[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of my favorite ways filmmakers end their movies is through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: ytumamatambien06.jpg (80KB, 1280x772px) Image search: [Google]
ytumamatambien06.jpg
80KB, 1280x772px
One of my favorite ways filmmakers end their movies is through a prologue where two characters who were once close, but drifted apart, see each other again after a long time, but they discover that things have changed and can't go back to how they were.

"Y Tu Mama Tambien" had Tenoch and Julio running into each other and having coffee. The women they each fucked had died. They had both broken up with their own girlfriends. They were going off to grad school, I think. The narrator says "They'd never see each other again."

"Little Men" saw Jake getting into the private high school he'd dreamt of, and while working on a project one day, from across the room, he saw Tony and his new friends. He didn't say anything, but wanted to. He couldn't though. Things had changed.

"Stand By Me," in a way. Via Gordie's narration, he saws that two of his best friends, Vern and Teddy, just kind of grew apart and that they never spoke after the summer they saw the body. He and Chris stayed kind of close, but when High School rolled around, they stopped hanging out. Years later, Gordie reads in the paper Chris had died.

I can't put my finger on why, but I really love this ending. It's a bitter emotion, but kind of makes the story you just saw all the more meaningful because it was so fleeting. What are some more movies that do this?
>>
Not exactly the same thing but the ending of Sideways works in a similar fashion
>>
>>79800585
It's good. I've drifted apart from many good friends. Grateful to have had them and share the time.
>>
>>79800585
Once Upon a Time in America is absolutely GOAT
>>
>>79800806
Is that the one with Paul Giamatti? I never saw it. On my list now, though.

>>79800865
Definitely hits that feeling.

>>79800845
I think that is why I'm drawn to them. Can't get much more bittersweet than thinking about a bygone friendship that faded away. You become super happy thinking about those good times and "good ol' days," but sad that they're over. You might even be in a better place now, but it is a bitter feeling.
>>
>>79800585
I actually had a real life example of this recently. That feeling that you know you'll never see someone again after being so close is powerful.
>>
True Grit
>>
>>79801013
It really is. My best friend when I was 17-18 and I had a weird falling out back then and never recovered. It was over a couple dumbass things, like a girl and business stuff. He was the first really close male friend I ever had, who I could talk about anything with. Girls, video games, movies, hopes, dreams, God - anything. Then that stupid shit happened, and we stopped talking.

I'm 24 now. He's 25. I saw him about a year ago. We had lunch. He is a music teacher at a middle school. I'm about to start grad school for film production and screenwriting. It was a nice lunch, but when I shook his hand and said goodbye, we both make little comments like "we should do this again sometime."

Haven't talked to him since. Funny how that goes.

>>79801089
Ooooh, yes. GREAT ONE. Especially the Coen remake. "Time just gets away from us" as "Leaning on the everlasting arms" plays.

I thought of another one - The Sandlot. When the narrator is telling how each of the boys ended up, as they fade away from the baseball game is perfect, even though some of it is silly.
>>
File: 1484449123968.png (95KB, 259x237px) Image search: [Google]
1484449123968.png
95KB, 259x237px
Never asked for this feeling.
>>
Here's another one - Superbad.

Yeah, it's a Apatow teen sex comedy. But when Michael Cera and Jonah Hill are moving apart from each other on the escalator, it's actually pretty powerful. Things'll be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2FdWb9sn08

It's a great ending note, like I mentioned.

>>79801430
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened, etc
>>
>>79800956
Sideways is excellent.
>>
There's one movie that might fit in here, but I can't remember anything about it other than it's a VERY 70's movie, and they race bikes.

Help?
>>
>>79801634
Breaking Away?
>>
>>79801719
THAT is it! I loved that movie after catching it on HBO or cable or something when I was a kid. I guess I was wrong about the ending though. Looks like he wins the race, and The End. Oh well.
>>
>>79800865
Slipped my mind.

Thanks for mentioning it buddy.
>>
>>79800585
La La Land
>>
>>79800585
Interview with the Vampire.
>>
>>79802029
I was considering including La La Land. It hits a similar note - bittersweetness - but I guess maybe it's positivity gives it a different feeling. Loved the ending, though. Considered it happy, even though they don't end up together.
>>
>>79800585
Matchstick Men. only movie I can name off the top of my head where Nick Cage is great.
>>
>>79802267
Damn... Nic Cage actually made this great comedic movie once...

What happened to him?
>>
>>79802817
He was good and pretty funny in Raising Arizona.
>>
>>79802267
Adaptation
Wild at Heart
>>
I HATE these endings

Fuck even tdkr had one
>>
File: 1475474828191.png (36KB, 451x533px) Image search: [Google]
1475474828191.png
36KB, 451x533px
I've drifted away from all my friends now I'm completely alone at age 25
>>
>>79804230

I'm not sure you get what we're getting at. What we're talking about is not at all the tone or themes that TDKR ended with. True, two friends did run into each other, but that's the only similarity.

We're talking more about the idea of once strong and close friendships are either reconnected and things have changed so much that it can't be rekindled, or a protagonist reminiscing and/or updating the audience about what has happened since. Sometimes both.
>>
I know this too much from real life. Old friends that I still talk to but I no longer feel any reason to. And yet nobody has the guts to say it's simply not fun anymore.
>>
>>79805908
"Friends come in and out of our lives like busboys in a restaurant. That's just the way it is, I suppose."

"I never had anymore friends later in life like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

- Stand By Me
>>
Sleepers
>>
>>79801224
>The Sandlot

That one hit so hard on me when I was little, and I still go back to thinking about that scene when something similar happens irl.
>>
It's kind of different but I love the scene in LORT ROTK in which every hobbit is sitting on a tavern back on the Shire, and they look at each other knowing it just will never be or feel the same anymore.
>>
>>79806039

God, that always hits me hard.
>>
hell or high water, to some extent. the characters weren't close but the the ranger and the star trek guy have a good talk at the end of the film. a great way to end.
>>
>>79800585
That's an epilogue not a prologue you dumbfuck.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.