[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no siege equipment at all. No ladders, towers, catapults,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 7

>no siege equipment at all. No ladders, towers, catapults, rams, sappers, anything.
>they just charge in
>"our men are too close to the walls"

So what was the plan here in the first place? Were they just going to stare them down?

This has bothered me for years
>>
>>79582133
It did last 10 years though
>>
>>79582133
first of all it's not really a historical war so no one knows if it even happened.

but even in the myth the walls were so strong and they didn't have the siege equipment nessecary to break it which is why they needed the horse.
>>
they got lazy and autoresolved without building equipment first

big mistake
>>
>>79582275
In the movie it only lasts for three weeks though
>>
>>79582324
>but even in the myth the walls were so strong and they didn't have the siege equipment nessecary to break it
I get that part, but in the movie they didn't even try. Like it's one thing to have inadequate equipment, it's another to bring absolutely nothing
>>
>>79582133
keep in mind it's set like 700 years before the events of 300, it was ancient to the ancient greeks. Greeks back then were basically grubby coastal raiders, sure they should have had ladders but their seige technology was extremely limited.
>>
>>79582133
What movie is this from? Troy?
>>
>>79582133
It was a ruse to make Troy complacent.
Next thing they see a random wooden sign of defeat going past their gates and get wrecked.
>>
File: 3mkfz.jpg (49KB, 480x324px) Image search: [Google]
3mkfz.jpg
49KB, 480x324px
>>79582364
Should have brought torches, really.
>>
>>79582450
That is the title clearly visible in the filename, yes.
>>
they could have carried hooks on long ropes to scale the walls
>>
>>79582432
Hollywood was probably just too lazy to put them in

copypasting cgi guys running is probably easier
>>
>>79582513
you try scaling walls while an army rains arrows down upon you.
>>
File: 1487490937129.png (704KB, 500x653px) Image search: [Google]
1487490937129.png
704KB, 500x653px
>>79582513
look how high those walls are, you try throwing a hook and rope strong enough to hold several adult men on it that high
>>
>>79582432
the movie takes place in the last year of the war, they had 9 years of crazy plans, also isn't this supposedly like the 2nd to last story in the whole arc that the author had. so there are probably like a dozen other stories about what happened during this war
>>
>>79583180
just checked, nope. apparently not.
>>
>>79582133
Alexander was the first to use siege equipment. Prior to this sieges were literally burning crops/stealing cattle until the defenders surrender. The Trojan war lasted ten years by the way. The Iliad is also filled with scenes of cattle theft.
>>
>>79582133
Well there's a couple of likely possibilities

1. Either they hoped to inflict enough casualties on the men outside the walls that the city would surrender

or

2. I recall reading findings that the walls of Troy were actually much smaller and slanted at an angle as well so that it was quite possible for one to scale them. Of course one could still be pushed back by the defenders but one didn't necessarily need siege equipment to scale the walls as a result.
>>
>>79582133
The way sieges worked was not allowing food and water inside. Read this for an example of a real tactic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia
>>
>>79582444
Exactly. And also, the walls were likely 10ft high, an 2ft thick.
Troy has been found, but the wall is gone, meaning it wasn't anything close to legend.
>>
>fighting for decades over some overrated cunt
Is Iliad the least manly poem ever written?
>>
>>79583277
>>79583302
Damn dude we really were retarded back then
>>
>>79583294
In those says, you starved them out. The ring of men around the walls kept people from bringing food in, and kept the city from sending foragers out.

Attacking walls is suicidal.
>>
>>79583349
>>fighting for decades over some overrated cunt
That was just a pretext though really. Once you have a hostile state nearby that embarrasses your royal family you can't very well let bygones be bygones
>>
I read somewhere that 99% of the warfare between greek polis states consisted of just meeting in a field and having a go at it until one side surrenders, which usually happened as soon as one side's line broke.

They simply didn't have the manpower to continue fighting and wiping out all men of one side would lead to an economic collapse which would not be beneficial to the victor either.

So based on that I'm assuming the greeks showed up, were completely baffled by the fact that Troy-guys didn't want to come out of the city to fight them so they literally waited there for 10 years doing nothing until there was a breakthrough.
>>
>>79583277
good to know, Also that does lead to the question, how the fuck does Troy last 10 years, when in modern history most places couldn't last 4 yearr under seige.
>>
>>79583302
alesia is totaly different battle gauls were way more in that fortress than the romans
ofc the romans werent going to assault that fortress
>>
File: rome faces.png (547KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
rome faces.png
547KB, 800x450px
>>79582133
Is this Rome 2: Total War?
>>
>>79583437
Because the city wasn't fully encircled. The Greeks didn't have the manpower for it. They would raid nearby villages and allied towns, but retreat to their coastal camp instead of setting up a perimeter.

