/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished reading Dune Is there hope for the Villeneuve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 22

File: dune.jpg (3MB, 1684x2309px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
3MB, 1684x2309px
I just finished reading Dune

Is there hope for the Villeneuve adaptation? Can this book be successfully adapted at all?
>>
David Lynch already made one.
>>
>>79932091
I have read the first book too.
Are the sequels worth?
>>
File: DragonInTheSea.jpg (53KB, 521x798px) Image search: [Google]
DragonInTheSea.jpg
53KB, 521x798px
>>79932273
Everyone should read the prequel first.
>>
>>79932273
Only the Frank Herbert ones. Brian Herbert is a tumor and anything he made should be avoided like the plague.
>>
>>79932425
To be fair, everything after God Emperor is awful.
>implying clone saga
>>
File: manuel-robles-sandwormsbr.jpg (456KB, 1920x1081px) Image search: [Google]
manuel-robles-sandwormsbr.jpg
456KB, 1920x1081px
>>79932165
>Weirding Way martial art replaced with a brown note gun

It was ok. Didn't do the book justice though.
>>
>>79932514
I would have wanted to read the last chapter Frank planned to write to complete the second trilogy. It suffers from not having a conclusion too much.
>>
File: sandworm_by_makent-d7wpxlq.jpg (291KB, 1000x570px) Image search: [Google]
sandworm_by_makent-d7wpxlq.jpg
291KB, 1000x570px
>>79932273
Dune, Children of Dune, Dune Messiah and God Emperor of Dune are worth reading.

Skip everything else. Particularly the fucking prequels his son made as a cash-in.

>Butlerian Jihad reduced to a robots vs humans terminator war

ree
>>
>>79932514
So, in short, you didn't understand books 5 and 6 ?
>>
>>79932630
>Not liking Heretics and Chapter House
Children was the worst fucking one m8, boring af desu.
>>
>>79932630
I know a little bit about the sequels but i've never read any. Does frank herbert make the concept of a guy becoming a human-sandworm hybrid and ruling the galaxy for thousands of years work? Because i can't imagine that working.
>>
>>79932542
>Muuuuuaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh-DIB!
Thanks for reminding me about those shitty fucking guns.
>>
>>79932542
U niggers realize that super speed would have looked dumb with the effects of that tiem
>>
>>79932091

Villeneuve turned a very dry hard science fiction short story with the exact opposite of a hollywood ending and turned it into one of the best movies of the year. He might actually do it justice. Or at the very least the best version so far.
>>
File: dune__sand_rituals_by_gorrem.jpg (607KB, 595x828px) Image search: [Google]
dune__sand_rituals_by_gorrem.jpg
607KB, 595x828px
>>79932893
They could have just had a normal martial art, something that made it look like they were predicting the strikes before they happened.

Pretty much anything other than 'hey guize, let me join ur desert club and i'll give u magic-gunz'. The Weirding Way is the only reason Paul manages to survive more than 10 minutes in a culture where even the children can fight better than most grown men, replacing it with a gun removed that completely.
>>
>>79932273
Read 3 books of Dune stop before God Emperor. That is the Phantom Menace of Dune. Everything after it is prequel tier. When his son takes over, that becomes worse than a direct to video parody of the series.
>>
>>79933642
This is bait
Read till chpatherhouse
>>
>>79932091
I'd say it can but not in film. Each Dune book, especially the first, is just so massive attempting to compress it into three hours simply isn't gonna work.
>>
>>79933671
By that I was implying a TV adaptation could do it justice but it would be hard
>>
File: joe-tuscany-godc.jpg (283KB, 959x1500px) Image search: [Google]
joe-tuscany-godc.jpg
283KB, 959x1500px
>>79933642
Oh shut the fuck up you stupid piece of shit. God Emperor is a great book. I have no idea where you get this prequel shit from?
>>
>>79933670
This is a lie. God Emperor and everything after it is garbage.
>>
>>79933739
God Emperor is one of the worst books ever written.
>I am a worm now
>Nothing happens for 10,000 years
>Let me spend 46 chapters of dry exposition to explain the nothing that happened and how boring the nothing is and how my stupid plan was really slow and stupid and boring
The end. Please buy 20 sequels with no content.
>>
>>79932091
I don't know why people say that Dune is unadaptable
It's a very archetypal story
It's literally about a teenage boy with a great destiny that becomes a hero
It's the same plot as Star Wars or Harry Potter or Hunger Games or whatever.

