[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people who liked this movie and its ending LOL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (44KB, 300x431px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 300x431px
>there are people who liked this movie and its ending

LOL SO DEEP : the movie
>>
lolsodeep syfy is immune to criticism thanks to the retarded critical response to 2001, deal w/it
>>
>>80618801
still better than most modern scifi
god i hate all this transhumanist propaganda bullshit
>>
>>80618801
>he can't handle paradoxes
>>
>>80618850
i hate how the right has latched on to transhumanism as something to attack thanks to infowars

just leave it alone, brainlets
>>
>>80618867
>implying anything time teavel related makes for good sci-Fi anymore

This trope is so overused these days its as bad as "nothing is greater than the human spirit"
>>
>>80618801
>there are people who think a movie has to be "le deep" to be good

LOL I'M IGNORANT: the criticism
>>
>>80618874
I'm not part of any right-wing. I'm just sick of transhumanism being regarded as a legitimate perspective into the future instead of mental illness or industrialist propaganda.
>>
>>80618867
>it makes no sense therefore its a paradox
hurrdurr
>>
>>80618801
yeah i have a buddy who is slightly retarded and just messaged me about how"kino" this movie was.. Probably the dumbest most over hyped movie i have seen in a while. He also liked pacific rim if that gives you any indication of how poor his taste is. The writing was horrible so i can't imagine the movie was made for anyone but a common pleb.
>>
>>80618955
Have you read Inhuman Thoughts?

I already know you haven't. This is rhetorical, meant to prove your foolishness.
>>
>>80618917
Name 5 recent scifi films with time travel.

Also there is no time travel in Arrival, only her perception of time changes where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories, she never leaves the current narrative,
>>
>>80618966
google temporal paradoxes my dear amigo friend
>>
File: dignity.jpg (505KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
dignity.jpg
505KB, 2000x1250px
>>
>>80618991
No. Why would I? Have you even read Der Mensch und die Technik or Industrial Society and Its Future?
>>
>>80619052
Embarrassing. You shouldn't have responded.
>>
>>80618801

I liked the premise but holy fuck, the stupid flash forwards are so bad and boring I had to skip them. Fucking normie problems I don't care about your relationshit.
>>
>>80619103
>Embarrassing
>on an anonymous imageboard
See, that's where you're wrong.
>>
>>80618999
To be fair, I don't hate time travel when it's used to to convey a narrative, I enjoyed Looper and Edge of Tomorrow for that.

It's when its the twist that I begin to get mad.

Also
>temporal beings that phase in and out of time periods because of muh fith dimension doesn't count as time travel

Sure...
>>
>>80619136
>Looper
That movie sucked and made no sense
>>
>>80619136
>that phase in and out of time periods

Wrong, they experience the past, present and future at the same time, that's why it's all connected and that's why it's non-linear.
It's all happening at the same time. It's not like they watch a youtube video of the future/past and then continue on with their life.
>>
>>80618917
>time travel
is there anyone who dislikes this movie that actually understood the plot? serious question.
>>
>>80619251
>that
*whom
>>
>i learnt how a circle is round
>this activated my almonds, and now i can see the future

Whoa, so DEEP!
>>
>>80619369
woah, this guy right here slays
>>
I liked it until the Chinese pandering.
>>
>>80619728
this is true
fuck china
>>
so everyone who learns the heptopods' language can see time the same way as Adams do?
>>
>>80618801
Fuck this dumb pile of shit. The director is great, and yet stupidity is leaped on itself from the beginning. And it's not the short story's fault. It's just not good in any way as a film. I remember walking out of the theater after seeing Contact and feeling let down, but I didn't know why. This time I knew, because it's fucking bullshit, and they should be ashamed.
>>
>>80620077
I don't quite get your problem yet.
>>
>>80619899

More or less. The line about how 'language colors the way your mind works' is total fucking bullshit, but it's basically there to hint that the alien's version of circular thinking, allows you to circumvent linear time.

