[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When this came out I thought it would change horror. I thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 10

When this came out I thought it would change horror. I thought it made evident truths about the genre that we had to address. But there wasn't even a single good horror movie to come out the next year, or the one after that. You finally get Babadook and It Follows 3 years later, in 2014. 2015 gave us The Witch and They Look Like People, and last year just doubled down on shit and excreeted reboot after reboot of shit tier horror. Only thing close to good was Split and that wasn't great. So what happened?
>>
Horror is harder if you want to get it right. It may not be worth the investment to make it really good kino because only a small number of people will even see it. That's why is cheaper for (((them))) to just write some half assed script and have some people get killed because only teens on a date night will see it anyway.
>>
Nothing out of any horror movie will come close to the kino that is the elevator scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3PtD6TEsM
>>
>>79722097
Real talk, I didn't like Cabin in the Woods. I honestly can't get into it, and I never understood the praise.
>>
>>79722097
Horror is a dead genre at this point. There's nothing that hasn't already been done.
>>
>>79722208
That is literally one of the most kino horror scenes ever.
>>
>>79722331
that is definitely not true. Cosmic horror is coming back in a big way. I bet we get a fucking Lovecraft cinematic universe in the nest 5 years.
>>
>>79722208
>>79722208
Jesus this place is full of redditors.
>>
>>79722331
Some of the best horror movies of all time are new takes on old premises.
>>
This thread is a joke right? you're trying to meme on people
>>
>>79722398
I miss the time when everyone just called each other a faggot instead of reddit
>>
>>79722272
That's fine if you didn't like it, but you probably aren't going to understand my point then, which is that horror needs to learn from that movie.
>>
>>79722441
I'd actually be very interested as to why you think horror needs to learn from it. IMO, this is the kind of thing that horror needs to stop being.
>>
>>79722425
not at all, what makes you say that?
>>
>>79722472
Which is very ironic, since this movie is a satire on about every horror cliche that has ever existed
>>
>>79722508
Exactly, I loathe "meta horror", which Cabin in the Woods was a proud example of. it probably doesn't hurt that I also didn't like the Scream series, which arguably started the trend
>>
>>79722428
>oh look a bunch of cool monsters and killers and shit
Only redditors and 12 year olds can watch this shit and like it.
>>
>>79722472
we dont need another CitW. we only needed one of those to show us the formula behind all the rest. you see, CitW is post-horror. It couldnt exist without years of established horror tropes and the future of horror cannot exist without CitW. It simply btfo'd anyone making generic horror. Since then mvies like The Witch and The Babadook and It Follows have gotten horror right by taking a part of the human condition that is actually scary in real life - and making your monster out of that.
>>
File: FG3ACB1HJ6010K4.MEDIUM.jpg (10KB, 300x391px) Image search: [Google]
FG3ACB1HJ6010K4.MEDIUM.jpg
10KB, 300x391px
>>79722380
>cinematic universe
>>
>>79722565
Scary movies have been making satires about horrors for 2 decades.
>>
>>79722593
I didn't say it would be good, but tell me you don't see it happening.
>>
>>79722620
Give me some examples. Scream was just a slasher that inserted some meta commentary. Nothing has done it and deconstructed it as carefully as CitW.
>>
>>79722565
>It simply btfo'd anyone making generic horror.
It very clearly didn't, considering that generic horror is still very prominent. And what you say about The Witch, Babadook, and It Follows can be applied to the better horror films pre-CitW. I just don't see how it was "necessary" like you say.
>>
>>79722562
If it helps you sleep at night
>>
>>79722654
can you cite the better pre-CitW movies you mentioned?
>>
>>79722673
Passive aggressive. The telltale sign of the numale redditor.
>>
>>79722654
it was important because it said "we have seen it all." and challenged us to do something new.
>>
You thought WAY too highly of CitW.

