[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone invited me to watch this with them later today,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 7

Someone invited me to watch this with them later today, is it any good?
>>
7/10
>>
>>79655837
not really, but the ending is bretty gud
>>
There is a very hot Mia's casting couch scene. Enjoy it.
>>
I refuse to see this film because they look so ridiculous on this poster.
>>
good quality rip when
>>
I watched it a few weeks ago, did I enjoy it /tv/?

Is it /our guy/?
>>
>>79655837
9.5/10 for me being completely honest
Hidden figures was a predictable 6.5/10
Moonlight was dissapointingly a 7/10 imo
And arrival was an 8/10
I still have to see Manchester and Hell or High Water
>>
>>79656219
Soubds lile dishonest jew shit
>>79656222
They look ridiculous on film too
>>79655837
It's a 3/10 no more.
>>
Would I still enjoy it if I watched it on mute?
>>
>>79656277
what about hacksaw?
>>
>>79655837
9/10

Story is badly structured
The romance doesn't feel real at the start
Pacing is all over the place

But it's fucking MAGICAL
>>
>>79656277
>Arrival 8/10
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

HOLY PLEB

THIS IS THE TYPE THAT PRAISES LA LA LAND

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAHAHHAGAGGAHAHAGGAHAGAGAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>79655837

Do you have to pay money to see it?

I think it's impressive how Frog and Goose learned to dance. Although I generally loathe Mandy Moore's choreography.
>>
>>79656296
Right right, havent watched that. Looks like its already out of my theaters,ill have to watch it online sadly
>>
>>79655837
Dull oscarbait
>>
>>79656327
Le
>>
>>79656339
There are hd streams available already.
>>
It's very meh. Gosling can't act for shit, and by this I mean that he has the same fucking expression in every scene of each movie he works in. Not a great singer too, but I'll give him that he actually learnt piano for this.
Pepe is all right, but she isn't a great singer either.
I didn't really like the songs, but I think it's the style the movie went for that doesn't click with me.
The ending is too fucking long, seriously, we didn't need that scene, it adds fucking nothing to the plot nor to the character development.

Overall 6/10, really didappointing.
>>
>>79656520
>The ending is too fucking long, seriously, we didn't need that scene, it adds fucking nothing to the plot nor to the character development.
it's literally the only redeeming thing about the movie. Remove that movie and you have shit movie.
>>
>>79655837
If you play your cards well maybe you'll get laid.
>>
>>79656591
>it's literally the only redeeming thing about the movie. Remove that movie and you have shit movie.
How can so many guys say this? it's 100% pointless. You get a, what? 10 minutes long song about a headcannon she has while listening to Gosling and that's it. If anything it's trying in a cheap way to get feels.
>hurr this is the life we would have if we had sticked together
Adds fucking nothing to the story. The movie would have been MUCH better if it ended right before the timeskip, leaving ambiguour whether they could actually stay together or not.
>>
It's shit.
>>
>>79656674

It was their secret song.

Everyone in Seb's heard the song, but only the two of them knew what the song meant.
>>
>>79656674
>headcannon she has
>the movie would have been much better if shitty idea
got it, you're a literal retard.
>>
>>79656699
so fucking what? it's blatant tear-jerking
>>
File: IMG_6876.jpg (23KB, 480x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6876.jpg
23KB, 480x243px
>mfw

its pretty darn gud OP
>>
>>79656711
Are you impliying that my opinion was a headcannon, faggot? They just needed to cut the last ten minutes of the movie, I didn't come up with anything.
>>
>>79656728

Well, if a man trying to get a woman to feel is tearjerking, so be it.
>>
>>79656767
I'm implying your opinion is shit especially since you couldn't even comprehend a pretty explicit concept. You're just further proving I'm right that you're retarded.

What does it matter if it's blatant tear-jerking? What would be justified tear jerking?
>>
>>79656802
What's there not to understand? this movie's plot is as simple as it gets.
>What does it matter if it's blatant tear-jerking?
The fact that the only reason that scene exists is to bait for tears, it adds nothing to the plot we don't know already. And no, I don't give a fuck whether the point was exactly to be tear-jerking or not. Leaving the ending open would have been a lot better.
>>
>>79656926
it's a good thing you're not involved in the production of movies.
>>
>>79656983
are you the director? because you sound particularly salty when I shit on the ending
>>
>>79657001
I agree, not only was the ending shit the entire thing was
>>
no you should just fuck him instead
>>
>>79656372
This
>>
>>79656332
No, she invited for me and said she will pay for it.
>>
>>79657206
>women paying

Now I know you're lying.
>>
File: IMG_5966.jpg (84KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5966.jpg
84KB, 1334x750px
Who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>79657372
both and neither
>>
>>79657372
Mia was an ungrateful bitch. Fuck her.
>>
>>79657411

No. She was in the wrong.

