/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't horror films be truly scary? You all know you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: 1443794661903.cached.jpg (205KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1443794661903.cached.jpg
205KB, 2000x1333px
Why can't horror films be truly scary?

You all know you've had 1,000,000 ideas for better and scarier things than anything that currently exists in any film or the particular movie that you're watching

I feel that most movies waste setting and creatures and tones on being mediocre and only somewhat dreadful or spooky or startling
>>
It's much easier to imagine scary things, but perfectly translating your psyche to the screen where actors have to physically perform it would be an impossible feat.

Can one even make a movie that's TRULY scary? I don't think it's possible for a work of art to affect people on that level. There's too much of an alienation between the viewers and the screen -- we're always kind of aware it's just a film. To enjoy horror, you have to find other things to appreciate.
>>
>>80782466
the THING (1982) was pretty damn scary. i remember Hide and Seek (2005) being scary until you find out the twist is really stupid and boring. i was really expecting it to be some kind of alien or demon or something else really terrifying for the scenario but it fell flat. signs was scary toward the beginning.
>>
>>80782466
I found the Blair Witch Project to be truly unnerving when I first saw it because I kept trying to imagine what she looked like.
>>
File: 1x04_Key_Decisions_(51).png (707KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1x04_Key_Decisions_(51).png
707KB, 1440x810px
>any kind of beheading in movies would always fuck me up as a kid
>even when it was done in a comedic way
>watch Dagestan Beheadings from a link I found on /b/ like 8 years ago
>no longer feel anything
>horror movies feel like a joke now
>>
File: Signs.jpg (198KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
Signs.jpg
198KB, 728x409px
>>80784098
>signs
This piece of shit traumatised and killed my childhood.
>>
>>80784142
Agreed. I think that film can reach people on a deeper level than most horror films. Strangely, some are just bored by it.
>>
>>80782466
>Why can't horror films be truly scary?
Because different things scare different people and it's difficult to make a movie that encapsulates everybody's fears.
>>
Instead of letting the audience scare themselves the movie tries to scare them. People fear different things and the more you show the better it is. The audience naturally fills in the gap with what scares them.
>>
File: Anya-Taylor-Joy.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Anya-Taylor-Joy.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>80782466
good to know my vvitchfu is still a pure virgin
>>
File: 1483598721166.jpg (28KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
1483598721166.jpg
28KB, 400x396px
>>80785183
>>
>>80784281

>horror movies feel like a joke now

This. Horror movies that does not resort to jump scares and le creepy crescendo music will earn all my respect.

But, srsly, if you've seen too much real life horrors, you've probably been heavily desensitized and I doubt there's any movie that can scare or gross you out anymore.

Reading is better to be honest senpai.
>>
Why are her eyes so far apart?
>>
File: NEDQCOeN8RTRID_3_b.jpg (34KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
NEDQCOeN8RTRID_3_b.jpg
34KB, 600x316px
Just wait for September for pic related. You will get your scary kino.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.