Horror was already in the dumps when it came out and will remain so because the genre is lousy.
>>
>>79722714
In terms of "part of the human condition that is actually scary in real life", Saw, Behind the Mask, American Psycho (arguably), Martyrs, and I'm certain I'm forgetting some.
>>
File: 8.jpg (20KB, 315x310px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
20KB, 315x310px
>But there wasn't even a single good horror movie to come out the next year
>no good horror in 2013
>Jug Face and A Field in England came out that year
>>
>>79722097
Babadook was utter shit
>>
>>79722888
Martyrs I do absolutely agree on and it is one of my favorite movies. But we need more of that. I appreciate your willingness to come up with actual examples.
>>
>>79722898
the child actor was shit, the movie was great.
>>
>>79722945
No problem. Honestly, I'm just trying to go by memory, and I'd need to do a bit more digging to really remember what was released during that period.
>>
This shit is literally a half-cooked Deadpool in terms of lasting effect. It's capable of pointing out the clichè tropes but fails to improve upon them in anyway-- at least Deadpool presents an entire personality that allows dynamic commentary, addictive action and endless humor without closing the door on it all at the end. What is Cabin in the Woods but an observation and ironic commentary? If it knows the horror genre so well, why won't it improve on it? It's literally just an excellent Scary Movie.

You want change? Acknowledge how terribly clichè the tropes of the horror genre are, and then actually terrify your audience. Instill fear and outdo all those that came before you.

It's all too easy to just point out the issues. If you can't actually reshape the conversation who the fuck cares?
>>
>>79723018
You have some goid points. my only counter is that maybe the filmmakers hoped it would create a framework within which all modern horror would fit, thinking it would encourage others to intentionally leave that fraamework.
>>
>>79722097
>But there wasn't even a single good horror movie to come out the next year, or the one after that
>You finally get Babadook and It Follows
[picture of man laughing himself to asphyxiation]
>>
>>79722795
don't worry anon, it's been a long 7 minutes but I'm here to take that dude's place and give you the (you)'s you so crave
>>
>>79723169

The only reason whedon was so effective with dialogue is because other people emulated his teenagers being written by witty 30 year olds to bump up his genre drama.

The industry has to want to steal from you and they already did that with Buffy. There is an intent difference, he never planned on anyone stealing anything or influencing shit.

Wanting to influence something doesn't always work as well as other people wanting to change what they have already because of you. Intent is way different and he was too on the nose about it.
>>
>>79722888
So your definition of horror that is "part of the human condition that is actually scary in real life" is violence and torture?
I just have to watch the news to get more dread than any of those garbage movies (American Psycho excluded, but it's not a horror movie. And Behind the Mask is comedy) can produce.
>>
>>79723334
No. The length one is willing to go for their own survival, our own voyeuristic tendencies even with horrid acts, Repressed urges and mental instability with those who have power over us, etc.
Also, "Martyrs garbage"? I disagree, and behind the Mask was a horror comedy, like CitW
>>
>>79723169
Yes, I would believe that too. Regardless, it's simply hipster, childish schlock due to its reservations and lack of gall. It's a fat, SJW tumblrina that attempts to complain the world into motion. It could've been a masterpiece if turned into an actual horror film at the end.
>>
>>79722809
But if they wanted something new, why didn't they make something new? They made a movie about how everyone else needs to change while relying on the same tropes its criticizing. I thought CitW was fun, but it's a far cry from a great horror movie.
>>
>>79723626

Whedon has made his career out of subverting topics. He doesn't know how to do anything else.
>>
>>79722208
What movie is this from?
>>
>>79723674
This is very true, and it's one of the reasons I never liked his work.
>>
>>79722982
I didn't care for it either. It started strong then I felt like it ended weakly. Like I understand what it wanted to do, but Babadook was neither scary nor fun. It felt pretentious.
>>
File: doc.gif (28KB, 220x162px) Image search: [Google]
doc.gif
28KB, 220x162px
>>79723691
Really?
>>
>>79723421
The only reason people like Martyrs is the ending (for some reason), which actually makes the whole Martyrs fan cult even more ridiculous.
And again, you just have to watch the TV or read objective reports about crimes, serial killers, torturers and the like to get horror centered on human deviancy. No need to watch a movie.
>mental instability with those who have power over us
What?

>>79723691
The Apartment in the Suburbs
>>
>>79722546
I think Cabin In The Woods is appealing because it's attempting to deconstruct the genre's cliches, which it does masterfully and still stays entertaining.

