it's a retarded fucking plot mechanic that didn't work, yet autists like yourself insist it's brilliant in order to maintain an emotional connection to this pile of garbage

You grow up.
>>
>>80825024
>Trained astronauts would never buy Dr. Mann's bullshit about the surface and ammonia.
Only fair argument here.
>>
>>80825391
how doesn't it make sense?

>>80825407
you realize no one is supposed to feel special for understanding what was driving these astronauts, right? you realize no one is supposed to feel like this movie is a lecture on quantum physics?

you hate/deride the movie for simple exposition. my god, you're actually this insecure. did you not understand their motivation the first time or something?
>>
>>80825425
Remember, he did survive on mars for like 2 years by growing his own crops, so people gave him the benefit of the doubt
>>
>>80825263
>Emotional connection to the movie
Oh I see, since you are an autist you think that everyone else also is.
>>
>>80825376
Feels good
>>
>>80825454

I hate the movie because it's garbage that tries to explain it's logical inconsistencies away with ''well it's supposed to be a moral about love, not space'' excuse
>>
>>80825376
I like it.
It's not perfect, but I enjoy it.
I love space and the visuals are lovely.
>>
>>80825505
>posting on /tv/
>thinks he isn't on the spectrum

I've got news for you
>>
>>80825528
so what are the logical inconsistencies? now be fair here and be open to the fact you may just not have understood something. if there are legitimate plot holes or inconsistencies, i'd be happy to admit it as well

also, it's not a moral about love. it's a moral about what drives the human race to consistently break our current limits
>>
>>80825557
>implying this place hasn't been normie central since 2011
>>
>>80825407
>It's not hard to understand, don't think you're special or deep for ''understanding'' the movie.
>>80825333
^read
>it's a retarded fucking plot mechanic that didn't work
wow heavy opinions
>>
>>80825528
>a film about human survival focuses on humans and not on science
wtf? I hate interstellar now
>>
>>80825528
Dude I don't even fucking get where are you fucking getting... First you say that you get mad because "people think it's deep" then you say it's to fill plot holes. Just fuck off.
>>
>>80825557
Possible but at least I'm not the one that gets "emotional connection" to movies.
>>
>>80825359
That line about love wasn't used to justify sacrificing their lives for the mission you filthy revisionist. Hathaway's character said that as the reason to investigate one of dozen or so possible planets. Basically a cornier version of having a gut feeling. It was jarringly lame and unscientific for a pivotal moment like that. Especially when real astronauts are renowned for being stoic and analytical.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>80825746
>heheh, jokes on you m8, I don't get any emotional connection to the arts
>>
if the first comment to such a thread is >>80824334
than u have confirmation its a masterpiece
>>
>>80825561
If the tessaract was created by future humans, then humans would have already survived to build it in the first place in order to save themselves.

Time travel is dumb.
>>
>>80825845
>Hathaway's character said that as the reason to investigate one of dozen or so possible planets

is English not your first language? she adamantly denied her love for Edmund being the driving reason for her wanting to go to that planet instead of Mann's. she admits that even though she believes she's being completely rational, she may be biased, which is why she understands why Cooper directs them to Mann's planet (given the better readings). however, her logic (NOT her emotion) is justified when it turns out her inclination was correct and Edmund's planet is the one that is actually habitable.
>>
>>80825903
yeah, that's just how time travel works man. other great movies in the genre, e.g. Primer, work under similar assumptions. imagine it like a line on a piece of paper and assume every inch of that line (meaning infinite events) is being experienced simultaneously.
>>
>>80825845
No the gut feeling was an excuse, but then coop exposed her love for the guy, and revealed that was the reason she was on the mission, and the reason she wasted to go to that planet instead of the other, more promising ones. And they denied her.
Scientists are human too and put under a great deal of stress they're going to react as humans would. Doesn't matter how good with numbers they are.
>It was jarringly lame
well, women are lame and fuck everything up.
>>
>>80825909
No, she says that she is compelled to follow Edmund because she wants to follow her heart. And love is the one thing that can transcend dimensions, and we should follow it even if we can't understand it. That's literally a plead for irrationalism.
>>
>>80825903
A causal loop paradox is one of the few correct ways to do a time travel story. Nothing triggers me more than people changing the past in sci fi.
>>
>>80825845
And at the moment everyone told her she was full of shit... But later we found out that in some cases that connection is necessary. Hard isn't?
>>
>>80825944
Backwards time travel that creates divergent timelines makes some sense to avoid causality problems, but then it's a pointless exercise because you're not changing the timeline that actually matters. You're just making a new, alternate one.
>>
>>80825867
Feelings? Yeah. Emotional connections? Sorry, I'm not THAT autistic.
>>
>>80826115
I disagree. How did the loop start then? Humans would have had to survive into the future at least one in order to trigger the loop.
>>
Ahhhh... No. Though it was definitely a great movie to watch in the theater.
>>
>>80826084
I'm going to transcribe the conversation for you

