[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw everyone is circlejerking over Arrival's """"brilliance""""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

>tfw everyone is circlejerking over Arrival's """"brilliance"""" when a superior film was already carefully crafted almost two decades ago
>>
I love the 90s aesthetic, this cover is perfect in so many ways
>>
Was she OK to go?
>>
>>79226913
what the fuck are you talking about
/tv/ fucking hates contact, stop being contrarian
>>
>>79226913
Those two movies are similar only in the setting, everything else is completely different.

While Contact is specifically about the first contact, the ayylmao's and the science are just the setting in Arrival where the actual story takes place in, the story of Amy Adams character relationship with her daughter and life/death in general.
I don't know how it flew over everyone's head, the opening and ending sequences are about it, all the major scenes are intercut with it and the rest of the movie is either a heavy close-up of Amy Adams or a shallow focus shot from her point of view.

Don't watch film with heavy preconcieved expectations of what it should be about
>>
>>79227097
/tv/ confirmed pleb
>>
>It's older so it's better. I just guess i was born in the wrong generation, *sigh*
>>
>>79226913
>carefully crafted

Please tell me how is Contact better in terms of framing and composition, editing, production design, sound design and visual effects than Arrival
>>
>>79227729

>he doesn't know about the epic hallway-mirror transition
>>
>>79227097
untrue
>>
>>79226913
even Interstellar did it better than Contact
>>
Arrival was OK, but Contact is a masterpiece
>>
contact was also a huge bomb
>>
>>79227192
This.

Arrival wasn't about aliens at all.
It was an argument against aborting fetuses with proven deadly diseases, because "all life is valuable".
>>
>>79227640
> another half-witted millennial thinks modern culture isn't shit in a hand basket
>>
>>79227097
The Arrival >>>>>>>> Contact >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arrival
>>
>>79227097
nope, I enjoyed it
>>
File: 1452231570766.jpg (18KB, 408x408px) Image search: [Google]
1452231570766.jpg
18KB, 408x408px
Contact goes full retard in the science vs. religion theme to the point of using extremist stereotypes to get their theme across.

Arrival has problems but they never try to nail a message on your head with a fucking jackhammer.
>>
>>79229155
> doesn't force a message
How about the constant and forced 'we must unite as humans' and 'violence is not the answer' memes?

Arrival is for modern, shallow types.
>>
>>79228857
>so epicccc omg xDD

It's just one scene in a two and a half hour movie
>>
>>79229155
>Arrival has problems but they never try to nail a message on your head with a fucking jackhammer
PRO LIFE ABORTION IS BAD PROTECT ALL LIFE CONDOMS SHOULDN'T BE LEGAL
>>
>>79229155
prototip: peopleare full retarded and more likely than not a real life event would be much closer to contact than arrival
>>
>>79227729

The Very Large Array made for a wonderful backdrop in the scenes shot there, awe-inspiring in scale and just very aesthetic, and no special effects were necessary
>>
>>79229076
sure, whatever you say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLIHSTp87o
>>
>>79229537
still dont know how they did that damn mirror scene for the time
>>
>>79229361
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/21/14035620/arrival-denis-villeneuve-interview

>"I was honestly afraid that because of the nature of the story, it could be seen as a pro-life movie, which is not for me. In the short story, the idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."
>>
>>79229537
Wow, that's trippy.
>>
>>79227097
Fuck you, I love Contact
>>
>>79227097
Anon is lying. I watched it yesterday and liked it.
>>
>>79229537
10/10 cinematography
what does arrival have?
>>
>>79229921
You don't even know what "good" cinematography is.

Quality cinematography is when the story is told through the visual narrative using framing and composition.
Long takes and advanced camera movements are impressive, but if it isn't serving the story it's basically worthless, empty pretty pictures.

You can take that approach on any filmmaking element, is it serving the story or just there to "fill in the form".

For example, the sound design in Arrival is exceptional because it's used as a tool for showing the non linear plotline, where clues from the future are being played in key scenes in the current narrative.
>>
>>79229361
>>79229249

These messages aren't forced. I know it triggers your alt right neurons but they aren't forced.
>>
>>79230424
>I know it triggers your alt right neurons
I'm a communist, though. Literally a member of a communist party :^)
>>
>>79227729

The asthetic of arrival is that of a gentleman's perfume commercial.
>>
File: IMG_8308.jpg (121KB, 500x734px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8308.jpg
121KB, 500x734px
>it's a 4chan pretends they know alien kino episode
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.