[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The expanse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 51

File: The Expanse battle.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
The Expanse battle.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
Now this is a space battle
not star wars pew-pew-pew kindergarden fights
>>
>he's never seen BSG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBgjS_xQWXM
>>
File: 1477545651223.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1477545651223.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>Stronk martian womyn arm-wrestles with a robotic exoskeleton
>Wins
>>
>>79037064

>ships dont fire at each other until they are 50 foot away

its still fucking dumb.
>>
>>79037064
what the fuck is with the terrible product placement this season? FedEx on the fucking space pods, WHAT?
>>
>>79037107
BSG is shit. Pure utter shit.
>>
what the fuck
this is stupid as shit

and you know what makes it worse? Without the sound you can't hear all the awful grating accents

Why are they so close together, do you see naval ships jousting on the sea?
>>
>>79037391
they are close cause they are trying to get to the space station, then they end up in close quarters cause they are using it for cover. Also, you are a fucking idiot, ships at sea have no cover and can't maneuver fast, in space there is no drag.
>>
>>79037391
the ship they are in isnt meant for long range battle you utter mong
>>
>>79037319
Your opinion is shit. Pure utter shit.
>>
>>79037224
>>79037391
it was a surprise attack, they get close stealthy

>>79037162
still not BSG level mary sue
>>
>>79037107

I miss BSG.
>>
>>79037506
>>79037476
>>79037429
those expensive af turrents firing expensive ammo is silly, why don't they have bigger cannons
>>
Looks cool but i have no idea what ship is getting the inside shots.

In star wars you really dont need context its simple to even the most dumbest viewer
>>
File: Emilia goth 01.jpg (189KB, 503x600px) Image search: [Google]
Emilia goth 01.jpg
189KB, 503x600px
>>79037251

>Fedex delivery/breaching pod

Imagine not being able to enjoy things like this
>>
>>79037503
no, he is right.
but just defend BShitG

that fucking shakey cam in every scene is annoying, and let me not derailing the thread by talking about how shitty everything else in that show is (characters, politics)
>>
>>79037107

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NBpy2kStNg

K I N O
I
N
O
>>
>>79037591
Your opinion is just that, your opinion, and it is objectively shit. You're nothing more than the typical pseudo-intellectual contrarian on /tv/, so it's not surprising in the slightest.
>>
superior
>>
>>79037550
bigger the cannon the bigger the recoil and the quicker it is to accelerate the bullet. Also, if you use bigger bullets they can be shot down, like the missles they use for long range combat, the small guns can be used as defensive guns to fire down missles. Seriously, this is very basic sci-fi that has been thought about many times.
>>
>>79037429
>in space there is no drag.

real life spacecraft cant turn on a dime you fucktard. its a slow process that takes hours just to alter course slightly.
>>
>>79037664
not an argument
>>
>>79037698
it all depends on mass and acceleration thrust. Smaller ships could alter course quickly if they had high thrust. Learn basic math
>>
>>79037698
They have some kind of fusion driven RCS in this show.
>>
File: 1467555728053.png (526KB, 1000x580px) Image search: [Google]
1467555728053.png
526KB, 1000x580px
>>79037608
Seasons 1 and 2 of BSG are some of the best TV ever made, let alone military sci-fi.

True kino.
>>
I hope more directors go with soundless space scenes and I hope audiences don't go full pleb and reject soundless space scenes.
>>
>>79037551
>I'm a retard
Gotcha
>>
>>79037865

It was one of the best sci-fi shows I've ever watched before it gone DUDE EVERYONE'S A CYLON.
>>
>>79037107
>QUICKZOOM
>QUICKZOOM
>QUICKZOOM
>QUICKZOOM
>QUICKZOOM

The camera work is shocking
>>
>>79037693
basic sci-fi shit that has no basis in reality or how technology will change
>>
File: BattlestarHyades.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BattlestarHyades.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>79037992
I still enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 a lot despite the drop in quality; but 1 and 2 were on another level. It was the perfect blend of science fiction, military and politics.

Ironically, the worst episode of the entire series in in season 2, but we'll forget that bit.