The world isn't even that complicated
It's Game of Thrones in space and they're all fighting over space-oil from space-Arabia
>>
>>79933742
This is bait take to extremes
Read till chaptherhouse
>>
>>79933778
>The book didn't instantly gratify me with gratutious action and le plot tweests
>Ergo it is a bad book

GRRM plz go.
>>
>>79933739
Don't bite the bait anon. Just don't.
>>
>>79933742
>God Emperor
>Garbage
It's the last good one
>>
>>79933778
So you didn't understand it
Read it again when you are older
>>
>>79933843
This is literally Brian Herbert. Fuck off. You ruined your father's books after he released a few bad ones at the end.

>>79933857
>>79933876
>>79933912
God Emperor is babby's first Dune. Simplistic, childish, written for idiots.
>>
100% guaranteed they fuck it up

they have to for marketing and mass appeal
>>
>>79934019
Believe in Villeneuve
>>
>>79933837
>It's literally about a teenage boy with a great destiny that becomes a hero

It's a story about a teenage boy who does his best to avoid his destiny as a messiah, because he sees it will unleash a universal jihad and kill millions, partially succeeds and just becomes a despot who rules by fear instead.
>>
>>79934103
Yeah, lots of Chosen One type protags struggle with their destiny
Rejecting the Call is a big part of the Heroic Cycle
>>
>>79932091
I doubt it. It's one of those series that suffer when you have visual adaptions.
>>
>>79934072
nah dude, it's not something that can be avoided

they won't even consciously think about it; it's inherent to big budget movies
>>
>>79934019
Not as long as they keep the budget realistic, that is, not hiring capeshit actors. At least Lucas had that going for it, he looked for decent cheap talent.

No one knows what Dune is so I hope the studio isn't expecting a billion dollars and is forced to dumb down everything.
>>
>>79933111
Villeneuve turned an interesting and moving story into a meandering and unsatisfying snorefest.
>>
>>79934179
Yeah, usually by being a whiny little bitch going 'but I don't wanna save the universe!' not actively trying to avoid being the one who fucks it.

Paul says at the start of the book, the only clear way he can see of avoiding the jihad is if he dies.

As it is, he still unleashes the Fremen on the universe, just in a slightly more controlled way.
>>
>>79932630
Seconded
>>
>>79932091
Yeah, its not that complex of a story. Its like Lawrence of Arabia meets Foundation
>>
Honestly, God Emperor is when the series took a right turn towards shit. Its when Duncan gholas become the main character and its when the Duncan circle jerk really kicks into full gear. Everything bad about the last 3 Dune books has to do with gholas in general, but Duncan gholas most of all.
>>
>>79934103
Everything you said is
>space-Arabia
Sad thing, you didn't even mention the themes that will surely be lost when adapting as they aren't SJW enough or the scifi concepts that will surely be replaced by very cheap and cliche designs.
>>
>>79932091
Foundation is a better SF work and its going to be a TV series soon hell year!
>>
>>79934378
>themes that will surely be lost when adapting

Like what?
>>
>>79934179
I always forget about the part in the Heroic Cycle when the protag unleashes legions of warriors upon the Universe and becomes a worm god emperor with a retroactive maternal memory.
>>
>>79932091
>Is there hope for the Villeneuve adaptation?
>Villeneuve

Nope. Arrival is a mediocre adaptation of an OK short story. Dune is going to be a well shot shitshow.
>>
>>79934362
The universe is great
You barely notice Duncan
>>
>>79934484
>Confuses Paul with Leto II
>Think he knows what he's talking about
lmao
>>
>>79934484
I don't remember Idaho doing any of that. If I recall it was the anti-heroes Paul and Leto 2 that did those.
>>
>>79934512
>You barely notice Duncan
Not that guy but Duncan is shoved in your face from book 5 onward. It's the Duncan Emperor of Duncanland book Duncan of the Duncan Cycle.
>>
>>79934434
>Struggle as the key force in the universe, an anti-millenial thesis.
>Every muslim is a jihadists (crazy fanatics)
>White blue eyed european is king of SF Middle East, Jesus Christ basically.
>Eugenics is pretty alright
>Being poor and living in harsh conditions is pretty alright too
>Having mistresses is even more alright
>Baby being killed
>>
>>79934589
Yeah, and you barely notice him
>>
>>79934378
Prepare for every mention of 'jihad' to be replaced with 'crusade'.

