[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can this be made and not be shit? What sort of aesthetic should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Great Dune Trilogy.jpg (34KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
Great Dune Trilogy.jpg
34KB, 329x500px
Can this be made and not be shit?

What sort of aesthetic should the production design adopt?

Who should be cast?
>>
Not really, it's a story about superhumans with precog abilities who play 5D chess in space. It's hardly filmable
>>
the actual plot of the first book is very formulaic and the characters are pretty one-dimensional so it could easily be made, the problem is translating the greater universe and feel of Dune, the political intrigue etc.
>>
if LOTR can get a good adaptation

this can

Stanley Kubrick said there isn't a single thing written that can't be adapted
>>
Dune should be split into two films to fit the full complexity of the story and plot onto the screen
Paul and Jessica going into the desert is a good spot to split it
>>
>>79090614
Should it be better if they made Dune, Messiah and Children in a trilogy instead of another Dune adaptation?
God-Emperor should be a separated adapatation.
>>
>>79090763
>if LOTR can get a good adaptation
But it didn't anon
It focused on fights and battles and gave everything else a short shrift
>>
>>79090950
yeah I really needed more singing and poems and 30 minute travel scenes with no events
>>
>>79090950
Fuck off Chris
>>
Lynch's film was fine, enough with your fucking book autism, everyone is fucking tired as shit of this nonsense

HURR DURR MUH DUNE MUH JODOROWSKY
>>
>>79090614
>Can this be made and not be shit?

no, because the book is already shit
>>
>>79091016
>hurr durr random weirdness for the sake of it
>trust me I'm an artiste
>>
>>79091016
>I WAS RAPING FRANK HERBERT
>I WAS RAPING HIM
>but with love, with love
>>
>>79091016
If I am talking about actually adapting the books, then why would I cite Jodorowsky?
>>
>>79091016
You don't know shit about Dune books right?
>>
>>79091132

Who the fuck cares. So, they're different visions, learn to compertanlize your affinities like a fucking adult.

Lynch's film was great.

Your book autism is Gerry Seinfield airplane food tier joke now

SO HOW ABOUT THEM DUNE ADAPTATIONS, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT

Nobody needs it, nobody wants it. You're worse than bronies.
>>
>>79091177
You also know you're the autist here, right?
>>
>>79091177
>learn to compertanlize
what?

>adaption

Adaptation does not mean going off and making something totally different retaining only the bare bones of what you began with
>>
>>79090810
That would be the best place to split it, the first movie would cover the fall of House Atrrades and the second would be the rise of Muad'dib.
>>
>>79091016
>MUH JODOROWSKY
The bookfags who hate Lynch's version are hating on Jodo's vision too, you pleb.
>>
>>79091504
>the first movie would cover the fall of House Atrrades and the second would be the rise of Muad'dib.
Incidentally, that is how Frank Herbert serializes the novel in Analog Magazine. Part 1 is Dune World, part 2 is Prophet of Dune. Both are collected into a single Dune book.
>>
>>79091640

Who gives a shit.

Gene Wolfe>Frank Herbert
>>
>>79090614
>trilogy
>no godemperor
fuk u m8
>>
>>79090763
Raises Silmarillion to Stanley Kubrick.

Go on Stanley prove me wrong.
>>
>>79091704
I'm the one you replied, and I agree with you.
>>
>>79090687
You say that while a story about superhumans with precog abilities who play 5D chess in fantasy medieval Europe is the most pirated show in history.
>>
>>79091667
Cool. I still think the best way to do it would be as a tv show with 10 episodes a seasons. The first two seasons could cover the first Dune book, spit as you mentioned, with each following season covering one book.
>>
>>79090687
>it's a story about superhumans with precog abilities who play 5D chess in space. It's hardly filmable

it's already been filmed twice
>>
>>79092792
>it's already been botched twice
Fixed that phammy
>>
The miniseries had a good kind of structure.

