[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Roman kino about a general who became a gladiator >has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

>Roman kino about a general who became a gladiator
>has Russell Crowe
>has Joaquin Phoenix
>best character is oldman Marcus Aurelius

What did Ridley Scott mean by this?
>>
File: commodus.png (307KB, 487x726px)
commodus.png
307KB, 487x726px
>>80176363
Marcus Aurelius was god tier historically, so why would it be any different in film?
>>
>>80176363
but the best character is Commodus.
>>
>>80176500
Nah, Proximo is the GOAT
>>
>>80176363
Shitty acted imo
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (33KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
33KB, 1280x720px
My name is Glenn Diator
>>
File: gladiator.jpg (26KB, 616x361px)
gladiator.jpg
26KB, 616x361px
>>80176363
>My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

so fucking hype whenever i hear this line

still one of my favourite manly man movies along with Braveheart and the 13th warrior which i watch every yera
>>
>>80176640
Have I not just enthralled you!? HAVE I NOT ENTHRALLED!?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n9elibZ3bh1rufn0n.gif (1004KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n9elibZ3bh1rufn0n.gif
1004KB, 500x600px
>>80176726
Keep it in church
>>
>On this day, we reach back to hallowed antiquity, to bring you a recreation of the second fall of the mighty Carthage!... On the barren plain of Zama, there stood the invincible armies of the barbarian Hannibal. Ferocious mercenaires and warriors from all brute nations, bent on merciless destruction, conquest. Your emperor is pleased to give you the barbarian horde!

/ourguy/?
>>
File: 1412866067349.jpg (24KB, 241x231px)
1412866067349.jpg
24KB, 241x231px
He came across pretty dumb in the film

>I conquered Europe by myself lel
>I hope my son won't be mad at me for ignoring him my whole life and passing up his inheritance
>>
>>80177035
>not putting emphasis on "THE BARBARIAN HORDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

you fucking ruined it
>>
>>80177687
I never understood how black charioteers were supposed to represent the roman army
>>
>>80177843
Affirmatus Actionus
>>
>>80177843
Why was there a woman in the pit anyway? Did historical Rome actually use female gladiators?
>>
>>80179368
yeah, I think they were segregated though and probably not to the death
>>
>>80177035
I still get chills every time the chariots burst out of the gates and the Zimmer score ramps up
>>
Ridley Scott is a Stoic confirmed.
>>
>>80179368
it was a stylistic choice. I didn't mind it. The soldiers uniforms were also over the top ornate. the movie wasn't trying to be historical it was trying to be epic and artistic both of which I think it achieved
>>
Anyone here actually read Meditations? Does it still hold up? I'm thinking about picking it up.
>>
>>80179576
My friend got it for me for Christmas 3 years ago but I've never read it even though I intend to.
>>
>>80177035
>/ourguy/?
he was a fucking queer like you anon
>>
>>80177843

Roman Legionaries were conscripted from every one of their provinces. The Romans didn't give a shit about race or religion, all they wanted was your money and your men.

Google Septimius Severus. Turns out they wuz emperors as well.
>>
Inb4 WHEAT
>>
>>80179576
its kind of like 'art of war' in that it concisely frames some very complex ideas but those ideas have since become common place and youll probably be familiar with most of them ... amazing it was written so long ago, very psychologically astute
>>
>>80179576
I read some, I prefer Epictetus though, Meditations is too much about Marcus Aurelius' great childhood, being mentored and having every need taken care of and still being like 'I don't wear expensive clothes so I'm basically a monk" when some people have to choose between buying clothes and buying food. Maybe you're so relaxed because you never have to worry about things like food, house upkeep or maintaining employment, and have been groomed since childhood to succeed.

Aurelius and to a lesser extent Seneca are like Jews telling you you don't need money to be happy while they funnel money into offshore accounts to pay for their second yacht with the evaded income tax.

Epictetus OTOH was a slave with a gimped leg so his advice is real. He's also more direct and doesn't talk about himself.
>>
>>80177843
The Romans couldn't into cavalry so they hired it out
>>
>>80179967
Discourses and the Handbook were GOAT.
>>
>>80179658
Severus wasn't black though, he was from modern day Libya. If anything he would have been closer to Berber.
>>80179857
>>80179967
Thanks, I'll look into Epictetus.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.