It's under-thought, overly emotional tripe, yes, but it shouldn't have been hard for people to decipher.
>>
>>80619251

I had no problem discerning the plot and the concepts of non-linear thinking, and I tend to enjoy these concepts being presented in a decent movie/tv show. The reason this particular movie sucks is because it's boring, predictable as fuck and blatant propaganda.
>>
>>80618801
>Sapir-Whorf hypothesis

wew into the trash it goes, absolute dogshite
>>
>>80620225
I want to ask you what you predicted about it, but I'd rather know why people keep saying it's propaganda and for what. Please elaborate.
>>
>>80620165
?Decipher?
No- it's corporate waste, dumped nowhere. It's made for a generation raised on pop science who then gave their children reddit "for the future." It's a nightmare of blank values in the service of a nihilism barely shrouded by "discovery" and "whoa, aliens". It's a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>80619251

So you are so stupid that you thought a transparent poorly written flick mass marketed to the general population was too difficult to understand and that's why people didn't like it? Let me guess your favorite movie of 2013 was Upstream Color and you like watching your girlfriend get fucked by someone else.
>>
>>80620290
I cannot decipher this comment. Someone help.
>>
>>80618801
>LOL SO DEEP : the movie
It's really not; maybe you're retarded?
>>
File: Save Pepe 2.png (661KB, 930x934px) Image search: [Google]
Save Pepe 2.png
661KB, 930x934px
>>80618801
>LOL SO DEEP : the movie

But it wasn't.

It wasn't complicated at all. This would have been a great Twilight Zone episode, or a standalone Star Trek episode. It introduces a concept and philosophizes a bit about it. It shows off something cool (in this case the aliens, their gravity shifting, their way of speaking/thinking).

And at the end you think "neat, but why did they stretch this 30 minute episode out into a three parter".

That's really where it loses its punch. What would have been a hallmark episode on a scifi show becomes a meandering movie. It's not a bad concept, it's the wrong format.
>>
>>80618801
>>there are people who liked this movie and its ending

I don't really consider them "people", they are subhuman to me.

These worthless fucks are the death of Western cinema.
>>
>>80620375
Eh. While I see your point, I think what made the movie so enjoyable for me was the slow pacing. Shoving the thing into 30 minutes would have gotten rid of that.

You could have done 2001 as a Twilight Zone episode as well if you really wanted to..
>>
>>80620443
I agree with this poster. It's a slow movie and I liked that.
>>
>>80619103
what the fuck are you on about dumbass?
>>
>>80620443
Is this bait? No? What?

>slow pacing
>"Hey guys, there's this great new movie out?"
>"Oh how is it?"
>"Well the pacing is really slow and it's a fucking borefest of nothing."
>"Whoa"

You i guess
>>
>>80620443

You're joking right? Twilight Zone and Star Trek are notoriously action-less and slow moving.

I think we just have different ideas of how much was filler in the movie. Add another 15 on top of that and have it be the long format tv show they're doing now then.

>You could have done 2001 as a Twilight Zone episode as well if you really wanted to..

No you couldn't. You could do a Simpsons pastiche of 2001 in 20 seconds if you want. You can't condense it much. And that really is the point. The slow pace in 2001 is necessary. In Arrival there's not enough meat to work with, and ultimately an idea at the core that isn't so novel.

We've seen timetravel concepts like this before, over and over. This is really why I think it should have been a "Darmok" type episode of some scifi show.

I can't take away your amazement or enjoyment of the movie, or your disagreement. Anyway, that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?
>>
>>80618801
>yo hon hon esse, i'm going to make a bunch of michael bay tier movies with pro-totalitarian themes
>but i'm going to do them all with the broodiest instagram filters! Fucking le kiñographico homes, AMOR DE RAZA!!!!

Villenueve is a the biggest meme since the Silent Era.
>>
>>80620287

Globalism.
Men shutting up and listening to women.
>>
This movie is anti-christian propaganda.
See how the aliens(false prophets sent by literally Satan) teach her a language that makes her think she can experience time non-linearly, but the truth is that she can see the events that Satan wants her to make happen, and thinking that's the way it's supposed to be she does exactly what he wants(this happens with anyone who learns the language).
After the final events of the movie her daughter raises from the dead to become the global administrator(she's literally the anti-christ).
Remember the scene where she has direct contact with the aliens?
They put the dark seed of Satan in her.
>>
>>80620312
Best explanation of this piece of demoralizing propaganda trash in the thread tbqfyfn
>>80620290
>>
>>80620606
It's not boring though.
>>
>>80620616
Well, I obviously disagree. First of all, it's not really about time-travel. The aliens are not physically manifest in a higher-dimensional spacetime as to freely step around in our four-dimensional spacetime.

>The slow pace in 2001 is necessary.
How is it necessary in 2001 but not in Arrival?

