[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are slasher films always set in some mundane, peaceful lilly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10

Why are slasher films always set in some mundane, peaceful lilly white town instead of actual murderholes like Detroit, Baltimore or Cleveland?

Halloween: Boring Illinois suburb
Nightmare on Elm Street: Boring Ohio suburb
Friday the 13th: Boring summer camp
Scream: Boring Californian small town
Texas Chainsaw: Hicksville, TX

Not even mentioning the outright propaganda pieces like Stepford Wives explicitly made to demonize white suburban life. Decades of this shit made people believe that suburbs are SO CREEPY, everything pleasant is just a charade and everyone living there is a psychopathic murderer, a pedophile, a wife beater, a demented cuckold or a demon from hell.
>>
There's no point in having a slasher villain in places that already have a high body count. Nobody would likely notice or care. It's about the contrast of the vicious murders and these idyllic neighborhoods. Anyways, Candyman.
>>
Evil Dead: Small cabin in rural mountainous area
>>
Because all of those would have probably ben gunned out by gangs of niggers if they were in detroit.
Also isn't there a movie where Jason goes to Manhattan?
>>
>>79431058

Not a slasher
>>
>>79430716
because nobody gives a fuck about dead niggers, not even niggers themselves
>>
>>79431082
Only for the last 1/4 of the movie. The rest takes place on a boat.
>>
>>79431082
>>79431425

Do you get some thrill from saying the n word anonymously online? Would mommy get mad and ground you if you said that word in public?
>>
Because only white people are dumb enough to get killed by some chode in a mask with a knife.

Jason or Michael wouldn't last a day in Detroit.
>>
Maniac.
>>
File: sdf.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>79430716
That's the point retard
>>
>>79432744
>Jason or Michael wouldn't last a day in Detroit.
I'll give you Michael but Jason is an undead spirit of revenge. What could a street gang possibly do to stop him?
>>
>>79432744
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell
>>
>>79433044
Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>79432931
The point is to demonize peaceful suburban life as something sinister and deranged? Yeah I guess.
>>
>>79431487
Stfu nigger
>>
>>79433044
isn't Micheal supposed to be some kind of demon or some shit too
>>
>>79430716
>>79433258
Because a psycho slaughtering people in safe, friendly place like the suburbs is scarier than a psycho killing people in a dangerous shithole, you fucking idiot. This is so obvious it shouldn't have to be pointed out. Gas yourself.
>>
>>79430716
From a narrative standpoint, for a typical slasher film you need to have a small group of people in a certain concealed place, getting killed in a relatively short amount of time. If you have a bunch of unrelated people getting killed at different locations at different times, it's not a good setting for a slasher. That's more for a crime/procedural type of film, where you follow the cops or the criminal. For a slasher, you need to follow the victim, and they need to know they're victims, and for that you need a group of people in a somewhat confined space.
Basically, you're asking why isn't there old dark house movies that aren't set in an old dark house. The setting is a key part of what makes the genre what it is.
>>
File: 1477690797214.jpg (171KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1477690797214.jpg
171KB, 500x313px
The setting is like an extended jumpscare stretched out through the whole film

The protag thinks they're safe and secure in thier idylic neighbourhood as they're beacons of safety but find out that they have no place of safety and show the dark underbelly of the town they live in.

Theres also the juxtaposition where somewhere tranquil and beautiful gets infected with a sense of paranoia and fear by a deranged lunatic. As >>79431036 says, nobody gives cares if someone takes a shit in a toilet. But when you see a shit in the sink you freak out.
>>
>>79430716
Terror hits your only sanctuary: your home and family. That is the point of these shlocks - they are the nightmares of the target audience.
>>
>mundane peaceful lilly white town
>huge deformed nigger with a machete and a hockey mask stands in front of your house
>everyone screams

>murderhole like detroit
>huge deformed nigger with a machete and a hockey mask stands in from of them projects
>someone takes him down with a stolen handgun held siedeways while holling BREAK YO'SELF FOOO' at the top of his lungs and holding his crotch with the other hands

yep, sounds like fun
>>
>>79433291
He had a curse on him called the mark of caine but the movies never really explain very well what that meant.
>>
>>79433379
This 100%. Like every good scary story they play out a horrible situation in a familiar, "safe" setting to prey on the audience's sense of security.