The Expanse is really bringing me back to early BSG. It doesn't get the blend right, but it's close. It's by far the best thing Syfy has come up with since BSG, not that was hard to do.
>>
>>79037064
that was not how i imagined how the battle went down but i like it
>>
>>79038078
>camera work

Wow are you retarded?
>>
>>79037865
s2 was already retarded. Acted like they weren't near extiction.
>>
Julie ;_;
>>
>>79038166
High?
>>
>>79038240

I hope not, poor kid.
>>
>>79037064
So how did they win? Ever crewman on the other ship got shot? Pretty unusual to see a space battle that doesn't end with an explosion. How were they certain the other ship was disabled?
>>
>plebs who havent seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>>
>>79037064
That's what happens when you upgrade weapon before shield energy. Good thing they weren't in Mantis territory or it'd be worse.
>>
>>79038240
>>79038280
That's not Julie, that's A human child, no more than 4-5 years old, with an immunodeficiency genetic condition turned into a weapon by careful application of the protomolecule
>>
>>79037671
>aerodynamic space ship that never flies in an atmosphere
>>
You guys realize and space battle that happens within visual range is utterly ridiculous. Also there is no stealth in space because there's no way to mask your thermal signature. 'Battles' are going to take place over 100,000s of thousands of kilometers with kinetic missiles, and whoever gets hit first loses
>>
>>79037224
Ever see Master & Commander? Deception and surprise at close range can give you the edge needed to win.

The stealth frigate would have torn the Roci apart at long range and "standard" CQB ranges, as the simulation scene indicated.
So instead they use deception & surprise to catch it off guard, in a literal ship knife-fight, using the station as cover.
>>
>>79037764
Yeah if you want to kill your human crew
>>
>>79037608
The music is still the best ever made for a TV show. There was a hint of something unique just like BSG sound-wise in the S2 premiere of the Expanse, but the music never leads a scene. In BSG it certainly did.
>>
>>79038306
LGH did a good job but that's not really how space battles will be fought.
>>
>>79038351
>no way to mask your thermal signature
read the books, they can mask the thermal signature but it's not perfect
>and whoever gets hit first loses
read the books
>>
>>79037251
FedEx director has ties with Alcon Entertainment or something. It's an easter egg.
>>
>>79038351
Don't be so sure about that dumbass
Stealth exists today on planes that makes them fucking invisible to radar even at 20 km
An active broadcasting radar is a target
infrared kinda sucks, could be camoflaged against easily
Can't tell a decoy from a real object at 1 million km

It's going to be more like sub warfare than surface warfare

The weapons involved are silly, the lack of any armor is silly, the concept of big free floating stations is silly
>>
>>79038303
power went out and also did you miss the escape pods ejecting everywhere?
>>
>>79038497
>It's going to be more like sub warfare than surface warfare
It's going to be like no warfare we've ever engaged in
>>
>>79038351
>I know how the future will work.

wrong everytime
>>
>>79038351
>You guys realize and space battle that happens within visual range is utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, and it's why they did it. Crazy plan to catch the enemy by surprise in an attempt to even the playing field.

>Also there is no stealth in space because there's no way to mask your thermal signature.

Read the books, it's not perfect tech, it's ridiculously expensive and requires massive R&D efforts.
You CAN do it, but the expense required is so great that nobody can really justify it.

>'Battles' are going to take place over 100,000s of thousands of kilometers with kinetic missiles

That's what happens in the first season, with the Donnager battle, before it descends into CQC, as the stealth ships needed to board the Donnager

>and whoever gets hit first loses

Not as true as you think. Compartmentalization helps a lot to reduce damage.
>>
>>79038351
They were docked to a freighter heading to the station to get in close. Fucking watch shit before you start talking shit.

The real battles in this show do happen at BVR.
>>
>>79038425
you miss all the shit about high G? That's why they are strapped in with all the extra pressure.

The show explains all this but you retards still need it explained
>>
>>79038452
I'd like to know how they put enough armor on a spaceship to survive a kinetic missile hitting them at 25 miles per second and completely vaporizing half of the ship. Also, there really is no way to hide your heat signature that isn't complete bullshit, I mean you could figure out some way to direct all your emissions behind your ship, but then you couldn't maneuver without getting detected and you wouldn't be able to see anything in front of you.
>>
>>79038564
>The real battles in this show do happen at BVR.

