[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will CGI and Special Effects ever be impressive again? I remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 36465347758475346.jpg (45KB, 592x594px) Image search: [Google]
36465347758475346.jpg
45KB, 592x594px
Will CGI and Special Effects ever be impressive again?
I remember being pretty impressed by Avatar when it came out, thinking that it looked honestly fairly incredible.
Now i'm watching Doctor Strange and while i still think that the CGI looks great, it doesnt really shock or impress me anymore.
The effects dont get anything more than
>uh thats neat
out of me.
Instead, movies like The Raid, with great choreography impress me so much more, simply because it requires more work and dedication to accomplish than any CGI landscape ever will.
So, /tv/ will there ever be a revolution of special effects?
Something that will truly shock me again?
>>
>>79428616
>Something that will truly shock me again?

A good marvel movie, but don't hold your breath
>>
>Instead, movies like The Raid, with great choreography impress me so much more, simply because it requires more work and dedication to accomplish than any CGI landscape ever will.
Stop falling for Redditlettermedia memes, CGI absolutely takes tons of work and dedication
>>
>>79428616
When it become affordable to genetically engineer actual blue cat people for the sole purpose of being in a movie, then gassing them as soon as production wraps up.
>>
>>79428616
That's the thing about technology. People are only impressed when a new leap is done. Maintaining a standard is then only expected and never praised, while falling below the standard is looked down on.

But yes, I do think we will be wowed in the future by the next leap in CGI and special effects.
>>
In terms of basic spectacle and realism, no. I'm sure things will improve, but after seeing stuff like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and GOTG, we'll never have such a significant leap forward that it's awe inspiring. The only thing I can see accomplishing that is a legit 360 degree VR film, which I'm sure Cameron will attempt at some point.
>>
>>79428616
Your only hope is the Avatar sequel. Say what you will about Cameron, he pushes the technological limits of filmmaking more than any other director. I think the sequel will be another enormous leap forward.
>>
>>79428616
Apparently James Cameron is developing 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. That would impress me because i hate wearing those glasses
>>
>>79428689
>CGI absolutely takes tons of work and dedication
The problem is that the studios are absolutely shitty to the effects studios. Its not like before where you have you ILM, K&B, or henson creature shops that are full of people dedicated to the craft of movie magic, its more like a sweatshop.
Not to mention with practical effects you've got something physical you need to work around and interact with, while CGI is something they slap on at the end of production.
Sometimes its having to work with and around limitations that elevate the movie as a whole.
As a tool CGI is a wonderful addition to cinema, in practice its a lazy attempt to distract the audience from the lack of anything substantial in the movie itself.
>>
>>79428665
I've had enough of the Marvel Cinematic Quipverse.
You can basically predict most of the conversations the moment the scene begins.
>>
>>79428689
I know, its also why CGI is expensive as fuck.
But, good CGI is basically the industry standard right now, which means it doesnt stand out.
Bad CGI stands out, good CGI goes unnoticed and anything beyond good CGI is something that i have yet to see.
>>
>>79429109
The whole cinematic universe thing lost its novelty years ago.
>>
I dare you not to be impressed by this scene https://youtu.be/NLbanuzxd7w

10/10 kino
>>
File: 1486782040311.jpg (39KB, 249x235px) Image search: [Google]
1486782040311.jpg
39KB, 249x235px
>>79429562

*runs out of breath groaning*
*dies*
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.