[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>entrusts frodo with the ring because "hobbits are pure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 6

File: Gandalf-2.jpg (154KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gandalf-2.jpg
154KB, 1024x768px
>entrusts frodo with the ring because "hobbits are pure enough of heart to resist the ring's corruption"
>already met gollum years before, a hobbit who was rapidly corrupted by the ring

What did Gandalf mean by this?
>>
>>80681986
He had the Big A! The Long Death! The Silent Wandering! The Cruel Depart! The Childhood Returned!
>>
>>80681986
because Shirefolk > Riverfolk
>>
>bilbo was able to resist it, it wasn't entrusted to him
>frodo wasn't the first choice
>ultimately he was the only choice
>>
>>80681986
It's less likely to corrupt Hobbits than any other race, but it still can. Frodo was the most pure Hobbit and the best choice in whom to entrust the fate of the ring, and he still became corrupted in the end. It was a very high stakes endeavor with little chance of success.
>>
didnt it take literal God to push it over the edge into the lava
>>
>>80682519
Is that what happens in the books? Doesn't Sam do it?
>>
>>80682519
>>80682670
In the book, Frodo succumbs to the ring and puts it on. Right before the nazgul show up and Aragorn's army is defeated Gollum charges in Randy Orton style, chomps off Frodo's ring finger, and falls into Mount Doom cheering and laughing that he finally got his precious back.
>>
gollum had it for centuries
bilbo had it for like 80 years

takes a hobbit awhile to truly succumb to it

takes a man all of 5 minutes. see: faramir, isildur
>>
>>80682416
Excuse me but Samwise was the purest Hobbit desu desu-nai sempai desu chan
>>
>>80681986
Gollum is not that bad through

He was fucking autistic. The ring would be telling him to leave the cave and seek power ; )

But gollum was fuck you, I'm going to fuck around at the bottom of this mountain for 800 yrs. He was obsessed with getting to the "roots" of things. That's why he was chilling at the root of the Misty mountains.

Gollum was overall, a decent guy who's Neet autism helped prevent the destruction of middle Earth.
>>
>>80682727
>In the book
isn't that exactly what happens in the movie too?
>>
>>80682780
If I had the Ring I would only use it for good, it's a shame I wasn't in Middle Earth
>>
>>80682780
didn't gollum murder his friend for it immediately after they found it?
>>
>>80682780

When you think about it like that, Frodo is pretty pathetic. How long did it take for him to reach Mount Doom?

I suppose the fact that he had to move closer and closer to the Dark Lord himself made a difference?
>>
>>80683069
See? Here we go again. Fucking Men.
>>
>>80683070
that's a pretty good point but we really don't know how much of an asshole smeagol was before he found the ring

>>80683099
proximity to mt. doom amplifies its effects exponentially
>>
>>80681986
>‘Only too true, I fear,’ said Gandalf. ‘But there was something else in it, I think, which you don’t see yet. Even Gollum was not wholly ruined. He had proved tougher than even one of the Wise would have guessed -as a hobbit might. There was a little corner of his mind that was still his own, and light came through it, as through a chink in the dark: light out of the past. It was actually pleasant, I think, to hear a kindly voice again, bringing up memories of wind, and trees, and sun on the grass, and such forgotten things.
>‘But that, of course, would only make the evil part of him angrier in the end - unless it could be conquered. Unless it could be cured.’ Gandalf sighed. ‘Alas! there is little hope of that for him. Yet not no hope. No, not though he possessed the Ring so long, almost as far back as he can remember. For it was long since he had worn it much: in the black darkness it was seldom needed. Certainly he had never “faded”. He is thin and tough still. But the thing was eating up his mind, of course, and the torment had become almost unbearable.
>>
that's dumbledore you fucking idiot
>>
>>80683099
The ring was also trying to get back to Sauron more actively. Its will was likely more dormant with Bilbo and Gollum.

Also, it corrupted Gollum almost right away. Dunno why that guy thinks it was centuries.
>>
>>80683221
>>80683180
>>
>>80682780
the ring doesnt corrupt faramir in the book
>>
>>80683273
I meant boromir

sean bean
>>
>>80683203
no, it's obi-wan kenobi, you fucking mong
>>
>>80683170

kys elf scum.
>>
>>80683358
>muh gift of Ilúvatar
>>
File: elrond.jpg (308KB, 680x798px) Image search: [Google]
elrond.jpg
308KB, 680x798px
>>80683170
>>
He was bullshitting because he didn't want to take it himself and risk the tempatation
>>
>>80682783
PO
>>
>>80683655
TA
>>
Gollum was actually pretty resistant to the ring and carried it along for a fucklong time where humans would have fallen long before

good job being a fucktard that cant understand a simple story
>>
>>80683686
t. Tolkien
>>
>>80683069

I heard that if Sam got corrupted by the ring he would have used its power to make a big ass garden that covered the continent. It's probably just speculation, but that doesn't sound so bad.
>>
>>80683670
TOES
https://youtu.be/qrQVFZx7XX4?t=4
>>
Bilbo was based.
>go on adventures
>come home
>use unfathomably powerful artifact for parlor tricks
>>
>>80684031
What would you do if you were just a simple man minding your own business in your house all day and you suddenly got THE Ring in your possession?

