[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's a Sam spergs the fuck out over semantics and derails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 39

File: tw7r69L0.jpg (104KB, 898x893px)
tw7r69L0.jpg
104KB, 898x893px
>it's a Sam spergs the fuck out over semantics and derails the whole conversation episode
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gdpyzwOOYY
>>
>>79093244

Semantics are kind of important.

What did you expect? Him and Peterson to fellate each other over dumb SJWs?
>>
>expecting substance from a pedantic hack like Sam
>>
File: sad_prof_peterson.jpg (30KB, 429x617px) Image search: [Google]
sad_prof_peterson.jpg
30KB, 429x617px
>FUCKING TRANNIES TRYING TO REDEFINE THE TRUTH ITS LIKE ANODDAH SHOAH HERE REEEEE

>btw truth is subjective, read the Bible :3

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1433581057822.jpg (79KB, 616x345px) Image search: [Google]
1433581057822.jpg
79KB, 616x345px
>giving a shit about Sam Harris
>>
What the fuck has this to do with films
>>
>>79093364
I expected them to move on after one hour of unproductive debate as Jordan tried repeatedly.
>>
>>79093244

Too much meditation gave him autism.
>>
>>79093431

Damn, did Zizek really say this? Truly /ourguy/
>>
>>79093431
Big Ziz probably doesn't even know who Harris is
>>
>>79093450

He was trying to move on because he couldn't make a convincing argument.
>>
File: 1420954877548.jpg (45KB, 480x309px) Image search: [Google]
1420954877548.jpg
45KB, 480x309px
>>79093244
Truly thought provoking
>>
>>79093491

dam did he rlly say this???/
>>
>>79093426
>religion, especially christianity is true!
>i just need to redefine the words religion, truth, and christianity first though.

And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology he doesn't have any evidence for. Literally the only reason anybody cares about Peterson is that he opposed SJW's.
>>
>>79093426
So, does he actually believe in god and the bible or does he just assume it to be the right thing to do in his bastardized view of truth?
This is confusing as hell, especially since he normally when talking about religion doesn't preface it with a 30 minute explenation of how he defines truth.
>>
>>79093516
>Literally the only reason anybody cares about Peterson is that he opposed SJW's.

This
>>
>>79093486
His world view is very messed up, but you can't really argue axioms. There's no point in it.
>>
>>79093561
There's also a new group of retards who fell for the Jugnian horoscope-psychology meme he pedals
>>
>>79093486
No it was because the two men are so different in their outlook that this could not be reconciled, and if the conversation could go anywhere it had to move on.

Sam being the smart scientist but social idiot couldn't let it go without a resolution. Hence Peterson trying in vain to get off the fucking subject multiple times but Sam just couldn't let it go.
The autist.
>>
>tfw to intelligent to like Islam
>>
>>79093244
I'm sorry, what is this in reference to?
>>
>>79093542
first he redefines truth so that anything that's morally correct is considered "true" regardless of facts, if it's morally ambigious he falls back on the definition of truth everybody else uses. So if you asked him "is it true that event X happened?" you wouldn't know if he's making a statement about morality or fact when he answers.

secondly he redefines religion so that everything he doesn't like about it isn't "really" religion, see: idiot communists arguing that real communism has never been attempted.

he then makes the unsuported claim that religion is an evolutionary adaption and is what keeps humanity alive, and therefore by a practial morality is morally correct.

in summary he makes two large and pointless redefinitions of words and a claim about biology he has no evidence for to arrive at "christianity is true".

The only thing he really achievs is confuse the fuck out of everyone that listens to him because he's really bad at clarifying his redifinitions.
>>
>>79093678
Sam v Peterson the podcast.
Watch in awe as two men argue semantics for an hour and a half. Sam's best argument for a determinism viewpoint was that conversation.
>>
>muh metaphysics!
>you don't see the full picture!
>macro, not micro!
>lemme tell you about Gulag Archipelago!
>nazi! KGB!
>truth is whatever I say it is!
>free speech!
>christianity!
>perfect man!
Liberal arts was a mistake
>>
>>79093511
The very fact you think he said this is the reason we need MORE people like Harris.

The 21st century has seen a concerted push for the celebration of ignorance. Knowing nothing is the new intelligent.

Mock Harris all you like. But if all you have to replace him is your own stupidity, then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>79093689
And all that efford just so he doesn't have to admit to himself that his parents and their community were idiots who indoctrinated him into a unsubstantiated nonsensical cult.
>>
>>79093843
Funny how he considers himself anti-postmodernist
>>
>>79093848
i don't know, i don't like to speculate about motives.
the important part is that his arguments are confusing and when you finally understand them they are shit.
>>
>>79093445
Well there is no YouTube specific board
>>
Why would we need people like Sam Harris when these ancient Jewish storybooks explain everything so well already?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew

>modern """"""""""""""""""""""""philosophy"""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>79093244
I like sam harris, but he goes off the rails sometimes
>>
Peterson's university lectures are on youtube and they're pretty good
>>
>>79093516
>And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology

>saying this while trying to defend SJW tranny demisexual otherkin propaganda

really made me go "hmmmm"
>>
Based Ben 'Nuke The Islam Pham' Stiller
>>
It's not about semantics at all though, they have extremely different definitions on "truth" and their outlook on society and ethics is very much based on those. So if they can't agree on something that basic there is no real point in discussing anything else since their arguments (just like the definitions) would be on radically different levels.
>>
Why do people hate Sam Harris so much?

I have only read his blog posts and some podcast about ISIS, but he seems fairly rational and innocuous. Is it because he criticizes people from both the left and the right?
>>
>>79094077
>Why do people hate Sam Harris so much?

because he bitches about semantics instead of focusing on the actual ideas being discussed. Its a really dressed up version of the faggot that thinks saying "ad hominem" means he automatically wins the argument.
>>
>>79094066
>if you're against petersons religion you must be for the SJWs!

no, he and them are both idiots who use the same kinds of shitty arguments.
>>
>>79094139
>because he bitches about semantics instead of focusing on the actual ideas being discussed.
it was Peterson who wanted to pointlessly redefine "truth" for 2 hours, don't blame Harris for that. Peterson could totally express his ideas using already established terms about morality and human fitness but he's so assblasted he just has to make "truth" into a confusing mess before he's ready to go on.
>>
>>79093244
literally who
>>
>>79094222
Richard Dawkins of our generation
>>
To be honest, I'm not interested in hearing either Harris or Peterson talk for any amount of time. Even less so when they're together.
>>
>>79094077
I love Sam Harris but he seems to be unable to have a conversation with people he disagrees with
>>
>>79093431
fuck žižek... can't even speak english properly
>>
>>79094073
He doesn't accept that there might be an equivocation between bombing a village with USAF plane and a suicide bombing that destroys that same village.
>>
>>79093426
>FUCKING TRANNIES TRYING TO REDEFINE THE TRUTH
No he's annoyed that they're defining WORDS, by themselves. AND that they could make up any word, on the spot, and demand that you use it to address them.

>>79093516
>And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology he doesn't have any evidence for.
Which claim is that? The claim that belief systems are all essentially the same from a psychological perspective? Because I'm pretty sure that claim is based on psychological testing. He conducts psychological tests y'know.

