[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain why this is a good movie without insulting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 226357main_2001_eva_t_full.jpg (772KB, 3000x1370px) Image search: [Google]
226357main_2001_eva_t_full.jpg
772KB, 3000x1370px
Can anyone explain why this is a good movie without insulting people who don't like it?
>>
It's quite deep and intelligent. Did you know it's about evolution?
>>
File: 2001 - Pod.png (735KB, 938x1199px) Image search: [Google]
2001 - Pod.png
735KB, 938x1199px
>>79074821
Its the epitome of 'show, don't tell'. Visually stunning with a triptych structure guiding the grand story about the evolutionary history of man.

It makes me feel like the tiny monkey on a rock that I am.
>>
>>79075140
Plus a lot of pointless pissing about with a killer computer that adds absolutely nothing to the movie.
>>
it's good because everyone says it's good
>>
>>79075200
the AI is supposed to make you >think about how technology has become a threat to humanity. not just AI but the fact that machines are more effective and efficient than humans. there's a lot of philosophy in the film that flies over average peoples heads.
>>
>>79075304
You're right, but non of the things you mention are related to philosophy
>>
>>79074821
It's three stories of varying length and complexity that show the progress of mankind with extraterrestrial assistance as a catalyst for each step forward. The third act is just as confounding to us as the second act would be to primitive apes. It's pacing, soundtrack, and cinematography all are used to further the plot. It's a Sci fi movie that takes place on an epic scale with each detail being intentional. You can try to force symbolism on shallow movies to pretend they're deep but this one had symbolism throughout that wasn't explicitly explained. You have to actually think and put in some effort to see the whole message. It's like an iceberg.
>>
>>79075407
lol
>>
>>79075140

Well said, friend.
>>
>>79075200

Note how the AI is the most human thing in the movie while all the humans emote like planks.

>Hal kills an astronaut
>surviving astronaut can't be bothered to emote anymore so than someone annoyed at their taxes
>>
>>79074821
Films are a visual medium, the written narrative should just be a tool to deliver the visual narrative.

And 2001: A Space Odyssey is all about the visual narrative.
Literally zero exposition, all of the story is told through framing and composition, editing (the famous bone to spaceship jump cut) and the performances, combined with other autistically well executed filmmaking elements.

And when you tell a story that way, it is practically timeless, it will never be "dated" because every generation projects their own idea onto that visual narrative and get's something else from it, while the themes and vision stays the same.

I hope this makes some sense, I'm a bit drunk right now.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.