[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats your opinion on this? Memes aside, I think is a great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 17

File: arrival-poster-russia.jpg (1MB, 1500x2340px) Image search: [Google]
arrival-poster-russia.jpg
1MB, 1500x2340px
Whats your opinion on this?

Memes aside, I think is a great movie, but the pacing is awful, it needed 30 more mins because I feel it went from zero to hero too fast.
>>
I felt similar. end came too quick and was a mess. Also the beginning kind of spoiled the movie
>>
Politically overcharged story with meme tier direction.
>>
>>79156460
i liked it. it was a nice departure from the genre, besides the interwoven stories had the right pacing. the most important came first.
>>
>>79156579
I see your point, China and Russia both wanting to go guns blazing was a little...off.
>>
>>79156536
how?
>>
>>79156797
it basically told you it was going to be a recursive theme in the movie.
>>
>>79156827
No fucking way did you call that from the very beginning. Half way through, I'd believe, but not at the start.
>>
>>79156893
trust me I did. very good at predicting tweests
>>
My only real criticism is the whole bomb thing was kinda hamfisted
>>
>>79156923
There's no hint to that at all in the beginning though. How?
>>
>>79156972
The flashback scene
>>
>>79157045
The one at the very start?
>>
>>79157066
Yea
>>
>>79157078
Well, that's impressive if true
>>
I really enjoyed it. I guessed what was going on by the time they first showed the ink writing, but man oh man it was enthralling from start to finish.

My only complains are the really shitty cheesy lines near the end. Almost ruined it for me. Really took me out of the movie.
>>
>>79156893
I guessed that the first scene was a flash forward at the first scene with the aliens.
>>
>>79157433
>>79157446
The ink writing is what clued me in too.
>>
>Sci-Fi movie based on the science of linguistics
Wow this is actually cool and unique-

>Halfway through the language stuff is thrown out for generic time travel bullshit
>>
How did they understand the alien language so fast

That bugged me
>>
>>79156579
Only a /pol/ zombie could confuse love with politics
>>
>>79157112
It really isn't. The movie wants you to think shes all sad because she lost her daughter but it isn't exactly subtle about the fact its dropping hints that she hasn't had a kid yet.
>>
>>79157470
First time seeing a sci-fi movie?
>>
>>79157496
It's been a while since I've seen it, could you remind me what hints you're talking about?
>>
>>79157470
They made a program that brute forced it with the limited stuff they already knew was my guess
>>
>>79157519
SHE HAS HANGUPS ON CHILDHOOD HOLY SHIT DUDE
>>
>>79157519
The thing that made me suspicious from the beginning was that she looked the same age throughout all of the scenes, as in she didn't look younger in the earlier scenes.

Then there's other bits like talk about her profession, the conversation with her mother, the doctors question about pregnancy and her reaction, more...
>>
>>79156460
Terrible, boring, huge disappointment.
>>
>>79157468
>he cant think in non-linear time
>>
>>79157540
I'm talking about right at the start.
>>
>>79157468
>time travel
so you never watched the movie?
there is no time travel and she wasn't the only one that could predict the future
case in point: the chinese general was also living in non linear time because he knew the only way to save the world was to tell Adams his phone number and dead wife's dying speech

>>79157470
>>79157536
the more you learn about the language the more you see in non linear time so when she learned enough she was able to see the book she wrote in the future which had all the translations
>>
>>79156460
>memes aside
>complains about pacing

