[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think nodding and winking at a camera good film-making?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: Cabin2.jpg (123KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Cabin2.jpg
123KB, 1366x768px
Do you think nodding and winking at a camera good film-making?

It just seems like a lazy cop-out, and I can tell this movie was made by people who have no love for the horror genre at whole, and will never take it seriously. The kind of cynicism where everything has to be codified, edified and identified, so it can be mocked that much more easily.
>>
This movie was made by people who love horror, for people who love horror.

Just because you like something, that doesn't mean you can't mock it.
>>
>>80166331

Not much of a horror buff, when the only horror movie he had ever made before that point was Alien Resurrection.
>>
>>80166411
Since when was being a director a requirement for being a buff of any genre?

It certainly helps, but it's not mandatory.
>>
>>80166512

It makes the final product seem insincere. How can a movie be about a genre that you love, when the bulk of your own creative works have been spent elsewhere? It'd be the same if he made it about Romantic Comedies.
>>
>>80166263
DUDE LETS MAKE A MOVIE THAT MAKES FUN OF HORROR MOVIES BUT IS A SHITTY HORROR MOVIE ITSELF AND LETS NOT MAKE IT SCARY OR FUNNY LMAO!!!!
>>
>>80166625

FEMINISM! REDNECKS! CTHULHU! HAHA
>>
>>80166331
But, I love Horror and didn't like it.
>>
>>80166622
>when the bulk of your own creative works have been spent elsewhere?
But it really wasn't spent elsewhere.
Both the director and producer spent the majority of their work in both action, suspense, and horror.
>>
What did they mean by the ending? That the genre isn't worth saving?
>>
>>80166735

The movie is over, so their world had to end.
>>
>>80166735
Why didn't they just kill themselves like they were supposed to? They died anyway. Instead they chose to tang us all for their shitty ideals.
>>
>>80166735

It's a classic Whedon tweest that devalues the story and puts the onus on the audience.
>>
>>80166735
I'm pretty sure they didn't mean much beyond
>DUDE ELDRITCH GODS LMAO
>>
>>80166871

>puts the onus on the audience.

Uh, what?
>>
>>80166894
I'm pretty sure that you're a moron that didn't realize that those gods were an allegory for the audience of the horror genre.

Also;
>Eldritch
Stop using words you don't understand.

There is nothing eldritch about them.
>>
>>80166957
So those massive slumbering evil gods have nothing sinister or strange about them?
Gotcha.
>>
Why were the horror monsters unable to kill a few japanese schoolgirls and Norwegians
>>
>>80166920

See: >>80166957

The Director = Directors
The lab coats = Writers
The Gods = Audience

The writers don't really want to use all these tropes, but if they don't, the Gods will destroy everything! It's not really our fault!
>>
>>80167014
They are at most sinister, there's very little that's strange about them.

They very clearly have human forms and are invested in human endeavors. They are, under all senses, depictions of classical gods. Hardly anything about them can be considered unearthly.
>>
>>80167036

But you can also take it that film-going audiences will feel alienated by horror movies that don't cater to them, and aren't filled with tropes. Movies like the thing are box-office flops, while movies like Jason 4/whatever make their budget back 20 times over.
>>
>>80166263
this movie wasn't something to be taken seriously. still a great movie. will always love the way the blonde pops up on the balls of her feet and rotates he hips and butt with her little dance thing.
but this is like a a modern old school movie. and is apart of joss whedons seriesverse.

buffy, angel, dollhouse, cabin in the woods, firefly.

one long story
>>
>>80167085

That's what I said. The Thing bombed upon release but is a cult classic. For every hit movie that uses those tropes, there are 10 that fail. Make a good flick and the audience will find it eventually.

Cabin should have ended ambiguously.
>>
>>80167189

>one long story

Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>80167346
castrate, boil my nuts and eat them eggs. river is the last slayer
>>
>>80166263
Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>80167469

I'm not the Joss Whedon fan.
>>
>>80166735
>That the genre isn't worth saving?
That the prototypical structure of the genre (roles of characters, motifs) can be ignored
>>
>>80167320
>Make a good flick and the audience will find it eventually.

A decade later when your career is in shambles because you made an expensive flop?
>>
I'm constantly shocked by how many people like this movie
>>
>>80167529
>>80167189
>>80166871
Joss whedon only co-wrote this movie and it was out of his hands for like 4 years or something. It's not a surprise it's better by a wide margin than anything else he's been attached to.
>>
>>80167538

It says the exact opposite.
>>
>>80167617

Yeah, that John Carpenter's career really went to shit.
>>
>>80167649

He co-wrote it, produced it and directed some scenes.
>>
>>80166411

what about the 7 season supernatural horror-based tv series and subsequent spin off he created, produced and wrote
>>
>>80168038
you can tell he came from tv. Whedon's approach to film is rather cynical, it comes off like the attitude of a woman who's got a feminine sting.
>>
>>80169132

How so?
>>
>>80169132

You try to sound like you're witty but just end up sounding retarded.
>>
>>80169610
this entire film is essentially a beta male fantasy, not only does Chad die in a horrific, unexpected and really degrading manner, but the crux of the story is a stoned loser who possess the deux ex Marijuachina, who then instead of sacrificing himself decides it's better to bring about the euphoric end of the shitty accident known as humanity.

>>80169666
See this guy as well, unable to formulate any coherent argument he tries some petty name calling. I wasn't trying to be witty, that's wholly Whedon's territory, and I'll leave it to him.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.