I mean what's scarier, the idea that a psycho killer is out there in some chiraq shithole town, or the idea of a psycho killer hiding under your bed where you think you're safe?
>>
>>79433379
No it's not, plus it would be something new.
>>
I actually read a paper about this once, how American horror films primarily take place out in the country in places of isolation whereas Japanese horror films primarily take place in dense urban areas. Basically Americans are afraid of rednecks while the Japanese idolize small village life.
>>
>>79433431
Not a slasher movie, but Se7en proved the "serial killer in a dreary urban industrial setting" thing can work pretty well. Plus it's far more realistic than having mammoths with a machete decapitating everyone in Buttfuck Iowa.
>>
>>79433674
Maybe, but it's not a slasher. There's plenty of crime movies and thrillers with serial killers in big cities. Way more than slashers, probably, so it's not like Se7en was groundbreaking on this aspect or anything.
>>
>>79431487
Man you're so mature and wise for going on a tirade about a word you don't like on 4chan
>>
>>79431487
>tfw we've reaching a point when saying "nigger" is considered unaccaptable on fucking 4chan of all places
>>
>>79433844
makes me sick I should be able to say nigger faggot all I want on my Cambodian finger painting image board
>>
File: The_Purge_–_Anarchy_Poster.jpg (52KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Purge_–_Anarchy_Poster.jpg
52KB, 270x400px
>>79430716
if the movie was made in a niggahole like detroit or chicago the movie would look the same as the purge 2.

Jason and michael myers would be the least damgerous part of The movie.

Besides MOST of america tends to be like a boring suburb. Most of america tends to look like that.
So placing myers in detroit would mean few people would be able to connect with the movie as a horror movie and the movie would instead become a suspense action thriller movie.
>>
File: cabrini_green_01.jpg (94KB, 611x404px) Image search: [Google]
cabrini_green_01.jpg
94KB, 611x404px
>>79433606
It would not be new, have you seen any of the Candyman movies? The first one takes place almost entirely in a Chicago project.
>>
File: detr.jpg (31KB, 455x339px) Image search: [Google]
detr.jpg
31KB, 455x339px
>>79433727
The point is the urban setting would be absolutely fantastic for slasher movies. Rust belt cities are scary as fuck (I've lived in one for years), far scarier than some weirdos chasing teen girls through picket fences.
>>
>>79433606
>No it's not
Yes it is, if you weren't so retarded you would be able to figure out that having a slasher take place in the suburbs adds a psychological aspect to the film. Plus the easiest way to make a slasher is to have it take place in a small, confined area. Read what >>79431036,
>>79433417 and >>79433404 said
>>
>>79433928
Think about wouldn't Michael Myers and Jason be the heroes of the movie?
>>
>>79433844
>tfw we've reached a point where people still take obvious bait
>>
>>79433923
Yeah this is what happens when a board gets completely overtaken by newfag normies who think they're on Reddit 2.0. Eventually it becomes just that.
>>
Because it's dumb seeing a big busy city where there's hundreds of people around to help if they see a maniac running around stabbing teenage girls.
>>
>>79433674
Well theres much less police in buttfuck Iowa than in new york or LA for example.

Leatherface would have been taken down easily in new york or chicago not only because more people would be calling the police but because the police would show up quicker.