I don't know what is trolling and what is genuine retardation anymore
>>
>>79157653
>the general
No, he knew that waaay after she became so popular as to attend glamorous parties, ergo, everyone knew her to view time non-linearly and the General says this with "I don't pretend to know how your mind works but I believe it is necessary for you to see this".
>>
>>79157696
You don't understand how the language worked. Once you learn the language you can see into your OWN future. That's what the general meant. He knew that telling her that will save humanity but he didn't know why because he can't see what she's doing in the present. He can only see his own life
>>
Did they really need the cgi hair?
>>
>>79157045
*Flashforward scene
>>
It was alright, 7/10 at best. It was one of those TOODEEP4U movies.
>>
>>79156460
Snoozefest.
>>
>>79156460
It should have been made into a series instead of a film.
>>
felt more like a film about humanity rather than aliums

like the ayys were just there as a tool to tell the story of amy adams's character which really bugged me
>>
>>79158623
Yeah. I gave it 4/5. The idea could have been executed better but it was shot well enough and was interesting throughout. It could of done being a bit longer so they could get more stuff in. They kind of hinted about having the "people are too easily influenced by the media" bit but then just set off a bomb and left it at that.
>>
>>79157468
This to be completely fair.
The linguistic and communication problems seemed like an actually original concept for a cool story. A shame the movie was entirely about time tricks tho
>>
>>79158765
It was a good premise that didn't need all the 2deep4u bullshit that it tried to go for.
>>
Story and characters were utter shit and politics laughable. Most angry a movie got me in over a year. Shouldn't have gotten hyped.
>>
>>79157914
From my perspective it was flashback
>>
>>79156460
>Highly intelligent beings capable enough to travel through space and see through time
>The onus is on the humans to communicate
First major flaw. If you can see that you will need to talk to them I highly doubt they cant learn the language.

this plus some other lazy writing (i.e le angry military bomb men) drastically weakened the film)
>>
>>79159450
>le angry military bomb men
literally lifted from contact pretty much
>>
>>79159094
Yes but you didn't have the higher ground.
>>
>yfw you realize all the shots the army gave is what her caused her kid to be diseased
>>
>>79159450
This.

Even if the whole point was for us to learn their language so we can see the future n shiet, they could have just held up a white board that says that, and then gave us a heptapod-to-english dictionary, since that's basically all Amy Adams was making anyway, and they understood english fine at the end.
>>
File: banana-scale-arrival.jpg (83KB, 692x1080px) Image search: [Google]
banana-scale-arrival.jpg
83KB, 692x1080px
>>
>>79156460
Great trolling material. So many inconsistensies, loopholes and intricacies enough to beat useless 'discussions' on this board. Well done psychos.
>>
three words

humanities major bait
>>
File: 1.jpg (70KB, 481x554px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
70KB, 481x554px
>>
>>79162520
8 more threads and we'll be able to complete the picture.
>>
>>79162520
OH SHIT THEY'RE HERE
>>
>>79162520
>the movie revolves around a nigger
>>
File: 1485099336977.png (8KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1485099336977.png
8KB, 231x218px
If she learned the language from looking at the book she wrote in the future how did she learn the language in the first place?

scifikeks btfo
>>
>>79162837
>how did she learn the language in the first place?
Different timeline, dumb frogposter
>>
>>79162837
Not just the book, she accessed her whole future memory, that's why there is a montage of her teaching students the language. If you're asking how she got the knowledge in the first place, well, she studied. For years. 50 years of perfecting the language and you can access that information at any point in time since you first starting thinking in Heptapod. It's better explained in the short story.
>>
File: 1467126614943.jpg (45KB, 634x357px) Image search: [Google]
1467126614943.jpg
45KB, 634x357px
>>79163321
why would she need to learn it at any point if she learned it from looking at her future?
>>
>>79163369
Because she is a linguist and likes to learn new languages, and she is doing the same thing she saw in the future because literally wants to. As I said, better explained in the book. I'll give you an example. While reading a story to her daughter:

"First Goldilocks tried the papa bear's bowl of porridge, but it was full of Brussels sprouts, which she hated." You'll laugh. "No, that's wrong!" We'll be sitting side by side on the sofa, the skinny, overpriced hardcover spread open on our laps. I'll keep reading. "Then Goldilocks tried the mama bear's bowl of porridge, but it was full of spinach, which she also hated." You'll put your hand on the page of the book to stop me. "You have to read it the right way!" "I'm reading just what it says here." I'll say, all innocence. "No, you're not. That's not how the story goes." "Well if you already know how the story goes, why do you need me to read it to you?" "'Cause I wanna hear it!"
>>
>>79163490
how can you learn a language you already know?
>>
What really took me out of it is that they spent all that fucking time on making these aliums with a neat time is a flat circle kind of shit going and then they just drop that in favor of shitty drama, I want the fucking sequel with how they helping us helped them in 3000 years. This film took a nosedive as soon as Amy Adams got INKED by Abbot, actually it took a nosedive in the first 10 minutes with the shit flash forward.