Just like Blue Valentine. She was in the wrong.
>>
>>79657411
Goose did literally nothing wrong
>>
If nothing else it will be praised for its use of colour for years to come.
>>
>>79657468
>>79657480
his error was getting wrong what she expected from him; and anyway not going to her play was a pretty fucking mistake (honestly why the fact didn't he text or call her, it's not like it's staged in the 80s).
but yeah, she was very very wrong.
>>
>>79655837
I wouldn't say good, I would say fabulous
>>
>>79656926
>leaving the ending open would have been a lot better

Ahh yes, the old "I'm too afraid of what people will think so I'll not finish the story in a cop out fade to black".

Your fear of commitment isn't a film's negative. Take it for what it is, or not at all.
>>
It's a good movie to watch with your Girlfriend.

.....and then regret because she leaves you to pursue her dreams
>>
They both got they wanted, but lost what they had that they didn't know they wanted.

There, the ending explained in one sentence.
>>
File: 6 for the effort.jpg (102KB, 680x966px) Image search: [Google]
6 for the effort.jpg
102KB, 680x966px
>>79657651
>I'm too afraid of what people will think so I'll not finish the story in a cop out fade to black
holy shit
>>
>>79655837
Great 10/10 movie OP, have fun!
>>
>>79657672
if you ask me they didn't really want to stay with the other that much
>>
>>79656372
this

it will get several oscars for the hollywood circlejerk and one year later barely anyone remembers it
>>
It's like going to a massage parlor with happy endings, only to get lukewarm water poured on you for two hours.

Not worth it.
>>
>>79657672
But they did know they wanted that other thing too. They got some of what they wanted but also lost some other stuff they wanted
>>
>>79656219
one man can dream
>>
>>79657459
>>79657468
considering he ended up living his dream, she was right, just went about it the wrong way.
>>
>>79655837
i fell asleep twice during the movie

the ending is nice tho
>>
>The story of Mia, an aspiring actress, and Sebastian, a dedicated jazz musician, struggling to make ends meet while pursuing their dreams in a city known for destroying hopes and breaking hearts. With modern day Los Angeles as the backdrop, this musical about everyday life explores what is more important: a once-in-a-lifetime love or the spotlight.
4/10 average queer shit
>>
>>79655837
It's not bad but it's not really worth it. As a film it kinda just jerks it own dick the whole time and as a theme for a musical it's been done better before.

It's well done, but I wouldn't purposefully watch it again.
>>
>>79655837
7/10
"I watched old movies and i know how they are build: the movie" was ok, not bad but nothing special.
>>
>>79655837
4/10
hope your getting sucked of after this
>>
>>79655837
It's an okay musical that is meant as a reference to the 30s - 50s MGM stuff. Honestly Pennies From Heaven already did it a lot better.
>>
>>79655837
I usually enjoy riding /tv/'s dick and being contrarian just for the lols
But between this and whiplash I think im turning gay for Chazelle
>>
8/10 at least. Some faults here and there but its overall a very well constructed movie.
>>
File: audrey_hepburn_biography_4a.jpg (41KB, 1024x735px) Image search: [Google]
audrey_hepburn_biography_4a.jpg
41KB, 1024x735px
>>79658813
8/10 AT BEST is more accurate.
>>
File: IMG_20170221_180650.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170221_180650.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
It's time guys, thanks for posting.
>>
>>79656272
>is it /ourguy/
You have to go back /pewdiepie/
>>
>>79655837

I highly enjoy musicals and this one disappointed me thoroughly.

I realized that fact when over halfway into the movie there hadn't been any musical sections for 45 minutes.

The ending montage was breddy gud except they decided it was just a dream, which kinda reinforced the whole "pursuing selfish dreams doesn't really pan out" theme that the movie accidentally and unintentionally portrayed.

Overall 5/10, I would have been upset had I paid money to see it
>>
>>79659515
How can one have opinions this shitty?
>>
>>79659576

Because I'm a grown adult who has seen idiots do exactly this crap with their lives and it ruins them.