The whole point of slashers is how hard it is for the characters to escape and survive. The fact that the police force is small is kinda part of the whole thing.
>>
>>79433955
>yeah we need more cliché flicks
>>
>>79431036
>Nobody would likely notice or care.
Isn't that the whole point? A serial killer in a tiny shit town automatically has the entire state on notice and alerts the attention of national media, that completely takes away all scary factor. Now, some psycho stabbing you and dumping your body in an abandoned warehouse in Detroit with nobody noticing or giving a shit, that's far scarier.
>>
>>79433674
Seven was a crime thriller, not a slasher.
>>
>>79434091
>Well theres much less police in buttfuck Iowa
Proportionally to the general population? Hardly. Also New York isn't scary at all precisely because it's not a murder zone, hasn't been one since the 80s. NYC actually has more in common with those rich suburbs than with Detroit nowadays.
>>
>>79434105
Are you OP? OP was droning on about some sort of anti-white conspiracy. My point isn't that slashers that take place in the suburbs are good, my point is slashers aren't anti-white propaganda.
>>
>>79434139
>literally begin the post with saying "Not a slasher"
>B-BUT IT WASN'T A SLASHER THO
Kill yourself.
>>
>>79433942
Sure, but you'd need to set it up to get a group of characters confined in a specific location, and have somebody taking them off one by one without the cops swarming the place right away. Otherwise you're not really making a slasher.
I'm not saying there can't be any. If you consider Maniac a slaher, that's one example, but it's just not the most effective location for that genre, which is basically Ten Little Niggers with tits and gore.
>>
>>79434192
we got an overzelous se[garbage]ven fan, watch out
>>
>>79434184
I'm the OP and I'm not that guy, but I agree with him. Suburbs are cliched as fuck.
>>
>>79434197
Btw, I do not think Maniac is a slasher, but I've seen it called one.
>>
>>79434112
white people moved to the suburbs and avoid places like detroit because they are scared of that kind of thing. the fear is because the suburb is supposed to be a safe place free of all that. the fear is in the questioning and doubt of personal safety that the movie introduces
>>
>>79434245
>completely missing the point
>>
>>79434112
>some psycho stabbing you and dumping your body in an abandoned warehouse in Detroit with nobody noticing or giving a shit
that just sounds like real life Detroit which I agree is scarier than any slasher movie
>>
>>79430716
I think it started from a budget standpoint.
Slashers in the late 70s and 80s were done on the cheap. Halloween is one of the cheapest movies ever made. Friday the 13th would do The special effects on the kitchen of the camp to save money.
They would use the kitchen oven to heat the prosthetics.

These movies were made were it was cheap. How much would it cost to film in detroit or chicago?
Even jason goes to new york was filmed in canada to save costs (except that one single shot )
>>
>>79434105
It's a genre and those are the rules. There are exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions to a rule.
>>
>>79434259
Will you now finally admit that slashers aren't anti-white propaganda?
>>
>>79434314
Halloween was filmed in Los Angeles yet for some reason takes place in Whiteyville, Illinois. Really makes you think.
>>
>>79434329
Aside from Candyman, how many black serial killer films are there?
>>
>>79434385
Many black serial killers, but not many movies about them.
>>
>>79434385
>>79434472
So you think John Carpenter, Wes Craven and Tobe Hooper put white serial killers in their films to make white people look bad?
>>
>>79434385
The movie killers wear masks, who the fuck cares if they're white or black underneath it?
>>
File: movieposter.jpg (34KB, 279x402px) Image search: [Google]
movieposter.jpg
34KB, 279x402px
Setting a slasher in the ghetto would make it a shitty movie. Most ghetto horror movies are cheesy as fuck, because getto niggas are cheesy as fuck by default
>>
>>79434385
Imagine jason in this clip.....

https://youtu.be/Fz9Y72jbsxU
>>
>>79434472
Yep, pretty much every serial killer in Hollywood cinema is white, despite there being a shitload of black serial killers.

>>79434490
It just makes me ponder. It's been 50 years since Psycho and Candyman is the only movie black serial killer I can think of. And even he is a tragic character who originally got lynched by evil whiteys for racemixing with a white woman or some shit.
>>
A slasher has easier avenues to escape and hide than a city. Especially if they know the area well.

And let's be frank, anyone who isn't a straight attractive white cisgender girl/woman from a middle to upper class family isn't going to make headline news. This is why serial killers today target minorities, prostitutes, etc. Nobody is gonna raise a stink nor would major news networks really care that a random black or Latino is missing.
>>
>>79434643
>A slasher has easier avenues to escape and hide than a city. Especially if they know the area well.
This is horseshit. Disappearing in a city is incredibly easy compared to some tiny village.

Also, It Follows was like half suburban area and half Detroit ghettos, both worked pretty well.
>>
>>79434732
Having free space for miles, multiple exit routes, being able to hunker down and hide in anyplace in the woods, abandoned houses, etc. is why suburban and rural areas are ideal places for killers. It's why a lot of them target victims in these places.

Also disposing bodies is a LOT easier than a city.