Anyway, I'm just surprised how this movie seems to rub people the wrong way. You'd think they enjoy something slightly different in this MarvelDC shitshow of mainstream cinema we're in right now..
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 197x255px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 197x255px
Aspiring Sci-Fi writer here.

While watching the movie, I couldn't stop thinking about different ways how the movie could be better. One thing I came up with (to keep the Chinese market interested) is to have a Sinologist explain how Chinese cognition is affected by the S-W hypothesis considering how pictographic their calligraphy is. For example, the how the character for "tree" evolved from a tree drawing. How the character for "forest" consists of two character for "tree" and how the character for "dense forest" consist of three "tree" characters. Then, from there, solve the heptapod's circles.

r8 me

Honestly, I would taken 2 hours of the main character explaining how Saphir-Whorf varies across different languages than how reading circles allows her to perceive the dimensional crossections of space-time.
>>
>>80620816
Yeah, you should just purge that idea.
>>
>>80620816
Your ideas are logical and relevant, too bad somebody didn't give you ten dollars or something to give a fuck about a good story. Keep writing bro.
>>
Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened
>>
>>80620779
>it's not really about time-travel. The aliens are not physically manifest in a higher-dimensional spacetime

Now you're just splitting hairs and arguing semantics. It's directly pointed out in the movie that they "perceive time differently". You can abstract that if you want, but for the human protagonist it certainly is the same as how time travel (passive) has been portrayed countless times. Saying "oh but she's just being made aware of it not physically moving" is grasping for straws.

>How is it necessary in 2001 but not in Arrival?

I guess the question really is; what do you think 2001 is /about/?

You can put the concepts in Arrival pretty succinctly into a paragraph. I really doubt you can capture what 2001 means to say that way. That is why it's necessary in that movie to guide the viewer along an experience. Most of the plot is really just there to ground the viewer for what comes later.

> You'd think they enjoy something slightly different in this MarvelDC shitshow of mainstream cinema we're in right now..

Make no mistake, I'd take another dozen feature length Star Trek episodes over capeshit and sequel-itis.

Hell, this is the kind of thing I'd always hoped a TNG movie would be.
>>
>>80618801
>criticizing Arrival
>can't even speak two languages.
>expects to understand the Saphir-Whorf hypothesis.

Hahahhaa, tapos kayo tong nagmamarunong,
>>
>>80620921

This really sums up the nagging problem I've had with all those movies. Thanks.
>>
>>80620922
>Now you're just splitting hairs and arguing semantics.
Fair point, however you were using the word time-travel. It's more like watching a tape of future and past events.

>I guess the question really is; what do you think 2001 is /about/?
Human evolution and bursts therein induced by higher powers? Don't really know, haven't seen the movie in like 26 years or so.
>>
>>80620287
I'll do you one better and give you examples for both.

I predicted right away that she was seeing her future daughter's death and that Jeremy Renner was the dad. I also predicted right away that China was gonna go rogue and only be stopped through the plucky determination of our female protagonist.

As for propaganda, the entire premise of the movie is that the military is always wrong, diplomacy is always right, and aliens are always cryptic but well-meaning.

After that you can look at the more indirect stuff, like China being super strong and militant, but willing to back down if you throw their traditionalism in their face, or how society is incapable of holding together in the face of first contact without a one world government telling everyone how to live.
>>
>>80620921
>They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation
I know this is just old troll pasta but this sentence is bullshit. Arrival introduces the concept of non-linear perception of time and that's it. Everything is left up to interpretation that is not the story of the film itself.
Also, I haven't seen Interstellar but what does The Martian have to do with anything? That one is literally just a popcorn sci-fi flick without much philosophical ado.
>>
>>80620921
but Interstellar is just a great space adventure movie,you choose to make it more than it is
Arrival is just garbage
>>
>>80620921
It's fucking retarded to think scifi needs to be a puzzle
Some of the best works of fiction I have read aren't about trying to figure shit out, they are about introducing concepts and ideas that are either new or come from and different angle and you are left wondering about them for the longest time.
>>
>>80621112
So what's the moral of Starship Troopers then?
Not the movie, the book.

Go on, I'll wait.
>>
>>80618867
Imagine being this stupid.
>>
>>80621216
America > Illegal Aliens

And yes, they became illegal aliens as soon as an American stepped on the planet.