4/10 will not recommend
>>
what i liked
>everything but the

what i didnt like
>cheesy lines and cliche shitty sad violin music at the start and finish
>>
>>79163527
You can perfect it, like, I know English but it's not my first language. I could keep studying to get better at it. I know the language but I'm not a scholar in the subject.
>>
>>79163569
thats not really a good analogy to explain a time paradox
>>
>>79163539
>calling anything by Max Richter "cliche" or "shitty"

yeah spot on observation anon lmao
>>
>>79163664
not an argument
>>
>>79163668
Just like saying something is "shitty" isn't an argument too
>>
>>79163690
not an argument
>>
>>79163616
Read the short story, it actually addresses the paradox. It's a deterministic universe, once you see the future, you're bound to make it happen. It's science fiction though, I wouldn't try to apply it to the real world. It's logical within the story though. Regarding the paradox, it references Borges and the Book of Ages. (a book where all your life is written). Pretty good stuff.
>>
>>79162520
There's like a million different posters for this movie yet they all look the same
>>
>>79163741
i didn't come to /tv/ to read if they don't explain it in the movie it's not part of the movie
>>
>>79163943
You didn't come to /tv/ to read..., right.
>>
>>79163943
They explained it pretty clearly in the movie, but you didn't understand it so anon redirects you to the other medium which could help you understand the same thing the movie was portraying.
>>
>>79164038
so

she learns the language from the future and then learns it again because it's a deterministic universe and that's just how it is? i guess this is an explanation but it comes with the idea that the universe forces her to relearn a language she already knows
or
she learns the language because she chooses to relive her life exactly as she sees it in the future. is that really living then? she's just a replay of what she has already seen. she literally cannot have a thought that she didnt see in the future and this would make no sense
>>
>>79164193
>and this would make no sense
why?
>>
>>79164259
how can she make a choice she has already seen herself do in the future?
>>
>>79164193
The second one.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Villeneuve to answer your question:
>"The idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."

Same goes for Amy Adams character, she loves those moments with her daughter so much that she thinks the short life she is going to live is worth living for just because of that.
That's what the movie is about, embracing and appreciating every waking moment of your life.
>>
So tired of the emerging "China saves the day" trope being forced into every movie made in the last 5 years. Buuuut this is what you get when you don't finance your own country's movies.
>>
>>79164303
By...making it? She doesn't see herself shitposting on /tv/, she sees herself doing something that, based on her personality, would do. Hence, she "chooses" to do the same thing she saw herself do. It's not that difficult a concept to understand.
>>
>>79156460
Why the fuck is everyone suddenly talking about this movie agai?
>>
Saw it on Sat. I thought it was really good. Wish it had spent more time on the science of getting to know the ayylmaos and the ending wasn't resolved so fast.

Also, I thought even China and Russia wouldn't be so stupid to attack an alien ship that has incomprehensibly advanced technology. Africans sure, but major world powers would realize they could end up getting the Earth vaporized by accident or some shit.
>>
>>79164356
Bluray released a couple of days ago.
>>
>Feminism the movie, oh shit my kid died of cancer and im the worlds best linguist, ayy lmaos land, i figure out the language of cthuthlu ayy lmaos with the help of hawkeye from the avengers PLOTTWIST ayylmao language rewrites your brain in such a way as that you perceive time differently so memories of dead kid is really just premonitions of future kid with hawkeye, ayylmaos leave.

