[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the Ulysses of film? >terrible pacing >plot so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1454181698615.jpg (69KB, 585x750px) Image search: [Google]
1454181698615.jpg
69KB, 585x750px
What is the Ulysses of film?

>terrible pacing
>plot so ""deep"" it anyone who claims to understand it is lying
>praised by pseudo-intellectuals as the second coming
>seen by true intellectuals as mediocre
>>
>>79338766
Why is this so overrated? It's garbage.
>>
>>79338766
>>79338803
Plebs

Probably don't even like farts
>>
>>79338766

>terrible pacing
>plot so ""deep"" it anyone who claims to understand it is lying
>praised by pseudo-intellectuals as the second coming

The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
>>
I didn't get into Ulysses at all and just figured the English was too different for me. Felt like I was reading something in a second language.
>>
File: tark the shark on plotbabbies.jpg (77KB, 440x560px) Image search: [Google]
tark the shark on plotbabbies.jpg
77KB, 440x560px
>"plot"
>>
Here learn some shit.

http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/898669/theme/legacy/autonext/no/width/325/height/375/thumbnail/yes/category/
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(1967_film)
>>
Solaris
>>
>>79338834
It's fucking stupid. You sort of have to be a Joyce scholar to appreciate Ulysses. Just sitting down and reading it without background IS like trying to read something in a different language.
>>
What is it with /lit/ trying to invade /tv/? Aren't both boards shitty enough without shitposters crossposting?
>>
Primer
>>
>muh Greeks
Reminder that as limp wristed and faggy as Postmodern art is, one of the defining traits of Modernism was and always will be far more pretentious and self absorbed
>>
>>79338766
I picked it up twice but couldn't finish it. The parts i understood were pretty good (the guilt he feels about his mom) the rest was gibberish
>>
>>79339026
Nobody claims that Primer is deep, it's just necessarily complicated due to its conceit
>>
>>79338966
The only background you require is Joyce's other (>300 page) book and Hamlet, one of the most read works on the cannon, and maybe the Odyssey, even though most modern editions have enough commentary on the neccessary associations (and again, foundational text, you should be familiar with it if you're tackling modernist literature)
>>
>>79338966
>>79338834
Finnegans Wake sire, but not Ulysses. Ulysses has some unusual (but still understandable) sentences, but the English itself is mostly relatively straightforward and I guess the difficulty comes from the requirement to know some very basic French, German, and Latin.

Have you guys even read it? Ulysses is complicated in the way it maps emotions and thoughts and blends action and what goes on in the narrators' heads. Finnegans Wake is the really crazy one.
>>
>>79338766
Primer, maybe
>>
>>79339213
sire = sure
>>
>>79339213
He doesn't use normal narrative tools to indicate speech patterns or thought so it becomes confusing. The actions bleed into thought and vice versa. You have to read the sentence over twice to make some sense
>>
I won't ever bother with Ulysses because even Dubliners is vastly overrated. Portrait was alright but a drag.

Beckett is better.
>>
>>79338766
>regarded by the intellectual community as one of the great modern novels
>>
>>79339153
people who try to understand primer are missing the point of the film 2bh
>>
>>79339420

"""""""Intellectual community"""""""
>>
>>79338832
I've got some bad news for you if you can't understand children's fantasy without putting on a facade.
>>
2001 ticks all the boxes
>>
>ulysses
>mediocre

its a marvel of writing. not a great novel but proof that james joyce was better with language than pretty much anyone else on earth. also the beginning chapters are pretty incredible in terms of prose.

i dont think any director has shown the control of the medium that Joyce had over language, however
>>
>>79339444
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""">"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>79339213
Finnegan's Wake is more readable than it seems. You just have to realize that literally every single phrase is a pun and often has several meanings, so you have to take it three or four words at a time and do some Googling. It's not a typical reading experience but it's fun.
>>
>>79339029
words words words
>>
>>79339029

This. Joyce fans love the smell of farts as much as he did.
>>
Out 1?
>>
>>79338766
mulholland drive
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.