>>79093561
>>79093596
>I don't like it, therefore it's a meme

>>79094066
This

>>79094141
What shitty arguments does Peterson use then
>>
>>79093689
>he then makes the unsuported claim that religion is an evolutionary adaption and is what keeps humanity alive, and therefore by a practial morality is morally correct.
nice oversimplification faggot
>"christianity is true"
Where did he claim that?
>The only thing he really achievs is confuse the fuck out of everyone
fucking brainlets I swear

The only people that are against Peterson are fedora tippers and SJW marxists. His ideas are very accessible if you take some time to actually listen and understand what he's saying.
>>
>>79094073
I didn't listen to the whole thing because it's 2 fucking hours

But I would guess that Peterson thinks that what we *think* is true, or believe to be true, is important (since he's a psychologist)

Whereas I'm guessing Sam Harris thinks that truth is necessarily contingent on objective facts about the world, and it doesn't really matter what we think, since he's a "scientist"

Is it something along those lines?
>>
>>79094355
>Which claim is that? The claim that belief systems are all essentially the same from a psychological perspective? Because I'm pretty sure that claim is based on psychological testing. He conducts psychological tests y'know.
the claim that all religion is an evolutionary adpation that keeps us alive, which is the lynchpin that makes it morally correct under his definition of morality and therefore true under his stupid redefinition of truth. The evidence he brings up for this is shit like: good primate eyesight is corelated with the prevalence of poisonous snakes in their enviroment -> book of genesis, adam and eve with the snake.
>>
File: ben-affleck-is-an-ass.jpg (128KB, 1103x629px) Image search: [Google]
ben-affleck-is-an-ass.jpg
128KB, 1103x629px
>>79094077
>Is it because he criticizes people from both the left and the right?
Yes.

He is simultaneously against SJWs and the alt-right and especially on the internet people find that unacceptable, you have to be part of one of the two camps. Identity politics overrule independent rational thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7eVvph69Y
>>
>>79094400
>nice oversimplification faggot
stating something with more clarity != oversimplification.
just because peterson is incapable of describing his ideas without meandering and mumbling for 2 hours doesn't mean they are so complex you cannot express them in less time.

>Where did he claim that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBWblyAcPds
can't be arsed to find the timestamp because like i mentioned before it takes him forever to talk about this shit.

>if u dun liek him u marxist!
:^)
>>
File: howbowdahboi.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
howbowdahboi.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>
>>79094444
>He is simultaneously against SJWs and the alt-right and especially on the internet people find that unacceptable, you have to be part of one of the two camps. Identity politics overrule independent rational thinking.
it's kinda funny how the posts in this thread defending Peterson do so by accusing others of being marxists.
>>
>>79094407
Peterson = "everything that serves human or societal survival must be true"

Harris = "truth and values are totally different concepts and truth isn't based on Darwinism"
>>
His blue steel is better than Stiller's
>>
>>79094508
>stating something with more clarity != oversimplification.
but you are fucking wrong. "religion is an evolutionary adaptation" is such a stretch of what his actual ideas are, the only conclusions I can make is that you either didn't listen to him enough to understand, or you are a fucking brainlet. which one?

>can't be arsed to find the timestamp because like i mentioned before it takes him forever to talk about this shit.
but you can be arsed to shitpost for hours and attack his ideas which you get completely wrong on the internet, I wonder why
>>
>>79094701
>>but you are fucking wrong. "religion is an evolutionary adaptation" is such a stretch of what his actual ideas are, the only conclusions I can make is that you either didn't listen to him enough to understand, or you are a fucking brainlet. which one?

>you are wrong but i won't say how or in what way, that makes me right

good job kiddo
>>
>>79093426
Peterson is a hack.
>>
>>79093244
>"I'm no longer the smartest person in the room so now I'll get worked up and act like a child"
>>
File: 1485727523335.png (568KB, 874x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1485727523335.png
568KB, 874x1760px
>>79094077
He's not really rational. He thinks that he's invented a perfectly "rational" system of morality, but still cannot explain how it bridges the is-ought gap.
>>
Does Sam Harris have the post punch-able face ever? He is so fucking smug.
>>
>>79094805
>PhD in neuroscience and an accomplished writer
vs
>school professor with a patreon and youtube channel
kek
>>
>>79094854
B-but he is popular on sites like 4chan, the list goes on!
>>
>>79093244
>it's every episode
>>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, Noam Chomsky? I’ll have you know I graduated with a PhD in neuroscience, and I’ve been involved in numerous thought experiments, and I have over 300 confirmed psychedelic trips. I am trained in fMRI research and I’m the top philosopher in the entire Western hemisphere. You are nothing to me but just another regressive. I will wipe you the fuck out with my magic wand, the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words (in context). You think you can get away with PC propaganda on the internet? Think again, Noam. As we speak I am contacting my secret cult of Harrisites across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call "free will". I can email you anywhere, anytime, and you can take me out of context in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just by quoting me. Not only am I extensively trained in religious debate, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Project Reason and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little Marxist. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little regressive leftist comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn muslim apologist.
>>
>>79093542
Jungian style Diest.
>>
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up nuke my name is sam but u can call me t3h a1heIst oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very rational!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet rational ppl like me _… im 49 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 write ab0ut nuking muslims w/ my girlfreind (im a philosopher if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favourite form of racism !!! bcuz its SOOOO rational!!!! shes rational 2 of course but i want 2 meet more rational ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 profile alot of brown people here so give me lots of commentses!!!! ISLAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein rational again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waterboarding,

t3h a1heIst oF d00m!!
>>
>>79094751
watch his lectures
>>
>>79094577
>everything that serves human or societal survival must be true

That doesn't even make sense
>>
I had no idea Sam Harris has his own internet defense force until today. Or is that unstoppable guy is working overtime?
>>
>>79094822
I still can't understand why "terrorism can only be solved by killing them" is a controversial statement. He is not arguing for interventionism in the sense of forcing democracies in the middle east, just that in the specific case of groups like ISIS there is no convincing to be made and you can only kill them.
>>
>>79094907
Calm down your autism anon.
>>
File: persuasian man.jpg (282KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
persuasian man.jpg
282KB, 1920x1080px
>>79095004
Just use persuasion.
>>
>it's a Sam thinks Islam is a barbarian religion that given a chance would wipe out people like him and everyone he loves, but he still supports importing millions of them into western countries because he doesn't want to be called racist

What a hack
>>
>Jordan Peterson:
>Fucking marxists are horrible when they redefine truth to serve their purposes and claim that all those times communist states killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true communism.
>Now listen to met redefine truth to serve my own purposes and all those times religions killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true religion.
>>
>>79093491
how would that compare to lets say washington dc?
>>
>>79095070
>>Now listen to met redefine truth to serve my own purposes and all those times religions killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true religion.
I know, what a hypocrite. Let's wipe out Muslims to stop it from happening in the future. They are savages anyway.
>>
Say what you will about Sam but it's hard to deny that he must be one of the calmest people, even when he has good reason not to be calm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVl3BJoEoAU
>>
>>79095068
Does he really support that? After all that shit he says on Islam
>>
>>79095095
Cenk is slowly descending into madness.
>>
>>79095054
Man he really lost it with his stance on climate change, and also pretending that everything Trump does is just "aiming high" and that he doesn't really mean it.
>>
>>79095090
>if you think peterson is bad you must think Harris is good!

I don't like Harris either, Jordan gets a huge free pass all over the internet though when he's just as stupid as the people he criticizes.
>>
>>79095001
It's just redditors
>>
>>79094854
>PhD in neuroscience
>let me tell you about philosophy...