He does use crusade in the book, but rarely.

No way a major hollywood movie is going to have it's main character doing everything in his power to stop a bunch of religious fanatic Not!Arabs from murdering the known universe though.

It'll be a straight-up; Fremen = Noble Desert Warriors vs Harkonnen = Decadent Western Warmongers/Oil-exploiters with none of the 'just because you've been wronged doesn't make it OK to murder everyone for your god' the books balances the Fremen with.
>>
File: 1482801642754.jpg (230KB, 1600x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1482801642754.jpg
230KB, 1600x1172px
>New Dune movie incoming
>Finally have the CGI to do Shai-Hulud justice

hyped
>>
>>79934645
>In the end it turns out Muslims were right all along
>Muslims conquer the Christian empire
>10,000 years of Muslim rule under a literal god
>Space Islam spreads across the galaxy and this is good
>>
Cast Chani.
>>
>>79932091
The scifi miniseries was a serviceable adaption. Though I think Lynch had a better aesthetic. It'll be interesting to see what Legendary does.
>>
>>79934792
It's gonna be over designed garbage. Everything will be. Even the recent SW films are and they're trying to copy the perfect art style of the OT.
>>
>>79934645
>Baby being killed
This is how I know you actually read the book.
Most people forget those two sentences.
>>
>>79932630
>Skip everything else.
Heretics and Chapterhouse are patrician tier.
>>
>>79932273
I lost interest after Messiah honestly.
>>
>>79934817
Mia Khalifa
>>
File: 1339863484352.jpg (22KB, 279x284px) Image search: [Google]
1339863484352.jpg
22KB, 279x284px
tfw I read all the way to Heretics, and then 2 chapters in, lost my Dad's first edition copy.

I've never touched a Dune novel since.
>>
>>79934800
You mean the Sisterhood was correct all along, and eugenics is the way.
They don't.
It doesn't and it isn't.
>>
i watched the '84 film recently
why does this film have "cult" status?
it's such a corny, dated 80s movie
I unironically liked 80s stars wars more compared to this

that princess at the very start was qt tho
>>
>>79934952
Nice b8
>>
>>79934952
Mainly because it's the only Dune movie and a lot of it's set/prop designs are pretty cool.
>>
>>79934939
And they realize that eugenics fucked them up in the ass
>>
i've read the first four, for me it's;
god emperor > messiah > dune > children, but all are very good.
>>
>>79934939
Sisterhood was wrong. Their program failed. The Muslims found the savior the Christian nuns failed to notice. The Muslim sisters proved to be stronger than the weak Christian nuns.
>>
>>79934952
It's a meme. It's a "it's so bad it's good movie". Basically a joke in celluloid form.
>>
File: 1456985694567.jpg (34KB, 373x457px) Image search: [Google]
1456985694567.jpg
34KB, 373x457px
>>79934952
>Not liking Picard as Gurney Halleck
>>
>>79935007
>duncan was never part of the golden path
>duncan was never the true kwisatz and didn't prove the sisterhood method correct ie eugenics
>>
>>79934103
wasn't he essentially trying to avoid what leto ended up embracing? the jihad still happened, if not at the scale paul feared.
>>
Is Hyperion worth reading as well?
>>
ALOHA SNACKBAR

BENE GESSERIT WILL START THE FIRE
>>
>>79935042
Picard was based as always but that guy next to him was a cornball
>>
>>79935070
Kind of. Pauls entire arc is basically reluctant hero that chooses to fail.