It turns out when you neglect the important things in life for "fame, power and glory" you're just dumpstering yourself.
>>
>>79656326
I agree with the middle part of your post.
>>
Gene Kelly is rolling over in his grave/10
>>
>>79657372
shitty writing was
>>
>>79659641
the movie is shitty for presenting a different opinion and outcome than the one you experienced?
At the end of the day the message is that dreams can be achieved but sacrifices have to be made. If you dream being with your loved one you will maybe have to abandon your dream career
>>
>>79659788

No it's because Ryan gosling can't act and this "musical" lacks any actual musical segments in its middle third besides that weird technojazz.

The theme it portrays (the one I said) is not the intended theme that it was trying build for the whole movie.
>>
The ratings in this thread are incredible.
Do you people just give any movie you like an 8/10?
Are all movies you watch silly Hollywood shit like Adam Sandler flicks or Hangover so that in comparison this seems deserving of such a rating?

It's a badly written movie with dull performances and forgettable songs. Its redeeming factors lie in referncing old Hollywood movies and the fact that this kind of film (shallow feelgood housewife musicals) just don't get made anymore, at least not with big stars like Gosling. One of the biggest downfalls of the film however is the casting of celebrity actors instead of people who are actually capable of dancing and singing. Normally in those old films one would awe at the actors' mastery of their bodies in synchronized dancing, which doesn't work here because the two stars simply cannot dance well enough to be even remotely synchronized.

If you want to see a throwback to old Hollywood with singing and dancing, cowboys and roman epics done right, watch Hail Caesar.

La La Land: 3/10
Hail Caesar: 6/10
>>
>>79659903
>No it's because Ryan gosling
Acting doesn't have to be flashy, he had the charisma necessary for the character

>lacks any actual musical segments in its middle third besides that weird technojazz
The lack of magical camera movements,color and music pieces are done in purpose to reflect the relationship between Seb and Mia. Its better to have few nusical numbers with purpose than a lot that dont make sense. The technojazz is purposefully generic and is a big plot point (Has Seb abandoned his dream?)

>The theme it portrays (the one I said) is not the intended theme that it was trying build for the whole movie.
So you decide what theme the movie should have?
>>
>>79655837
I liked it a lot and I am not even a fan of musical. It was a little slow in the middle section, but otherwise it was really good. From the visual to the music to the acting. I'll give it a 9/10
>>
Castaway-tier bullshit ending. I don't give a fuck about artistic value or any other bullshit like that in a movie like this, I want my definition of a happy ending. The "what could've been" number at the end just rubbed salt in the wound. Fuck Mia.
>>
>>79660019
A 9 out of 10?
That's a lot, man!
Do you really think "really good" but "slow in the middle section" merits such a rating? Do you really think this film is such an epic accomplishment that it deserves a 9 out of 10?

I can't think of many films that I have given that rating personally, only Ex Drummer (2007) comes to mind spontaneously and that one really is an accomplishment.

Same goes for
>>79656277
>>79656326
>>79657707
>>79658813

I want to know from all of you what other films you have rated 9/10 or higher because I have the feeling that either you don't watch enough films or just give away enormously high ratings to everything you mildly enjoy.
>>
>>79660314
Only to Whiplash have i ever given such a high score.
>>
>>79655837
6/10
nearly fell asleep during planetarium dance number
characters are dank
this movie will make people cringe in 5 years once the novelty wears thin
>>
>>79655837
Watch moonlight instead. It's way better and actually worth the money you pay for admission.
La La Land is another dime a dozen movie with nothing new to offer.
>>
>>79660562
>falls asleep In theater
>le dank
>le cringe

Opinion discarded
>>
>>79659999
>wasting quads with a shitty opinion
>>
>>79660638
he probably meant "blank" not dank
and he would be right
>>
>>79659967
underrated
>>
>>79655837
8/10, thoroughly enjoyable.
>>
>>79655837
Its a good cunt tease. It is all lovey dovey musical stuff but its plot does good at seeming pridefull vs arrogant which most musicals I see dont know how ridiculous and tryhard they are like rent. Great visuals kinda hollywood 50s retro theme. The end brings you back to reality in kind of a disappointing way.
>>
>>79659967

It felt alot like a Hallmark movie on steroids.
>>
Will anyone remember this movie by this time next year?
>>
>>79661441
hopefully not
>>
>>79660314
You are right. I downgraded it to 8/10
>>
It's worth watching purely for the first 5 minutes, and the last 10/15 mins too
>>
>>79662110
aka only the first 5 and last 15 minutes are worth watching
>>
>>79656339
too bad man. Its that kind of movie that you had to watch it in the theater
>>
>>79660314
People tend to have inflated ratings when they first get to films
>>
>>79655837
Meh. It's okay. Gosling and Stone are great. But the characters they play are as bland as it gets.
Duality of the annoying sort.
>>
>>79655837
>>79663842 <- THIS.