>>80620264
That's what you get when you send a linguist instead of an epistemologist/cognitive scientist.
>>
I hate these threads, because there's always some dumb fuck or troll who "really like the Intersetall or Arrive or Mars on Redit". People present their arguments why this movie is shit. And then there is no progress, because people are dumb. Why are we going through the motions again. Is the bluray coming out soon? I mean, just. stop.
>>
>>80618801

So deep?

It was literally the real plot to transformers.

I enjoyed the movie.
>>
>>80621369
So you never read the book then.

So much for being an 'authority' on good sci-fi storytelling.
>>
Someone tell me why is the movie "shit" without the use of words like "propaganda, reddit, le deep" etc.
You know, actual arguments about filmmaking elements.

If 2001 came out today you would shit on the "propaganda" too
>>
>>80620922
>I guess the question really is; what do you think 2001 is /about/?
2001 was about how humanity was reaching a point of technological advancement which combined with the philosophical poverty of modern civilization could instigate our own extinction. The astronaut proves demonstrates that it is possible for mankind to overcome the existential threat of proliferating technology by achieving personal enlightenment.

That's about .5 paragraphs.
>>
>>80621387
There will similarly always be elitist like >>80620921 who think anything less than 2001 or Eraserhead is trash. Apparently, a movie is only good if it outsmarts you and leaves you a confused mess of unanswered questions subject only to "viewer participation."
>>
>>80621604
the story telling progress makes no sense since its supposedly told from a 4th dimension point of view which can never make sense to us so it fails to deliver
>>
>>80621062
>As for propaganda, the entire premise of the movie is that the military is always wrong, diplomacy is always right
I thought it was about how the CIA is always right, and on a broader scale the global operations of the world superpowers' intelligence agencies is the only thing that stands between we mass of savages and the abyss.
>>
>>80621604
Generic plot elements with highly predictable outcomes. Flat, boring shots, that do little to convey the enormity of the situations presented in the plot, other than the ship is large and alien. Very unconvincing acting on part of the supporting cast, Mr CIA-guy being the worst offender. Every thing about the main character is emotionally manipulative specifically because they wrote her poorly, and knew people would have a hard time relating.

There's more, but I don't feel like writing a dissertation for some pedo on /tv/.
>>
>>80621745
Wow, it's crazy how different subjective movie-going experiences can be.
>>
>>80621647
God, I can't believe I'm responding. You're not entirely wrong. Comparing any movie to a perfect standard is unfair, but again why are we here? We're not wasting our time on 4chan to justify our simple tastes, we're here (i hope) to learn something, to lose something by being shaped by opinions that are beyond our own. Arrival is a bad movie, you like it. I don't hate you for your wrong opinion, I hate the WRONG OPINION. It's cool.
>>
>>80618801
It wasn't deep though. My dick in your mum while you shitposted downstairs however..
>>
>>80621647
One thing you should learn that the post you cite as elitist is actually just copypasta.
>>
>>80621686
So is that why Speaks With Squids had to steal a phone to call the Chinese Tank Emperor and nag him about his dead wife in order to save the day?

Doesn't really do much to paint the CIA and soldiers of the world in a heroic light.
>>
>>80621839
Yo, I didn't see many movies last year and thought Arrival was perfectly fine. Not great but good. What are some recent films that YOU think I should check out, in comparison to which Arrival pales?
>>
>>80621545
>couldn't tell it was a random troll
>Starship Trooper paperback is a scifi certificate
>assumed either I or the other guy was being an 'authority'
You're projecting too much bro. That some Dunning-Kruger sign right there.
>>
>>80621829
So you admit you're some feebleminded pedo who's only here to troll eh?

I wanted to like this movie, but didn't, because it was poorly made. Sorry if the accurate terminology used in this thread triggers you.

Go back to watching Stranger Things and pretending you know what makes a quality sci-fi story.
>>
>>80621965
Your troll game is weak kid.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised you're dumb enough to defend a movie as shallow as Arrival though.
>>
>>80621839
Bro, you're right.

>>80621886
Just passing by from /fit/

>>80621910
My biggest beef from the film is that a single phone call from a random stranger lasting 1 minute at most can call off a military strike.
>>
>>80621951
Doctor Strange was a more convincing sci-fi story than Arrival, and it's straight up about magic.

Yes, that's how poor of a sci-fi story Arrival is.