OP isn't saying it should be learned from because it in itself is a masterpiece, but instead because it calls out every notable horror trope.
>>
>>79723764
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, because I did say more than just "violence and brutality", and the media aspect you brought up ties to Behind the Mask.
>>
>>79722097
Sounds like you want horror movies that are too good to be horror movies the same way most critics do. There have been lots of good horror movies since this came out.
>>
>>79723674
Maybe we don't need something brand spanking new. Maybe we need to go way back to the 30's and just tell good stories with horror elements. Then work out way back up. I lthink be the Friday the 13th series but even I will admit it got old by the end, even when they were doing it ironically.
>>
>>79723803
as>>79723018
pointed out, it doesn't do much beyond point at the tropes. It doesn't improve upon them or avoid them, it just points them out. It feels rather lazy in that regard.
>>
File: We_Are_Still_Here.jpg (53KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
We_Are_Still_Here.jpg
53KB, 300x444px
>>79722097

This was bretty good
>>
>>79722097
>I thought it made evident truths about the genre that we had to address
Hardly, the most disappointing thing about the movie was that it ended up saying almost nothing, just jerking over the meta shit
>>
Bone Tomahawk was the best horror movie in recent years
>>
>>79723983
Don't listen to this man. Movie was ass
>>
>>79724127
Listen to this man, the movie was indeed ass
>>
>>79723169
>the filmmakers hoped it would create a framework within which all modern horror would fit, thinking it would encourage others to intentionally leave that fraamework
The movie wasn't talking to other movie creators though, it acknowledged several times that they keep doing the same shit because it works, it caters to the audience and it sells.
The "message" was that the audience needs to ask for better horror and show they care by supporting the ones that aren't cliche shit
>>
>>79723749
it's a meme dude how new are you?
>>
>>79724239
I don't know what's real or not anymore
>>
How did they manage to rip-off the basic premise of the SCP Foundation and Warehouse 13 without being bombarded by lawsuits?
>>
>>79724033
>>79724230
>>79722097
Oh and if you want good meta horror check out Resolution
>>
>>79722097
>expected redddit horror film to change horror films forever
>>
I think a good example is Feast.

It pointed out some cliches, but it was a legit scary movie in it's own right.
>>
>>79723942
I'd argue that the fact that a lot of the characters were changed into their cliches instead of starting that way was doing more than just 'pointing', but you're right.
>>
>>79724102
it had like 10 minutes of actual horror scenes in a 2 and a half hour movie, I don't think that actually counts
>>
>>79724480
But that was all it really did. "Hey check out these totally real people, now we turn them to horror cliche characters for the convenience of our story, really makes you think the cliches are always the same huh?"
>>
>>79724641
You're right. I still liked it though, even if it didn't set out what it wanted to do as well as it could.
>>
>>79722097
As someone that's been watching horror films since he was 8 years old and is now 30...
The Cabin In The Woods is SHIT.
It's so, so, so bad.
I went into this expecting the world because of the ratings and reviews... never been so disappointed in my life.
>>
>>79724665
You oughta watch Resolution, came in 2012 as well and does similar message way better
All while being different kinda horror movie
Fuck I should rewatch it as well, the mirror scene is fucking genius
>>
>>79724747
OP here, I forgot about that. That's actually another one that is really good.
>>
>>79722208
God, I hated this movie.
But I am really tired of self aware deconstructions so it may not have been for me.
>>
>>79724887
time for reconstruction
>>
>>79722208
>all these possible monster combinations
>DUDE WHAT IF THE MONSTERS WERE JUST ZOMBIES

fuck off
>>
>>79724922
Exactly, take lessons learned and build the genre better. Find out how to get around classic mistakes and cliches instead of rolling around in them like a pig in the mud squealing the "irony" defense.
>>
>>79723674

Whedon rarely subverts anything. That's what is humorous about it.