FIN
>>
>>79156460
Truly enlightening experience. Now, I understand that China and Russia are war-mongers and that globalism is the true path forward,

Thanks for asking brother, anon.
>>
>>79164360
The countries escalation was added to the movie, same with the bomb, to add some "danger" to the whole situation. None of it appears in the book.
>>
>>79164351
why does she see the exact universe she wants to and WILL live in? why doesn't she see the opposite and choose differently? i guess you could make the point that FOR NO REASON she sees a universe that she WANTS exactly as is.

she's the biggest pussy to ever live or the world is simply deterministic.

and when you think about a choice that you have though about with 100% the same thoughts in the future and you make the same choice. it doesn't strike to me as a choice but as a certainty. she sees the future therefore she chooses to live it, no other way is possible
>>
>>79164425
I'm literally /pol/ and I can tell you there was no feminism shoehorned in this movie. The fact that she's a woman shouldn't trigger you so much mate.
>>
>>79164489
I'm guessing you have problems understanding Determinism. You should google it, but I'm getting tired of spoonfeeding you the whole thing. Eventually you have to either understand the film or admit you don't.
>>
>>79157653
>>79157696
>>79157743
What's really going on is logic loopholes, as in all time bending movies. The future of Amy Adams as of before the phone call is dying in nuclear war. That's what she would see if she could see the future in that moment. She can't see the general's phone number there's going to be nuclear war and she's never going to meet the general. Amy Adams prevents the war by magically seeing an alternate future where the war didn't happen. Why did the war not happen in that alternate future? Because she magically saw that alternate future, before the war should have happened.

Anyone who takes the concept "non-linear" seriously is retarded. "Non-linear time" is like "non-tall skyscraper". Time is literally the observation that motion / change happens in a linear fashion. If world events weren't linear you couldn't even differentiate between past, present and future, there would just be random events happening in random order. There couldn't even be laws of physics, there could be no gravity. There could be no humans. The whole idea is fucking retarded so just stop.

Aside from the general's phone number there's another scene that should jump out at you upon reflection: The ayy lmaos let themselves get blown up knowingly. One of them dies, and it's for nothing. There was no reason this ayy would want to "sacrifice" himself or whatever. He just ignores that a bomb is about to explode and kill him, for no reason. On first viewing it doesn't irk you because you don't know they can see the future yet. But once you think about it, or if you ever watch it again it should really, really anger you. Wtf were the writers thinking? Wtf was the director thinking?
>>
>>79164520
kidding me? no one here has brought up any valid points

>durr hurr read the book
>durr the movie clearly states this and that
>i totally understand the movie and will not accept any criticism to my understanding
>>
>>79164560
The latter then. Alright, have a nice day.
>>
>>79164555
This must be the most misinformed post in the thread, congratulations.
>>
>>79164356
>suddenly
There were multiple daily Arrival threads since the release, then the screenerfags came, then web-dl and now threads because of the bluray

Screenerfags were the worst.
>>
>>79164579
Not that guy and I didn't pay attention to your argument but you're defending the movie which means you're retarded.

>>79164632
Zero arguments as expected.
>>
>>79164520
>>79164579
and determinism ISN'T the law of the universe in the movie if she has a CHOICE
>>
>>79164662
the movie fucked it up and made it seem like people had choices. the book is much more explicit.

people are just acting out their parts, making the motions. the future is set in stone.
>>
>>79164752
If she learned the language from looking at the book she wrote in the future how did she learn the language in the first place?

this is still a paradox
>>
>>79164850
He is talking about the short story the movie is based on, not the actual book in the movie.

Ofcourse she knew the language before writing the book, your post doesn't make sense.
>>
>>79164752
Did it? I thought the movie made it obvious the future is always set in stone.