Fuck, Doctor Strange even did the time paradox trope better.
>>
>>80621951
Bro, I've got to admit, you've put me in a real bind. It's actually hard to name something new, that's necessary, because whatever I say will be shot down. I can revert to a classic, or maybe an unknown cult film, or an edgy new flick. But I can't win that argument. I don't know what you like or what you need to see, to the same degree I don't know what the new best thing is. If I were to give you my honest opinion, it would just get mocked. Arrival is not an inept or incompetent movie, but there's a lot more out there that isn't so broken.
>>
>>80622042
Or that a military advanced enough to decrypt alien symbology in real-time with teams around the world, isn't advanced enough to jam a phone signal.
>>
>>80621604
The first vignette set in the present day explicitly lays out how government mandated secrecy and disinformation are directly responsible for the creation of a Artificial Intelligence with predatory instincts and a deep seeded malice towards human beings.

Arrival is about how joining the intergalactic botnet will salvage humanity by enthroning a global aristocracy of technocratic elitists.

Out of the two I only got the sense that somebody is trying to rustle my jimmies from watching Arrival.
>>
File: almostdone.jpg (179KB, 712x528px) Image search: [Google]
almostdone.jpg
179KB, 712x528px
>>80618801
>There are people who think this movie was deep
I knew you guys were bunch of faggots, but come the fuck on. There was nothing deep going on in this movie. It was just the same old "As many languages you know, as many times you are a human being". It was pretty well executed, except for the China general finale. The dialogue was shit. It didnt make sense for her to say "I dont know your number".
>>
>>80621910
Look at me.
Look at me.

Professor Mummy is the heroic intelligence operative now.

Don't forget that its only the CIA's desire to have her and Retner on site to be the (((SMEs))) for figuring out how to communicate and control their interactions with the aliums.
>>
>>80621995
I like how you're getting angry and making assumptions, I am actually just here to kill some time, not to convince anyone of anything. Only watched the movie once and it was alright. The cinematography wasn't anything special but served its purpose (as is to be expected when watching an Oscar-nominated Hollywood movie). The plot elements were predictable and cliché (as is to be expected when watching an Oscar-nominated Hollywood movie) but interestingly executed with the flashbacks being flashforwards. The concept itself was fresh and it's nice to see an American film at least hint at some interesting ideas. I don't really watch many American films but my brother said this one was worthwhile and it was for a Hollywood movie. Not great but a pleasant surprise. I didn't have any problems with the acting either, the CIA guy was just a pain in the arse.

>>80622097
Now that film really is boring and unwatchable.

>>80622116
I don't care if you get show down. If you give me some quality recs I will be thankful. Give me something edgy and underground if you want. Also, who cares about being shot down on an anonymous imageboard? We aren't even real people, we are just words on a screen to you, or at least we should be.
>>
>>80622281
So the CIA being incompetent at their own job and having to grab outside help to complete it, is evidence of the CIA being good at their jobs?

Wew lad.
>>
>>80620816
>using oversimplification to ridicule a plot
If thats the best you can do, you wont ever make it as a writer.

>>80622042
>My biggest beef from the film is that a single phone call from a random stranger lasting 1 minute at most can call off a military strike.
If some total stranger called me on my private phone number and repeated my dying wifes words to me alone word by word, I would probably listen to what she has to say afterwards.
>>
>>80622336
*shot down
>>
>>80622336
>Doctor Strange is more boring than Arrival

Your troll game is stunningly weak, kid.
>>
>Little child dying of cancer - check
>Relationship drama - check
>Shitty dialogue - check
>Poor acting - check
>Deus ex machina ending - check
What a God awful movie.
>>
>>80622336
Alright, my main view on things these days is that film is basically dead, and tv is the place to see stuff. The Expanse is a genuinely decent sci-fi show that is more "hard science" than Arrival or other stuff. I would also recommend Legion, as somebody who liked the comics and is also involved in the realm of mental health, it seems a pretty good portrayal of mental illness. It's hard to say "hey, your shit is shit, and now look at my pleb stuff, that I attach useless interest in for Freudian reasons" but there you go.
>>
As someone who was raised in mainstream scifi, and only now going back to the classics, this is the only one of the two movies I've seen that explores the science of communication (the first being Contact) so I thoroughly enjoyed having learned some concepts that I seldom see. I didn't see the twist coming, but I wished they could've expounded on the science (or lack thereof) of the cognitive process that makes it possible. And really, that phone call-party-Chinese ending could've gone better.

Looking forward to "Life" now. But reading most of the comments in this thread, it might receive the same treatment if it so much goes beyond being space horror.
>>
>>80622404
I forgot that there are people on this board who unironically enjoy formulaic crap like Marvel movies. I must admit I only watched the first 15 minutes before I turned it off so my judgment might have been premature.