I'd probably wear the ring to be invisible and then sneak into people's houses and take a shit in random places to confuse them
>>
>>80684100
rape and steal
>>
>>80684100
Probably nothing.

If I got bored, sneak around people's houses and do whatever, but I'd imagine that would get boring after about 2 days.
Maybe rob a bank. Someplace big that is insured and untracable. Cause money always comes in handy and I'd probably get a movie out of it: the perfect robbery or something.

>rape
Seems a bit boring, innit?
Not to mention, people would be jumping on your dick for a ring of invisibility.
>murder
Same as above. Maybe an assassination?

I'd probably just spend all day lurking for suggestions on dank irl memery only I could pull off.

I am a lazy benevolent.
>>
>>80684100
When does your shit become visible? Is it after you shit it out, or will it be an invisible shit if you keep the ring on and run away, leaving their room smelling like shit and they can't find it?
>>
Gollum wasn't a Hobbit. He was to Hobbits what neanderthals are to humans, more or less, but not so much different physically as culturally.
>>
>>80684100
>occasionally wear it for the lulz like Bilbo did
>eventually get corrupted because I'm weak willed and minded
>go full Gollum mode
>>
>>80683523
honestly the best LOTR meme
>>
>>80682783
Sam is my favorite character in anything ever desu. And I'm absolutely nothing like him in any way.
>>
>>80684253

> white boi needs an all powerful ring to do that
>>
>>80683523
Is this what happens in the books? Because he fucking yells at him to dump it in the lava in the film.
>>
>>80684534
Nope. He was a Stoor, a breed of hobbit.
>>
>>80684640
No, he didn't even go to Mt. Doom
>>
>>80681986
Gollum was not a full hobbit, but it was that part of him that allowed him to live for hundreds of years in a cave. If you read the book you would know he was not a full hobbit. He was like a mix of man and hobbit, an older race.
>>
>>80684100
>chill with it in my pocket
>live for 180 years
Sounds good to me.
though I imagine the lust for power would take me pretty damn quick realistically
>>
>>80684667
I thought the Stoors were the youngest race of hobbit, the Fallohides were the oldest.
>>
>>80684716
No, he was of the group of Hobbits that began moving West first, he was a full Hobbit, more analogous to Cro-Magnon and modern man than Neanderthal and modern man. Same exact species, slightly earlier variety and rarer in the time period LOTR takes place.
>>
The more powerful you are, the worse the effects of the ring are, that's why they couldn't have that shit around the eagles (giant invisible flying eagles jesus christ how terrifying) and why Gandalf sperged out when Frodo offered it to him. So, give it to a hobbit, literally bitch ass weak little nothing midgets who happen to be very quiet and sneaky. So, perfect.
>>
>>80684553
>feel irritational feelings
>find a trusted friend
>tell him about it
>you both start feeling the same
>tell a third
So on
It would dilute the power, but should 99% prevent corruption.
>>
>>80684782
>tfw still shitposting on /tv/ in 2160 AD
What a hellish existence that would be.
>>
>>80684924
I'd probably get irrationally paranoid about the first one wanting to steal it from me.
>>
>>80684626
Without getting caught, Tyrone
>>
What would happen if Gandalf wore the ring?
>>
>>80685374
Probably becomes the new Sauron
>>
>>80681986
Sometimes I lose hope for humanity with peoples shitty attention spans nowadays.

First off, nobody said Hobbits were immune, they're only able to resist longer to it's corruption, but even they fall eventually. Gollum had it for a very long time before he became as corrupted as he was. Frodo had it for not nearly as long and even he was starting to become corrupted by it if you paid attention to the movie at all. Especially near the end when he straight up refused to throw the ring, and only his scuffle with Gollum sent the ring into the fire.

Tldr Pay attention to the fucking movie.
>>
Aren't dwarves supossed to straight up be immune to being dominated? Maybe Gimly would have been a better candidate to carry the ring.
I mean, there were no pawn shops on the road to Mt Doom to screw over that plan.
>>
>>80685432
Would be worse Gandalf falling for The One Ring, or Galadriel?
>>
File: 1453715756094.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453715756094.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
>>80683927
classic memery
>>
>>80684475
What happens if you put the ring on your shit?
>>
>>80684100
>I'd probably wear the ring to be invisible and then sneak into people's houses and take a shit in random places to confuse them
I'd do it right in front of them. So they see a log materialize and hang in the air for a bit before it plops down right in front of them.
>>
>>80686781
But would happen like you described it? THAT'S the Great Debate
>>
>>80686819
Seeing as poop isn't a part of the body, but rather a byproduct. I don't see why not. Same with piss, spit, whatever.
>>
>Gandalf tells Frodo no one can will themself to damage the ring
>Frodo can't bring himself to throw his ring into his fireplace
>Gandalf expects Frodo to be able to throw the ring into the cracks of Mt Doom
WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?
>>
>>80686724
Nothing. Shit isn't living. If it worked on everything the chain Frodo carries it on would have been invisible.
>>
>>80686873
Clothes aren't part of your body, but we don't see a floating robe and tunic when someone puts on the ring.
>>
>>80683069
t. Isildur
>>
>>80686873
>>80687045

