[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Terrence Malick's 'Song to Song' panned a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: C6zGYL3VAAEhwGo.jpg (120KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
C6zGYL3VAAEhwGo.jpg
120KB, 1200x676px
>Terrence Malick's 'Song to Song' panned as "humiliating wreck of a movie" in early reviews

- boring plot, not much dialogue with lots of voiceover making cheesy observations about life
- overly long and complicated for the sake of being complicated
- visually stunning mess with lots of weird camera angles like extremely wide shots of awkward sex scenes
- same old same old modern Malick
- it has a 40% on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terrence-malicks-song-song-panned-as-humiliating-wreck-a-movie-early-reviews-985468

i-is terry f-finished?
>>
>panned by reviewers... reviewers...
>>
He should have called it a day after Badlands.
>>
I dunno. It looks way more focused to me, narrative and setting wise.

It's gotten some near perfect reviews as well. But of course mainstream Hollywood is going to push back on what Malick has been doing with these more recent films (particularly the trilogy of TTW, KOC and now this which he shot in the same period). It's pleb detection in its purest form
>>
That review describes all Malick movies. It only seems good when you have those same cliches applied to movies about god or nature.
>>
>>80396337

Sounds like absolute pleb filter.
>>
File: 1486353679775.jpg (8KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1486353679775.jpg
8KB, 261x195px
>>80396337
>you wont ever get paid money, lots of money, to kiss and nibble roons stocking feet to make her giggle
>>
>tfw /mu/tant and loved Knight of Cups

Sounds excellent. Gib the movie already.
>>
Why do critics hate Malick?

I don't know how they still don't understand what he's doing. Remember how Tree Of Life received very mixed reviews when it was first shown, and then a few years later it was rated the 7th best american movie of the 2000s and the 79s best american film ever made by BBC or something
>>
>>80396337
Do Malicks films since Tree Of Life ever break even? Where does he get the money to keep shooting these?
>>
>>80396337
sounds like every single other movie he ever made desu
>>
>>80396337
Malick movies are all masturbatory aids for middle-class whites. It's about time people noticed.
>>
>>80396654
i did not care for KoC at all. it just didn't have the same magic as his other films. i'm scared for this next one.
>>
>>80396677

Because exactly 60% of critics are hacks.

It was better back then, but the internet age makes everything worse.
>>
>>80396809
Yeah KoC was pretty weak
>>
>>80396727
seriously. money laundering?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (74KB, 640x480px)
shrug.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>80396337
>visually stunning

All I needed to hear.
>>
Malick forgets that film is a narrative medium.
>>
>>80396958

No it isn't.
>>
>>80396337
>voiceover

hahhahhahahaha what a dumbass
>>
File: 1461275076182.jpg (86KB, 500x500px)
1461275076182.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
>Without sacrificing any of the breathless ecstasy of his urgent, fluid, seemingly borderless images (shot by Emmanuel Lubezki), Malick girds them with a framework of bruising entanglements and bitter realizations, family history and stifled dreams. His sense of wonder at the joy of music and the power of love is also a mournful vision of paradise lost.
>>
WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD, FAGGOTS
>>80386365
>>
>>80396958
It never was, it isn't, and it never will be.
If you want narrative, read a book like a nerd.
Fuck off, plen
>>
>>80396958
Pleb
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.