>Cooper: We no longer have the fuel to visit both [planets], so we have to choose.
>Romily: But how? They're both promising. Edmund's data is better but Dr. Mann is the one still transmitting.
>Brand: We have no reason to suspect Edmund's data would have soured. His world has key elements to sustain human life.
>Cooper: As does Dr. Mann's.
>Brand: (Sharply) Cooper, this is my field; and I really believe Edmund's is the better prospect.
>Cooper: Why?
>Brand: Gargantua—that's why. Look at Miller's planet. Hydrocarbons, organics, yes... but no life, sterile. We'll find the same thing on Mann's.
>Romily: Because of the black hole?
>Brand: Murphy's Law. Whatever can happen will happen. Accident is the first building block of evolution, but when you're orbiting a black hole, not enough can happen. It sucks in asteroids and comets and other events which would otherwise reach you. We need to go further afield.
>Cooper: You once said that Dr. Mann... was the best of us.
>Brand: (Nodding) He's remarkable. We're only here because of him.
>Cooper: And yet here he is (pointing to Mann's planet). He's on the ground and he's sending a very unambiguous message telling us to come to his planet.
>Brand: (Conceding nod.) Granted, but Edmund's data is more promising.
>Romily: We should vote.
>Cooper: (Sighing) Well, if we're going to vote, there's something you should know. Brand, he has a right to know.
>Brand: (Scoffs) That has nothing to do with it (slightly off-put expression on her face).
>Romily: What does?
>Cooper: She's in love with Wolf Edmunds.
>Romily: Is that true?
>Brand: Yes... and that makes me want to follow my heart... But maybe we've spent too long trying to figure this out with theory.
>Cooper: You're a scientist, Brand—
>Brand: (Interjects) So listen to me when I say that love isn't something we invented; it's observable, powerful. It has to mean something.

1/2
>>
>>80826329
>Cooper: Love has meaning, yes. Social utility, social bonding, child rearing...
>Brand: (Frustrated) We love people who have died. Where's the social utility in that?
>Cooper: None.
>Brand: Maybe it means something more, something we can't yet understand. Maybe it's some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive. I'm drawn across the universe to someone I haven't seen in a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that even if we can't understand it yet.
>Silence from the other two while they exchange looks.
>Brand: Alright, Cooper... yes. The tiniest possibility of Wolf again excites me. That doesn't mean I'm wrong.
>Cooper: Honestly, Amelia... it might.
>Brand diverts her gaze, sniffles, and abruptly leaves.
>Cooper: TARS, chart a course for Dr. Mann's.

--- Scene cut ---
[On their way to Mann's planet]

>Cooper: Amelia, I'm sorry.
>Brand: (Tersely) You were just being objective. Unless you're punishing me for screwing up on Miller's planet.
>Cooper: No, this wasn't a personal decision.
>They then go on to discuss the possibilities after scouting Mann's planet.

Her reason for voting for Edmund's planet is initially grounded in logic. When Cooper suggests she may have a different motive, she describes at length how she feels about possibly seeing Edmund again and implies she may be conflating emotion with logic, though she tries to stay unbiased.

They then decide to go to Mann's planet because they saw the danger in Brand's (like you said) possible appeal to irrationality.

I really don't see how your critique holds up at all. The entire conversation was handled very evenly.
>>
>>80826195
>>80826237

There aren't divergent timelines—at least not ones that are relevant to the specific story of this universe's Cooper undergoing a mission to save the human race. It just so happens that this has already all happened due to how relativity works. It's like how Miller had been gone for 50+ years, though once they get to her planet, she may just have died a few minutes ago. Gravitational shifts affect how a given observer perceives chronological progression.

