[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does he make the same movie and over again? >August 32nd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: 22.jpg (23KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
23KB, 600x316px
Why does he make the same movie and over again?

>August 32nd on Earth is about women wanting to have a child
>Maelstrom is about women getting an abortion and consequences of it
>Polytechnique is about misogynistic school shooting that ends up with the main character having a baby as a film's main message
>Incendies is about discovering who the father is and motherhood
>Prisoners is about mother kidnapping kids to avenge the son's death
>Enemy is about a man with his pregnant wife and the plot ensues because of that
>Sicario is about a guy who wants revenge for the death of his wife and daughter. The movie ends with a widow with his kid implying some "subtle" message of the film
>Arrival is essentially about a kid and parents who both are main characters of the film

What the fuck? And it's not like he writes all of these films. Most of them weren't written by him. Does he have mommy issues? Will Blade Runner be about fucking pregnancy too?
>>
In b4 Blade Runner will explore the consecuences of the first Nexus giving Birth
>>
>>79147154
It better to make films that have something that you have a personal connection too. It more genuine that way.

Have you not heard of dishonest filmmaking?
>>
>>79147259
Yeah but then it becomes predictable. Literally predicted the whole plot of the arrival without reading the short story or watching the trailer. I knew the film story after 30 seconds of the film

I had the same problem with Sicario and I think Villeneuve big theme are Women in general. Patriarchy, Feminism, Motherhood. It really becomes predictable

Some filmakers use the same story like scorsese but don't use them for every film. He has a diverse range of films with different set of stories.

I really want to be wrong about Blade Runner but this might have the same themes.
>>
>>79147154
Most directors have a reoccurring theme in their films if you look hard enough.
For example, Nolan loves killing off female characters to motivate the main protagonists for some reason

Memento
>A man with amnesia is obsessed with finding the killer of his beautiful wife

Insomnia
>A detective plays a cat and mouse game with the killer of a beautiful young girl

The Prestige
>A magician engages in a bitter rivalry with a former friend he blames for the death of his beautiful young wife

The Dark Knight
>The lives of a masked vigilante and a district attorney are shattered when the woman they both love is killed

Inception
>A dream thief struggles with the crushing guilt of his wife’s suicide

Following
>features a beautiful dead girl as a final twist
>>
>>79147775
>Most directors have a reoccurring theme in their films if you look hard enough.
Maybe fucking hacks.

Feel free to cite someone other than Nolan. I'd say this is confined to Nolan and Villeneuve
>>
>>79147154
>Parenthood is a thing for normies

Catch urself outside of ur room once in a while, how bow dah?
>>
>>79147775

Nolan is a closet homo.
>>
>>79147775
I'm not saying it's not just villenueve who does that, I'm saying that it really becomes predictable when you do the same thing over and over again.

Also you forgot Interstellar which is about WIDOWED main character, so your point still stands.
>>
>>79147924
Where did I say that? I'm fine with directors using motherhood/parenthood as a film's main theme but don't do this every single time.
>>
>>79147931
Nolan definitely has shit taste in women. Most of the women he casts are fucking ugly, the worst is WELL HELLO BEAUTIFUL
>>
And Polanski makes movies about sexual repression, Hitchcock's about paranoia and the Coen brothers can't stop with the irony and nihilism. Congrats on figuring out your first director theme, dumbass.
>>
>>79148054
Also not one sexual scene in his whole filmography.
>>
>>79148143
what a faglord
>>
>>79148114
explain to me how The Pianist, Macbeth, Pirates, Frantic, Oliver Twist and his other films are about sexual repression

not saying you're right, but he does not do it with EVERY film. That's my point, "dumbass".
>>
>>79147882
Who's your favorite director?
>>
>>79148226
nolan worked with hugh jackman, arguably the most famous came of "in the closet" in hollywood. Probably fucked him in the ass between the takes.
>>
>>79147882
Lynch the dream man, Tarkovsky the memory of a moment man, Haneke the western culture is bad man, Kubrick the authority and human nature man, Snyder buff dudes fighting man
>>
>>79147775
if you google hard enough through circa-interstellar interviews with him you should find one where I read him saying he often uses dead wives and fathers separated from their children in his films because they're some of his worst fears, and he's very much influenced by horror cinema in subtle ways (the way he presents Mal to the audience in Inception and films the drowning/cloning elements of The Prestige being the most obvious examples)

I really want to see Nolan make a horror movie, especially one set in the 18th century or suchlike historical period
>>
>>79148682
He should do Devil in the White City. He's worked well with DiCaprio in the past, and it seems like Scorsese is never gonna get around to it
>>
>>79148379
Nolan isn't gay, he just has Aspergers
he even keeps his own flask of tea on set separate from all the catering and refuses to let anyone, even Michael Caine, keep a copy of their script unaccompanied by him

it's why his films feel so emotionally and socially (i.e. dialogue) stilted despite being proficient in most other areas
>>
>>79147154
Americans love that shit.