No.
>>
>>79095001
most of the thread just seems to be about how Peterson is bad in general, not much in the specific defense of Harris. There's also some Peterson defenders screeching about how everyone is a marxist.
>>
>>79095122
>slowly
He has already gone completely insane. He was arguing yesterday that antifa rioters are actually 4channers scheming to defund liberal universities.
>>
>>79095142
>Jordan is as stupid as dude trannies lmao people
>>
>>79095204
yeah good to know we both agree on this point.
>>
>>79095224
t. mutilated gremlin-looking tranny
>>
>>79094077
>Atheist
>Believes religions are not all equal
>Anti Islam views
>Not alt right on most things but doesn't have views compatible with mainstream leftists either
>Supports first strike

It's because he's an individual with a relatively unique set of view points.
>>
>>79095242
t. I have no arguments so I have to rely on fallacies
>>
File: Goyed.png (461KB, 618x747px) Image search: [Google]
Goyed.png
461KB, 618x747px
>>79093244
Is sam really speaking truth to power and is anything he says really that controversial or heretical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyeWwjZBq9k
>>
>>79095242
>call the tranny SJW's idiots
>say Jordan is just as stupid

>DIS MEENS U MUST BE SJW MARXIST!

wow who could have thought that people who like Jordans stupid arguments are fucking stupid themselves.
>>
>>79095263
The person he responded to didn't have any arguments either.
Jordan does have this terrible meandering way of explaining anything. I don't think he could be concise if his life depended on it.
>>
>>79095286
You seem VERY upset that I pointed out your mutilated genitals
>>
>>79095303
>The person he responded to didn't have any arguments either.

the original point was that Jordan does the same stupid shit he thinks Marxists are horrible for doing.
>>79095070
>>
>>79095140
There is no definitive proof for human-caused climate change; deal with it.
>>
>>79095142
Nah bro, just wiping out Muslims would work best for everyone. Except Muslims.
>>
>>79095303
That's how university philosophy teaches you to think.
>>
>>79095198
holy shit, top kek
The hoops these people will jump though to ignore the fact that they are the bad guys.
>>
>>79095283
God no

Let's see him put on a "draw muhammed" festival like Pamela Geller and get a guy try to shoot up the place
>>
>>79095329
>All leading scientists in the world are wrong or lying
Kek
>>
>>79095329
>Trump drones actually believe this
>>
>>79095303
>I don't think he could be concise if his life depended on it.
Dat Nigga INTP as fuck
>>
>>79095328
Fair enough.
>>
>>79095328
Jordan doesn't seek to impose those re-definitions on others, they're discrete and just for him

If you weren't a retard you'd be able to identify this, as everyone else did, hence why they decided to just insult you instead of bothering
>>
>>79094440
Ah right.

I would probably agree with him to be honest - religion obviously IS an evolutionary adaptation that keeps us alive.

And yes I think there probably is a sense in which "morally correct" is just whatever is conducive to our survival. Because morality only exists as a survival mechanism. Morality is what allows large societies to be united, so that they don't splinter and break up out of in-fighting; and large societies are necessarily more powerful and strong than smaller societies. So it's a tool of survival.

And of course he believes that modern SJWism is essentially a new religion, from a psychological perspective, doesn't he. So in that sense, yes I think he would be right, that religion is something that keeps us alive - but religion would include "secular humanism" and SJWism, since from a psychological perspective that's what they essentially are.

>>79094577
Right so yes it is subjective version of truth vs. objective version of truth. Essentially.

I think Peterson has a point. In fact probably for any society to keep functioning, its people have to believe as "true" things that aren't actually true. Like "people are generally good". If people lose faith in that, then they lose faith in society - they give up and they turn to crime. Of course, people aren't actually good at all - we're all selfish, we're all committing moral sins all the time, and hiding them from others (masturbating to weird porn, being racist online but not telling others, cheating on bfs/gfs, whatever)

I think he has a point.

>>79094854
>PhD in clinical psychology, a former Harvard professor, a currently tenured professor, and an accomplished writer
vs
>total hack with a podcast and a soundcloud
kek
>>
>>79095417
I like you.
>>
File: 1464989876464.jpg (9KB, 250x246px) Image search: [Google]
1464989876464.jpg
9KB, 250x246px
Posting in a /r/athiesm reddit thread
>>
>>79095405
>Peterson is right, he is just using subjective alternative truth
>amirite?
>you retards
>>
>>79095198
IOW the same kind of shit he nearly decked Alex Jones over.
>>
>>79095452
I'm explaining how it's different from his opponents

Jesus you Harrisbots are stupid, go jerk off your malformed skin graft balloon "penis"
>>
>>79095417
>religion obviously IS an evolutionary adaptation that keeps us alive.
not it's not "obvious", you really need some good proof for that, and until such proof is provided i'll be undecided on the claim.
>>
>>79095476
>I'm explaining how it's different from his opponents

Yeah and we're explaining how it's retarded

understand?
>>
>>79095417
>people have to believe as "true" things that aren't actually true

How does he have a point then? Ethics should be based on truth, and not vice versa. That's literally what the whole 2 hour podcast argument is about.
It has nothing to do with semantics.
>>
>>79093364

Y-yes?

:(

why cant they be friends pol, it would be perfecct, sam could bring tv-pol into the mainsteram!
>>
>>79095489
Religion is just a subset of institutional modes of behaviour and the ability of humans to intenalise rules, Religion is just the same evolutionary mechanism that allowed humans to live in society, only it's a maladaption of institutional evolution in that things like signalling (ritual) serve a philosophical instead of a rule-based, economic purpose

Read some hayek faggot
>>
>>79095497
I see you still haven't denied that you're a horrifically mutilated tranny
>>
File: wisdom.jpg (76KB, 851x477px) Image search: [Google]
wisdom.jpg
76KB, 851x477px
>>79095567
>>
>>79095502
They wanted it to be a discussion/argument so they only spent the first 10 minutes clarifying the SJW backstory. If you just pat each other on the back on how you are better than gender activists you end up with what 4chan has turned to.
>>
>>79095567
>he reads philosophy to gain knowledge about biology
>>
File: harris on neuroscience.jpg (133KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
harris on neuroscience.jpg
133KB, 800x450px
>>
>>79095599
It's practically axiomatic

Would you deny the ability for humans to obey and perpetuate rules isn't an evolutionary trait?
>>
>>79095095
>Cenk thinks it's A-OK for Iran to get nukes

How is this guy a darling of the left again?
>>
File: 1477798896617.jpg (251KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
1477798896617.jpg
251KB, 960x717px
>>79093314
>Podcast w/o visual
Dropped.
If I'm gunna listen to someone talk I want the ability to give them my full attention, at least in key points.

>>79094444
>we want moderate muslims in this country
>moderate muslims
[picture related]

Okay. So w/o reading the rest of this thread or finishing the video.
TLDR; /leftypol/ vs /pol/ vs shit-stirrers with some "I'm just being reasonable" thrown in.
>>
>>79095335
But Jordan isn't a philosopher, he's a psychologist

t. Philosophy graduate. Jordan has never done studied philosophy at university as far as I'm aware, only psychology

>>79095377
>>79095383
>97% of the leading scientists in the world = 100% of the leading scientists in the world
No it doesn't

There are plenty of people that disagree with many of the claims of climate change. Either they think projections are completely out of wack, or they think humans aren't the main cause, or that we don't have sufficient evidence to conclusively state the cause.

For a list of these scientists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

Also, they like to point out that "no scientific body of national or international standing maintains a formal opinion dissenting [from climate change]", but many of them aren't committal - they think it's POSSIBLE humans are causing climate change, so maybe we should reduce CO2 just to be safe.

