[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the prequels are so bad, then why are they more interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

If the prequels are so bad, then why are they more interesting and memorable than the OT?
>>
Because to normies any movie that isn't quip-action is bad.
>>
>>79153024
Memorable? Sure because they're so bad you can't forget the awfulness
Interesting? hell no
>>
>>79153024
Being in a car crash is more memorable than a pleasant drive to the beach, that doesn't mean it's a better experience.
>>
>>79153024
>dat 90's kid who can't handle the fact the prequels are just shit but needs to knock the OT down in order to preserve his childhood nostalgia
Sad!
>>
File: 1451278053216.png (743KB, 1062x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1451278053216.png
743KB, 1062x1166px
The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
8. "The Force Awakens"

Episode 7 isn't even a Star Wars movies. It is a Marvel flick masquerading as one.
>>
>its memorable if you can make ebin memez out of it
delete urself

I liked ep1
>>
>>79153024
you're an idiot
>>
For the same reason that Sunshine is better than 64
>>
File: BlueHarvestPoster.jpg (511KB, 1000x1463px) Image search: [Google]
BlueHarvestPoster.jpg
511KB, 1000x1463px
>>79153024
>>79153067
this..plus OT have entered popular culture so much that theyve become diluted and a boring cliche at this point..the prequels have the opposite problem, where their concentrated stench makes them be remembered much more..
>>
>>79153024
Indeed. The incessant meme that is being perpetuated in popular culture is just the result of coming to terms with how majestically grand the prequels actually are. Imagine something being so out of line in terms of how big and great it is that the pendulum that is the reaction people have toward it swings on the other end of the spectrum in order not to receive a system shock. It's relieving to give in to peer pressure so the one's feeble mind does not fail completely. The path of least resistance has always proved to be the best remedy for a mind and intellect that is not yet ready to grasp the full extent of glory. Just wait OP until evolution has weeded out this gene that accounts for this behavior and humanity will finally see behind the blinding curtain that is reddit what ingenuity they unfortunately missed out on in eons past.
>>
>>79153105
Is this pasta or does someone actually have this shit of taste?
>>
>>79153024
My sentiment exactly.
>star wars 4
George Lucas is the master of oversimplification. All the characters in Star Wars are terribly black and white and not a single one even remotely leans towards the second dimension. The cheap trick to use plain text as exposition for the upcoming events is a slap in the face of cinema. The entire purpose of film is to convey stories through dialogue and images.Lucas doesn't get that.His writing skills are pre-school.
>star wars 5
The most over rated movie of all time. Pseudo nerds will have you believing that george lucas ruined this movie that was once so great even though they probably didnt even see the original version until after the new ones came out. You can find these geek posers at your local comic cons repeating everything plinkett says wearing there han shot first shirt thinking they sound like they know what there talking about, but take it from me these movies are on par with bollywood scifi shit dont waste your time.
>star wars 6
Let's see, for an adventure, the pacing is mostly off, with lots of periods where nothing happens, and even the action scenes are nothing special. The plot also seems fairly contrived. Say, since this is the final battle between good and evil and all that, the emperor's preparations seem fairly rushed. You'd expect more care to have been taken in keeping that shield intact, for example. Also, since his grand scheme is to turn Luke Skywalker to the dark side of the force, isn't he trying to kill him too soon after Luke offers some resistance?
>>
File: tattoine-625x276.jpg (31KB, 625x276px) Image search: [Google]
tattoine-625x276.jpg
31KB, 625x276px
>>79153105
cliched characters? it was so memorable because they made use of ARCHETYPES (hero's journey) to perfection in a unique setting with stunning special effect never seen at the time
>>
>>79153024
They're not though. Your mind has been clouded by memes.
>>
File: 1454452296691.png (658KB, 1153x813px) Image search: [Google]
1454452296691.png
658KB, 1153x813px
The prequels are infused with a bold vision of artistic profundity that eclipses the likes of generic sci-fi movies of recent times. The streamlining process that has begun to creep into the production of every slightly sci-fi-y tinged movie has created an amorphous blob of mediocrity and blandness. The prequels deliver a basic premise of good vs. evil but do it so by utilizing characters that are endowed with humanity. Aside from the storytelling aspect the prequels stand strong on all fronts, from writing, cinematography and set pieces that truly immerse you into a fantastic world full of wonder and awe. It is infinitely unfortunate that this behemoth of a film project is marred by the majority of the populace's inability to assess the genius and lack of intelligence. One can only hope that in eons to come, evolution will have worked in ways as to ensure and maximize the distribution of the gene that thrives in the intellectual minority of our time so that future generations and civilizations will be able to grasp the grandeur of the prequels and see behind the masquerading illusion that is reddit.
>>
VI > V > I > III > IV > II >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disney
>>
File: 1462050592281.png (3MB, 3099x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1462050592281.png
3MB, 3099x1700px
It's not surprising that the same people who attack the prequels are always unversed in real film or anything artistic, and that the people who praise the prequels (Zizek, Paglia, Brody, etc) are always literate, educated, and versed in real film.

http://www.vice.com/read/camille-paglia-believes-that-revenge-of-the-sith-is-our-generations-greatest-work-of-art
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

The fact that everyone points to Plinkett as the authority on why the prequels are bad speaks volumes. Mike Stoklasa is one of the least artistic people on the planet - he can't process movies outside of the conventions of Hollywood films, his approach to narrative is tempered with the same surface-level requisites listed on tvtropes.