The aliens would have known the bomb was going to go off. Yet they choose to go through the motions and let Abbott death process.
>>
>>79164918
i meant the book in the movie, soz

so she wrote the book based on the knowledge she gained from the book from the future?

the book isn't really important but the knowledge is. she learned the language from the future so she never learned it from anywhere else
>>
>>79164993
She didn't learn the language from her future book, where did you even get that idea?
>>
Did this remind anyone else of Contact? I mean the tone, not the plot.
>>
>>79165019
so the scene in the movie is just misinformation? the one where she opens the book in the future and then exclaims "i know the language!"

i did thought of that but seems dumb as fuck and that's not really how you would interpret the scene
>>
>>79164993
>she learned the language from the future so she never learned it from anywhere else

What the fuck are you even trying to say?
The movie is pretty straightforward, the aliens come, she interacts with the aliens, after some heavy interations she finally learns their non-linear language and saves the world, writes a book about it.
What do you not understand?
>>
It was a masterpiece on the level of 2001.
>>
>>79164974
like i said, they sorta fucked it up by doing a bit of both.

like theres a bit at the end where shes says, even knowing where the path leads, i choose to embrace it like she has a choice. fuck that, if you can see the future and still make different choices, that instantly makes things infinitely more complex, knowing the future would instantly give people seizures or something because every time someone made the intention to make a different choice it would shift 60 or 70 years of worth of memories for you several hundred million times.
>>
>>79165208
>knowing the future would instantly give people seizures or something because every time someone made the intention to make a different choice it would shift 60 or 70 years of worth of memories for you several hundred million times.

The point is that what you "see" in the future happening is the final result of your choices, so if you saw you getting run over by a car in the future and made a conscious effor of not leaving your room ever then maybe an earthquake happens and you storm out on the streets and then the car hits you.
>>
it's the latest in a long line of superficially cerebral films written by lib arts majors trying to trick people into thinking this is hard scifi when it isn't

It briefly touches upon sapir whorf but the film gives no treatment to how she acquires the language. It's all very handwavy grand concept shit
>>
>>79165321
>trying to trick people into thinking this is hard scifi
That's the marketing fault for making a trailer like that, because you can't sell a movie about a mother-daughter relationship just like that.
And it's your fault for watching a movie with hard preconceived expectations of what it should be about

>the film gives no treatment to how she acquires the language
It doesn't matter, that's only a plot device for the actual narrative.
And if Villeneuve how does one exactly acquire the knowledge of a non-linear language then I'm sure he wouldn't be making films.

I bet you asked "but HOW did they actually harness gravity??" in Interstellar threads
protip: it doesn't matter at all
>>
>>79165292
That's not how it was depicted working at all. The aliens, and now her because of the language can perceive time simultaneously, they don't just see the car running you over, they see everything that led up to it, their entire lives, all 70 or 80 years of it.
>>
>>79165025
Yeah, Contact and that film with nicholas cage about the solar flare. And some Slaughterhouse V thrown in.

Though Contact was done much better. The protagonist struggled with the reconciliation of faith and rationality throughout her entire life. Whereas with this film the concept of seeing simultaneous time as beneficial was simply foisted upon her in a "hey this is pretty neato" moment.
>>
File: fhd996idy_kiersten_warren_003.jpg (310KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
fhd996idy_kiersten_warren_003.jpg
310KB, 1920x816px
It bugged me how all the civilians were like "hurr durr alien invasion. nuke them!"
Meanwhile in Independence Day they were like "Oh aliens, welcome to planet earth! hurr durr!"
>>
>>79165483
additionally, an interesting thing to note, the aliens don't see all of time, they just see what they would see throughout their lives, so that means the aliens have either several thousand year long lifespans or are immortal. i thought that was neat.
>>
>>79165704

Trump's America
>>
File: 1484263986265.png (260KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484263986265.png
260KB, 620x640px
So how did she teach them words like "Why" and "Purpose"?
>>
File: 03b.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
03b.png
108KB, 400x381px
>alien comes to earth scene
>some scientist/politicians bring up native americans/aboriginals analogy

Why do they still do this? They can cross galaxies. I'm pretty sure they could annhilate us all in an instant instead of pretending to be nice giving us some alien equivalent of pox ridden blankets.