Source for quote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

For example, this is the last group that dropped their objections to the "scientific consensus" on climate change - the American Association of Petroleum Geologists:

>Although the AAPG membership is divided on the degree of influence that anthropogenic CO2 has on recent and potential global temperature increases, AAPG believes that expansion of scientific climate research into the basic controls on climate is important.

So basically "we don't think it's conclusive. So keep researching guys."

Source for this statement, which can be found on that last wikipedia page anyway: http://dpa.aapg.org/gac/statements/climatechange.pdf
>>
>>79095686
because Iran is a victim, and victims are never autonomous
>>
>>79095686
What do you expect from a guy who named his show after the movement that carried out the Armenian genocide?
>>
File: 1111.png (94KB, 500x348px)
1111.png
94KB, 500x348px
>>79095746
>>
>>79095425
Thanks mang

>>79095489
If you believe in natural selection and evolution (which I hope you do), then the mere existence of religion is proof that it is something that has been conducive to our survival. If irreligious humans had been stronger, they would have conquered the world.

>>79095500
Ethics *are*, whether you like it or not, based on views that keep us alive, which may not actually be objectively true. For example they have been predicated on the existence of gods for thousands of years. With secular humanism, they're contingent on the belief that humans are mostly good, which is false because actually we're all just selfish cunts who will willingly fuck each other over if we get the chance.
>>
>>79094444
>le super rational super empirical man
>dude reformist islam is possible lmao like dude just make them politicians lmao

Absolute trash, the fact that people in this thread are defending him is astounding
>>
>>79095827
No problem, thanks for the pills. I share most of your views, it's nice to see people who think alike.
>>
File: hardcore history.jpg (88KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
hardcore history.jpg
88KB, 1200x630px
Sam Harries view is so narrow and simple.

Heres a great debate betwen Sam Harris and Dan Carlin from Hardcore History.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWSbNr7L1sA

Can't get enough of Dan Carlin's shit.
>>
>>79095699
>there is no definitive proof of human-caused climate change since less than 100% of scientists believe in it, therefore it's perfectly fine to assume we have no responsibility for it whatsoever and we can continue doing exactly what we want
>>
>>79095827
>If you believe in natural selection and evolution (which I hope you do), then the mere existence of religion is proof that it is something that has been conducive to our survival

desu famalam that's like saying self-harm is an evolutionary trait
>>
>>79095746
>>79095808
I always thought him denying the Armenian Genocide was just a meme, then I looked it up and saw it's true. Kek.

And I just looked up Young Turks and you're right about them committing the genocide too.

And the biggest irony is that Ana Kasparian is Armenian. I wonder what she thinks of Cenk's unabashed racial hatred for her people.
>>
>>79095808
Roger Stone being at the side of it made that entire thing GOAT

I don't know which Alex Jones kino is the best

>1776 WILL HAPPEN AGAIN
>Getting into it with TYT
>Joe Rogan podacst
>>
>>79095827
>>If you believe in natural selection and evolution (which I hope you do), then the mere existence of religion is proof that it is something that has been conducive to our survival. If irreligious humans had been stronger, they would have conquered the world.
No because you assume religion is not the consequence of something else that has actual fitness, but religion in itself might have neutral fitness or negative. There's a reason biologists don't claim they know the answer here and the only ones who put forward certainty are philosophers. In science you don't just stop at "that seems to make sense" and accept it.
>>
>>79095166
Sam actually has a BA in philosophy as well
>>
>>79095897
You clearly didn't read a fucking word I said

"Definitive proof" - mate, any empirical claim is subject to doubt. Only a priori claims can be absolutely certain.

So there isn't "definitive proof". There might be good evidence, but not "definitive proof". Especially since there are many scientists that disagree with the common narrative.

>>79095901
If self-harm was a widespread and CELEBRATED fact of human societies, central to almost all of them - if people built churches, the tallest buildings in the world for centuries, dedicated to self-harm, then you might have a point.
>>
ROUND 2 WHEN?
>>
File: makes you think.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
makes you think.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>79094577
>Peterson = "everything that serves human or societal survival must be true"

So atomic bombs aren't real?
>>
>>79095970
I have an LLB, I'm not a fucking lawyer
>>
>>79096018
How Can Atom Bombs Be Real If Our Science Isn't Real?
>>
>>79094444
>we're still at the stage where saying "not all cultures are equal" is relegated and only allowed on the supposedly edgy late-night show
>>
>>79096025

>implying Aristotle had a PhD
>>
>>79095827
You can argue if it's profitable to build ethics on delusion, and I would disagree with you - but I still don't get why you think subjective and objective truths can co-exist in the broader sense? And I'm not talking about ethics here at all.
>>
>>79095909
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fy0frTtxS8
>>
File: through the looking glass.png (221KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
through the looking glass.png
221KB, 500x375px
>>79095686

As mentioned when Sam was on Bill Maher's show last night, one of the chairpeople of the Women's March tweeted positively about Saudi policy on women.
>>
>>79095283
Garbage.

Ideologies should be based upon whether they are ''lame'' or not? Drivel.

I swear this guy is cooked up by left wing media to give them a figurehead to rally behind as they leave the sinking ship.
>>
File: th4.png (181KB, 276x376px) Image search: [Google]
th4.png
181KB, 276x376px
>>79096206
Not to mention one of their official signs was a woman in a fucking hijab
>>
>>79096252
>implying he isn't just adapting the left's standards for debate

"Oh, we can't do/think/believe X, that's racist!"
>>
>>79096206
>>79096255

I still support the protest but this shit is nuts and any liberal or left winger who criticizes it gets pushed to the fringes.
>>
>>79096300
>I still support the protest

Good dhimmi
>>
>>79094822
He has explained, the is-ought gap is something that exists at the very basis of science. To ask for a science of morality that solves it is to ask for a science of morality that is more science than all of science.
>>
>>79096255
I always found this poster so baffling, especially with the lipstick? What is it even supposed to say "Traditional Muslims are part of our rich society"??
The poster would actually make more sense if it was made by conservatives as a counter argument.
>>
Sam is the worst kind of shill. He's the mastermind that knows every trick in the book to make you look 2 feet tall and unsure of your convictions. He's the prosecuting attorney who makes you look bad in court for suing your boss for sexually harassing you. He's the military general who shouts you down and says you don't know what it's like to make tough decisions. He's the banker that tells you you don't know anything about economics. He's the veteran all star that says you'll never stick around in the big league.
>>
>>79096000
Why is it that climate skeptics are so adamant about this topic? I work in atmospheric science and people like you drive me crazy. Do you know how hard it is for an idea to reach scientific consensus? It's almost impossible. Any new idea that goes against the status quo is torn to shreds. Scientists will look for ANY possible flaws in a theory to tear it down. Not only that but the people who introduced the idea are personally attacked if it goes against someone else's theory. It's vicious. For a theory to reach that kind of consensus, especially for atmospheric science, is a miracle. It means that a majority of the WORLDS scientists couldn't find a way to tear it down. Not only that but it means that the theory has undeniable predictive power.

Just face it the atmosphere has existed forever with almost no significant outside forcing. Humans are pumping tons and tons of co2 into the atmosphere. That WILL change the way it works. The science is simple and it's settled.
>>
File: mhhmm.gif (2MB, 258x250px) Image search: [Google]
mhhmm.gif
2MB, 258x250px
>>79096252
IDK man, I've used that quote about how liberals aren't speaking truth to power and aren't interesting at all and they always get really pissed off
>>
>>79096491
>Sam Harris disagrees with me and provides good arguments for why he does
>he must be a shill
>>
>>79095943
>In science you don't just stop at "that seems to make sense" and accept it.