A lard portion of the Iliad is about Achilles/Ajax/other Greek heroes raiding allied towns.
>>
>>79583506
>>79583437
To add to this a similar thing happened in the first Peloponnesian war between Athens and Sparta. Athens had walls, and the rural population of Attica retreated to Athens fearing the Spartan army by the orders of Pericles. There they sat as Sparta burned their crops. The crops here were vines which took years to grow, but still the population sat inside. A plague broke out however and the Athenians called for terms after Pericles died.
>>
>one of the only movies where Sean Bean doesn't die
>he's playing Odysseus

well atleast he had an interesting journey home to Ithaca
>>
>>79583608
>comes home
>kills all the suitors

Most uncucked man in history.
>>
>>79582444
>unable to create siege equipment
>but able to create giant horse

plot hole in your brain
>>
>>79583661
>complex machinery
>vs
>oversized basket
hmmmm
>>
>>79583680
>>complex machinery
A basic siege tower is literally just stairs, platforms, and outer walls on wheels.
>>
>>79583637
Classical stories
>comes home after 10 years
>kills all the suitors, wife was loyal

Modern movies
>she was lonely while you were gone for that week
>you can't blame her for cheating on you and getting pregnant

No wonder they refuse to teach the classics.
>>
>>79583716
The Greeks didn't use wheels on mass these days. Things were transported by boat not by road.
>>
>>79583718
>Classical story
>comes home after 10 years and fucking everything he could on the way
>meanwhile the woman was supposed to stay loyal

Nah fuck them
>>
>>79583756
Regardless, I'm sure they understood what a wheel was and how it could be used
>>
>>79583770
t. cuck
>>
>>79583770
He didnt fuck everything he could ffs
>>
>>79583789
Well, he's wrong about classics but has kind of a point. Monogamy is a two way street.
If she stays loyal, so should the man. If she isn't loyal, then he has no reason to be either.
>>
>>79583770
His love fed his will to come home to his wife, even after his fucking after TEN YEARS. He could be free, king in other lands, more powerful than on his home. But he still wanted to be back with his hoe.
What could possibly be her excuse, mr cuck?
>>
>>79583381
No shit, except the OP specifically asked why they were attacking the walls and so people itt are offering possible reasons.
>>
>>79583782
First of all consider the terrain. Asian minor is rocky and hard with almost no trees. Consider also the difficulty of constructing a siege tower. Consider also how difficult it would be to move it into place. Consider also that the walls of Troy weren't that tall, and people could simply use ladders.

However, why risk your life when you could raid the countryside for cattle? The Greeks weren't idiots buddy. Many were there to simply get wealthy. After 10 years of raiding Troy was attacked and sacked. There probably was no horse, but we cannot know. More likely it was a traitor inside who opened the gates and let the Greek army in.
>>
>>79583770
He was seduced by a goddess and a nymph using magic. I can' call that cheating, but you male feminists have your own agenda.
>>
>>79583799
the only thing he didn't fuck were men and animals

he fucked Circe, he fucked Kalypso and I am sure I am forgetting someone else
>>
>>79583825
Circe and Calypso were not women. They were gods.
>>
>>79582133

the plan was to pray to their gods and goddesses to strike down their blasphemous enemies. it was a good plan. but the enemy also prayed. and they had more nubile virgins.
>>
>>79583825
>Monogamy is a two way street.
>If she stays loyal, so should the man. If she isn't loyal, then he has no reason to be either.
That's modern thinking you are applying though. Like, from the past 20 years recent dude.
And that's retarded.
>>
>>79583825
Lol
>>
>/teevee/ discussing siege strategy

Most interesting thread on the board at the moment famp
>>
>>79583905
This is baby discussion compared to the ones that takes place in you-know-were.
>>
>>79583888
>>79583825

Monogamy is an obsolete concept.
>>
>>79583924
>you-know-were
ah yes, voldemortchan.com
>>
>>79583855
ah yes, the common excuse together with "they put something in my drink"
>>
>>79583947
Then why you feel the need to twist it, so it fits today's standards?

Checkmate nuboy
>>
>>79583881
this. he didnt bother fucking normal women
>>
>>79583881
No, former was a sorceress later was a nymph.
>>
File: seriously though.jpg (36KB, 197x203px) Image search: [Google]
seriously though.jpg
36KB, 197x203px
>>79582133
I miss the Sword&Sandals/Historical Epics revival of the early 2000's.
Troy, The Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, King Arthur (all though kinda shitty) The Last Samurai, Alexander. The Patriot.