Leto became greater than his father because he accepted his role.
>>
File: Dune_Fish_Speaker_Concept.jpg (154KB, 756x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dune_Fish_Speaker_Concept.jpg
154KB, 756x1000px
>>79934939
>You mean the Sisterhood was correct all along

Their plan wasn't to create an unstoppable despot who rules with an iron fist (and qt warrior wimmin) for 10,000 years before deliberately fucking the human race in the ass to make them strong again.

i.e. the reason we don't use eugenics in real life; it's unethical and prone to backfiring horribly (in genetic bottlenecking terms, not 'indestructable, prescient worm-man' terms)
>>
>>79935074
Hyperion is better than Dune. The first half of the Hyperion cantos is elder god tier. The second half is still better than the later Dune books.
>>
>>79935114
can't really blame paul when it was either become a giant immortal worm that kickstarts an age of rapid human evolution and diversification or become prophet emperor and rule a somewhat stable galactic empire.

prophet really resonated with me because i love the whole "even in success all must eventually fail" tone
>>
>>79935074
Yes
Like the other anon said, Hyperion is GOAT while Fall of Hyperion is pretty good but doesn't live up to the quality of the first part.
The Endymion series is pretty good too
>>
>>79935116
>Their plan wasn't to create an unstoppable despot who rules with an iron fist
Actually it was. The only difference is that they wanted to be the ones controlling the kwisatz.
I'm positive the scene prior to pauls jomgabar test in the books talks about this
>>
File: ilya-ozornin-dune.jpg (271KB, 979x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ilya-ozornin-dune.jpg
271KB, 979x1500px
>>79935070
Nah, he never attempted the Golden Path, his main concern was becoming a figurehead for the Fremen jihad.

Most of his futures, even the ones where he died, led to millions of Fremen warriors pouring out from Arrakis and slaughtering everyone in a religious frenzy.

His whole deal in Dune is trying to walk a tightrope between doing too much and causing the Jihad, and doing too little and causing the Jihad.

Leto II's Golden Path is unrelated, Paul saw it, but also saw the immense bloodshed the Scattering would cause in 10,000 years, so pussied out of it in the same way he did becoming Mohammed 2.0
>>
>>79935225
Well maybe, but regardless, it's hardly a glowing recommendation for eugenics anymore than Frankenstein is for stapeling bits of executed criminals together.
>>
>>79935232
that's what i meant, he pussied out of the worm way, and instead tried to make the best of the alternative that was the jihad. it was sad to see what he became in children, never forget.
>>
>>79934434
Well, aside from the fact that a full half of the development of Paul's character is done through entirely unfilmable sequences of him looking within himself to achieve oracular vision and precognition, as well as scenes of everybody tripping out on changed Water of Life probably looking stupid on camera, there's just a ton of thematic elements to the book that would be too clumsy or obscure to film, even for people who enjoy that kind of thing. The interplay of masculinity and femininity, the question of free will, the comparison of ecological properties and the human conscience, the impermanence of objects in the presence of time, the deconstruction of the messiah figure and the implications of a messiah being given dominion over government, economics, and the military, etc.

But really, the key thing about Dune is its ability to, like all great science fiction, hint at a universe that is intricate and complex, all operating behind the scenes. You don't even meet the Padishah Emperor until the end of the first book, but through clever use of Irulan's accounts, policies, Sardaukar influence, his hidden motivations for deposing Leto, and his political presence at every turn in Paul's journey, you feel like you've known his character the whole time. That's just something that's nigh impossible to reproduce on screen.
>>
>>79935269
Nobody said it was good, but the ultimate point of the story is freeing humans from destiny and in the series, eugenics is the best way to achieve that.
>>
>>79935133
>>79935190
I will try it out then. I have been wanting to read it for awhile but I really don't want to read something that is bad.
>>
>>79935070
About midway through the first book Paul realizes that becoming Maud'dib means he's unleashing the Freman Jihad and is almost powerless to stop it (even dying would just make him a martyr). By the end of Dune he reluctantly accepts his role and power. It's in the next two books when he chooses to take the blind prophet route and not become God Emperor/walk the Golden Path. He could barely handle unleashing the Jihad, let alone the brutality the Golden Path took.
>>
File: shrike.jpg (401KB, 750x844px) Image search: [Google]
shrike.jpg
401KB, 750x844px
>>79935392
You're in for a treat.
>>
>>79935337
Criticism of the Lynch film I always hear is the use of inner monologue.
I personally found it the perfect way to execute the moments where their looking ito themselves, or when the gesserit are watching for subtle body manipulations/deceit. You can't translate that over properly without some spoken word.
If you just had them staring at each other in silence and focused on one body part twitching people wouldn't understand it.