But that's exactly what scientists do when they have good evidence for something. They can never be 100% certain. Scientists can only give what they think is the best theory to explain the data they've collected.

Given that religion has been widespread throughout almost every single human culture, nation, civilisation for the last few thousands years, I would say it was conducive to our survival. And given that religious societies completely dominated the Earth - Christians dominated Europe and conquered the Americas, Muslims conquered the north of Africa and the Middle East, and various religions (Hinduism, Shintoism, Buddhism, and folk religions) dominated Asia / Polynesia.

Although I don't necessarily think that means it will *always* be conducive, or necessary, to our survival, especially since so many people on the planet are now falling away from religion.
>>
>>79095866
>>79095866
>>79095866
This
>>
>>79096960
>But that's exactly what scientists do when they have good evidence for something.
my point was that it's evidence you need, empirical evidence, not just a rationale for how it might be true.
>>
I just recently tried to listen to Sam Harris on the podcast that had a bit about Westworld and AI, and at early on he talks about the need to be more logical and use evidence etc etc yadda yadda
.. then he's talking about a algorithm that correctly distinguishes niggers as being high risk to let out of prison what with them being on average low iq, aggressive and prone to violence and the high recidivism rate of that group
>Oy vey shut it down
Fuck evidence goyim that's racism - the worst sin of all.
>>
>>79097063
>my point was that it's evidence you need, empirical evidence, not just a rationale for how it might be true.

No evidence is 100% foolproof, for anything.
>>
File: 1485447002130.jpg (94KB, 852x958px) Image search: [Google]
1485447002130.jpg
94KB, 852x958px
>>
>>79095699
97% is well above and beyond what any sane person would consider consensus.

If your standards are that high, I imagine science textbooks are little more than kindling in your eyes.
>>
>>79095046
>newfags use 'autism' as an insult

It all makes sense. Now I just need to try this out on other boards and get 'Reddit' so I can finally dismiss everybody who says these two words as the newfags they are.
>>
>>79097217
Isn't there a word for how thing are defined by their opposite?
>>
File: 1464483461225.png (75KB, 348x301px)
1464483461225.png
75KB, 348x301px
>>79094444
Sam Harris is a meme scientist just like NDT, Bill Nye, and Dawkins.

he is complete trash as an intellectual.
>>
File: 1311583617232.gif (495KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1311583617232.gif
495KB, 350x263px
>>79097197
Post-Modern relativism was a mistake, it ruined centuries of actual philosophy.
>>
>>79097023
>>79095866
Reformist Christianity happened, Reformist Judaism happened. Islam is different, yes, but it isn't so funadmentally different that reform is a complete impossibility. That's just defeatist nonsense. Muslims won't just stop being muslim in the next couple of years, they can however be guided into a (even if it's just marginally) better version of islam.
>>
>>79097414
Except it's not our problem meighty. They can figure their shit out on their own time and on their own patch of dirt.
>>
>>79093431
>>79093466
>>79093476

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWwYtJye1Cg
>>
>>79097475

Or they can blow us up
>>
File: arc.gif (101KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
arc.gif
101KB, 425x425px
>>79093426

He wasn't "redefining" anything, there have been multiple definitions of truth for hundreds of years. One, the version Harris ascribes to, is ubiquitous among western thought and culture for very long time, but that doesn't imply that it's the ONLY version of truth.

The problem with the debate was somewhere in the middle. Harris wasn't making the necessary leap between his detached and simple abstractions and the nuanced, contested, complicated world we all inhabit, but Peterson wasn't doing a great job at getting him over the hurdle. I do prefer Peterson's concept of truth, things can be true on one level but not so clearly true on another. Context is basically everything and being uber reductionist, like most atheist debaters tend to be, isn't very helpful.

Also, there's no hypocrisy in Peterson's stance on transgender pronouns, he isn't going around saying "you need to use my definition of truth under the penalty of the law" as the transgender activists are trying to do. The whole issue is that the transgender community was trying to, under federal law, make it unlawful for one person to NOT use another person's preferred pronouns, which is subtle, but radically different from typical laws regarding free speech.
>>
>>79093561
His discussion on the perils of leftist groupthink is interesting. The gender pronoun thing is just a small part of it.
>>
>>79097475
that is a separate argument
>>
>>79097414
>Islam is not fundamentally different

t. complete retard
>>
File: 1 You.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1 You.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>79096000
>Only a priori claims can be absolutely certain.
>>
I don't understand why Jordan was trying to redefine the word truth
>>
>>79097487
They only get that capability if we give it to them.They don't belong in our territory and have to go. The only problem here is the one that (((WE))) are creating.
>>
>>79097512
The definition Peterson used was so far from the common understanding of "truth" and so intuitive, that it would overcomplicate even the simplest of conversations. I get that he was using it to make a point but it makes a discussion about the nature of reality almost impossible.
>>
>>79094805
This.
>>
>>79097512
How something may have been defined hundreds of years ago is completely irrelevant. The whole point of language is that everyone can agree on what the fuck a word means so that you can effectively communicate your ideas. Trying to redefining a basic word like truth is pretty stupid.
>>
>>79097569
Because he needs a sandbox from which to propagate his ungrounded opinions.
>>
>>79097552
>quoting me out of context
>>
>>79097569
he's a man desperately trying to reconcile his religious beliefs with his scientific knowledge

he probably hit that impasse in his late teens, but unlike most who pursue science, he wasn't able to completely divorce himself from his religious upbringing so he spent ~30 years to figuring out how to connect both
>>
>>79095417
you really took the time to write all that? >turbovirgin detected
>>
>>79097694
>>79097711

He should have just made up a new term though.
>>
>>79095004
Jihadists have been at war with the world for over 1000 years. Maybe if we're nice they will stop.
>>
>>79097711
Stop assuming Peterson's background. He admits being an atheist until reading Jung and studying religious archetypes in college.
>>
Peterson is pretty much a moron. He's a nobody that has only become "popular" because a bunch of edgelords on Reddit / /pol/ took notice of his anti-SJW stances. His """ideas""" will be forgotten in a few months because they are so fucking dumb and unsubstantiated.
>>
>>79097733
Terms like that already exist. What Peterson is trying to do is to build on the connotations and emotional impact "truth" has to propagate his point. Now his reasons for doing so may be noble but I still think this is a dishonest manipulative way of using language.
>>
>>79097636

>The definition Peterson used was so far from the common understanding of "truth" and so intuitive, that it would overcomplicate even the simplest of conversations.

These issues are not simple and often your beginning presuppositions produce problems down the line. Harris is someone who debates Hume's "you cannot derive an ought" which gives on a small insight on how he thinks. Harris is someone who thinks, provided you have all the "facts" you can derive moral judgement based on those facts. I don't think this is the case, and that thinking is nested in his presuppositions.

>>79097689

>How something may have been defined hundreds of years ago is completely irrelevant

Not when you're having a debate on the origins of morality. And it's not like these definitions went away and Peterson dug them up and started using them, they're just largely unknown by alot of people, particularly westerners, for their detriment.
>>
>>79097782

Posts like these are a complete waste of time, why don't you tell us why he's a moron?
>>
>>79097829
>Not when you're having a debate on the origins of morality.

Accept they weren't doing that. They were arguing over Peterson redefining the word truth.