Can't wait until Ganymede, shit's going to be great.
>>
>>79038497
>Stealth exists today on planes that makes them fucking invisible to radar even at 20 km
It makes them appear smaller, not invisible. It can also be countered by different types of radar, and when there's fuck all else out there for something small to hide amongst it doesn't matter.
>infrared kinda sucks
Against the background of space it would be hard to mask IR emissions, especially since those are the ONLY way to remove waste heat from your spacecraft.
>Can't tell a decoy from a real object at 1 million km
The only way to make a convincing decoy is to have it match whatever it is you want to hide, in IR emissions, engine drive plume etc. So that's less viable than you think.

Space warfare isn't going to be like naval surface or subsurface warfare, it will be something else entirely.
>>
>>79038632
I haven't read the books, but I'm getting more tempted by the day.
>>
>>79038619
>I'd like to know how they put enough armor on a spaceship to survive a kinetic missile hitting them at 25 miles per second and completely vaporizing half of the ship.

It's going so fast that it just punches holes through the ship, it doesn't "vaporize" it.

>I mean you could figure out some way to direct all your emissions behind your ship, but then you couldn't maneuver without getting detected and you wouldn't be able to see anything in front of you.

You just figured out how the stealth ships work. They're mostly reliant on external sensors using tightbeam communications to be their "eyes" while they sit still.

Read the books.
>>
>>79038657
>in IR emissions, engine drive plume etc. So that's less viable than you think.

>what is flares
>>
>>79038659
You should, they're great and better than the TV show. The two are also different enough that you can enjoy them both.
>>
>>79038696
And how long will those flares last? It would be pretty easy to use spectroscopy to differentiate between a simple flare and a spaceship engine exhaust plume
>>
>>79038659
The books go into detail about a lot of things that the shows don't openly explain, as the show takes "show, don't tell" to heart.
If you want to know about how the space combat works in this setting, what the stealth ships are & how they work (and their limitations), you should read them.
>>
>>79038696
That would have to be a hell of a flare to match the drive plume of a fusion engine.
>>
File: mbIQ0HU[1].jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mbIQ0HU[1].jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
didn't recall
was Ashur in season 1 too?
>>
>>79038772
>It would be pretty easy to use spectroscopy to differentiate between a simple flare and a spaceship engine exhaust plume

That's kinda the point, it gives you time. That's what decoys do, give you time.
>>
>>79037064

>tfw all those civilization destroyed when in billions of years some of those stray railgun pellets strike their planets at relativistic speeds
>>
>>79038690
But then couldn't an enemy ship easily detect the external sensors, which are most likely using an active detection method, and destroy them effectively blinding the stealth ship and forcing it to move, thereby immediately revealing its position
>>
>>79038821
A few seconds of time isn't going to do you much good when it's going to take your missile an hour or 5 to reach its target anyway
>>
>>79038772
>>79038787

It doesn't have to match every signature, it just has to approximate the ones used for targeting.

If there is even a moment of doubt or hesitation the decoy has done its job.

>>79038732
>>79038780
Yeah I think I will. The show seems to have a decent amount of thought put into it, and I keep hearing the books are even better.
>>
>>79038874
>But then couldn't an enemy ship easily detect the external sensors, which are most likely using an active detection method,

They wouldn't need active detection, just infrared detection like standard initial detection.
LPIR (Low Propability of Intercept Radar) is a thing too, so for targeting data the sensors could still stay undetected.
>>
>>79038874
Why would they be using active sensors? (not memeing, generally curious as to why you think they'd be necessary)
>>
>>79038863
space isn't a closed system, conservation of momentum isn't a thing when the projectile is affected by gravitational forces and half life
>>
>>79038978
gravitational forces could keep accelerating some of those strays forever until they hit something. and their half life could be longer than the estimated remaining age of the universe for all we know
>>
>>79037162
I liked season 1, I'm not going to watch season 2 because that
>>
>>79038961
Passive sensors for target detection, active sensors (RADAR, LIDAR) for targeting information.