I think you would see the shit in the moment it leaves the body.
>>
>>80687045
hmmm, maybe there's some sort of stealth field that surrounds the wearer?
>>
>>80686629
Gandalf is a Maiar so probably Middle Earth is slightly more JUSTed if he gets the ring.
But in either cases, at the end, Sauron wins.
>>
>>80685716

No one was asking for your outlook on our species you fucking idiot.
>>
>>80688540
This was retarded and completely uncalled for.
I love this board.
>>
>>80686976
Shit is like 99% bacteria.
>>
What happens if a body cell wore the ring?
>>
>>80688783
cancer
>>
>>80683895
Iirc the ring tried to tempt him by showing him a world that was a vast garden, since he loves gardening, but he didn't see the point since he already had one
Hobbits don't seem to be tempted because they're not very ambitious. The most ambitious ones we see just want a grand adventure, and the ring existing gives them that anyway
>>
>>80686603
Considering Dwarven kings got their own rings and it amplified their greed so much they dug up demons, it's probably not a good idea to give it to Gimli
>>
File: th.jpg (10KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
10KB, 300x201px
>They wuz once men: great kangz of men.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>80687511
The ring doesn't "make" you invisible, it transports you to the spirit world. So if somebody shits in the spirit world, can you even smell it in the realm of the living?
>>
>>80683003
It's been 10 years since I read the books but wasn't he cast out because he ate a bunch of babies or some shit?
>>
>>80681986
Gandalf was a bit of a retard
>>
>>80681986
>rapidly
He's been down there for hundreds of years bro, he only needs frodo to last a year or two

Plus compared to humans who turn in a few days if not instantly, even a month would be long
>>
>that 1st level in the bad guys story in LOTR conquest where you play as the witch king charging into mt doom, killing frodo and sam and successfully capturing the ring
>>
File: 1459882984641.jpg (215KB, 1203x1447px) Image search: [Google]
1459882984641.jpg
215KB, 1203x1447px
>>80682114
>tfw you will never share elevensies with a qt pure incorruptible shirefolk and stuck with a whore riverfolk
>>
>>80684976
implying our global society won't crumble within the next 100 years
>>
>>80689588
If it transports you to the spirit world how did Gollum jump on and fight Frodo at Mt Doom?
>>
>>80690279
Because the spirit world can interact with the real world, how do you think Ringwraiths walk around?
>>
>>80682780
>takes a man all of 5 minutes
takes you all of one post to assume gender.
>>
Because Riverfolk is fake hobbit. Also even after being corrupted for like 800 years he still helps Frodo and semi got over his addiction just because Frodo called him by his original name... So pretty good
>>
File: hack writing.png (2MB, 1732x1648px) Image search: [Google]
hack writing.png
2MB, 1732x1648px
what did gandalf mean by this?
>>
>>80683895
And that's why Ireland is nothing but potatoes.
>>
>>80686708
What do you know about memes?
Like we gave a damn about you before you put on the mask.
>>
>>80683895
Would his crops be supernaturally nutritious and delicious? Would eating them indirectly corrupt you?
>>
>>80686936
He expected Frodo to get the ring to mt Doom. Hoped for the best after that, I guess.
>>
>>80683099
What >>80683177 >>80683221 said. Also, keep in mind that Frodo had the ring for about 19 years between Bilbo leaving and his and Sam's setting off to Rivendale.
>>
>>80691624
Context of each pic
>>
>>80690259
kek
>>
>>80682230
I dunno, Sam would've been a pretty nice choice.

>>80683273
Yeah. I think for Faramir it was a matter of honor, too. Like Gandalf, he knew about how terrible it was before even encountering it, and flat-out swore he wanted nothing to do with it. I think the temptation was there, but he was able to prepare himself.

Poor Boromir went in thinking using it would actually help Gondor win against the Enemy.
>>
>>80693846
>hear a Balrog coming
>fighting a Balrog
>>
>>80684100
I would probably instantly succumb to it. I've got depression and I'm always angry. I'd probably go murder people at my old work after about a day of wearing the ring. Then I'd probably nap for about 100 years because I'm lazy.
>>
The point of a hobbit is they're weak so it doesn't matter if they're corrupted.

And a human wearing the ring would not become invisible
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.