Just so fucking sick of capeshit, I miss sword&shieldshit
>>
>>79583853
>However, why risk your life when you could raid the countryside for cattle?
Because you'll be there for 10 years is why. The longer a siege persists the more supplies you need to ship out to the soldiers, the more the soldiers become restless, the more chances diseases/weather/accidents take their lives, and the more likelihood a relief force arrives to reinforce the garrison or kill the attackers. In Troy's case a neighboring kingdom could come and relieve the siege for political favours.
Sieges are absolutely awful for everyone involved, by the medieval period most defenders would either surrender and allow the attackers in peaceful under the assumption they would go unharmed, or they would be stormed under the assumption that the attackers could loot and rape as much as they want for having to undergo a bloody assault. Starving out a city is one of the more desperate tactics.

Not to mention the entire army is just sitting there, tied up for years instead of moving on other objectives.
>>79583888
>That's modern thinking you are applying though. Like, from the past 20 years recent dude.
No I'm not, you are the one applying modern thinking. Men in a patriarchy were much more protective of their wives, sisters, and daughters, and old societies and cities were much smaller so people were more familiar with each other. A woman with multiple liaisons were worth a lot less in marriage markets, and they needed marriage to survive, so most families were careful to protect their chastity, whether they wanted it or not.
>>79583947
Monogamy is civilization.
>>
>>79584013
Goddesses seduce him, and you call it an excuse.
I hope you are in special ed.
>>
>>79584143
>Starving out a city is the most common tactic.
Usually just a month or two.
Read moar.
>>
>>79584147
>obvious sarcastic post equating it to day after's rape accusation
>still misses it

they didn't do a good job with you in special ed.
>>
>>79584066

your reply to my post confused me until i realized you thought i was the anon you were talking with. i wasn't the anon you replied to. i just joined your conversation with that one post.

i believe friends-with-benefits is a more logical concept. sex is just a biological need like eating. why shackle yourself to only one sexual partner? it's like having meals with only one person for the rest of your life. it's illogical. in the past there may have been a need for monogamy but today it's obsolete and not needed anymore.
>>
>>79583277
>Alexander was the first to use siege equipment
nope. Sieges were an important feature of warfare in the classical period, the Peleponnesian War in particular
>>
>>79584189
Name one example.

This is something my university teacher said. I highly doubt you are correct.
>>
>>79583410
The classical Greeks are not the same as the Mycenaean Greeks. The Poleis did not really exist until 400 years after the Trojan War
>>
>Loyal Penelope and not so loyal Odysseus celebrate their unbreakable marriage. How come that Odysseus’ sexual adventures did not break their marriage? First, he never slept with women. Calypso is a goddess, Circe is a nymph. Remember Virgin Mary, she was a woman of a God but she was innocent. Second, Odysseus never meant to cheat. He was forced to be with Calypso, and he had to be with Circe just in order to survive and save his people. I don’t think it was really cheating.

CUNY interpretation.
Not cheating, he was raped.
>>
>>79584143

You can have a civilization with polygamy. I prefer a friendswithbenefitsgamy.
>>
>>79584143
>A woman with multiple liaisons were worth a lot less in marriage markets, and they needed marriage to survive, so most families were careful to protect their chastity, whether they wanted it or not.
What's that has to do with what I'm saying dude
>>
>>79584295
I don't want to support your kids. Stay away from my woman or I will kill you.

Suddenly, monogamy.
Cheating wouldn't exist if it was still allowed to murder adulterers.
>>
>>79584181
You may be right in the textual analysis of societies and the contemporary view on partnership. Maybe.
On a biological level, jealousy is a real life emotion that is not going to magically "go away" even on the most mentally advanced and consented fuck-what-you-want society.

Monogamy will be always need it.... for some people.
>>
>>79584411
You have to be retarded to think that.
>>
>>79584181
>it's like having meals with only one person for the rest of your life
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>79584485
>wouldn't exist
interpret as
>would become very rare

If you are likely to be murdered if caught, it just isn't as interesting.
>>
>>79584411

I will never be friends with you or your ilk therefore you will never have my benefits.

Adultery and cheating wouldn't exist if there's no monogamy.
>>
>>79584630
So your view is to eliminate families so people won't be tempted to betray them?
>>
>>79584552

So do you think cheating was less common in the past? Because of the threat of violence??