CiTW is a dumb horror flick about horror flicks he and Goddard thought up over a weekend. It was never meant to be anything more than it was.
>>
>>79724587
That's 10 good minutes more than any other recent horror movie, then
>>
>>79724971
You mean in the cabin itself? Then I agree, they should have been more creative. But that elevator scene is neat
>>
>>79722097
horror is a horrible genre that caters to 13 y/o girls and boys going on mall dates. they arent intersted in anything besides jump scares. you cant save the genre from the cash grabbing monster it has become.
>>
>>79725011
Don't get me wrong I loved bone tomahawk, but I loved it as a western. You can't go around telling people it's a great horror movie or they'll be pissed the first 2 hours is just a slow methodical western.
>>
>>79723018
>unironically defending memepool
please neck yourself you repulsive leddit scum
>>
>>79725093
I'm not telling people it's a horror movie. This thread only. But it does say something about recent horror movies
>>
>>79724480
>>79724665
That's fair, I'm not going to say it's a bad movie, but I just wasn't\am not a fan.
>>
>>79724328
Because secret underground facility holding several creatures trope has been done for decades.
>>
>>79725707
>[citation needed]
>>
>>79725809
Not him, but Resident Evil is the master of this.
>>
>>79725876
they might seem like splitting hairs but the Umbrella corporation has labs that CREATE the monsters while the SCP Foundation and the like only contain them, the monsters are stated to exist in the wild but the general populace doesn't see them/sees only a glimpse because the foundation is doing its job
>>
this was one of those flicks that pats itself on the back for pointing out the cliches of its genre without doing anything about them
it's kinda shitty, either try to make genuinely unique and scary horror movies or fuck off
>>
>>79725809
>Resident Evil: secret laboratory developing a supersoldier under a colonial mansion
>Resident Evil 2: secret research facility hidden under an industrial area
>Parasite Eve 2: secret underground facility hidden inside a mine near a small town in the Mojave desert.
>>
>>79725988
>this was one of those flicks that pats itself on the back
any movie that does just this alone is shit

Cabin in the Woods would've been fucking excellent if it was more about the inner workings of the facility. fuck the whole "sacrifices to appease the ancient evil audience" plotline which is basically a fuck-you to the viewer, just make it a standard grim fantasy:
> this is a world where monsters exist and this facility exists to make real horror movies. this is not a movie about that though, this is about how this facility works and who works there

and then we get a plot about corporate ladder climbing when your bosses can send actual supernatural murderer hitmen after you, being a special ops team sent to capture these fucking things, and the lowly "it's a job" janitor that has to clean up the remains.
>>
>>79725968
That's fair, I just wanted to point out how RE does it rather well.
>>
>>79726334
well yes they do but those are video games. OP's question limits itself to movies.
>>
>>79726218
It's been mentioned earlier, but SCP manages to do this very well, considering it's a wiki with numerous articles written by numerous different people.
>>
>>79722565
I like CitW well enough, but man, you really do sound like the most pedestrian cunt who rarely ever watches horror movies to begin with.

>the future of horror cannot exist without CitW
You're grotesquely overestimating this movie's actual reach. "Generic horror" is just as alive and well as it was prior to CitW, and exceptional horror movies had been made before it too. Not only did the horror genre not need CitW (meta horror was far from a new thing anyway), it has also moved on without giving much of a shit about its existence.
>>
File: CableGuySmile.gif (3MB, 320x215px) Image search: [Google]
CableGuySmile.gif
3MB, 320x215px
>it's a millennials try to defend the last twenty years of mediocre horror thread
Cabin in the woods was enjoyable as a half comedic movie based on popular horror with an interesting take, but it's barely a horror movie.
>Bu-but it's genius it perfectly deconstruc-
Shut up. Plenty of movies have been pointing out horror cliches for fucking decades.
Horror has been stagnant since the 90's
>BU-BUT muh it follows babadook vvitch rec insert other mediocre films here
Don't feel bad millennials, horror has been a garbage genre for a very long time, which is odd since it's so easy to write. If I had to point fingers for what I would claim is killing the genre, it would be the same thing killing every genre, executives refusing to do anything that doesn't have a history of trend stats to back it up.
>>
>>79726926
>Horror has been stagnant since the 90's
I disagree. I think the genre had been in a rut throughout the 90's, but then it moved on. You can't say that the average mainstream horror movie of today is essentially the same as the average mainstream horror movie of the 90's, which is what a true stagnation would imply.
>>
>>79724587
>seen violence is the only horror
leave
>>
>>79722898
It's not even horror. The monster isn't real, it's all in the main character's head.
>>
>>79722208

