[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone clarify some things? 1. what were the themes and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: arrival.jpg (75KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
arrival.jpg
75KB, 960x540px
can someone clarify some things?

1. what were the themes and subtext
2. why again did the aliens give humans their language?
>>
>>80012152
>1. what were the themes and subtext

xenophobia is bad, communication is key is the main theme of the movie, you could argue that learning to accept the good with the bad and learning to live is another.

>2. why again did the aliens give humans their language?

basically the aliens are not like us, Time is not linear for them, they experience every moment in their lives at once, they gave humanity their language (and also physics equations and stuff) in order to uplift our civilisation because we helped them 3,000 years in our future.

/tv/ autists seem to have a problem with this bit of the plot for some reason.
>>
>>80012401

ah yes I forgot about the 3000 year bit.

that clears up everything, cheers matey
>>
File: 1488363556855.jpg (612KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
1488363556855.jpg
612KB, 1920x808px
Their language was the key to realising how they perceive time. Teaching it to us was the only way to achieve that.
>>
>>80012473

so humans are now able to time travel with the alien language? or did the movie not indicate that
>>
File: lone_star.jpg (232KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
lone_star.jpg
232KB, 940x940px
>>80012152
>>80012401
i don't disagree with most of that but i thought it was implied or stated that a disease was going to wipe out humanity so they tried to give humanity technology in the form of language
the movie pop sciences the fuck out of Sapir-Whorf hypothesis to give the learners of their language the ability to perceive time differently and thus save ourselves by seeing that the cure was either in her daughter's genetics or maybe that she would be one of the earliest victims, i wasn't completely clear on that

also jeremy renner's character is an asshole for refusing to accept the fact that there is no such thing as free will, no one had any choice in the outcome but then i guess neither did he have the choice to not be an asshole about it

time is a flat circle after all.
>>
>>80012533
Idk if time travel is the right word but it allows humans to perceive time nonlinearly like the do.
>>
>>80012578

fuck I forgot about the daughter's illness. I think it was unrelated to humanity's doom, however.
>>
>>80012401

language (symbols used) shapes perception through operations on those symbols used

>>80012580

the movie fucked itself by employing a time travel plot device (general's response); the director painted himself into a corner
>>
>>80012578
The illness of the daughter is unrelated to the main thrust of the plot, it's just a detail of Amy Adams' character's personal tragedy in learning the language.
>>
>>80012820
it was about love which transcends time
>>
>>80012820
just here to say that you are completely wrong and that the mother-daughter relationship is the main plot which propells the narrative forward
>>
>>80013859

the main plot is the aliens and the contact with their language, the mother-daughter relationship is a subplot that provides depth to the character and emotionally engages the audience. Obviously both plots are entwined because it's really a movie about one single character so they're better understood as one plot with multiple facets, as I described.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.