The external sensors, being small, cold, dead objects, would be hard to detect when operating passively.
So the stealth ship would lie in wait, until the rough targeting data from passive sensors indicates favourable conditions, at which point the active sensors fire up to give precise targeting data in a short amount of time.
>>
>>79039044
i'm too tired to argue with an armchair scientist
>>
>>79037162
>hating on best girl
>tfw no amazonian martian
>>
>>79038931
>It doesn't have to match every signature, it just has to approximate the ones used for targeting.
>If there is even a moment of doubt or hesitation the decoy has done its job.
When drive plumes are visible across the entire width of the solar system, the timescales involved get so large that shaving seconds off is not worth it whatsoever.

In the Expanse it doesn't fucking matter because they have magic stealth coatings that turn things near-invisible except for being slightly above the background IR reading.
>>
>>79039088

>ive no arguments so ill use an ad hominem attack
>>
>>79038813
knew I recognized him from somewhere
>>
File: gorilla concerned.jpg (134KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla concerned.jpg
134KB, 333x500px
>>79039058
>He hasn't read Caliban's War
>>
>>79038961
It would be necessary if both ships are using this method of stealth combat, otherwise it would be two ships and their external sensors waiting for the other guy to make a move, forever. And space is so vast that as soon as someone made the first move at a close-ish range, the battle would be over pretty much immediately, with the victor being the guy who waited longer.

So your best bet, if you're in a ship moving towards an area where you think an enemy vessel might be hiding out, is to use any method you can to detect the enemy from as long of a range as you can to give you the biggest chance of surviving his first attack, and then counterattscking. But because he's gonna be in stealth mode too the only way to do this would be using active sensors to find him.
>>
>>79039058
it's your loss, caliban's war is where the books really took off
>>
has anyone read all of the books?
are there aliens yet?
>>
>>79039082
No, I appreciate that - I'd interpreted what you (or the anon that posted about active sensors) meant was a stealth ship running with active sensors on all the time - which made no sense (which is why I asked)

>>79039297
They show up in book one dude
>>
>>79039316
>They show up in book one dude
i dont mean the protomolecule. i read hints that there is alien activity beyond other gates.
>>
File: killerqueen.png (25KB, 127x127px) Image search: [Google]
killerqueen.png
25KB, 127x127px
>>79038338
>needing to enter the atmosphere to fuck shit up
>>
>>79037064
>phasers breaching the ship hull that easily

what a joke
>>
>>79039297
aliens are dead, Bad Thingâ„¢ happened to them. We're probably going to find out what. Maybe. We don't know
>>
>>79039201
IR sensors are the best way to detect enemies, in the book they detected them using IR sensors then when they went into the battle they found out the enemy had parked two ships close together to disguise them as one big ship because they knew if anything used any other kind of sensors to detect them they would be blown away by the station's defense system
>>
>>79039361
They're not phasers, they're bullets traveling at very high speeds which most certainly would punch through any metal armor you put on your ship.
>>
>>79039350
Book three we see a projection (it's really difficult to describe) of what built the proto-molecule in the first place, we all see more proto-molecule creatures that weren't made from anything in our solar system - and some kind of lizard like creature
>>
File: Flip and Burn.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Flip and Burn.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
>>79039425
>they found out the enemy had parked two ships close together
I was waiting for that oh shit moment after them showing through the simulations just how difficult taking on one would be
>>
>>79039425
But why, when they 'went into battle' did they even get close enough to see that it was actually two different ships. They should've been in a battle as soon as they detected an IR signature, by launching missiles at it.
>>
>>79039511
launching missiles at it.
And watch as their torpedo's get swatted out of the sky by PDC fire. Some strategist you are
>>
>>79038128
>Ironically, the worst episode of the entire series in in season 2, but we'll forget that bit.
People hate on Black Market but I always thought Hero and A Day in the Life from Season 3 were way worse.
>>
>>79039511
>launch missiles at it
>station defense systems instantly detects where you are and blows you into space dust
>>
>>79039630
>fly towards enemy ships
>station defense systems instantly detect where you are and blow you into space dust
>>
Stop being autistic both of you: the book isn't plothole-free and some plot holes are needed so interesting things can happen.

