[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you didn't like this, you either have no taste or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: arrivalposter.jpg (286KB, 800x1249px) Image search: [Google]
arrivalposter.jpg
286KB, 800x1249px
If you didn't like this, you either have no taste or you are a contrarian.
>>
>>79062942
What did you like about Arrival?
>>
>>79063013
Great plot, great cinematography, great acting. It was a very aesthetic movie.
>>
Sure thing, fascist
>>
>>79062942
It's pretty good. Don't think it's Villanueve's best work though.
>>
File: 145619856159.jpg (59KB, 647x404px) Image search: [Google]
145619856159.jpg
59KB, 647x404px
>>79062942

It's the most dishonest movie of 2016. It's a mixture of two movies and neither is given the time to be explored in any meaningful way. One is the alien story which is initially interesting but rushed as the movie goes along with very predictable Hollywood-y stereotypes of everyone not American, especially the Chinese, and a terrible plottwist that ruins the grounded exploration of human-alien contact. The other is a story about offsprings, asking questions as to whether you should bring someone to life if you know they'll die a horrible death, whether it's right or wrong to share certain information with your spouse or to shield them from their pain, whether creating offspring is in their benefit or yours. The problem is that the movie never really explores these questions and only slightly touches on them before returning to the alien story. Ultimately, the movie is just a mess, a well made mess with great acting, cinematography, and music, but story-wise, it's pretty bad.
>>
File: sicario.jpg (148KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
sicario.jpg
148KB, 670x377px
Sicario was better
>>
>>79063084
>Great plot

Fo mate the plot was a big pile of shit. I still enjoyed it tho cause I agree with the rest of your statements.
>>
>>79063384
>dishonest
stopped reading there. this honest/dishonest binary is by far the dumbest criticism i've yet to encounter, even more so than the pretentious one.
>>
>>79062942

I thought it was fucking stupid, but that's just because I'm smart.
>>
>>79065032
basically this except fuck this guy
>>
>>79062942
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3aIQOhOFY
@26:44
>>
>>79063384
>The problem is that the movie never really explores these questions and only slightly touches on them
That's what makes it subtile and powerful at the same time.
>>
>>79062942
It's not like I totally hated Arrival, but I find Adams annoying & Renner flat in nearly everything they do. The story moved way too slow in the first half, the decryption of the Alien language wasn't given adequate exposition & the ending was over-blown happy Hollywood sap!
>>
>>79062942
I liked it but damn is that poster shit.
>>
>>79065652
This. Also
>oh hello general Shang
>oh hello savior of the world ! I will never forget what you said
>what did I say ?
>the dying words of my wife. Oh and here is my number in case you would need to call me. See you later !

This was so stupid and conveniant. It cannot be a future memory because there is no way Shang would talk about the past event that way and drop those plot devices, especially if the past event needed two pieces of informations to even happen in a first place
>>
>>79066253
>It cannot be a future memory because there is no way Shang would talk about the past event that way and drop those plot devices, especially if the past event needed two pieces of informations to even happen in a first place
This. As a big sci-fi fan I saw the ending coming a mile away and they fucked it up.
Is it time as a constant, like a many sided jewel? Or is it time as something manipulative? Some thing that changes and can change through action predicated up knowledge of time as it would exist with forementioned action taken?
It's a bullshit half measure thing they just don't bother to explain.
>>
>>79065154
No, it's what makes it shallow and one-sided.
>>
>>79062942
Fuck off I'm sick of this board. Arrival was weak. Completely lifeless, hamfisted and badly acted.
>>
>>79063384
>It's a mixture of two movies and neither is given the time to be explored in any meaningful way.
/this
>>
>>79062942
good movie, but I got kinda disappointed. Wanted a little bit more from the aliens, not just that they wanted to learn the people a fucking language...And when they got to the twist i was like just "oh ok, kinda cool". Got some tears in my eyes thou
>>
>>79062942

Meh, I liked it, but the 1 world 1 language BS was hard to believe. We could all learn 1 language tomorrow, but people would still bitch that they have to learn Nigerian or someshit.
>>
It was a solid 6/10. gorgeous cinematography, well directed for the most part (with some important flaws), very easy to watch, but the plot was not executed well in the slightest. Had more holes than swiss cheese, and the problem is when you ask about them you get the answer "bcuz they knew the future l0l"
>>
>>79063091

antifa please leave you dont know what you're doing
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.