>What Peterson is trying to do is to build on the connotations and emotional impact "truth" has to propagate his point. Now his reasons for doing so may be noble but I still think this is a dishonest manipulative way of using language.
>>79097812

This.
>>
>>79097782
How much is Harris paying you to say this constantly in these threads?
>>
File: 1479127971328.jpg (119KB, 621x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479127971328.jpg
119KB, 621x800px
HIDF itt
>>
>>79093689
>he then makes the unsuported claim that religion is an evolutionary adaption and is what keeps humanity alive, and therefore by a practial morality is morally correct.
What the hell, I swear he stated on the Joe Rogan podcast that organized religion is stupid bullshit that gets in the way of our relationship with God.

Dammit, I hate backtracking.
>>
File: 1356729445624.jpg (122KB, 1574x392px) Image search: [Google]
1356729445624.jpg
122KB, 1574x392px
Why are Sam Harris' shills so degenerate?
>>
>>79097895

>Accept they weren't doing that. They were arguing over Peterson redefining the word truth.

Right, but you can't move into any other subject if there are two different frames of reference, at least from Harris' perspective. Jordan was perfectly willing to move on because Harris wasn't getting it, but he kept pressing the issue.
>>
>>79097968
hello /pol/
>>
>>79093244
>Knows that Islam is a massive fucking cancerous problem
>Doesn't follow his own reasoning to its logical conclusion and admit that we should remove fucking kebab and keep them out at all costs.
>>
>>79097968
a shill is a degenerate by default, regardless of who they shill for
>>
File: kek dat delusion.png (591KB, 1417x359px) Image search: [Google]
kek dat delusion.png
591KB, 1417x359px
>>79097968
Look at his fucking banner.
Look at it.
>>
>>79098009
Ok... But Peterson trying to redefine the word truth is still stupid as fuck.
>>
>>79098040
AIU is a piece of shit. That shouldn't reflect badly on Harris though
>>
>>79098040
Is this the pseudo-intellectual starter pack?
>>
>>79098040

refute their arguments
>>
>>79097968
they're balding manchildren who KNOW THE TRUTH OF ANTITHEISM

Harris fanboys are a huge red flag ever since I found out Harris supported Hillary. You just KNOW they offfered him thousands to shill and the greedy jude couldn't help himself.
>>
>>79095699
>AAPG

Kek, that's the American Association for Petroleum Geologists you dumb fuck, you don't think they have a vested interest in being skeptical of global warming?

As for the 97% consensus, maybe you should read the actual studies themselves that reported on the consensus?

The Cook consensus studied abstracts of tens of thousands of climate science peer-reviewed papers from the 90s until ~2011 I think. It found that of papers that made a statement on anthropogenic climate change, 97% of the papers attributed the changes to human activity.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

Also, read the follow up to Cook's paper from 2016:
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002

All of that said, the evidence for climate change speaks for itself, the only reason consensus studies were done is because of retarded """experts""" like Singer, Watts, Haper, etc. coming out and claiming there isn't a consensus by citing their shitty Oregon petition, a petition that anyone with a fucking BS can sign, and in fact has a multitude of fake signatories on it.

Meanwhile, the fossil fuel industry has spend hundreds of millions funding climate change denial since the 1980s.
http://www.gci.uq.edu.au/brief-history-of-fossil-fuelled-climate-denial
https://www.desmogblog.com/exxonmobil-funding-climate-science-denial
https://www.desmogblog.com/2016/07/08/exxonmobil-new-disclosures-show-oil-giant-still-funding-climate-science-denial-groups
>>
>>79098101
It's not about their arguments, it's that this guy thinks he is some super intellectual comparable to them and put his fursona next to them.
>>
>>79098077
Literally fuck off and die, Sam
>>
File: normie tier.jpg (92KB, 672x417px) Image search: [Google]
normie tier.jpg
92KB, 672x417px
>>79098040
Douglass, Hitchens(his brother is better), and Ayaan are the only interesting ones
>>
>>79098134
now who's the shill
>>
>>79098040
This shit got old like 4 years ago, it's now trendy to love Islam and shit
>>
>>79093244
>expecting a lab monkey to have an interesting conversation

you deserved it
>>
File: 1425671115310.jpg (165KB, 1184x839px) Image search: [Google]
1425671115310.jpg
165KB, 1184x839px
>>79098096
don't forget the FREE ad hominem and block you'll get if you subscribe in th enext 10 min
>>
File: 1481186789507.jpg (235KB, 1510x2002px) Image search: [Google]
1481186789507.jpg
235KB, 1510x2002px
>peterson is making 15k a month from patreon

being an "intellectual" and attaching yourself to the alt-right has to be one of the easiest ways to make money

>jordan peterson
>lauren southern
>sargon of akkad
>milo yiannopoulos
>stefan molyneux
>>
File: grla.jpg (58KB, 457x640px) Image search: [Google]
grla.jpg
58KB, 457x640px
>>79098040
hasn't Douglass Murray debated other people on that list about why religion is important and necessary? Why would he put him up there with anti-theists?
>>
>>79098136
The Hitchens brothers are walking stereotypes. Atheist marxist vs religious right-winger. Why is religion and economic policy always conflated? It doesn't even make sense, christianity is undoubtedly advocating socialism.
Anyways, Christopher is the better public speaker and writer.
>>
>>79098064

>Ok... But Peterson trying to redefine the word truth is still stupid as fuck.

We've already been through how he's not redefining anything.
>>
>>79098231
Murray's an atheist but you're right, he sees religion as a social bond (also as a means of repelling muzzies)
>>
>>79098228
sargon of akkad is a furry and not a part of the counter culture
>>
>>79098228

What does Peterson have to do with Alt-Right? You realize he's staunchly against authoritarianism, right?
>>
>>79098253
>christianity is undoubtedly advocating socialism

in your local american nigger community I'm sure
>>
>>79098253
Christopher was never particularly concerned with economics

Peter is a Macmillan conservative, he's not laissez faire, he believes in a social safety net and state-owned industries

Their main non-religious disagreement was foreign policy and Peter won that argument in retrospect

They both had similar conceptions of liberty (JS Mill liberals)
>>
>>79098291
The only reason anyone even knows Peterson is thanks to the alt-right edgelords. Otherwise, no one would give a shit. He was only made famous because of that video of him confronting a bunch of SJWs.
>>
>>79098256
We have?

You said, he's not redefining the word.
I said he is.
Then you changed the subject.
>>
>>79098228
>sargon of akkad
a marxist retard who only sounds smart in comparison to even more retarded marxists. I doubt the alt-right has any love for him.
>>
>>79098228
Can't believe I didn't get on that cash train lad, I could've whipped up some premo fake news sites and made a couple grand
>>
>>79098253
>It doesn't even make sense, christianity is undoubtedly advocating socialism.

Peter attacked Thatcher in the past for being too capitalist, he's not a libertarian free-marketer purist.

>Anyways, Christopher is the better public speaker and writer.

Sure, but I think Peter is probably the better thinker and more interesting. Listening to Christopher outside of some of his foreign policy views is not interesting
>>
>>79098341

see

>>79097512
>>
>>79098350
How new are you? They worship Sargon on /pol/.
>>
>>79094805
This. He was in unfamiliar territory, where he's not the smartest person in the room, and it really rustled his jimmies. This happens to almost every autistic intellectual at some point in their lives.
>>
>>79098404
lol no
>>
>>79098335
Christopher called himself a marxist on many occasions.
>>
>>79098267
why would a gay man not like muslims? They are both opressed classes that have been harmed by white supremacy and bigotry
>>
>>79096432
Except neo-cons aren't that smart.
>>
>>79098338

>The only reason anyone even knows Peterson is thanks to the alt-right edgelords.

