[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Dad tells me he wants to watch (one of his favorite movies)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: SevenSamurai.jpg (25KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
SevenSamurai.jpg
25KB, 450x338px
>Dad tells me he wants to watch (one of his favorite movies) Seven Samurai with me.
>Figure it's time to stop being a pleb and start being a bit cultural.
>Try to keep my opinion as honest as possible and not just like it because "it's a classic".
>Expect a decent albeit dated flick.
>It's still totally kino.

Of all the older movies I've watched, this one absolutely holds up the best. Even though I can partially appreciate the filmmaking, I like how it's enjoyable on a very basic and simple level.
>>
I hope your father dies.
>>
>>80172466
You're in luck, eventually he will.
>>
>>80172413
Yojimbo is like that as well. Hate weebs and anime, but Kurosawa makes some enjoyable pictures
>>
>>80172513
>Yojimbo is like that as well. Hate weebs and anime, but Kurosawa makes some enjoyable pictures
As somebody who've watched a fair share of anime it's pretty funny how regularly they take from kikuchiyo.
>>
>>80172466
>look mom, I'm being edgey on the 4chans now. Wait till reddit sees this!
>>
>>80172738
stop projecting faggot
>>
>>80172413
Watching the 400 Blows gave me the same feeling. It feels like a movie made a few years ago set in the 50s, not a movie from 1959
>>
File: 1488464351749.jpg (5KB, 183x220px) Image search: [Google]
1488464351749.jpg
5KB, 183x220px
>>80172466
We all die in the long run
>>
>>80172765
Why are you pretending to be me?
>>
>>80172797
>Watching the 400 Blows gave me the same feeling. It feels like a movie made a few years ago set in the 50s, not a movie from 1959

I know right? It's a weird fucking feeling, obviously you can tell that a movie is old, but through the way it's structured just makes it feel oddly new.
>>
>>80172413
It's overlong
>>
>>80172413

One of the worst "classics" that there is. It is the worst Kurosawa movie I've seen. Plebs like you love it because it's basically an action movie for plebs.

>>80172908
>>80172797

You guys sound embarrassing.
>>
>plebby's first classic movie

Good for you, OP, cinema is a great art to get into.
>>
>>80172966
>You guys sound embarrassing.
Well we can't all be perfect, at least we can rejoice in the fact that we simply sound embarrassing, unlike you who's just straight up embarrassing.
>>
>>80173088
>plebby's first classic movie

Don't act condescending, it's the mark of the wannabe film connoisseur.

A true appreciator of the arts understands the beauty of the easily accessible.
>>
>>80172966
Seven Samurai is objectively Kurosawa's best film.

>not even the best Kurosawa I have seen
Care to explain?

>Plebs like you love it because it's basically an action movie for plebs.
Yes. Plebs like watching a 3 hour and a half action movie with a singular action scene at the end, because they are plebs. Kurosawa certainly doesn't have more generic action flicks like Throne of Blood or Kagemusha. Seven Samurai is a movie for plebs because (You) said so.

>"classics"
Are you trying to imply it's not a classic?
>>
but really, is there any kurosawa film that isnt a 'classic'?

my personal fav is Ran, though
>>
>>80172413
I watched it for the first time last year and had the exact same reaction. I expected it to be some dated pretentious artsy film that isn't meant to be entertaining, but it actually was very entertaining and just overall well crafted and shot. Since then I've watched a dozen of Kurosawas films and I love them to bits.

Also Toshiro Mifune is my favorite actor of all time.
>>
>>80174378
I don't know about classics, but I hated Ikiru. It was the most boring pointless movie I've watched in recent memory. I get what the film was going for, starting to enjoy life as you're dying, but man that main character had zero charisma even after that fact.
>>
>>80173537
>Trying to actually challenge pretentious and contrarian twats.

Almost never works.
>>
Dreams is underrated man, watch that shit baked it;ll change your life
>>
>>80173537
If you really think seven samurai is his best then it's the only one you've watched you fucking pleb
>>
>>80175528
I don't think it's his best, his best for me is either Rhapsody in August, Red Beard or I Live in Fear. I said OBJECTIVELY the best, which it is, it's the film which all directors, critics, pretty much anyone who actually knows what they are talking about agrees is his masterpiece, Seven Samurai or Ran.

Hell, I am replying to someone who said Seven Samurai is the worst Kurosawa he has seen, whose response to me is it's the only Kurosawa I have seen.

Dersu Uzala is EASILY the worst Kurosawa, if there is 'bad' Kurosawa.
>>
File: Screenshot_hg1.png (900KB, 765x784px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_hg1.png
900KB, 765x784px
>>80172513
>Hate weebs and anime
Damn, didn't know everything from Japan was anime, thanks for enlightening me, anon.
>>
>>80176758
Didn't you know?
>>
The fact that I only checked the time 3 hours into the movie was pretty surprising. Some 2 hour movies can feel like they're taking forever, whereas Samurai blows through 2 hours making it feel like its 1
>>
>>80176995
>The fact that I only checked the time 3 hours into the movie was pretty surprising. Some 2 hour movies can feel like they're taking forever, whereas Samurai blows through 2 hours making it feel like its 1
Agreed, despite it's length, the movie has a surprisingly rapid pace; I never felt bored.
>>
>>80172413
Yeah dude it's just a really great action movie. It's not arthouse.
>>
File: mifune.png (69KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
mifune.png
69KB, 500x213px
Whats some of your opinions on Sanjuro? I found the plot confusing with all the names and titles thrown around, but the cinematography and the acting make it enjoyable. But I can't seem to find a thematic through-line though like there was in Yojimbo. What am I missing guys?
>>
File: 3282.jpg (4KB, 126x112px) Image search: [Google]
3282.jpg
4KB, 126x112px
>>80172466
First post best post.

On a more-related-to-the-thread note, Seven Samurai is indeed one of those old black and white "classics" you hear a lot about and expect it to be boring, dated shit that you'll have to struggle through but you're pleasantly surprised when it's actually highly engaging and funny as fuck.
>>
>>80177102
bump
>>
>>80172765
Stop using words you don't understand faggot
>>
>>80177337
how does no one have strong opinions on Sanjuro
>>
>>80177102

Sanjuro is better than Yojimbo
>>
>>80177767
why
>>
File: Boggy Creek.jpg (34KB, 352x500px) Image search: [Google]
Boggy Creek.jpg
34KB, 352x500px
>"Anon I want to watch my favorite movie with you"
>"Ok Dad what we watching?"
>Legend of Boggy Creek
>At the end of the movie he turns to me
>"I banged your mom to this movie once"
>>
>>80177397
>h-he uses bad words he's from the r-reddit!!
>>
>>80177623
>how does no one have strong opinions on Sanjuro

Because you're on /tv/.
>>
>>80178505
Sounds like your dad was making a move.
>>
>>80173537
>Kagemusha
>generic action flick
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.