First book should be at least 2 films. The first film introducing all the characters and then scattering them at the end when Paul escapes the Harkonen with the fremen after Leto is killed..Like Fellowship.
>>
>>79090614
10 hour long episodes with a decent budget on the first book.
Then every two books make up a season.
Cover the entire main series, keeping in mind the lore books.
>>
>>79092644
Yeah, and it's also plebby shit with none of the depth of the source material
>>
>>79091016
Lynch's version bastardize the story.

And while I would have loved Jodo's take for how bizarre and originally crafted it was, it would have been an even worst adaptation of Dune.
>>
>>79090614
Nope, you either manage to pull off a good adaptation that would please the fans, and you've got box office poison, or you turn it into action babby capeshit to appeal to general audiences and shit all over the source material.
>>
>>79090614
Nope: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14469524/dune-director-denis-villeneuve-arrival-blade-runner
>What sort of aesthetic should the production design adopt?
Glossy and sterile like all his other work.
>Who should be cast?
Standard big name stars, probably. Anthony Hopkins for Baron Harkonnen, Ryan Gosling for Maud'dib, Russell Crowe for Duncan Idaho etc
>>
I dont give a shit what anyone says, the butlerian jihad prequels by his nephew or whoever would make great. They read like an action movie anyway. Leave the originals as books, its unfilmable.
>>
>>79093557
Here's the thing that really frustrates me about you people: it doesn't matter how faithful the adaptation is, that's not the sign of quality. Look at starship troopers, I love the book, and I love the movie. The movie is objectively a dogshit adaptation, but that doesn't make it a bad movie.
Jodorowsky's dune would have been the same way, there's no way you can adapt that dense as fuck novel into a coherent film narrative - the difference in the structures of the two media ensures that. So don't try to faithfully adapt it, take the source material, and run far and fucking fast in the other direction. Make it something of our own, instead of just trying to copy, word for word, what is in the book.
If you want the books READ THE FUCKING BOOKS! I want to see something new, something different, something i don't already know the fucking ending too.

How is dune enriched, at all, but ANOTHER shitty screen adaptation? Every time I see someone saying they want a dune movie, I can't help but think that they're not that much of a fan in the first place.
>>
>>79093741
>They read like an action movie anyway
They read like a 14 year old's fan fiction.
It's people like you that make the entire genre trash.
>>
>>79093742
There's adapting the work and there's taking the work and do your own thing, which both Lynch and Jodo did.
Jodo's version was trying to be faithful but that's bullshit. It had spirit but not what Herbert intended.
>>
>>79093762
Fuck off mate, like >>79093742 says, book and film are totally different. If you read a screenplay of your favorite movie it would be shit compared to a good novel. Dune the origibals dont work as movies so dont bother, just enjoy the books. The jihad shit is at least on par with any good action movie and better than all rhe capeshit you can mention. Its shit as a book but i can envision it being top notch action sci fi.
>>
>>79091016
no one said anything about jodorovsky, stop sperging out aspie. Lynch's film was shit. The mini-series was decent however. I could go for of that but with bigger budget.
>>
File: wut.png (104KB, 665x598px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
104KB, 665x598px
>>79093868
>Jodo's version was trying to be faithful
>>
File: i bet you feel like an asshole.png (40KB, 1576x194px) Image search: [Google]
i bet you feel like an asshole.png
40KB, 1576x194px
>>79093878
>>
>>79093878
>The jihad shit is at least on par with any good action movie and better than all rhe capeshit you can mention.
Go to bed Brian, Kevin's waiting for you.
>>
>>79090614
just do the same thing as the first movie but with better effects and younger actors seeing as it was basically flawless.
>>
>>79094453
In spirit. His words.
>>
>>79090614
>ctrl + f practical
>ear-raping ping on schedule
Ville should take advantage of all that cgi chink money and use it to go hybrid practical, like Miller and Nolan's spacecraft docking scenes. minimum 70/30 practical/cgi split, more if he thinks he can get away with it
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.