I'm pretty sure they cheated the same amount or more, it was just more intense because the consequences of being caught were more extreme
>>
>>79584491

You can't eat in restaurant and at work if they don't allow eating in offices then you'll have to eat in toilet because there are other people eating in cafeteria.

Eating in restaurants is normal. Just like sex orgies is normal.

>>79584552

There's nothing to catch and murder if adultery and cheating does not exist because monogamy does not exist.
>>
>>79582133
>So what was the plan here in the first place
they ran out of wooden horses and didnt know what to do
>>
File: assyriantower.png (86KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
assyriantower.png
86KB, 275x183px
>>79584213
Not him, but siege towers were ancient, see pic.
>>
>>79584725
>implying single parents in friendswithbenefitsgamy cannot raise family
>implying divorced couples are monogamous to their ex
>implying divorced couples who are not monogamous to their ex and marry other people are eliminating their kids and betraying their families

obsolete. you.
>>
>>79584143
>Not to mention the entire army is just sitting there, tied up for years instead of moving on other objectives.

There weren't any other objectives there though.

>The longer a siege persists the more supplies you need to ship out to the soldiers

That's what raiding and controlling the countryside is for.
>>
>>79584741
Yes, I do believe that.

The modern, isolated society is new with large cities. In the past, the vast majority of people lived in small communities where everyone sees everything. I don't know how to explain it to you, unless you have spent time in the third world.

It is incredibly likely an adulterer would be caught within the first few meetings. You are picturing the situation thru a lens of being able to go places where no one knows you, or you can sneak into your gf's house without witnesses, etc. Human society wasn't like that before, and still isn't in the majority of the world.
>>
File: 15-Lachish-battering-ram.jpg (87KB, 570x288px) Image search: [Google]
15-Lachish-battering-ram.jpg
87KB, 570x288px
>>79584786
Posted a thumbnail like a retard, here's a ram.
>>
>>79584725

Adultery isn't really betraying anyone other than the spouse m8
>>
>>79584868
>That's what raiding and controlling the countryside is for.

No, idiot. That's what taxes are for.
>>
>>79584845

Are you joking? Or drunk?

>>implying single parents in friendswithbenefitsgamy cannot raise family

There is no family. You fucked somebody, they got pregnant, you have no responsibility in your society since no one knows the father. Ultimately, society has to support and raise the kid.

>>implying divorced couples are monogamous to their ex

??? no clue what your point is. In a divorce, the child is assigned to one of the parent to raise, with or without a remarriage. The family is broken and rearranged.

I hope you aren't comparing you fuckpal of the moment to a stepparent.
>>
>>79584754
Wtf with the food analogies you retard fuckhead I could eat for the whole fucking day but as much as I want to I can't fuck for more than two fucking hours what's your fucking point eating is not the same as fucking, retard.
>>
>>79584923
I would argue it is a betrayal of everyone in the family. The consequences of the act affect all of them.
>>
>>79584845
>implying single parents in friendswithbenefitsgamy cannot raise family
Single parents can raise families. What about new families? So what, every time you want a kid, you will have to go to a fertility lab to jam magic juice in your girl. That way she will have twins and you can both have one! Or do you flip a coin or something?
>>
>>79583770
He was kind of fored into that, and did not looked for that. He was not compelled by Nausicaa and nothing happened.
He fucked life-saving suggestions out of Circe
Also, Calypso proposed him sto stay with her forever and become immortal.. he told her to fuck off, he preferred his wife even if she would get older and then both would die.
>>
>>79585056
>The consequences of the act affect all of them.

That's not betrayal though.
>>
>>79584845
>>implying single parents in friendswithbenefitsgamy cannot raise family

It doesn't work well for the black community, does it? Babydaddy /= father.
>>
>>79585022
>muh bible-defined-and-approved family
>>
@79585154
Pedantic = boring = no (You)s.

Please change.
The Mgmt
>>
Should I watch Troy?
>>
>>79585265
I like it. Dunno why it gets so much hate.
>>
>>79583558
you just cited a seige that didn't last a year for proof of one that lasted 10.
>>
>>79585221
>>79585221
>>79585221
>>79585221

KEK EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS MONG >>79585221
>>79585221
NOT KNOWING HOW TO QUOTE>>79585221
>>79585221
LOOK KEK>>79585221
>>79585221
>>79585221
>>79585221
>>
>>79585210
There are thousands of monogamous species.
Most have never read the Bible.
What they usually have in common is very high costs to raise young, requiring 2 committed parents to do the job.

Google is your friend.