I knew about him and watched just about every single lecture he did before that video came out.
>>
File: notgreat.gif (61KB, 250x179px) Image search: [Google]
notgreat.gif
61KB, 250x179px
>>79098397
See
>>79097689

Is your goal to role play out the podcast or something?
>>
>>79097185
Right on.
>>
>>79098335
>>79098376
Seems like I was ill informed on Peter. So he's just a moralistic authoritarian? No wonder the alt-right loves him so much.
>>
>>79098431
Yeah but he wasn't, he was an "economics is determinant" marxist and a sort-of imperialist traditionalist, pre-postcolonialism marxist (neoconservative). He wasn't a commie.

He was generally shit with political theory, he once said that capitalism was the final realising of Marx
>>
>>79098445
>Except neo-cons aren't that smart.

neo-cons, usually, support immigration though
>>
>>79098481
The alt-right doesn't even know who he is

He's an average conservative from about 1910.
>>
>>79098481
>So he's just a moralistic authoritarian?

that's a meaningless turn of phrase
>>
>>79098475

We're going in circles, I already responded to your point. Just because you, and other people are oblivious to the different conception of truth doesn't mean someone is redefining it when they bring up that other conception.
>>
>>79098450
>anecdotal evidence
he wasan obscure unknown lecturer before his recent exposure
>>
>>79098545

And your evidence is your word that "nobody had heard of him, because i say so"?
>>
>>79098532
moralism and authoritarianism are very well defined and seem to be a major part of his ideology from what I can tell.
>>
>>79098584
Don't fucking play stupid, Peterson was hardly known before the recent events. Common sense would tell you as much. Feel free to analyze google searches and do polls if you want to.
>>
>>79098608
He's actually distrustful of the state

His big beef has been cultural change, from which every other part of political, social and economic life comes from. He knows we can't go back, so it's pointless to think of him in ideological terms because he doesn't aspire to his ideas, he just points out that they existed in the past and were, in his opinion, good. He's entirely apathetic about the future because of this. He describes himself as the eulogist of Britain.

tl;dr he's blackpilled
>>
>>79098136
>his brother is better

hahaha
>>
>>79098714
Christopher probably was the more eloquent writer and more charismatic personality, but outside of a few of his foreign policy stances, nothing he said really seemed interesting or controversial.

He seemed like a second rate H.L. Mencken when it came to his cynicism and atheistic views
>>
Peterson is my guy but I don't think he gave a very good account of himself on this one. Having said that he spent an hour and a half trying to move on while Harris had an autistic tantrum so at least he tried.
>>
>>79098714
t. Maximillian Plebtard, moderator of 5 subreddits (including 1 default), 3 time reddit gold recipient, runner-up 3rd district regional fedora-tipping contest
>>
>>79098404
lol nope
>>
>>79098102

he never truly supported hillary, dumb fuck. if you listen to his podcast he says there's so much wrong about hillary, but it was more a vote for sanity against trump. he bashed hillary almost every time he talked about her
>>
>>79093244
the debate was interesting but frustrating due to Sam not being able to be reasonable. And even more interesting was seeing people's reactions to the debate itself. You can tell who considers Sam their lord and savior and who's a normal person. They'll parrot Sam's ideas and stances almost word for word, regardless of how wrong it is. Sam's beliefs were challenged, which irritated him, by a person who was smarter than Sam, which irritated him further. It's some good schadenfreude but that doesn't outweigh what the debate could have been had Sam been reasonable.
>>
>>79098780
>nothing he said really seemed interesting or controversial

It's why he became famous.
>>
people who say Sam Harris only resorts to ad homs are just /pol/acks who say "fuck off reddit" if anyone presents them with a view point alternative to their own. back to your containment board pls
>>
>>79099006
the debate was interesting but frustrating due to Jordan not being able to be reasonable. And even more interesting was seeing people's reactions to the debate itself. You can tell who considers Jordan their lord and savior and who's a normal person. They'll parrot Jordan's ideas and stances almost word for word, regardless of how wrong it is. Jordan's beliefs were challenged, which irritated him, by a person who was smarter than Jordan, which irritated him further. It's some good schadenfreude but that doesn't outweigh what the debate could have been had Jordan been reasonable.
>>
>>79099021
Unironically reddit
>>
>>79099076

>the debate was interesting but frustrating due to Jordan not being able to be reasonable

Funny, but Jordan wanted to move on and Sam didn't. That's where you draw the line.
>>
>>79098608

Moralism and authoritarianism are only the same thing if you are stupid enough to think that liberty can survive in a low-trust, irreligious, disintegrating society.
>>
>>79099006
>Sam not being able to be reasonable
>by a person who was smarter than Sam
So you're just a Petersen shill.
Sam acted wrongly but it wasn't due to him being unreasonable or Petersen being smarter, it was due to his sperginess and inability to move on from a pointless debate.
>>
>>79099112

Sam could move on if Jordan admitted to being unreasonable.
>>
>>79098228
Dick Masterson too
>>
>>79099133
no one ever implied that moralism and authoritarianism are the same thing.
Also nice strawman for everyone who isn't alt right.
>>
>>79099161
>Sam not being able to be reasonable
>Sam acted wrongly
>it wasn't due to him being unreasonable
> it was due to his sperginess and inability to move on from a pointless debate

are you arguing my point or agreeing with me?
>>
>>79099178

>Sam could move on if Jordan admitted to being unreasonable.

Jordan wasn't being unreasonable.
>>
>>79098440
>no (you)'s

damn, gotta get better
>>
>>79099178
Good way to never get things done in a debate. Can you imagine what it would look like if someone like Dave Rubin did that with his guests? You'd have one hour of them debating over the first sentence uttered in the interview.
>>
>>79099229
Stop worshipping Peterson. That's my point. Sam is a sperg. That doesn't make him wrong.
>>
>>79099210
>le alt right boogeyman
>>
>>79093431
>>79097486
Wtf I love Zizek now
>>
>>79099271
>Can you imagine what it would look like if someone like Dave Rubin did that with his guests?

Rubin isn't really that great of an interviewer though, he frequently lets his guests walk over him and doesn't really challenge their notions. He's better than anyone on tv, sure, but he's not really Buckley

David Pakman is probably better
>>
>>79099264
too obvious
>>
>>79099355
Pakmans talk with Richard Spencer was pretty good but in general he's too much of a left wing partisan for me.
>>
>>79099393
I guess that's fair, but his conversations usually seem more insightful than Rubin's

The Spencer interview with Pakman was pretty great, but Spencer is usually solid at giving interviews(outside or Roland Martin)
>>
File: el peterson redentor.jpg (197KB, 615x960px) Image search: [Google]
el peterson redentor.jpg
197KB, 615x960px
>>79098228
>peterson is making 15k a month from patreon
>that's $180,000 a year

That's a lot, but bear in mind he's been spending his Patreon money on better video equipment for filming his lecturers, and he probably pays somebody to film them as well, and that stuff probably isn't that cheap

But yes he's a shrewd and enterprising businessman, he's probably done pretty well from his Self-Authoring Suite too, and I think he has been involved in consultancy business ventures with other psychologists. Providing consultancy for businesses, that kind of thing.

That just makes me respect him more, to be honest. You gotta make money in this world. Harris does it as well, of course, with his books and shiet.

