[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the biggest pleb filter? For me its >I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1489374570438.jpg (30KB, 438x382px) Image search: [Google]
1489374570438.jpg
30KB, 438x382px
what's the biggest pleb filter?

For me its
>I don't want to watch a foreign movie with subtitles, I don't want to read the entire time!
>>
>kubrick is my favorite director
>>
>People who say ''Film is supposed to be entertainment!''
>People who have 2001, Seven Samurai, Citizen Kane, other pleb shit on their top lists
>People who have seen 1 film made before the 50s and think they have taste
>People who like Wes Anderson and think they somehow have taste
>People with most movies on list made in last 20 years
>People who have no foreign language movies listed
>People who think korean cinema is good
>People who have movies from Nolan, Tarantino, Aronofsky, Kubrick, Refn, Snyder on their list
>People who have any comic book movie listed
>People who say comfy/based
>>
>Pulp Fiction is an old movie
>I don't like watching Black and White movies
>Lol, why do you care about who's the director?
>You didn't watch any of the oscar nominees? I thought you liked movies...
>>
>>80584520
>my favorite movie is "Fight Club"
>>
>I don't watch movies from before I was born

>>80584520
>>80584600
Those and the one I posted aren't pleb filters in the original definition, though. A "true" pleb filter is something like the car ride from Solaris.
>>
File: romanplebeian.jpg (92KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
romanplebeian.jpg
92KB, 638x479px
>>80584520
HOW TO SPOT A PLEB 101

>only able to discuss literal plot points and the logical order of the narrative of a film
>every film has a singular universal "deep meaning" which you have to "get" to understand it
>"The writing is the most important filmmaking element!"
>thinks that empty pretty pictures means "good cinematography"
>"I don't find this part of the narrative plausible or realistic, therefore the movie is SHIT!"
>treating a film like a puzzle which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to get it
>a film is either utter dogshit or a masterpiece, there is no inbetween
>"Who cares about editing, framing and composition sound and whatnot if the story isn't great."
>considers heavy use of symbolism as a positive factor
>using "boring" and "nothing happens" as arguments ever
>>
>People who watch movies for the plot
>People who don't like a movie because they can't relate to the characters
>People who think anything with a non-traditional narrative is pretentious
>>
>>80584614
>>People who have 2001, Seven Samurai, Citizen Kane, other pleb shit on their top lists
Despite it's true a lot of plebs celebrate those films to compensate for their lack of taste, they're still superb.
Tarkovski had Seven Samurai in his top list and he wasn't precisely a pleb.

>>People with most movies on list made in last 20 years
People who avoid old movies are plebs, but you're also a pleb if you don't appreciate good modern films; it seems you're waiting for academic consensus on movies to have your own opinion about them.
However the most comprehensible choice is to have more old movies among your favourites since, well, there are more old movies than recent ones.
I'd say the landmark for plebs are 70s movies and New Hollywood in particular since it's when most of the top imdb-tier "oldies" were made. Plebs don't watch films made before the 70s.
>>
>>80584520
Jokes on you. I watch all my movie with closed captioning because my hearing is shit. I'd rather not watch some foreign shit movie though. They're usually boring, dumb, and shit.
>>
>>80584520
tfw these people are so dumb reading while watching the film is a concentrated effort and hurts their brains
>>
>>80584520
>YOUVE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS?
>>
>>80584681
>every film has a singular universal "deep meaning" which you have to "get" to understand it
If a film isn't centered around one or two main ideas/themes, then chances are it's either diluting its message by spending too much time with too many different things, or it just has no greater meaning/purpose to begin with. It's not like this is a universal truth, but really, three hours (maximum) isn't enough time to go into depth about a dozen different things. I think most great films realize this.

>treating a film like a puzzle which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to get it
This is also sort of reductive. It sort of implies that there's something wrong or pleb about intellectualizing/rationalizing a film. Sure, this isn't the only way to experience film, but it's just as valid as any other way of appreciating the artform.
>>
>foreign movie barely has dialogue
>>
>>80584600
>>80584614
contarianism =/= taste
>>
>>80584614
>muh lists
>>
>>80584520
>I love Shameless!
>>
File: 1461099559862.png (9KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1461099559862.png
9KB, 420x420px
>hans zimmer
>ennio morricone
>>
>>80584614
you're a pretentious idiot
>>
File: Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg (124KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg
124KB, 257x380px
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.