Why don't they bring up how humans try to preserve endangered species?
>>
>>79165055
Not the guy you're talking to but think of it like this,
>meets ayys
>starts studying language
>learns more about language through sessions with ayys
>language opens time, so she is gradually affected by it
>at some point she sees her future, where she's presumably spent years learning and developing the language
>now knows the language much better before the fact

It's a time loop and a paradox, but a logical one. It's kicked into effect when she comes into contact with the ayys and the point is that she always would have learned and wrote the book on the language because she's a linguist and is passionate about that kind of thing; her being helped by her future and knowing it better before she should is where the paradox begins but makes total sense -under the circumstances- because from this point she was always going to learn the language anyway. The film was pretty clear about it desu senpai.
>>
>>79165718
Couldn't they communicate with a young alien (called bob) who will live for a long time, Bob remembers his future self in his old age Bob communicates with another young alien who will have future memories stretching even further in time. This could all be communicated back through each being.

As a culture they would have knowledge of all time, as long as their race existed.
>>
File: tmg-article_tall.jpg (14KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
tmg-article_tall.jpg
14KB, 640x426px
The wife's last words scene felt unnatural.

The general is acting more like an agent in a dream sequence then an actual person. Did he suddenly felt compelled to spew nonsense to aid the heroine in her quest? Did he suddenly have an fourth wall breaking epiphany that he's a support character in a sci-fi film?

If the general learned the language some time in the future then he should know why he's telling her all this.
>>
The most annoying part about this movie and movies like this is all the hamfisted "IT'S TOO DANGEROUS!! YOU ARE BREAKING PROTOCOL!!

SEE? INNER STRUGGLE WITH HUMANS, NOT JUST ALIENS!"

Fucking bullshit that is in every fucking Sci Fi movie, padding out a movie by 20 minutes or so full of nonsensical nonthematic screaming.

Like fuck that shit just give me the damn point
>>
>>79165483
The point is that, regardless of any changes of mind or decisions, you will only ever have one future. You can see your future, and it doesn't matter how much you zig zag around, you always end up in the same future.

Think of it like this. You see yourself as president, right? So from this point forward, it doesn't matter what decisions you try to make against it because it's the future, and if it wasn't you wouldn't have seen it. If you'd decided to change the future and become a music teacher then you'd have seen yourself as a music teacher and never seen yourself as the president because it would never go on to become the future.

Once you've seen a point in the future it cannot be changed, whatever decisions you make, you were always going to make them to get to that point otherwise you wouldn't have seen it, you'd see something different.

I'm doing a shit job of explaining this but do you get what I mean?
>>
>>79165875
There was no learning the language from the future. There was a part in the film after the first couple of contacts where Ratner's character say's they've been at this for a month.

There were more contacts after this. There were large chuncks of time cut from this film. It'd played out over a longer time than you think.
>>
>>79165875
>language opens time
>It's a time loop and a paradox, but a logical one.

wrong, kys. she seen the language aka circles and swirrls written down and then suddenly had unexplained 'flash backs' to the future just by looking at the language that the aliens wrote. it was nonsense.
>>
>>79165943
"So hang on, this is just because they fed the crab silicon?"
>>
File: p19587_p_v8_ab.jpg (270KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p19587_p_v8_ab.jpg
270KB, 960x1440px
>female protagonist
>loved one dies in initial scene
>disgruntled employee sabotages everything and sets them back

anything else
>>
Everything wrong with this movie was becuase a shitty screenwriter and yet he got an oscar nomination, while all the changes from their screenplay to good were made by Villeneuve.

fuck this shit.
>>
>>79166098
Is that supposed to be a reference to something? I don't get it.
>>
>>79161109
or just taking off the suits to talk to the ayys
>>
>tfw parents didn't teach you ithkuil during your critical language acquisition period and now it's too late to learn it
>could've been a 300 iq savant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithkuil
>>
File: Speaker_dead_cover.jpg (37KB, 257x400px) Image search: [Google]
Speaker_dead_cover.jpg
37KB, 257x400px
Still waiting for a good first contact film with humans as the superior race. (no avatar doesn't count)
>>
>>79166095
You're an idiot. Throughout the film before said flashback they'd already learned a shitload about the language. The flashforward to the future was just to illustrate a point.