The people I don't respect in this world are Marxist layabouts who expect other people to pay their dues.
>>
>>79099300
you couldn't make a point to begin with. I honestly believed you were doing a satire of Sam due to a.) not making a point b.) being unreasonable and c.) being totally autistic about it in the process
>>
>>79099393
>Pakmans talk with Richard Spencer
>literally "Shut it down" the interview

https://youtu.be/0cKNhjQHWFo?t=1524
>>
>haha why should we try to figure out if there are racial differences what if we find out something we don't like lets just keep giving black people more money for programs

Sam Harris is a merchant of ignorance.
>>
>>79099800
Spencer got destroyed here. He advocates for ethnostates, yet he can't even go into detail about how he classifies ethnicities. He thinks ashkenazi and sepathic jews are the same ethincity or should be treated as such. It's just alltogether inconsistent.
>>
So this thread is about a two hour podcast?
>>
>>79099866
This is one of his most unreasonable statements. Really shows his liberal bias.
>>
>>79099910
It's pretty simple mate - whites can stay in America and non-whites should be peacefully relocated.

Whether I think his ideas are necessary, I don't know.

But what I DO know is this: the fact his ideas have become so popular in the last couple years really tells you something about how pissed off whites are at the current state of mainstream culture.

"Whites are evil!"
"Whites must die!"

This stuff needs to end
>>
>>79100035
I get all that. Doesn't change that Spencers ideas are unreasonable and seemingly poorly thought out. He can't name any consistent principle on why or how this should happen, his ideas on race seem poorly concieved and so on...
>>
>>79100123
you repeated the same sentence three times. Spencer has also been open about he doesn't know how or what his ethno-state is going to look like, the same way Marx couldn't give specifics of his communist state or Herzl couldn't give specifics of his jewish state.
>>
>>79097217

/ourguy/
>>
>>79100123
How are his ideas on race poorly conceived? I think they're pretty spot on. He is right that the races have biological differences between them - everyone knows this already, because we recognise different races based on their appearance (skin colour, height, hair texture, facial structure, etc.), which are biologically determined, of course.

He's just talking truths that people don't like discussing because they're politically incorrect.

>unreasonable
As I say, I am not sure whether racial segregation is really required.

But the fact that such extreme ideas have become popular shows the level of anger. Which makes perfect sense because people are trying to essentially exclude whites from whatever things they like.

I'm a Brit by the way. As an outsider to the US I often think, if blacks in the US hate it so fucking much there - if they really have such a shit time - why the FUCK don't they move?

Asians moved from their countries to the US, didn't they? And they outperform EVERY OTHER RACE in the US.

It is absolutely true that immigrants usually end up working very hard. The act of immigrating is itself an enterprising act - it shows you have a work ethic, that you're willing to make sacrifices to better yourself. Why the fuck aren't blacks doing that?

I have full respect for blacks that do get on in life, and many do. But then you've got the people who expect fucking handouts. You've got BLM *lying* about Michael Brown - he wasn't innocent; he robbed a store and charged at the police officer (the witness testimonies, *from black people*, are on Wikipedia).

Something needs to be done - perhaps not segregation, but SOMETHING.

Personally, I think equality under the law needs to be reasserted as a principle. Stop giving people handouts. Make laws colourblind, and if some people don't like that, then tough, they should emigrate.
>>
>>79099866
This, Harris is good on some things but he has major contradictions in his standpoints. What's worse is that he decries the exact same policy of ignorance of 'dangerous' ideas that is exhibited by mainstream liberals and yet practices it himself on certain issues.
>>
>>79100499
>biologically
genetically
>>
File: why contain it.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
why contain it.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
>>79099866
>>79099800
how would Harris handle Spencer?
>>
Harris is unironically one of my favourite people to listen to these days. Him and Douglas Murray seem to the best voices of reason in a totally Right v Left world.

Kinda confuses me seeing Harris getting hated on here (but not on /pol/), earlier 4chan would've loved him
>>
>>79098040
who's the guy on the far left (not politically, but on the banner) next to Penn?
>>
>>79100499
Woah dude, that's a pretty elaborate post for you to miss my point so hard.
I pretty much take most of your post for granted. The thing is, Spencers view of race seems poorly thought out in the sense that he has a strong bias towards "white people" (which encompasses at least three separate races) as well as the baggage of the movements from which he is borrowing much of his ideology, as seen in the way he classifies jews (ashkenazi and sephardi jews are ethnically extremely different) as well as blacks (a two digit number of different ethnic groups). Despite all that he still argues for ethnic identity.
The guy is in the game for a decade and still has no answer for these "fringe cases".
He doesn't have any principles on which his ideology rests, he just want's his whitey state because he likes the thought of it. He is not to be taken seriously.
>>
>>79099800
Spencer is such a fucking retard
>>
>>79100674
Half this thread is people siding with Harris. He's a controversial figure fo people will have different opinions on him. Also there's a lot of /pol/acks on /tv/.
>>
>>79094077
he's a stupid person(You)'s idea of what an intellectual is. in reality he is no smarter than joe rogan
>>
>>79100920
Ok name non stupid intellectuals with coherent (read:not retarded) viewpoints
>>
>>79100651
Call him a racist and islamophobe
>>
>>79100779
correction: apparently "black people" in africa can be classified into 3000 different ethnic groups.
>>
>>79100991
you've probably never heard of them...
>>
File: 1486135864803.png (665KB, 701x472px) Image search: [Google]
1486135864803.png
665KB, 701x472px
>>79100920
>Not taking the roganpill
His iq is over 160
>>
>>79100991
Deepak Chopra
>>
>>79100991
Cenk Uygur, he already BTFO Harris in a debate
>>
>>79100674
That's because in the past Sam was always having conversations and debates with people he was greater than. He was superior to them, kept his cool, presented great arguments, shot down any counterargument, and his fans enjoyed it because in the back of their mind they were imagining themselves in the place of Sam. That phenomenon is called a power fantasy, and it's a pretty common occurrence. You can't fault his fans or humans in general for that.

Jordan's fans are the same way, and Jordan himself is similar to Sam - superior to others, keeps his cool, presents great arguments, shuts down counterarguments, etc. But it's easy to see that Sam was out of his element by not being superior to his guest. Sam and Jordan are equals. And Jordan stands for the opposite of what Sam does, so naturally Sam wants to dismantle his rival, yet he's unable to do so. For quite possibly the first time in Sam's life he wasn't in charge of the conversation, and that can really make a person uneasy, especially control freaks. At the very beginning of the debate Sam points out how he's been seeing many atheists praise Jordan for presenting religion in a way that makes it seem respectable. You could see how that alone would upset Sam.

Sam went into the debate being fueled by emotions. He wasn't being reasonable. If you had a transcript of the debate, omitted names, and went back in time to a younger Sam and had him read it, he would say that the one party in the debate - himself - was being unreasonable. I have a lot of respect for Sam, but I don't let my bias and fanboyism blind me from seeing that he was in the wrong.
>>
File: samHarris1.png (186KB, 810x675px) Image search: [Google]
samHarris1.png
186KB, 810x675px
>>
File: samHarris2.png (486KB, 821x1557px) Image search: [Google]
samHarris2.png
486KB, 821x1557px
>>
File: samHarris3.png (895KB, 920x2492px) Image search: [Google]
samHarris3.png
895KB, 920x2492px
>>
>>79101340
>>79101310
i know those are the ultimate strawman comics, but they're fucking hilarious
>>
>>79101310
this is accurate
>>79101340
this is bullshit
>>
>>79101194
>If Batman were here he would call us a racist.
wat
>>
>>79093426
>What did he mean by this?
He is smart but was born into religion and cannot grow out of it thus he desperately tries to come up with arguments and rethoric that can justify his ilogical beliefs that he is so emotionally attached.
But yeah fuck trannies and thought policing.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.