[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did they get away with naming the LOTR sequel the Two Towers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: the-two-towers-best-moments.gif (40KB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
the-two-towers-best-moments.gif
40KB, 620x300px
How did they get away with naming the LOTR sequel the Two Towers when 911 was only a few months prior?
>>
>>79496305
well you see the people in charge bet their money on people not being fucking retarded
>>
twitter and tumblr and other outrage soap boxes didn't exist yet
>>
>>79496305

Because it was the direct adaptation of a book written in 1954 you mong
>>
>>79496305
I agree. The "Rise of Isengard" would be so much better movie title.
>>
>>79497468

>t.plebian

Isengard doesn't rise at all during the movie, its power over Rohan gets dismantled piece by piece
>>
>>79496305
TOO SOON JACKSON
>>
>>79496305
wtf I hate LOTR now!
>>
RIP KLERCK
>>
What were the Two Towers anyway? They never really explain or show them.
>>
>>79498735

In the books they are Orthanc and Minas Morgul although the films MM is changed to Bard-dur
>>
>>79497549
rohan strikes back?
>>
>>79498927
>>79497468

'The Treason of Isengard' was perfect
>>
>>79498735
Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul.
Minas being an Elvish word for tower.
>>
>>79499030
Ok Minas Tiirith is where the King that was all fucked up lived, right? Whats the fuck is Minas Morgul?
>>
File: J.R.R._Tolkien_-_The_Two_Towers.jpg (17KB, 210x300px) Image search: [Google]
J.R.R._Tolkien_-_The_Two_Towers.jpg
17KB, 210x300px
>>79499030
No. It's Minas Morgul and Isenguard. Minas Morgul being the tower of the moon and Isenguard being the other.

Tower on the right is obviously Isenguard. Which Saruman used to observe the stars. The Two Towers is used to express the relationship between Isenguard and Mordor.
>>
>>79499115
that was that evil green tower that all the orcs and that nazgul come out of in return of the king and then that green laser beam shoots into the sky for some reason
>>
>early 2003
>sick in bed with god knows what, just absolutely laid out
>dad comes in with a plastic bag, he's excited
>"I've got something that'll cheer you up ... just snagged you a copy of TTT!"
>automatically assume he means the two towers
>beyond elated, can't even imagine how he got his hands on it before it came out on DVD
>open the bag
>it's Tora! Tora! Tora!

In retrospect, I love my dad
>>
because the book was written before anyone even thought up the world trade centers
>>
>>79499241
Stupid
>>
>>79498735
"And the Union of the Two Towers!"
>>
>>79497418
There were people bitching about it though.
>>
>>79497468
You mean "The Ring Awakens" or "The Last Nazgul"
>>
>>79497468
>The Lord of the Rings
>The Lord of the Rings: Saruman Rises
>The Lord of the Rings: The Sword of Kings
>The Lord of the Rings: Mount Doom
Prequels
>The Lord of the Rings Saga: An Unexpected Journey
>The Lord of the Rings Saga: The Hobbit
>The Lord of the Rings Saga: The One Ring Rises
>The Lord of the Rings Saga: The Dragon Rises
>The Lord of the Rings Saga: There and Back Again
>The Lord of the Rings Saga Origins: The Silmarillion
>The Lord of the Rings Saga Origins: Sauron Rises
This is how Hollywood would milk it and you know it.
>>
>>79499549
>2017
>still no remake with all female fellowship of the ring

why is the world so sexist?
>>
>>79499771
Women can't comprehend friendship
>>
File: 342790.jpg (174KB, 600x696px) Image search: [Google]
342790.jpg
174KB, 600x696px
>>79499771
>>79499902
Stop. Autistic women hating is not healthy
>>
File: The Anger of the Mountain.jpg (134KB, 809x1287px) Image search: [Google]
The Anger of the Mountain.jpg
134KB, 809x1287px
Tolkien initially wanted to release the Lord of the Rings as a single book, divided into six volumes:

>The Ring Sets Out
>The Ring Goes South
>The Treason of Isengard
>The Ring Goes East
>The War of the Ring
>The End of the Third Age

Tolkien himself reportedly did not like the names given to the books after he was forced to split them up for publications issues, because "The Two Towers" is unclear which two towers it is refering to (the movie makes it seem as if it's Orthanc and Barad Dur, but Tolkien felt it could have also been Minas Tirith or Cirith Ungol) He especially disliked the title "Return of the King", because the title itself is a spoiler.

Had Tolkien had his way, the Lord of the Rings would have been released in a two volume set alongside the Silmarillion.
>>
>>79500249
premium bullshit
>>
>>79500249
He should either put "ring" in all the titles or not do it at all.
>>
File: Rivendell.jpg (216KB, 1287x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Rivendell.jpg
216KB, 1287x1096px
>>79500493
How so? I got some of that info from the 'Note On The Text' in the 50th Anniversary Edition, the rest from the Lord of the Rings wikipedia page.
>>
>>79500493
no not really, I don't know about the idividual titles for the six voumes but that is how the book is structured if you read it, one book in six parts, it was only printed in three because post WW2 paper was relatively expensive and the publisher didn't want to take the chance so broke it into three.

it's documented in tokien's letters he never liked the title the Two Towers because it was so vague, and there were more than two, the film made it Orthanc and Barad-Dur explicitly which works fine so whatever.

tolkien wanted ROTK to be called the war of the ring, because return of the king is a shit title, but the publishers overruled him.
>>
File: Riders at The Ford.jpg (298KB, 1300x873px) Image search: [Google]
Riders at The Ford.jpg
298KB, 1300x873px
>>79500558
Remember though, those would just be volume titles in a single book called The Lord of the Rings, with plenty of chapter titles between them to split it up.
>>
>>79499328
best title drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OE9Xo36vb0&
>>
>>79500853
I forgot how fucking great those practical effects at 1:22 looked.
>>
File: TheTwoTowers.jpg (1009KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TheTwoTowers.jpg
1009KB, 1600x1200px
>>79498735
>In letters to Rayner Unwin Tolkien considered naming the two as Orthanc and Barad-dûr, Minas Tirith and Barad-dûr, or Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol.[3][4] However, a month later he wrote a note published at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring and later drew a cover illustration, both of which identified the pair as Minas Morgul and Orthanc.[5][6]

huh didn't know that.
I always assumed i was barad dur.
>>
>>79499549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWBYdZiOzA
>>
>>79500853
If he'd won, Middle Earth would've had an industrial revolution. Saruman did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 1469141635811.jpg (27KB, 345x355px) Image search: [Google]
1469141635811.jpg
27KB, 345x355px
Why can't I find any of TTT or the RotK behind the scenes shit online? I can find the Fellowship shit just fine.
>>
>>79503189
You should just buy them, best 100 bucks I've ever spent.
>>
>>79503261
I bought all 3 DVD special editions for 10 pounds ;)
>>
>>79499549
>>The Lord of the Rings: Saruman Rises
>>The Lord of the Rings: The Sword of Kings
>>The Lord of the Rings: Mount Doom
These all sound like amazon $.99 e-pubs. Well done.
>>
>>79503261
Yeah I was considering it, I'll need to buy a bluray drive for it though.

Which bluray version is the one without the shitty filter?
>>
Lord of the Rings The Battle of Helms Deep would have been a better title
>>
>>79499197

No. It's Barad Dur and Orthanc (Isengard). Minas Morgul is the Nazgul tower where the orcs and shit left for war. Barad Dur was Sauron's pad with his big ass eye on top.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.