Also the understanding of the language opens time. Literally the entire premise of the movie, said explicitly by alien during the scene where she makes the realisation and puts all the pieces together.

If you're going to argue points about a film, watch it first.
>>
>>79166095
What's wrong with a logical paradox? Imagine blue portal on the floor and a yellow one on the ceiling. Someone drops an apple into the blue portal, thus starting a paradox with a logical conception.

Suspension of disbelief notwithstanding, of course.
>>
>>79166197
why doesn't avatar count
also how does this book hold up against the first, i've only read that.
>>
>>79166274
How would that be a paradox?
>>
>>79166338
The point the apple starts falling is where it becomes a paradox. Starts where it ends, goes on forever. It's the very definition of a paradox.
>>
>>79166310
Avatar doesn't count because it takes place much later after first contact, right into the exploitation stage. And it's more of a pocahontas in space.

Speaker of the Dead is the book card originally wanted to write, Ender was the set up. It's not a YA-ish book like Ender/bean's series. It gets into quite a bit about the kind of anthropocentric biases involved when dealing with a new civilization.
>>
>>79165943
heh, thats literally how the immortals in the first fifteen lives of harry august communicate with the future. damn good book btw if you can get past the boring first 50 or 100 pages.
>>
>>79166376
Ya I also don't see how that is a paradox. A paradox is something that contradicts itself.

A portal like that wouldn't be a paradox, it's just some crazy matter-manipulating sci-fi
>>
>>79166454
>harry august
Never heard of it, sounds good though, I'll give it a try sometime. Ta
>>
>>79166376
>starts where it ends

So does a race. Is racing a paradox?

>goes on forever

Goes on as long as the portals are powered and nothing gets in the way of the apple. The only unrealistic thing about this scenario are the portals themselves since we have no technology like that and not a clue how it could ever be done. It probably can't. But there's no LOGICAL problem with the scenario.
>>
>>79166455
The subject was a temporal paradox or time loop, so my example was to illustrate that if such a paradoxical loop has a valid inception then it's entirely logical.
>>
>>79166517
see
>>79166629
>>
File: 1458715633989.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1458715633989.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>79156460
>Memes aside
>>
File: 1486151080846.png (7KB, 532x535px) Image search: [Google]
1486151080846.png
7KB, 532x535px
I wish they would stop overusing Max Richter in film scores. It's getting tedious and they always pick the sappiest, most leaden composition "On the nature of daylight" see also Stranger than Fiction, Waltz with Bashir, Shutter Island and bunch of fugging tv shows.
>>
>>79166629
I don't see how an apple continuously pulled down by gravity is in any way similar to someone learning a language by already having learned it in the future. For one thing, time isn't involved in the portal example at all, yet time is the whole problem with the original scenario.
>>
>>79164360
this, also

>america being the good guy

really hollywood, really?
>>
>>79166904
Are you autistic or just being obtuse for the sake of being argumentative? It's plain as day what was meant by the comparison.
>>
>>79156460
I enjoyed it.
>>
>>79159450
This, the entire premise is fucking retarded
>Ayyliums travel who knows how many light years to reach Earth to get help for the future where they get fucked up
>This mission is so important, they send multiple ships across the planet to ensure they communicate with someone, although technically they should know Abbot and Costello are the successful ones in making contact
>Land their ships in random spots, wait and do nothing, while a hatch opens once every 18 hrs for people to come up, but they need equipment to even get inside the ship.

