[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't The Mist held in the same regard as The Thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: The-Mist.jpg (51KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
The-Mist.jpg
51KB, 618x412px
Why isn't The Mist held in the same regard as The Thing? The Mist really nails that sense of claustrophobia and paranoia, and the creature design is excellent.
>>
normies cant handle a dark ending
>>
The CGI didn't age so good.
>>
Ending was a copout. Like one of the dozens of other shitty horror movies that goes out of its way to be as dark as possible in the end.
>>
How about the fog or the keep
>>
Stephen King is a hack and the CGI aged like milk
>>
>>80694344
go to bed Stephen King.
>>
>>80694298
It's not like the Things special effects have aged all that well either
>>
>>80694434
There's something about practical that is easy to look past where as poorly aged CGI doesn't cut it. I am not saying this as a dis to CGI. CGI is a brilliant tool in good movie making.
>>
>>80694434
Oh fuck yes it has. The kennel scene alone is still intense and scary as fuck 35 years later.
>>
>>80694224
it suffers from some weak acting at points but it isn't a bad movie.

The Thing also thrived due to a huge amount of suspense, The Mist doesn't have said level of suspense
>>
>>80695340
I agree. I enjoyed The Mist for sure, but I didn't think it as well done as The Thing.
>>
>>80694434
But they have, the remake made like 4 years ago looks far worse.
>>
>>80694434
The Thing has just about the best practical effects movie history...
>>
File: Thing.jpg (108KB, 2064x994px) Image search: [Google]
Thing.jpg
108KB, 2064x994px
>>80695665
>>
>>80694381
SK liked the ending of the movie.
>>
>>80694344
I just want you to know that you are not alone on this one. I liked The Mist right up until the ending. It's over the top. I didn't like how the mist was actually explained, how it really was a military experiment gone awry. Even then I don't like how the military cleaned up this mess and saved the day in the big picture. I don't like how that one woman who left earlier miraculously survived up to that point and succeeded where Thomas Jane failed. The movie ending has no sense of mystery, ambiguity, or dread. It's hackneyed.
>>
>>80694369
The Fog is a good ghost story the likes of which we don't het any more. The Keep had neat ideas, a god tier soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, but it was a mess in execution.
>>
>>80695925
Stephen King is notorious for being bad at endings. Are you sure you want to trust his opinion here?

I actually think his ending was better for what it's worth.
>>
>>80696674
Too many horror movies do this. They don't understand that the whole point of horror is the unknown. For example, look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync

I'm not pretending that this is god-tier horror. But it is genuinely unsettling. And what makes it unsettling is the ambiguity of whatever it is that's causing this whole thing to happen. When somebody goes out of their way to try to explain horror, then it starts to fall apart and become sort of a joke. We're scared of darkness, the unknown, and death, just like we were when we were little kids. Putting a face and an explanation on it ruins everything.

Remember how scary "Sinister" was, until they showed the face of that demon thing and he looked like Michael Jackson?
>>
The Shining TV movie made by Stephen King is better than Stanley Kubrick's pretentious euro trash.

PROVE ME WRONG FAGGOTS
>>
>>80696981
You know what's up. Nice link by the way.
>>
>>80696984
Stephen King did not make an adaptation of The Shining. Mick Garris did that.

Proved you wrong haha.
>>
I really enjoyed the Miat but I thought the story was really strong so that might be Stephen King's praise
>>
>>80697481
Yeah
>>
Darabont is a retard. People don't hate the ending because it is dark. They hate it because he shoots his family and then a split second later the army shows up. It's so cartoonish.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.