It's also generally too much of a mixed bag:
Too few musical numbers for a musical film, too many for a normal feature film.
Too melodramatic for comedy, too lighthearted for melodrama.
Some shots are set up beautifully while others are really plain.
Too predictable to be exciting and/or novel, to unpredictable to be a pure schlockfest.
Et cetera et cetera.

It might be a 7/10 for a 2016 movie but it will most likely be looked back upon as a 5/10.
>>
>>79655837

It will win Best Picture at the Oscars.
>>
bumping for the harsch truth that this is a 4/10 movie
>>
>>79664091
I second that opinion. My thoughts exactly.
>>
The more I think on the film the less I like it, but in the moment it's great.

>I love that it's a musical but by and large the songs aren't great
>The first two numbers are bad and use too many long-shot tricks to mask bad choreography
>Middle section where they fall in love is fantastic
>Seb's take on jazz is pure fedora nonsense, and Chazelle seems to endorse it. Mia is an old movie nerd that somehow never saw Rebel Without a Cause is pure plot contrivance, and takes away too much of Mia's character to make Seb the driving force of the relationship
>John Legend is a distracting actor and his song is terrible. I have no idea if we're meant to think it's a good song but bad for Seb, a bad song period, or a good song that Mia likes more than Seb's "real" music.
>I never buy their breakup since we miss everything between puppy love and living together
>picks up towards the end, dream is amazing
>deus ex casting agent was awful writing
>bittersweet ending doesn't really work since again, I never saw them as anything but a small fling before bigger relationships
>>
>>79666076
>>John Legend is a distracting actor and his song is terrible. I have no idea if we're meant to think it's a good song but bad for Seb, a bad song period, or a good song that Mia likes more than Seb's "real" music.

The song is supposed to be terrible.

The whole John Legend part of the film is supposed to show that "making it" in LA often involves selling out, not being true to yourself, and Mia thinks he should stay true to his self and his dreams (even though she wants him to make more money).

Honestly, the biggest plot hole in the movie is when he's making more money, but a woman values artistic integrity over money. Although I think he was also gone a lot, so not having his constant attention was probably also a dealbreaker.
>>
Haven't seen this movie is that Los Angeles in the background is that why it's called L.A L.A land?
>>
>>79666917

It's set in Los Angeles, it's about Los Angeles, and La La Land is a common nickname for LA.

>Many movie stars live in Los Angeles. The city is sometimes called Tinseltown. This nickname comes from the shiny, bright and often unreal nature of Hollywood and the movie industry. Another nickname for Los Angeles is La-La Land, using the first letters of Los and Angeles.
>>
One of the worst things I had ever seen, made me regret a little that i somehow learned to let go of hatred of frustration because i could only harness enough of it's power to shit on this movie for a couple of days.
>>
>>79666790
>Honestly, the biggest plot hole in the movie is when he's making more money, but a woman values artistic integrity over money
/tv/ everyone
>>
>>79667693

Oh yeah. Because modern women are so well-known for being loyal to starving artists, and not just trading up to any guy who makes $100 more a week.

It's not women's fault. They have a genetic imperative to prioritize resources for the well-being of their offspring.

But don't fucking pretend for one second that women care more about integrity than money.

Or do you think Melania Trump loves Trump for his "integrity" you fucking SJW?
>>
>>79667869
You could be right about women, but for this to be your feeling about the character is just absolutely pleb and unforgivable.

Stone's character literally works a shit job for 6 years while trying to be an actress and she cares for art. There's no indication of selfishness in her character. There's plenty of indication that she would be fine with financial suffering so that her dreams and the dreams of her boyfriend could become real.

You can hate women all you want but for you to read a film through your inflexible viewpoint that women will always act this or that way is just insufferably plebeian.
>>
>>79655837
It's fine but the tone is at odd with its self at times, if you are without joy you probably won't like it
>>
>>79655837
It's alright.
>>
>>79658469
Oh come on. He had a steady income thanks to playing in John Legend's group. And he still seemed to have a good time playing with the band. Even if doing all the promotion was annoying, at least he was making money. Money that he could then use to buy his dream club.
>>
>>79656277
Just finished watching Hacksaw Ridge
7.5/10
So that means
La la land>Arrival> Hacksaw Ridge>Moonlight>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hidden Figures

I think hidden figures was honestly lower than the 6.5 i originally gave it
>>
it was pretty average desu
>>
>>79667633
this

How can anyone the movie is great is beyond me. It's fucking shit from start to end you could exactly predict how would the movie would turn the second Gosling started to have success with his band.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.