Honestly, just as dumb as the entire bomb scenario.
>>
>>79166904
the apple is never pulled down by gravity

it's standing still
>>
>>79166681
>anime image
? ? ?
>>
>>79167922
What? If there's one portal on the floor and another on the ceiling then an apple that goes in the floor portal would fall out of the ceiling, into the floor and so on forever. It wouldn't stand still. Are you retarded?
>>
>>79167029
Careful, people are put on the stake for less here
>>
>>79156972
There kind of is. Isn't the first monologue "I don't believe in beginnings anymore"?
>>
>>79156460
mediocre sci fi film
aliens were cool
5/10
>>
>>79168503
Please be trolling

>this is the result of american public education
>>
>>79156460
Interesting setup, shit ending and execution.
>>
>>79168586
Explain why you think the apple would hover in place. Go ahead, retard.
>>
>>79166114
this movie is fantastic tho
>>
>>79168629
>hover in place

Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
>>79168671
It is. So is Arrival, but a bit less
>>
>>79156460
The film wasn't shit but the source material was so fucking stupid it's surprising the movie managed to be half interesting.
>>
File: retard.png (16KB, 553x575px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
16KB, 553x575px
>>79168695
Just admit that you're wrong. It's okay, we've all been wrong about something at some point. It happens. Just own up to it now and don't embarrass yourself further.

>Imagine blue portal on the floor and a yellow one on the ceiling. Someone drops an apple into the blue portal

Let me draw you a graphic real quick.
>>
File: 1477194228859.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477194228859.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>79168792
at least contact does not have that disgusting blue depressive inducing filter and a retarded military conflict

also contact has my favorite dyke waifu in it
>>
What i don't get it why all of these reviewers are saying this movie is about characters and is very "human."

Louise isn't much of a character and Jeremy Renner's character gets fewer lines than the 1-dimensional colonel, and there's no charisma between Renner and Adams. The extent of Louise's character exploration is that she would have her kid even knowing her kid would die, and that singular point doesn't take an entire movie to get to or discuss.
>>
>>79168891
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not the guy you were arguing with you autist and I'm not even talking about portals but about how gravity works. Learn some basic general relativity you retard.
>>
File: 1327887075339.jpg (44KB, 444x544px) Image search: [Google]
1327887075339.jpg
44KB, 444x544px
>>79168936
Contact is the better film.
>>
>>79169496
she didnt choose to have the kid. she had no choice in the matter
>>
>>79156460
>pretty good visual
>plot is cheap interstellar rip-off
>literally nothing interesting happens
6/10 only for actors and visual. Boring and generic as possible.
>>
>>79169629
yeah not enough fight scenes for sure!
>>
>>79169594
Ok but she accepted it.

Anyway, all I'm saying is there wasn't any other element of character development. pretty disappointing.
>>
>>79169753
she lied to the general guy with a story about kangaroos. that probably counts as character development
>>
>>79169496
The whole movie is about Amy Adams character and her relationship with life/death and appreciating every waking moment of it.
The camera is set from her point of view or it's a heavy close up of her face for 50% of the damn movie.

The ayylmao's and the science were only the setting where the actual narrative takes place in, .
>>
>>79162751
underrated
>>
>>79169578
Another post with no content, no message, no information. Great job.

>the apple is never pulled down by gravity
>it's standing still

Is this your post, yes or no? If no then it's pretty apparent you simply didn't follow the discussion so you shouldn't drop in on it. If yes, then we ARE talking about the portal example and you're a liar on top of being an idiot.
>>
>>79165704
Paranoia is deep within us since the 9/11. After all, LOST is the most popular tv show
>>
>>79169850
>The whole movie is about Amy Adams character and her relationship with life/death and appreciating every waking moment of it.

I don't see this. If anything, the time stuff undermines her character. She isn't a grieving mother during most of the movie. Her grief in the flash-forwards isn't explored in the present, or if it is, it isn't explored with the idea that she was ever "growing."

Through the whole movie she is basically "above" the death of her child. She is sad about it, but she doesn't grieve. From the first flash-forward, she is already enlightened about the suffering she will go through. If the movie had been about the process of reaching that enlightenment, it might have said something interesting.
>>
File: 1423854311.png (190KB, 592x385px) Image search: [Google]
1423854311.png
190KB, 592x385px
>a new sci-fi film comes out
>/tv/ turns into experienced quantum physics experts

And never actually discussing the movie, I love it.
The fast rotational supermassive black hole experts in Interstellar threads were the best.
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.