It Follows was a supernatural entity rather than a slasher.
>>
>when the bar for bait keeps getting lowered

vote with your (you)'s people
>>
>>79434555
having a black slasher would probably be seen as racist and trigger black lives matter.

Horror in general is a white people genre.
Horror fans tend to be neckbeards. Go to a horror convention and it is mostly white people.
Look at halloween parties and the people dressed as slashers are white guys.

Blacks watch horror but they arent fanatics
>>
>>79434877
>Having free space for miles, multiple exit routes, being able to hunker down and hide in anyplace in the woods, abandoned houses, etc. is why suburban and rural areas are ideal places for killers.
Depends. If we're talking New York City then you're probably right, but Detroit? Shitload of abandoned houses, derelict factories and warehouses that nobody has even bothered to check since the 1970s. There's a shitload of places to hide in.

>a supernatural entity rather than a slasher
You're saying like it's mutually exclusive. Jason and Freddy were also supernatural entities.
>>
>>79435023
I think the point of a horror movie is to identify with the victim rather than with the killer. I'm pretty sure a lot of "white neckbeards" are absolutely terrified by niggers.
>>
>>79435059
Detroit is too dangerous to work.
Director of Elysium wanted Eminem for the main role, eminem said yes with the condition that they in detroit.
The director tried but the studio would never go for it. Too risky.
Filming in detroit would turn the movie into a real life horror for the cast.
>>
>>79435059
This is true, but Detroit is also the place where you have a higher chance of getting killed compared to other cities barring Camden. It'd be hilarious if a slasher was randomly murdered by a drive-by or something in Detroit.

Freddy's power only rested in the town of Springwood; something Freddy's Dead and Jason vs Freddy touched upon. He needed a way out of Springwood because he ran out of kids to kill, everyone tried to forget him, and he needed to scare everyone.

Jason only left Crystal Lake on rare exceptions. The entity from It Follows HAS to track down the latest victim in its chain. Doesn't matter if it was suburbs or city, it's gonna go after the target.
>>
>>79435176
As said before, It Follows is filmed in Detroit.
>>
>>79435226
>>As said before, It Follows is filmed in Detroit.

Yet not a single one of the ghosts or human characters are negros...

Really stimulates your neurons
>>
>>79435264
Well they're white kids who venture into the total shithole that is Detroit and the setting is far scarier than some cartoonesque 1950s burb.
>>
>>79430716
do you live in the suburbs? It fucking sucks and there's absolutely no soul whatsoever. I've lived next to my neighbors for around 10 years and hardly know them, nobody socializes, it's just a living unit to sleep and eat in between work and school. It's boring and soulless, writers probably grew up in the suburbs and inserted that fantasy into their mundane lives
>>
>>79435430
Mate, making movies in the getto with black slashers would be considered racist as fuck. Everyone would freak the fuck out because of the negative representation of black people and black cities.
>>
>>79435696
Yep, and besides, reality is already far scarier over there. Having an already fucked up violent place and adding more fucked up shit would just be par for the course.
>>
>>79435559
Honesty, the suburbs is ideal for living because peace and quiet is great, but the city is where I want to work and have a nightlife.
>>
>>79435789
I live in the city and I like convenience, but nightlife and "shit to do" is normie stuff that I never gave two fucks about. I like staying inside for most of the day.
>>
>>79435789
Oh yeah, as far as basic needs go you've got it. It's safe, clean, and the hours can be nice but if you want more, like nightlife or culture, you're going to have to go in the city
>>
cold prey is set in an abandoned hotel that is surrounded by snow, easily the best location for any horror film (the thing sort of and the shining)
>>
>>79430716
>>place slasher movie in the city
>>20 minutes into the movie half the characters are dead from city violence.
>>city is full of gang members, drug addicts and homeless people.
>>slasher movie becomes a commentary on systemic racism and inner city struggle.
>> slasher killing nigglets is seem as in bad taste in comparison to how these people live.
>> the police never shows up because of being a bad neighborhood
>>
>>79430716
>Why are slasher films always set in some mundane, peaceful lilly white town instead of actual murderholes like Detroit, Baltimore or Cleveland?

Because there's nothing shocking about murder happening in those towns, where as the juxtaposition makes it itneresting.

