[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is oscar bait? Like I know it's like movies that were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1486540457761.jpg (148KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486540457761.jpg
148KB, 600x750px
What is oscar bait?

Like I know it's like movies that were made to get nominations but how do you tell if it's oscar bait?
>>
/tv/ uses oscarbait toward anything that gets nominated or has dramatic sensibilities, which is basically everything that's not capeshit or appeal to the 'gaming' audience (you can still read retards around here calling Whiplash 'oscarbait')
>>
When they show meryl streeps insufferably smug face.
>>
>>79870575
depressing movies about black jewish homosexuals persecuted just for being different while dramatic music plays etc., you get the idea
>>
>>79870575
It's basically any movie that comes out in november or december that isn't an action, comedy, triller, or horror film.
>>
>>79870575
>Limited release, but enough so the judges can see the movie so it qualifies.
>Tackle a favorite topic of the academy(minority struggles, the movie industry itself, popular political figures(or unpopular if shown in negative light))
>Be distributed by one of the big studios
>>
It's made by blacks, is about blacks or features blacks as main characters
>>
>>79870575
According to /tv/ oscarbait is
>Anything with a black person in it
>Anything with a gay person in it
>Anything with a disabled person in it
>Anything with a non-white lead
>Anything that isn't capeshit or star wars
>>
identity politics and victim narratives are common qualities of oscar bait
>>
Overly soppy movies about trending issues, or issues that have been covered extensively by oscar-winning movies. Older themes include period dramas about slavery, the holocaust, mental or physical disabilities. Newer themes are black identity/rights and transgenderism

Also included is films about the industry itself. The voters are so narcissistic that they love that shit. See: la la land
>>
File: oscarbait_9451.jpg (36KB, 340x400px) Image search: [Google]
oscarbait_9451.jpg
36KB, 340x400px
>>79870575

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OscarBait

TV Tropes is your friend
>>
oscar judges are known to favor certain types of film over others. some of them don't even watch the movies they vote for, like animated movies. oscar bait means to make a movie in a certain way that will make a judge more likely to vote for it, like posting hot girls will mean more people will look at my post
>>
Kimi no na wa was a great film. It had beautiful cinematography and a moving yet unconventional story. However it can't be considered Oscar Bait because it wasn't released in November/December and wasn't screened for LA critics. It wasn't made with critics in mind. Compare to Zootopia, a film about American racism issues and American pop culture references and you will start to understand
>>
>>79871144
That's actually pretty helpful.
>>
Anything pumped out by the Weinsteins
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.