[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>gandalf >represents humanity and the societal world, reflected

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: bluewizards.jpg (136KB, 700x453px) Image search: [Google]
bluewizards.jpg
136KB, 700x453px
>gandalf
>represents humanity and the societal world, reflected in his ability to rally the people's of middle earth and his status as a wanderer who meets many people
>saurman
>represents craft and the artificial world, reflected in his intimate knowledge of rings and ringcraft, as well as his creation of gunpowder (possibly) and cold view on humanity
>radagast
>represents the natural world and calm indifference to humanity, generally avoids interacting with anyone but animals
So what do the blue wizards represent?
>>
>>79880105
All we know about them is they walked east and never came back.
>>
>>79880164
I thought one went south and one went east
>>
>>79880105

If Gandalf is social world it would follow that the blue wizards that wandered alone far away are the inner world of thought, meditation and imagination.
>>
>>79880105
I don't think the Istari represented much. Yes, they have patron valar like all maiar, but I don't think drawing such limiting ideas about their personas is relevant.

iirc, one of the blue wizards wasn't supposed to be there, it's just that he was the friend of the other one (a maiar of Orome), and that other blue wizard insisted that his friend join them too. So, there's that. As for the official, original blue wizard, being a maiar of Orome, and to extend your logic, I guess he was obsessed with exploration, like Orome was long ago.

Only place to explore is pretty much east and south.
>>
File: sauronsman.jpg (67KB, 500x770px) Image search: [Google]
sauronsman.jpg
67KB, 500x770px
>>79880184
And this guy's sayin' "whaddya want from me?"
Guy's got a nice head of white hair...
>>
>>79880105
>>79880164
They went to Japan. They repesent weeaboos
>>
>>79880105
who was the other blue wizard?
>>
They used magic bows?
>>
File: whaddyawantfromme.jpg (268KB, 440x546px) Image search: [Google]
whaddyawantfromme.jpg
268KB, 440x546px
>>79880627
underrated
>>
>>79880105

It's nto so much what the represent as their deeper natures. Saurman is obsessed with knowledge, so he was corrupted by it. Radagast loved nature, so he was corrupted by it. The Blue Wizards loved magic, so they were corrupted by it. What did Gandalf love? Gandalf loved goodness, he loved virtue, he loved Hobbits, he loved the Valar. He avoided corruption because he was innocent and unworldly.
>>
>>79880164
>>79880184

They went into the East together. Where they ended up, Tolkien never "discovered".
>>
>>79880779

They used a lot more magic than the other three, and founded various cults and societies of magicians.
>>
>>79880834
How were Radagast and the blue wizards corrupted?
>>
>>79881057

Radagast came to care more about MUH NATURE than his mission.Sure, he kept tabs on Sauron for Gandalf, an he found Gandalf after Saruman kidnapped him, but he took no active part in rallying the Free people against teh Shadow.
>Indeed, of all the Istari, one only remained faithful [Gandalf], and he was the last-comer. For Radagast, the fourth, became enamoured of the many beasts and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook Elves and Men, and spent his days among wild creatures.
>Tolkien, in a note dated 1954
The Blue Wizards went into the East and nothing is known about them. Tolkien wrote that they "doubtless failed" and founded various mystical orders dedicated to magic, their obsession and downfall. Much later, he seems to have changed his mind a little, and credits them with fighting Sauron's forces in the East.
>I really do not know anything clearly about the other two [wizards] – since they do not concern the history of the N[orth].W[est]. I think they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Númenórean range: missionaries to 'enemy-occupied' lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.
>T., 1958
>Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.
>T. 1973
>>
>>79880105
Rebellion and Independence of Eastern peoples against Sauron
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.