BTW, even if no one had a boyfriend or husband, you would still be a virgin. Polygamy, polyamoury, etc is a loser delusion.
>>
>>79585295
The first First Peloponnesian War lasted 15 years.
>>
>>79585309
>Polygamy, polyamoury, etc is a loser delusion.
I'm starting to believe in this. It's like they think "Heh, why do I need ONE girl to love for life, she won't do the same! May as well keep it open for both so none of us will be cheating each other!"
I think it's also very sad not feeling the emotion of trusting in your partner.
>>
Why do most threads on this board devolve into /r9k/ and /pol/?
>>
>>79585210
>le christianity did it so it has no bearing in anything

Dooblee kek, it transcends Homo sapiens.
>>
>>79583302
The scale of the siege work and engineering at Alesia is absolutely mind blowing but I would not call it a typical siege by any standard.
>>
>>79585444
>>79585309
Polyamoury always seems to be a really fat chick with a couple of ugly, acne ridden betas. The chick always seems to turn into a stuck up bitch, despite weighing 140kg.
>>
Greeks didn't really use siege equipment until the Persians exposed them to it. And even then it was pretty minor.
>>
>>79585444
it's hilarious how supposedly peace loving leftists are advocating for polygamy, when it's a one-way ticket to constant warfrare and civilizational stagnation.
>>
>>79585509
It was beyond the norm, yes. I posted it as an example of "starve them, don't charge walls" tactics. Also, Alesia demonstrates that defensive walls are often wood and moats, not 12ft thick stone.
>>
>>79585446
This is more /his/. If /pol/ and /r9k/ had conquered this thread they'd be clamining the trojan war was a jewish conspiracy and Troy was literally white genocide for having a black guy in the background in 1 scene
>>
>>79585446
Path of least resistance. Why is it that /pol/ survives the purging and /r9k/ existed again?

We can't even get /film/. Or /cel/.
>>
>>79585587
the most prominent polygamous societies in the world today are right-wing, not left wing. Saudi Arabia, mormons, african tribalism, etc. are undoubtedly conservative societies

left-wing polygamy is extremely rare.
>>
>>79585641
Right wing polygamy involves having a man of the household taking care of several women, left wing polygamy is just an orgy fuck fest. For example hippies in the 60s and 70s all fucked each other regardless of sex and the romans had massive orgies involving slaves and animals once their society devolved into bread and circuses.
>>
>>79583437
>>79583506
>>79583558
There's also the fact that it's essentially a myth
>>
>>79585587
The ultimate goal of the Left is total freedom, thru alienation of the individual. The theory is that people are constrained by organizations and society, and those constraints must be removed at all costs.

This includes removing
nationality
religion
race and tribal bonds
family (monogamy, family raising children instead of the state)
societal norms

Removal of societal norms include normalization of everything: homosexuality, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc., etc., and removal of responsibility, character, other self-enforced limits.
>>
>>79585641
How is African tribalism in any way right wing? Seriously?
>>
>>79585778
there is archeologically evidence for it
>>
>>79582133
>be under seige by a larger enemy army
>sally forth and defend the front of the walls instead of behind them

Early Hellenistic warfare was retarded. It only got better once the Persians attacked the Greeks
>>
>>79585838
because niggers hate fags
>>
>>79585265
Nah, it's pretty bad. Just read the Illiad or some kind of summary of it if you're too lazy.
>>
>>79585861
Then why is AIDS worst in Africa, where there are no intravenous drugs?

I say they are Left wing because they are black.
>>
>>79585846
Yeah but 90% of what Homer wrote is clearly either hugely hyperbolic or straight up untrue. You know there's a reason we call it a legend, right?
>>
>>79585924
Troy was found.
The Trojan War was verified.
They identified many of the other places mentioned.
Some of the people actually existed.
>>
>>79586008
Again, most of the Illiad is quite clearly a fictionalised version of the events. Also, source?
>>
>>79585838
Communal ownership of land and equipment, work as you wish, sharing of resources. That sounds like pinko commies to me!
>>
>>79585641
>left/right wing polygamy
you're missing the point fampai. any society that allows one man to have a harem will end up with top men getting all the pussy, while the majority of guys are left in perpetual sexual frustration.

civilization thrives when men's sex drive can be channeled into building it. in a society with polygamy men will be preoccupied with violence to attain pussy, which means the only way to perpetuate a polygamous society is to send those men to war, where they take the women from a foreign land by force or die trying.

>>79585800
>The ultimate goal of the Left is total freedom, thru alienation of the individual
which is why I'm convinced leftists are retarded. alienation of an individual is the first step to the subjugation of that individual, which is the opposite of freedom.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.