Dumb fuck
>>
>>79431487
Sup newfag
>>
>>79436433
Whhy do you guys say fag, you stupid homophobic niggers i fucking hate you.
>>
>>79436353
It's called a slasher movie not shocker movie, faggot.
>>
>>79431058
This
>>
File: 1487097069861.gif (575KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1487097069861.gif
575KB, 500x376px
>>79430716
It's almost like juxtaposition exists and is a tool used in screenwriting
>>
Because slasher movies are for emasculated beta white males, who need to have the same tropes regurgitated at them over and over again, and are so braindead that the mere idea of anything else but a virginal white woman surviving a film shocks them, and is considered subversive.
>>
Texas chainsaw massacre placed in chicago would be called the chicago chainsaw massacre.
So, basically, business as usual.
>>
>>79430716

Its to create contrast

In white suburbs it makes sense for everything to be cozy and chill before the inevitable slasher-storm. You cant create a calm/chill atmosphere in a chicago inner city hell hole. Therefore the atmosphere will be tense all the time which ruins the build up.

Inner cities have thrillers instead.
>>
>>79432744

I would watch Jason in Detroit against uppity niggers getting rekt after calling him "crazy ass cracka" etc
>>
The Chucky and Candyman series is set primarily in Chicago and are both pretty good. I like the change in setting from your normal slasher.

Other than that, I thought the 15 minutes of Jason Goes to New York that actually took place in New York was awesome.
>>
Cause that makes it scarier dumbass
Why do you think in the 70s inner city crimes involving the mafia or gangs were reported but guys like ted bundy were made FAMOUS
>>
>>79437980
Because of the (((media))) overreporting that shit. Ted Bundy wasn't even anything special and serial killing didn't magically start in the 70s, the 70s were just a decade when the media turned it into something cool and edgy. The Bundy trial was basically one of the first reality shows.

You see the same media hype about "mass shooting" today.
>>
>>79431487
>saying the n word

you think that helps you. everyone know what you mean. your giving more power to the word than it already had and everyone knows youre just to afraid to use the actual word.
>>
>>79433044
>What could a street gang possibly do to stop him

Does anyone ever really stop them? They might be found or revived in a vacant house or field of weeds. Detroit is such a shit hole
>>
>>79434091
>calling the police

LOL. Do you know the response time in cities like Detroit or Baltimore. You can get a fuckin pizza delivered before you see any law enforcement
>>
Candyman
>>
>>79435176
They filmed scenes for Transformers in Detroit. They used the old historic run down train station, which to be fair was beautiful at one time but now stands abandon and delapidated. Its still a pretty good urban explorers hot spot. I will never go in its basement though. FUCK THAT. Full NOPE.

>>79435264
That a lie. It was filled in the surrounding suburbs outside of the Detriot, mainly to the southwest or "downriver". The only shot from is Detroit is from a water station that they have on 8 mile and when they enter it its the fucking pool scene.
>>
>>79435176
They regularly film movies in dangerous areas just because they're cheap as fuck. The NYC scenes in Avengers and Spider-Man were actually Cleveland, Escape from New York was filmed in St. Louis, Beverly Hills Cop was filmed in Detroit, etc. Lots of shit filmed in New Orleans too and it's the murder capital of the US. It's far more common than you think.
>>
File: GNFOS1[1].jpg (39KB, 994x520px) Image search: [Google]
GNFOS1[1].jpg
39KB, 994x520px
>>79431487
NIGGER
NIGGER
NIGGER
NIGGER
NIGGER
>>
>>79430716

Scream 3
Candyman
Se7en
Sorority Row
Dracula 2000
New Nightmare

Most of them are set in small towns and the suburbs because "it's scarier because it can happen anywhere" or some shit like that.

Who cares suburbia is shit anyway.
>>
>>79439310
>Who cares suburbia is shit anyway.
Objectively better than cities, at least if we're talking USA.
>>
File: IMG_8390.jpg (520KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8390.jpg
520KB, 1280x960px
>>79439367

"No"
>>
>>79439310
>>Who cares suburbia is shit anyway.

Naggers do
>>
A movie about, e.g., the Knoxville Horror, would be raciss.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.