Any complaint that people have about the prequels illustrates a weak grasp on film. How many art films would they claim has 'too much sitting and talking'? They would watch the end of Breaking the Waves and whine about dated CGI. Their sensibilities for 'good dialogue' in what is intentionally pulp comes from bad pulp, ie, the original Star Wars, the only pulp they've ever seen. They would similarly view any homage-driven art film and miss the entire point.

Lucas' only mistake in the prequels was doing something daring, original, artistic and literate, not realizing that the manchildren conditioned by the original SW trilogy to loathe anything cerebral would lash out against his cinematic risks.
>>
>>79153024
>PT is more memorable than OT

You were born in the late 90's
>>
>>79153105
>>79153178
>>79153269
>>79153329
OP, please stop spamming.
>>
>>79153355
I remember seeing the rereleases in theaters as a kid. If only I'd known what they had done to them.
>>
>>79153397
It's just the obligatory meme copypastas.
>>
>>79153329
Well, here's the thing. Plinkett is absolutely correct in his assessment of the story of the prequels, that they don't work on a functional level. However that's not the be all end all in film, and the prequels are outstanding in just about every technical aspect of film - visual effects, special effects, production design, costuming, sound design, stuntwork, soundtrack. Not only that but they really paved the way for how blockbusters are made these days with the use of complete green screens and almost a complete reliance on CGI in many parts. Yet there were all financed independently - yes, the Star Wars prequels are the biggest independent films of all time.
>>
>>79153446
>the prequels are outstanding in just about every technical aspect of film - visual effects, special effects, production design, costuming, sound design, stuntwork, soundtrack.
I'll give you sound design, stuntwork and soundtrack but the visual effects have aged like milk. Jurassic Park came out years before The Phantom Menace and it has aged far better because Spielberg sparingly used CGI.
>Not only that but they really paved the way for how blockbusters are made these days with the use of complete green screens and almost a complete reliance on CGI in many parts.
So we should be thankful that they paved the way for shit? I can't think of any great blockbusters that completely rely on CGI.
>>
File: palpatine.jpg (373KB, 900x1326px) Image search: [Google]
palpatine.jpg
373KB, 900x1326px
>>79153024

The prequels are good because they follow the legitimate government (the galactic republic) and the separatists are seen as the terrorists they are.

The original movies, the sequels, and Rogue One all follow the rebel terrorists who traitorously oppose their legitimate government. Perhaps if these new movies followed the perspective of the empire instead they could be good too.

But even then why should a sequel to episode three even be made? Any sequel to episode three would only ruin the happy ending established by the prequels. Palpatine rose to absolute power and the jedi filth were eradicated from the galaxy. It can't get any better then that.
>>
>>79153165
God that was so awful.
>>
>>79153024
The whole series is a rip-off of Dune.
>>
I liked ep1 and 2.

Especially 2 desu

Oh well
>>
>>79153198
>shit taste
Obviously couldn't come up with an actual response and resorted to damage control. Sad.
>>
>>79153226
> original trilogy characters: clichés
>new trilogy characters: well thought out unique individuals
>>
>>79153037
Any Star Wars movie that isn't quip-action is bad. The franchise is built on quips. You take them away and it has nothing.
>>
>>79153024
Actually I can remember every scene of the OT even after going years of not seeing it. The Prequels, there are tons and tons of boring dialogue conversations with vanilla camera shots. These are all very forgettable. I like the prequels, but if you understand anything about stories or film making, you will understand why the prequels are not as good. Now, you might be like me and saw the prequels in theaters when you were young. Those experiences are some of my most memorable theater experiences no doubt. But then again, I was watching the OT since I was 3 years old.
>>
File: ebglvjvfyplx.jpg (23KB, 584x570px) Image search: [Google]
ebglvjvfyplx.jpg
23KB, 584x570px
>>79153024
You memba when C-3PO was thrown around a droid assembly factory? I memba
>>
>>79157486
I don't remember mentats, spice, sandworms, space jihad or kwisatz haderaches in Star Wars tho
>>
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?
>>
The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
8. "The Force Awakens"

Episode 7 isn't even a Star Wars movies. It is a Marvel flick masquerading as one.
>>
>>79153024
Because every scene without exception is fucking garbage.

If I had a nice day I probably wouldn't remember it as well as a total shit one.
>>
Did Lucas make Disney sign an agreement that they wouldn't remake the PT? Even though I don't like the new Star Wars movies I think Disney could make a better prequel trilogy than Lucas did.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.