>>80622485
Thank you, I'll consider The Expanse.
>>
>>80622538
>I'm le too smart for le hero movies meme
>thinks The Expanse is anything but the same old SyFy melodrama garbage

Yeah, you're a powerhouse of intellectualism alright.
>>
>>80622574
You missed the message bro, I just recommended it to him. You can hate on The Expanse...if you've seen it.
>>
>>80622574
I never said I'm too smart but okay, I'll give you a chance. Tell me some redeeming things about Doctor Strange and what differentiates it from shit like Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad and I might give it another try. Since this is the first time I heard of The Expanse I fail to see how this reflects on my taste.
>>
>>80618801
>there are people
I doubt it.
>>
File: whitepony.jpg (57KB, 717x398px) Image search: [Google]
whitepony.jpg
57KB, 717x398px
>>80621951
not that guy, but honestly there are only a handful of really good top-tier "mainstream" movies that have come out in the past ~20 years.

to name a few,
Mulholland Drive
In The Mood For Love
The Tree of Life
Synecdoche NY
There Will Be Blood

there are obviously more, but those are standouts. I do not think there was anything last year that was super memorable
>>
>>80622365
lol no. The movie sets up a moral narrative that an enlightened officer class which employs academic expertise to maintain the global order of peace between nation-states will be the saviors of mankind.
>>
File: inception.jpg (65KB, 270x405px) Image search: [Google]
inception.jpg
65KB, 270x405px
>>80618801

>>
>>80622784
Now that really is a shitty pseudo-intellectual Hollywood sci-fi movie. Complete and utter trash.
>>
MERF. DUN LET ME LEAVE MERF.
>>

>>
>>80622656
>Good things about Dr Strange:
Amazing visuals, easily the best of the year.
Supporting cast is actually fleshed out.
Story is easy to follow, but still introduces plenty of complex concepts.
The Cloak of Levitation.

>Bad things about Dr Strange:
Pacing is very inconsistent.
Origin story is extremely similar to Iron Man, but this is mostly a fault of the comic itself.
Sherlock phones in a fair amount of his scenes.
>>
>>80622779
Except for the fact that they completely fucking fail to control the situation when China decides to chimp out, and the world has to be saved by a woman directly refusing to cooperate with the military power structure.

The entire movie goes out of it's way to say that the military is bad at it's job. Right down to the one captain managing to go rogue because he was brainwashed by Alex Jones.
>>
File: 1488363556855.jpg (612KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
1488363556855.jpg
612KB, 1920x808px
I liked how now China is the country that declares war on aliens and the USA is the voice of reason.

very funny.
>>
>>80622992
What kind of complex concepts?
>>
GODDFUCKING DAMNIT!

If only knew what the last words of the wife were then this would've been a 9/10
>>
>>80623066
Bruh the movie is not complimentary to the regular old traditional military chain of command, but it does paint a very attractive picture of private citizens enlisted as operatives by american intelligence pursuing the 'real' interests of the US by going over the line and establishing pacts with foreign agents unilaterally.

That bitch giving the Chinese first preference in gradually disclosing the secrets of the alien encrypted language is the climactic moral victory of the movie.

"War is too important to be decided by the generals", except the movie thinks it should be the spooks rather than the politicians who get to decide it instead.
>>
>>80623209
It portrays temporal paradoxes in a much better way than anything in Arrival for one.

Others include your basic nature of reality stuff, spatial contortion, and the typical 'price of power' trope that's in every marvel flick. Yes, it doesn't get very deep into most of it, but it's there.

Now go on and tell me why all of that is dumb, wrong, and not 'kino' enough for your closeted pedophile ass.
>>
>>80623193
Hahah, so funny, yes

China best, America worst

good job shill
>>
>>80623361
Meh, I won't lie, I simply dislike Marvel movies for their lack of erotic portrayals of little girls so I guess I'll pass on this one.
>>
>>80623335
Now you're just trying too hard.

Literally everyone involved with the government fails to do their job (right down to disabling the phone she STEALS) and also goes out of their way to second guess the very scientists they depend on.

The movie quite explicitly goes out of it's way to say: "Men with their guns and tanks are ALWAYS wrong, and women with their words and fee fees are ALWAYS right."
>>
The dumbest fucking thing was the nations of the world coming together under the banner of the new language and living in harmony. The average human couldn't mentally cope with seeing their own future and death play out. Everything would collapse.
>>
>>80623404
Good thing they made Logan just for the likes of you.