Nearly all """deep""" sci-fi movies nowadays are about childbirth, parenthood, loss (of children), etc.

>Arrival
>Gravity
>Interstellar

Fuck off with your shitty little kids. No one cares. This is not science fiction.
>>
>>79148838
They all read the same stupid screenwriting book, and now they're convinced that they NEED to shoehorn in extraneous details about the main character's family, or else they're not doing "proper character development"
>>
>>79148838
>i want my sci-fi movies to be about REAL science, who cares about human connections

Protip: every acclaimed sci-fi movie is not about the science, the science is only the setting where the actual story takes place in
>>
>>79148883
It's not even that - The "woes of parenthood" are made the whole theme of the movies. The story and sci-fi elements are all just there as a backdrop for some sappy tale about having children, raising children, leaving children or losing children. It's so fucking tacky and shallow it drives me absolutely insane.
Science fiction can be so much more.
>>
>>79148838
>Interstellar
parenthood doesn't have any thematic relevance in Interstellar though, it just provides the impetus for the character to continue when otherwise he'd probably just kill himself before the halfway mark

the primary theme of Interstellar is transhumanism and Nolan's own optimistic believe that mankind can transcend the limitations of his own biology and evolutionary instinct

give it another watch and focus this time on the duality between Mann and Romilly; for starters, the two are 'introduced' to the audience at the same time even though we don't see one of them until much later in the film

it's not necessarily kino but I think it's a much smarter movie than most people here gave it credit for and there's more than enough for an academic to sink his/her teeth into

P.S. Insomnia is the most important Nolan movie, it's his Jackie Brown
>>
>>79148942
Of course, but when the science fiction part of it is nothing but a backdrop for 100% mundane shit, it's completely pointless.

The whole idea of science fiction is to create plausible (/impossible) scenarios which helps us explore sides of humanity which we don't have to consider in our daily lives. Childbirth is NOT a worthy topic, and does NOT require fictitious science to be explained.
>>
>>79148968
Please list some of your favorite sci-fi movies
>>
>>79149056
>The whole idea of science fiction is to create plausible (/impossible) scenarios which helps us explore sides of humanity which we don't have to consider in our daily lives.

Like what Arrival and Interstellar exactly did?
What are you arguing against?
>>
The real debate:
Who's more Dishonest, Villehack or Chackzelle
>>
>>79149146
Take Arrival, for example.
Sure, there's a whole story about aliens and how to communicate with them, complete with some time-bending twist.
But then it turns out, that it was all a complicated way of saying "I WOULD CHOSE TO HAVE A BABY EVEN IF I COULD SOMEHOW KNOW IT WOULD DIE BEFORE IT COULD GROW UP"

The whole thing seems like a contrived argument in the abortion discussion, and that really shits on the interesting part, which is humanity's encounter with the philosophical "other".
>>
>>79149216
chackzelle but it's close. he's only done two movies, but he's still the bigger hack because of la la land.
>>
>>79148773
scorsese is not gonna die that fast you silly goose, he's going to outlive fucking stan lee
>>
>>79149216
>>79149264
what does dishonest mean? I know it's a fresh hot new /tv/ meme but I still don't get it
>>
>>79149261
for me the worst part of Arrival was the questionable ethics, why would you have a child knowing it was going to have a short, shitty life and die horribly?
>>
>>79147775
Nolan is a virgin and his only understanding of emotion is melodrama.
>>
>>79149316
basically appearing as an "honest" or "fresh" or "creative" or "breath of fresh air" film that is just a rehash of older, better films.
see:
la la land
arrival
interstellar
etc.
>>
>>79147154
Blade Runner is already about kids, to some extent.

>I want more life, father.
>>
>>79149261
Villeneuve explicitly said multiple times that the movie is not about "pro-life" but Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it.

Every sci-fi movie is like that, Blade Runner is also a movie about what it means to be human set in a sci-fi setting, the sci-fi setting is only a tool to propell the actual narrative.
In fact, not just sci-fi, but every movie uses it's setting just as a tool for the story.
>>
>>79149343
Because she already loved her (just like her daughter loved her) by "remembering" the future and thought the time and moments spent with her are worth living.

That's what the movie is about, appreciating every waking moment of your life.

Thinking that she had a "shitty life" is just your headcanon
>>
>>79149389
But nolan has 4 kids. Are you implying he's raising his wife's children?
>>
>>79149544
kinda funny that the dude left her after she told him she knew their kid would die

was he reasonable? what made him leave her really?
>>
>>79149442
>Blade Runner is also a movie about what it means to be human set in a sci-fi setting
Yes, and Arrival is about sending a message that having a child and loving it for a few years before it dies is better than not letting the child live at all - The science fiction is incidental and unrelated.
>>
Using "time travel" or being able to "see into the future/past" is
just
plain
fucking
lazy
writing

It doesn't make the connections more profound. Goddamn deus ex machina bullshit.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.