[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally saw it. Managed to avoid spoilers somehow. Loves it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: festival-poster.jpg (57KB, 800x1185px) Image search: [Google]
festival-poster.jpg
57KB, 800x1185px
Finally saw it. Managed to avoid spoilers somehow. Loves it. Cried like a bitch. What did /tv/ think?
>>
it was shit
>>
MOTY loved the last scene when she walks into his club and he plays THAT song ;____;
>>
>>79934427
It was really really good, i think if Chazelle manages to make his next movie which is unrelated to music as good as both Whiplash and La La Land he will be imo the best "new" director.
>>
The one criticism I do have is the 5 year time skip. I'm fine with them not ending up together, but it seemed too short time skip for all that happened to Mia and basically forgetting Sebastian. Should have been something like 10 years.
>>
>>79934427
i wanted to enjoy it, based on all the spamming but i was really disappointed.
usually with a musical, the songs stay with me but not with lalaland.
the actors (who i really like) seemed out of their depth here (or not capable of adapting to the musical genre).
the directing was lack-lustre and the sfx were pretty bad although the cinematography was good.

5/10
>>
I'm sort of torn on it. The high parts are wonderful but the script has a lot of big flaws in it that I have a difficult time reconciling the longer I'm away from the immediate effect of the film

And the music isn't very good. Surprisingly that's not a film killer like it sounds but other than City of Stars I don't think any of the music was particularly memorable
>>
>>79934509
I wonder if he can make a movie without heavy jazz influence either.

>>79934590
>>79934630
I think Chazzelle worked around their lack of vocal range and kept the tubes simple and it worked beautifully. Surprised you guys didn't like the music. I thought it was fantastic Another Day of Sun, Someone The Crowd being the obvious standouts and Audition is incredibly emotional.
>>
>>79934871
>Another Day of Sun
I think I'm in the minority here but I HATED that whole bit. I immediately felt a bit of hesitation about the entire musical concept when it started. Bad song, bad flashmob choreography forced around the unnecessary long shot, it all looks awkward in the too strong natural sunlight.

Second song was better but I still have a hate thing for long takes so I was on the fence again for that.

His next one is a Neil Armstrong biopic starring Gosling. Though I kind of hope it's a Louis Armstrong one instead with the same cast to keep the theme going
>>
>>79934871
Same. Entered humming City of Stars and left with Another day of sun
>>
>>79935015
I hated that opening also, didn't fit in with the rest of the movie at all. I really liked the rest of it though.
>>
>>79935069
I really liked the opening scene and as the movie progressed it's purpose became clearer and clearer, it has an ironic nature. My only problem was that while i loved both the opening scene and the "Someone The Crowd" scene, they were both very close to each other and the pacing felt a little weird, literally my only complaint of the movie
>>
>>79935015
I actually agree with you in that. I thought the opening shot was a mess and I don't get the praise. Only stand out part was the opening of the truck with the musicians inside then it's ruined by the dance circle with more band dancing. I only ever saw the image where the dancers were in the middle of their jump and was expecting something special but was ultimately let down. That said, it doesn't take away from what a fantastic and joyous song Another Day in the Sun is.
>>
Ending fucked me up for a solid week.
>>
>>79935015
Opening shot was more akin to modern/digital musical phenomena like a flash mob whereas the rest of the movie was shot like a stage production.

It was completely out of place.
>>
>>79935693
Exactly. Stylistically it's very jarring, even as an opening scene.

Though on a certain level I do like that the first "hollywood musical" musical in decades has that awareness of new media even if the rest of it is largely nostalgia driven
>>
>>79934427
It is shit
>>
>>79935693
I thought it kind of worked as a modern greek chorus, disconnected from the style of the rest of the film because it's disconnected from the rest of the story, instead setting up LA and the ideas the movie explores.
>>
its a fucking awful movie and if this made you emotional then you clearly dont get out much
>>
>>79936874
That's not really the role of a chorus. A chorus is very much tied to the plot of a story, although usually does not interfere.
I actually agree that it's a neat way to introduce the setting of Hollywood, where everyone is "stuck in traffic" on their way to stardom. I just dislike the way it was shot.
>>
I'm so glad it didn't win. Honestly the producers deserved to hand the awards to Moonlight because this movie was actually bad. Like I didn't think the academy or critics could rally so hard around a movie that is just so horribly shallow. Nothing about this movie is rewarding. At best, it's cheap entertainment. The singing is bad, the songs are not interesting musically or thematically, the actors are uncharismatic, the story is full of cliches, and the (dishonest) message of the movie is sung directly into the camera at the end. Fuck this movie
>>
>>79935118
a musical shouldn't be ironic
>>
La La Land is showy, but not much more. It has a pretty simple premise that's inflated to high heaven by its technical elements, but the problem is that the technical elements don't tell a story of their own. The color coordination is such that your eye can't help but be drawn to the screen, but the longer I looked, the more I realized what a spectacle it is. (A technicolor pool party that starts with "Take on Me"? No.)