Or are you one of those ultra pussified pedophiles that can't handle violence and gore?
>>
>>80623483
It's not like they watch a youtube video of their death and then continue on with their life.
They would experience the past, present and future at the same time, hence the non-linear. All the decisions are interconnected.
>>
>>80623526
I find blood and gore to highly erotic actually, especially if the goree is a little girl (or boy).
>>
Does /tv/ overanalyze this hard with Fantasy?
>>
>>80623644
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzsBbc8jLI
KINO
I
N
O
>>
I found the science stuff intriguing and later found out that Stephen Wolfram himself (and his son) worked on all the programming/mathematics in Arrival.

http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/

a good read
>>
>>80623670
Just wait until the new season of GoT starts.

You'll see shitposting that dwarfs this thread by thousands of orders of magnitude.
>>
>>80618801
the first 20min of the film was 10/10

then they started holding your hand and the plot became shit.
>>
>>80623778
Thank you. Thread completed.
>>
>>80623778
Who are "they"? Did they literally hold your hand? Did you get their phone number after or did you go to the movies together? If so, it's a good thing, it means (s)he likes you!
>>
>>80623778
The first contact scene was one of the best executed first contact scene in cinema history.

Shame the rest of the movie wasn't on par
>>
>>80622784
>>80622821
Oww the edge
>>
>>80624546
>he actually likes Inception
lol, I share a board with this filth
>>
>>80623447
lol yeah, except for when the men with guns and tanks are chinese right? You really can't tell me you think her Chink General seance partner was portrayed in an unflattering light.

You obviously think of how military failures are portrayed in terms of things which you would consider legitimate IRL military imperatives like OPSEC, but the filmmaker is not interested in that and probably doesn't even consider those things relevant to judging the military for accomplishing what its (((true))) goals as an institution ought to be.

The writer's idealized governmental order would be deprioritizing the objectives valued by conventionally minded rank-and-file soldiers which are stereotyped as xenophobic knuckledraggers, but that isn't intended to be a condemnation of the centralized military command structure being in control of situations which impact the national interest. The film is basically advocating that our nationalistic military institutions are antiquated and should be replaced by empowering the quasi-governmental network of intelligence operatives and professional experts from the private sector to carry out state affairs which were traditionally entrusted to the enlisted general staff of the army.

You are definitely right about the movie superficially promotes a message of feminine pacifism, but I took that as being the soft-sell package to advocate for transferring ultimate authority to dictate how executive power is wielded to the intelligence apparatus.
>>
>>80618801
>tips fedora
>>
>>80623740
Kek, this is amazing. I watched the movie and was surprised that they showed mathematica as a tool being used. Because that would totally be used in this context - a versatile tool that can deal with odd stuff in a flexible manner.
>>
>>80624742
>writing this much pointless shit for a pointless troll regarding a pointless movie

You're not very good at this, kid.
>>
>>80618999
>Name 5 recent scifi films with time travel.
Edge of Tomorrow
Interstellar
Project Almanac
Looper
Predestination
>>
>>80625108
>Edge of Tomorrow

Probably the best sci-fi movie of the 2010s, because it's based on good material, and doesn't pretend to be super smart, like the dishonest cinema that is Arrival and Interstellar.
>>
>>80624295
HAHA! upvote!
>>
>>80619019
The paradoxes of time travel make it stupid and unbelievable.
>>
>>80619211
If they already know the future, they can behave differently in the present to negate it. It's a dumb premise.
>>
File: jlaw face.jpg (211KB, 657x927px) Image search: [Google]
jlaw face.jpg
211KB, 657x927px
>>80618801
>there are edgy contrarian faggots that talk shit about relatively good movies for attention on an anonymous image board
>>
>>80618874
Can you blame them? Immortality is akin to godhood and people who want to be god don't want other people to be god.

All the worst people on the planet are going to get on it and never fuck off due to old age and nobody who isn't them will have mechanical bodies.

I'm all for cybernetic enhancement, but when age is the only thing stopping incredibly powerful and destructive people you're opening Pandoras box.
>>
Liking Arrival automatically cements you as a sub 115 IQ.
>>
>>80618940
I mean the movie was obviously trying to be deep and it failed.

So yeah it's a good criticism.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.