I doubt this dune adaption will be any better than Lynch's
>>
>>79935392
You'll love it and read it again and again. I'm on my fourth reading of Hyperion and it just keeps getting better. When Dan Simmons is playing his A game, no one is better.
>>
Space jihadi when??
>>
>>79935556
Well considering even in the books the islamists couldn't into spacetravel, never.
>>
>>79933837
>It's Game of Thrones in space
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>79935512
I haven't personally watched the movie, but I was aware of the monologuing when I read the book, and there really aren't that many scenes in which a voiceover is necessary. The internal "this is how I'll beat him" parts where Paul fights Jamis and Feyd-Rautha could easily be replaced with him relating it to his mother for the audience's sake. I'm also baffled at why Lynch thought the Weirding Way was too complicated for the movie, it's really not that hard to explain in a movie context through careful exposition.
>>
File: fremengirl.jpg (124KB, 875x1308px) Image search: [Google]
fremengirl.jpg
124KB, 875x1308px
>>79935589
They could, Fremen were originally Sunni refugees fleeing slavers who attacked their previous world.

They fled to the greatest shithole they could find, in the belief that no one would bother them over a waterless rock.

Then Spice was discovered.
>>
>>79935717
To be fair, the Fremen culture didn't exist as we know it until Selim Wormrider
>>
>>79934885
They're pretty good sci-fi, but are so far removed from the original that they are barely even Dune books anymore.
>>
>>79935877
The prequel prequels are horrible but the prequels were alright.
>>
>>79932091
>I just finished reading Dune

>>>/lit/
>>
File: 1484844820813.gif (2MB, 442x222px) Image search: [Google]
1484844820813.gif
2MB, 442x222px
>>79935809
>implying the prequels are canon
>>
when will they start casting this??
>>
>>79934817
Alicia Vikander.
>>
>>79935993
Probably just before the director quits.

Dune is cursed.
>>
>>79935959
As canon as the end books are.
Yes they're terrible but some of the characters were pretty good. Selim (until his pointless death), Norma Cenva, Vorian until the bombing of Earth, the guy that loved Norma
>>
>>79934817
Elle fanning
>>
Can game of shit plebs please back off of Dune, youre not welcome here
>>
>>79936025
Also Piter 1 was based as fuck, much better than Franks Piter
>>
>>79935225
Their plan was to create someone to guide mankind with as little mistakes as it was possible
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
>more than 100 replies
>not a single mention of this

Truly these are the worst of times on /tv/.
>>
>>79937402
Jodo is an insane drug-addled rapist who happened to be born at just the right time where that could lead to a moderately successful artistic career instead of prison.

Thank Kek he never had the chance to make a Dune movie.
>>
>>79932091
Dune is too fucking big to compress into a 2-3hr movie.

The best hope for Dune is a television series where they can lay out how intricate the series is.
>>
>>79932311
What is this. That cover is terrible.
>>
>>79935090
it's a really cool part in the book where he finds Gurney again, it's a shame it's little more than a throw-away scene in the film.
>>
>>79935042
If they show Halleck in swordplay, it better not be over choreographed or shaky cam/cut angle bullshit.
>>
>>79937736
>best hope for Dune is a television series
They already did a miniseries didn't they?
>>
>>79932273
The first book is alright, the next three are around the same quality, ergo not worth your time. You've read the first, so you won't feel as if you're missing out.
>>
>>79934817
Ella Purnell
>>
>>79937402
Fuck that old cunt and his self-aggrandizing bullshit
>>
>>79932091

it needs 2 movies at the minimum, a single movie would not be able to compress the events of the first book into one entity unless you want to watch a 5 hour long movie PLEASE GOD GIVE ME THIS
>>
>>79933778

t. i read the plot summary on wikipedia and ive never actually owned the book
>>
>>79934103