I wouldn't have minded the excessive visuals so much if the movie bore any resemblance to reality. Really, a barista can afford her own car and an apartment that looks like it must rent for $20,000 a month? And instead of

I did like "Audition" and how the cinematography drew attention to Stone in that number, who I liked more than I thought I would. The choreography was pretty remedial, and Chazelle works around it so the audience wouldn't notice as such: making them dance in between traffic where there isn't much space to move. Then make them dance in the stars in the observatory, and use the "space" to allow them to dance freely. Gosling's posture is rigid and Stone doesn't have much core strength, and I'm guessing they weren't asked to train much as dancers. On something like Broadway, the dancers are more enclosed and you would notice them more than the art direction, but here, it's the background that's the main attraction, as if LA exists just so Stone and Gosling can dance to it.

4/10
>>
>>79934509
His next movie is about the Space Race and a semi-bio of Lance Armstrong, so we'll see how he can work without music.

Although it's title is First Man, so it's not going to win any Oscars
>>
>>79934427
5/10 it was ok
>>
>>79937214
Why not?
>>
>>79934509
Whiplash had one saving factor, JK Simmons. La La Land had Linus Sandgren, and Justin Hurwitz's music. If you actually take the writing and direction by itself you'd see what a terribly mediocre hack Chazelle is. He is a talentless hack that rides on the coattails of talented people. If he wasn't Jewish he'd be nobody.
>>
>>79937543
>If he wasn't Jewish he'd be nobody.

I hate to break it you /pol/, but he isn't Jewish.
>>
>>79937543
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunUvYIJtHM
Pretty incredible how much an actor like JK Simmons can elevate a mediocre script.
>>
File: les mis.jpg (54KB, 1024x713px) Image search: [Google]
les mis.jpg
54KB, 1024x713px
>musical with pre-recorded audio

Never again. Les Mis made that obsolete years ago and anything else is just shit now. I'd rather have watched La La Land as a play.
>>
>>79934427
Goose and Stone chemistry really helped sell the just average singing. Also, Gosling has very little range, really thought that Emma Stone basically carried the movie. The audition scenes were the highlights of the film.

>that epilogue at the end
hit me pretty hard man
>>
>>79938317
Laughing My Butt Off.
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>79934427
The general consensus is that La La Land is a film that should not have even been nominated as Best Picture. It's a mediocre and forgettable film that features mediocre singing and dancing by its two leading stars. Were it not for all the hype no one would really care this much about it, except maybe for a few normie hipsters, and it certainly won't stand the test of time; no one will remember this in 5-10 years.
>>
>>79934427
Would have been better with leads that could sing and dance, but it's still great. Story and characters are wonderfully presented, allowing viewer interpretation of morality of events. Music is terrific. Ending is perfect.
>>
>>79937214

Wicked shits on your shit post.
>>
>>79934574
>I've never been in a relationship

I met the love of my life when I was 22. I never saw her again after I was 24. I moved on in a year. I think about her every day, but your mind just kind of puts it in the past. You don't forget people, but living in the present is hard not to do.
>>
>>79938988
Haha
>>
It will go down as one of the best movies release in the last 100-200 years. Meanwhile, nobody will give a shit about some movie about gay niggas
>>
>>79934574
>but it seemed too short time skip for all that happened to Mia and basically forgetting Sebastian

Hardly.
>She gets cast in a artsy film, spends six months in Paris
>Upon release the film is a big success, probably gets an Oscar nomination
>Mia becomes a star over night
>Spends the next three years gaining more fame and success, falls in love again, pops out a baby

Entirely plausible.
>>
>>79939050
>It will go down as one of the best movies release in the last 100-200 years
>200 years
>movies

why are la la landfags so fucking retarded holy shit
>>
>>79935693
>It was completely out of place.

If it had been anywhere but the opening scene, I'd agree with you. But the explosive beginning works well. It fits perfectly in terms of doing homage to older musicals, as well as setting up the central theme of following your dreams through the lyrics. It also contrasts well to the reality, where they're stuck in a daily morning L.A. traffic jam, it's an allegory to all the people trying to make it big in Hollywood, only to find themselves stuck in a rut with a bazillion other dream seekers who are all competing for that same minuscule chance of finding success.
>>
>>79937722
Fuck, what a good video. I don't really know if all of that improvement was Simmons but the final version is definitely sharper, better. Crazy how many paragraphs were just cut.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.