don't get me wrong, I really love this movie, but why the fuck would you ever have a button or system like that in place?
>>
>>79727726
How is that relevant?
>>
>>79727849
It's just generic psychological drama that imitates the visual style of horror movies. It's a scam to trick the critics into thinking a dull movie is something innovative.
>>
>>79727892
I have kind of a fuzzy memory, but doesn't the movie end with the woman feeding the Babadook in the cellar, implying that it actually is real?
>>
>>79722208
My question is. Why didn't the monsters attack each other?
>>
>>79722097
i feel like it had a great premise but it came out pretty underwhelming. It was like they found a way to make the craziest all out horror movie and they just ended up using zombies against the kids in the cabin, and everything else happened at headquarters. The only reason i wanted a sequel from this is for them to fix what theyve done and give it another shot.
>>
>>79728926
They are familiar with each other. Just like with real prisons, it's shown in the movie the cells where they're held are right next to each other
>>
>>79728351
It never directly interacts with anybody but her. Everything it supposedly does is really done by the main character. It's just a metaphor for grief.
>>
>>79729015

Prison riots usually have inmate casualties.
>>
>>79722097
They shouldn't have shown anything of the underground facility and the people there until later in the movie imo.
>>
>>79722380
>cosmic horror
Fear of the unknown you fucking pleb.

And they have to start with The King in Yellow, or even Can Such Things Be before they start with Lovecraft. Lovecraft isn't the start, he's the end of unknown horror.

Honestly Chambers shits all over Lovecraft, in literally every respect.
>>
>>79722097
Cabin in the woods sucks.
>>
File: Stop_liking.jpg (74KB, 680x473px) Image search: [Google]
Stop_liking.jpg
74KB, 680x473px
>>79722562
>>
>>79730562
YOU SUCK YOU FUCKING FAGGOT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU WHY CAN YOU NOT JUST ACCEPT THAT NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE SAME SHIT YOU LIKE! YOU'RE A FUCKING DOPPY DILDO. TAKE THAT TO THE MOTHERFUCKNIG BANK YOU LITTLE BITCH.
>>
They Look Like People is good? Do you recommend OP?
>>
File: 1274905364323.jpg (1MB, 1668x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1274905364323.jpg
1MB, 1668x1836px
Classic
>>
File: 1440672291202.jpg (12KB, 610x418px) Image search: [Google]
1440672291202.jpg
12KB, 610x418px
>>79731224

except
>the thing
>the descent

should be considered good horror films by everyone
>>
File: 1438637725734.png (279KB, 628x418px) Image search: [Google]
1438637725734.png
279KB, 628x418px
>>79731224
Are you actually implying that these flicks are associated with "Reddit"? I'm not a fan of all of them, but Halloween, The Thing, Jacob's Ladder, (Not really horror, but still) The Descent, and the Shining are all great.
>>
>>79722097
You're kidding, right?

Look, did Inglorious Basterds change violent war films? No. Same message: "the audience is complicit in the film's violence through their bloodlust." Both films pointed it out, both times the audience either didn't notice it or just didn't care.

Cabin in the Woods is fun, don't get me wrong. Most of the little homages were nod-and-wink, but so are Tarantino's constant references to other films ... a new style this does NOT make.

Seriously, compare the two films, they both have the same basic "point" and many of the same ways of getting there. How do you expect this to change horror cinema?
>>
>>79722508
Satire =/= Deconstruction
>>
>>79722441
but it lacks any originality whatsoever. it is just whedon using material from buffy AND from IPs that don't even belong to him. there isn't any credit given for the outside material either. wherein i was somewhat SOMEWHAT entertained, this movie should have absolutely no influence on horror. raimi did it better with his evil dead reboot: drag me to hell. and even that shouldn't influence the genre because much like citw, it barely even fits in the genre. actually dmth was far better horror than whedon's fat ass could ever hope to produce.
>>
>>79722380
True.

True Detectives season one was so very close to being a lovecraftian masterpiece and people ate it up.

Just those last couple scenes man, they fucked it.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.