All things that can happen, have happened. It's a matter of where in the timeline we are observing a given event through the eyes of a given observer, who is one iteration of infinite iterations that have experienced a given timeline.
>>
>why visit a planet going around a black hole
>why think space exploration is pointless?
>Really, no cure for blight? get some GMO's you dumb fucks. Or get on the soylent bandwagon
>your future is farming, but all the farming is done by robots anyway. so why should you become a fuckin farmer?
>I'll just leave the clue to saving the human race in morse code that will translate into latitude and longitude. how about you spell it out instead? you know how much of a fuckin longshot that crap is?
>you wanna go to that planet because of LOVE?! you're a damn scientist and you wanna visit a planet that has very little scientific backing to being the best option because of LOVE. fuck off
>building larger items for space costs a fuck ton, so lets spend all this money that we barely have to build a massive museum farm.
>all of a sudden, psycho killer plot.
7/10 movie at best. If they had a better reason for leaving earth than blight and some better common sense when it came to the choice of planets to visit and why to visit them then I would have better enjoyed this movie. That and the characters were mostly annoying, the score was overbearing(great score, but the sound balance drowned out the dialogue and the sound effects.) and that robot design made very little sense in the broader scheme of things. Why not have a robot with more fluid motions with more practicality when it came to panels?
>>
>>80826237
>How did the loop start then? Humans would have had to survive into the future at least one in order to trigger the loop
There is no start or end. There wasn't a first time for time to happen, time is infinite.
The wormhole and tesseract were always created by future humans.
This is based on the theory that time is not linear though. Which is not proven.
>>
File: science bitch.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
science bitch.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>80826633

Most of your points have already been discussed, but you make a good point about blight. I imagine they were trying to do something with GMOs, as evidenced by this scene. Is it completely implausible for blight to have such a disastrous, relentless effect in today's world (not a rhetorical question)?
>>
File: neutron star.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
neutron star.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>i could swing around that neutron star
>>
>>80824453
Bazinga!

>>80825053
Bazinga!

>>80825309
Bazinga!

>>80825376
Bazinga!

>>80825454
Bazinga!

>>80825845
Bazinga!

Don't forget to like "I fucking love science" on Facebook and follow the afro scientist on twitter xD
>>
>>80826935
terrible shitpost but quality bump. thanks senpai
>>
>>80824279
Nah... "2001" is still the best in the company !! Although, "Interstellar" is pretty way up there, anon. I really love the way Nolan dealt multi-dimension.
>>
>>80824279
I have mixed feelings on this film

for a movie so centred on the idea of being a near future science fiction movie it gets many, many basic ideas wrong. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to bend the science in favour of cool ideas but the problem with doing so in interstellar is two fold

1. A lot of the ideas weren't dealt with very well.
2. Interstellar sold itself as a hard sci-fi spectacle, it was marketed by having people like black science man go onto web shows and talk about the 'science of interstellar' etc.

Interstellar is trying to be an in depth science fiction movie for people who like that kind of stuff while also being a mass appeal blockbuster and it simply cannot multi-task in this way.

tl;dr it's what a normie would think spacekino is, but is not actually spacekino.
>>
>>80825353
>>80825314
>>80825263
>>80825053
>>80824904
>>80824600
23 posters, 77 replies. Just how hard are you samefagging?
>>
>>80825391
No way!! We wuz 5th dimensiins n sheeeeit. Love guided us through black holes.
>>
>>80826633
>>all of a sudden, psycho killer plot.
That was good though, it came out of nowhere and suddenly added real intensity to the movie
>>
>>80824279
2 hours of matthew mcconaughey crying iin space.... rad
>>
>immediately loses all credibility the moment he and his ship aren't shredded by the black hole.
>>
>>80830533

The ship was protected by the fourth dimensional humans that transcended the physical realm.
>>
File: 5295-2.jpg (172KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
5295-2.jpg
172KB, 680x1020px
Damn Anne Hathaway looked candid in this.

The movie is long but ended up alright. There's a lot of math, physics write downs in the halfway through and maybe scenarios but it's all done for the entertainment and didn't complicate the plot more than it had business to
>>
Way too much exposition and not just for the science bits. Why is an astronaut explaining to another astronaut what a wormhole is only just as they are about to go into one?
Characters constantly tell you how they feel. Why even have actors?
Why even consider Millers planet? Why couldn't they figure out that only an hour passed on Millers since the scientist visited it before actually going to the surface?
Why does noone figure out that the ice planet is uninhabitable the moment they set foot on it.
That stupid quote that Michael Cane repeated like 5 times.
What happened to the plague at the end? In the beginning of the movie they said that they couldn't grow plants even in isolation because the plague still destroyed them. So how could they grow them in space? Why didn't they just do that in the first place?
The movie attempts to be really emotional but for me personally, it fell completely flat. I don't think Nolan is a good director when it comes to emotional impact.
Why did the wristwatch keep moving after it was removed from the room?
>>
>>80824279
I was blown away up until the last 1/4
>>
>>80824334
I never got why people freak about this it was always obvious to me that Annes character put this forward as an act of desperation when faced with the fact she wouldnt be able to save her boyfriend.
>>
>muh love for muh stupid bitch daughter who I haven't seen in 20 years transcends space and time

garbage
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.