>millions

more like trillions, anon
>>
>>79937402
why should we mention that
>>
>>79939529

yes

it was far more faithful to the novel, though not necessarily better

suffered from low budgets and literally 0 art direction
>>
>>79932732
God Emperor of Dune is tied with Dune as the best book in the series.
>>
>>79933699
An animated TV series is honestly the best way to adapt the series.
>>
>>79937402
>>79937473
>>79940567
thats the point. both herbert and jodorowsky are charlatans that pop'd lots of acid
>>
>>79933642
God Emperor was much more cerebral than the earlier books. Just because not so much happened doesn't mean it's a bad story.
>>
>>79932165
>David Lynch already made one.

Lynch made a great movie but it was a shit adaption
>>
File: pinky and the brain-02.gif (186KB, 636x534px) Image search: [Google]
pinky and the brain-02.gif
186KB, 636x534px
>>79932273
>Are the sequels worth?

No.

Herbert’s shitbag son, having no actual talent of his own, concocted a bullshit story about miraculously finding a trunk or suitcase with all kinda long lost notes and outlines from his dad concerning the “Dune” series, (none of which anybody has ever seen) then hired Kevin J.Anderson to supposedly help him organize and polish up these secret notes into what would become the horribly written “prequel” series.

I’ve read “House Atreides”, “House Harkonnen” and “The Butlerian Jihad” (bought them all at once) and upon finishing them, promptly threw them in the trash, so that nobody else could be harmed by those particular copies.
>>
Yeah we need more fremen. I'm sure he can do it.

Though scenes like baron meeting the other special bene gesserit male would not be good
>>
File: the-cat-in-the-hat-book-cover.jpg (25KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
the-cat-in-the-hat-book-cover.jpg
25KB, 293x400px
>>79933778
>God Emperor is one of the worst books ever written.

I'm thinking this book may be more your speed...
>>
>>79932165
Didn't he disown it?
>>
>>79935337
well put
>>
>>79934862
I didnt read the sequels but I heard that he had another son that literally had the same name. Is it true?
>>
>>79932091
>reading fiction
kys
>>
>>79933837
I think it's more adaptability from expectation.

Everyone who reads Dune gets their own image of it.
>>
File: uCh1B3u.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
uCh1B3u.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>79937473
True to a point, but you have to admire Jodo's casting:

>Mick Jagger = Duke Leto
>Orson Welles = Baron Harkonnen
>Salvador Dali = Emperor Shaddam IV

Also getting Moebius and HR Giger involved with pre-production was a step in the right direction.
>>
File: Lexa_S3_episode_2.png (326KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Lexa_S3_episode_2.png
326KB, 600x338px
>>79934817
>>
>>79943387
Pretty much, yeah. But he blames the studio for not letting him do what he at first had planned.
>>
>>79932749
a reminder: the shitty fucking guns were an invention of David Lynch because, evidently, he was unable to demonstrate that the Fremen were better fighters than the Sardaukar cinematically.
>>
>>79934406
i recently re-read the Foundation books, and they are as dull as ditchwater. all of the epic space battles and fights take place off screen.

a Foundation TV series would be like the title crawl from Star Wars episode 1, going for three hours.
>>
>>79943644
Not the same but his father's name. Leto II, and he was born buch later, like 15-20 years from the point when he became emperror(basically end of fist Dune).
His first son died(Chani's first son) in the battle with sardaukar.
>>
>>79934484
i always forget the part in the Heroic cycle where the hero blinds himself and then wanders into the desert and then comes out years later to tell everyone his sister is a slut and provoking her to have him murdered.
>>
>>79934589
funny, as the series progressed i felt it was less about the Atreides and more about the Bene Gesserit.
>>
>>79934724
I hope Villeneuve is reasonable enough to stand on his own when the studio wants to fuck his shit up. It ofcourse depends on how good of a movie Blade runner will be.
>>
>>79936025
"the characters were pretty good"

