[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just saw this. I thought it was ok but not great. Why did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Arrival,_Movie_Poster.jpg (64KB, 220x343px) Image search: [Google]
Arrival,_Movie_Poster.jpg
64KB, 220x343px
I just saw this. I thought it was ok but not great.

Why did it get so much hype? Is the bar so low for sci fi these days that any high budget movie with a half baked "woah dude" idea will get instant praise?
>>
cool thread man

people liked it for more than the woah dude aspect. Amy Adams' performance is incredible. the cinematography, sound design and special effects are also amazing.
>>
>>79455083
you're just not intalligent enough to understand it
>>
>>79455148
I understand it perfectly. It's not a hard movie to understand you idiot. You sound just like the Inceptionfags back in 2010.

>Adams' performance
ok I guess

>cinematography
Some of the shots looked all right, sure

>sound design
Are you joking anon? The sound design was exactly the same as every alien invasion movie from the last fifteen years. It literally sounded just like War of the Worlds.

>special effects
The look of the aliens and the ships weren't very interesting or memorable.
>>
>>79455146
bump
>>
>tfw too intgalligant to like arrival
>>
>>79455254
>The sound design was exactly the same as every alien invasion movie from the last fifteen years. It literally sounded just like War of the Worlds.

The sound design was one of the best executed aspects in Arrival, mainly sound editing which I am sure will win an Oscar for.
Where in other films sound design is used just to "fill the form", in Arrival it's used as an actual storytelling element where clues from the future are being interplayed with the current narrative.

Also stop misusing the word "literally" just to make your argument seem more valid
>>
>>79455686
The sound design was exactly like War of the Worlds you simpleton
>>
>>79455733
How was it "exactly" like War of the Worlds?
War of the Worlds had creative sound design, but it was not used as a crucial plot device like in Arrival.

And you are saying it like War of the Worlds had terrible sound design, mind you it was also Oscar nominated in Sound Mixing and Sound Editing just like Arrival.
>>
>>79455083
I'll say what I think were the positives of the film so you can grasp why some of us enjoyed it so much

I loved the first contact scene, one of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history.

Where others would fully show the aliens in the first scene and lose all the tension in later sequences, Villeneuve builds up to the moment with Amy Adams freezing right at the point of contact and a sudden jump cut to the decontamination chamber which serves almost like a jump scare to the audience and we get to finally breathe just like the characters in the movie do.
He doesn't need to show us what happened there, we know that they failed to communicate and there's no point in wasting screen time with that and we are still eager to see the aliens in the following scenes.

Perfect tension building and release dynamic, brilliantly executed. Top notch editing too.
I liked the cinematography by Bradford Young, props for him not going for a standard sci fi look, also loved the framing and composition which makes the viewer in the main protagonists shoes
I liked the sound design, actually makes use of the audio to add an another layer to the story just like >>79455686 said
I liked the score by Johannsson
I liked the production design, the blend of practicals with CGI.
I liked Amy Adams performance and her character development.
I liked how was the main narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death effectively handled through a sci fi setting, showing how we should appreciate every waking moment of our life. The ayylmaos and the science are only the setting for the actual story, anyone who expected this to be a "hard sci fi" about aliens were terribly wrong.

And on the other side there are the underwritten/underused Renner and Whitaker characters, also some cheesy lines in the third act.

That's about it.
>>
>>79455794
>How was it "exactly" like War of the Worlds?
Did you even listen to the movie you fool

The alien ships sound exactly the same.

>And you are saying it like War of the Worlds had terrible sound design, mind you it was also Oscar nominated in Sound Mixing and Sound Editing just like Arrival.

>Hey this movie had good sound design, so if we copy it that makes our movie good too.
>>
>>79455868
>The alien ships sound exactly the same.

Firstly, you are confusing the soundtrack and sound design.
Some of the Arrival soundtrack had those overlong notes that were similar in tone to the sound design from the things in War of the Worlds (though in direct comparison I doubt you would say that), so it was not the sound of the ships in Arrival, if you payed attention the ships didn't emmit any sound, radiation, smell etc

Also, that is just one single element of the sound design. You can't say they copied "War of the Worlds" just based on a single sound, the rest of the movie has no connection with it and again, in War of the Worlds it wasn't used in any way similar to Arrival storytelling-wise
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.