[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /tv/ redpill me on John Carpenter? Is he the true horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Can /tv/ redpill me on John Carpenter? Is he the true horror master or a hack like some critics say?

Also what's your guys standing on his famous Apocalypse Trilogy? I rank em 3>1>2
>>
>>80072465
Carpenter is a great filmmaker who let his confidence get so beaten down after the poor reception of The Thing, never mustering up to make a film of such caliber ever again.
>>
The Thing is full of shitty jumpscares with no real payoff
>>
Prince of Darkness is some good shit man. It gives you this uneasy feeling from the start and just goes bananas. Never got why Bryan had the stache
>>
>>80072701
reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>80072701
Dude those 3 movie mentioned barely have any jump scares, and def out of the 3 the 3rd one has the most.

You probably watched Aline and confused it with this kino.
>>
>>80072465
A true auteur. Writer, director, composer and total bro if you ever listen to his commentaries(The Thing him and Kurt Russel are BFFs).
But he makes some dumb moves in picking scripts ending up with some real clunkers.
>>
Prince of Darkness really fucked me up.

He also made some great non-horror movies.
>>
>yfw everyone was a thing at the end of the thing
>>
>>80072614
This is pretty much it, all that work put into the effects for The Thing and everyone snubbed it. They Live was essentially his fuck-you to the film industry since it's about the Jews and was very tongue-in-cheek about its cheesiness, and then that got pulled from theaters only 2 weeks into its release because of said Jews. After that everything he did sucked balled, although The Ward has some genuinely horrific scenes in it.
>>
>The Thing
>Prince of Darkness
>In the Mouth of Madness
>Vampires
>Halloween
>Cigarette Burn

All great movies

>>80074093
How could Kurt be a thing?
>>
>>80072465
He's a great filmmaker and the only one to date to pull off a good Lovercraftian film.

I don't get it why he retired so early, when there are directors way older them him cranking movies out every couple of years.
>>
>>80072465
Never saw Prince of Darkness. Is it any good?

>>80074093
Childs was a thing, McReady was not. One interesting theory I've seen floated around here is that the bottle of liquor he gives Childs is actually gasoline. A thing wouldn't know the difference, so if they drink it no problem, then that gives him away.
>>
>>80072465
I think he is the horror director for intellectuals. I think his films suffered from poor budget issues or production concepts before their time. The Thing is truly a masterpiece due to storytelling, pacing and practical effects.

If you truly love horror or cinema then he is your director.
>>
>>80074093
If they were both things at the end the film wouldn't need to end that way. We don't know who the thing was at the end. Maybe they killed the thing and both men freeze to death in paranoia.
>>
File: 1488527793365.jpg (36KB, 468x369px) Image search: [Google]
1488527793365.jpg
36KB, 468x369px
>>80076101
>he is the horror director for intellectuals.
>>
>>80076225
Why is Chef Ramsay so perfect?
>>
File: big-trouble-in-little-china.jpg (255KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
big-trouble-in-little-china.jpg
255KB, 1500x1000px
>Nobody's posted his best film yet
Also I watched In the Mouth of Madness recently and it's an amazingly effective horror film, it should be much more known than it is.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.