> Leto's first son is killed in a terrorist attack
> he reels back, clenches his fists
> shouts "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

you are a terrible person and you need to die.
>>
>>79933111
Second this, but I feel like he still has to prove himself(finally) with Blade runner, and if it's good(and profitable) he's goona have his hands all over Dune without much problems with the studio. Basically like Nolan with Batman. That's what I expect.
>>
>>79934103
>partially succeeds
confirmed for not understanding a simple wrinkle in space opera plots
>just becomes a despot who rules by fear
in other words, a successful hero

>lived long enough to see himself and then his son become the villain
>>
>>79934817
>Chani is Ms. anorexia, indiemag cover girl for april
big budget adaptation for the millennial market is a mistake
>>
>>79933837
It's all about the undertones though. Those are why Dune is really good and they are extremely hard to adapt. Also it's the same reason when you remove the political messages and undertones you end up with the simple plotline you summarized.
>>
>>79936025
I just headcanon Legend of the Galactic Heroes as the prequel to Dune Book 1
>>
>>79932091
>>79932091
It's been adapted many times, but all of them sucked. The Lynch adaptation started strong and quickly turned to shit like a half hour in.

About the only format that would work successfully for Dune is something like an HBO series like Game of Thrones where there's a season dedicated to each book.

I want to believe the new movie will be good but it would be very hard to even cram the first book into feature film length. It's just far too immersive and expansive, there's far too many characters for 1 film to do it justice.

I want to believe, but I have serious misgivings.
>>
>>79946741
What if he makes 2 hour duologies per book, first cut-off being the escape of Paul and Jessica from Liet's sietch into the unknowns of an Arrakian typhoon?
>>
>>79946741
no I'm sick of hearing that dumb hbo series meme. it's a terrible meme. and I'm using meme correctly. make it a trilogy or split it. lynch failed because he lacked a shred of imagination, so we got dumb lynch shit like heart plugs and weirding tools. couldn't even adapt internal monologues to film, was it his first adaptation ever? just don't do that shit and it will be fine.
>>
>>79937402
>>>reddit
>>
>>79933857
>GRRM plz go
GRRM is known for his slow burners though. Almost everything he writes is anti-climactic. It's a shame he's only known with Game of Thrones, his sci-fi stuff are really nice.
>>
>>79934817
Idris Elba
>>
>>79945048
Mick Jagger was going to be Feyd Rautha, David Carradine was going to Duke Leto.
>>
>>79947329
Fuck that casting was perfect.
Dune truly is cursed.
>>
>>79947479
Perhaps the finest thing about Jodorowsky's attempt was the artwork. Moebius, Gods and Giger are a match made in heaven.
>>
>>79932311
looks like a textbook, weird
>>
>>79933778
GE is pretty fun if you want to read Herbert's impression of a godlike being rambling about stuff.

I liked it, personally.

>>79933837
Dune has a lot of subtlety within its plot, which is much harder to adapt. The series are anti-messianic - chosen ones are bad, you can't just defeat a bad evil Emperor and magically bring justice to the world. A movie will likely just skip it and end with good Duke defeating evil Baron.
>>
>>79934645
>>White blue eyed european is king of SF Middle East
If you're talking about Paul, he's mixed race. Duke Leto is olive-skinned, dark-haired, has an aquiline nose, is a distant relative of Agamenon. Jessica is white though, being a filthy Harkonnen daughter. And every Fremen has blue-in-blue eyes, so...
>>
>>79948373
i dont get what dark hair or aquiline noses has to do with not being white.
>>
>>79948855
So you're just going to omit "olive-skinned"? But to answer your question, those are pretty typical Mediterranean features, which are also typical of Atreides. A faithful to book Paul wouldn't exactly look like a Western European, you wouldn't get "obviously white guy leading not-Arab savages" vibes from him. Then again, he would also be what, 13 by the beginning of the story?
>>
FATHER
>>
>>79949017
THE SLEEPER
>>
>>79949220
HAS AWAKENED
>>
>>79932732
Leto is such a hilarious character. Autistic cuck and troll, but kinda cool at the same time.
>>
>>79932091
>I just finished reading Dune
>Is there hope for the Villeneuve adaptation? Can this book be successfully adapted at all?
After watching Arrival, I don't think so.
>>
File: nigas.jpg (509KB, 534x629px) Image search: [Google]
nigas.jpg
509KB, 534x629px
>dune
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.