Even rl situations have "plot holes" because sometimes people / systems designed by people arent as capable as advertised
>>
>>79037064
Is this show good? The last Syfy show I tried was Dark Matter and I hated it.
>>
>Pretend to be a harmless piece of cargo broken off a poor Belter rust bucket
>Fool them long enough to get you into position
>>
>>79039849
Yeah it's alright. First two episodes are a bit janky and poorly paced but it gets better from there.
>>
>>79039849
its their best show since bsg and alot of people recommend it
>>
>>79037064
all sci-fi is for kids
at least star wars doesn't try to hide it
>>
>>79038351

The whole point of the battle was pretending the Rocinante was an adrift cargo module until she could get into CQB range.

They explained and showed this distinction very, very clearly in multiple battles throughout both seasons of the show, but you just had to have something to chimp over.

"I didn't watch it, but it was terrible" -- /tv/
>>
>>79039938
All fiction is for kids. Real productive men and women only consume documentaries and investigative reports.
>>
>>79038078
I love quickzoom. It's a good way to represent scale, which works in space battles. Otherwise you are getting claustrophobic, like in Expanse or toy-like, like SW. The Expanse does a good job of keeping tension on small scale though, so its claustrophobia doesn't feel wrong even during big moments.
>>
>>79039938
>not reading Isaac Asimov

Look at this uneducated amerifat
>>
>>79040179

some of his stuff hasnt aged that well tbqh. i think he himself said that he had to dumb down some of his stuff so it was more accessible to laypeople
>>
File: 1483312596914.jpg (194KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1483312596914.jpg
194KB, 1000x750px
>>79039938
>>79040000
All consumable media is shallow and infantile escapism for brainlets. An true intellectual like myself would never engage with such mindless drivel.
>>
Caliban's war is best book

Sam is best waifu.
>>
>>79040518
>Sam is best waifu.
Agreed, pity she's gay and gets her face blown apart
>>
>>79037251
they are makeshift pod made with containers and a some rockets
>>
>Crew enjoying dinner
>Talking about cheese
>Miller walks in and ruins it

Is there a better character?
>>
Why was Mister Dresden a spergy jew instead of a charismatic sociopath
>>
Why is the world so hurtfully realistic, as there are barely any white man
>>
>>79041937
anon just projected himself on Boromir
>>
>>79042640
oh wow, wrong thread
>>
>that ep2 end "shot"
What the fuck was he thinking? WTF did he do that?
>>
>>79040890

but he didn't ruin it, he made it even better by adding to the conversation even.

Also Amos is my favorite cuddly psychopath teddy bear
>>
>>79043383

"It's punishment."
>>
File: Rocinante docking.webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rocinante docking.webm
3MB, 888x500px
>>
File: Battle simulation.webm (2MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Battle simulation.webm
2MB, 888x500px
>>
File: Expanse MARS STRONK.jpg (305KB, 1914x1077px) Image search: [Google]
Expanse MARS STRONK.jpg
305KB, 1914x1077px
So is everyone on Mars a goddamn super soldier?
>>
File: Freighter Guy Molinaari.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freighter Guy Molinaari.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>79043383
He's been banging on about getting revenge for Julie/Eros the whole two episodes.
What did you think was going to happen?
>>
>>79038351
>Also there is no stealth in space because there's no way to mask your thermal signature.
Because you can't shut down your engines. EVER
>>
>>79044306
Are you being sarcastic or something? There are more things on spacecraft that make heat than engines.
>>
>>79044392
You can shut down the coffee machine too.
>>
>>79044483
And the power generator? All the electrical systems? Body heat?

For how long are you going to do that?
>>
File: Rocinante battle2.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rocinante battle2.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>
File: VR headset2.webm (2MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
VR headset2.webm
2MB, 888x500px
>>
>>79039765
>i didn't watch it
>>
>>79044521
Well for the battle that just happened in the show the Roci spent multiple days in almost 0 power mode with the crew living inside the combat suits watching a timer count down to the fight with no idea how close they would actually be to everything when they went to battle stations, in the book. The freighter also had the loose cargo ruse going for that whole time too. I really didn't like cut down that whole sequence with it happening the last couple minutes before they were on top of Thoth.
>>
>>79045862
Because they were trying to look like a piece of debris rather than an active warship. Thoth could still see them, but didn't regard it as being anything to be concerned about. Kind of like a Trojan Horse.

That's different from the layperson thinking stealth = invisible.
>>
>>79037476
>>79037429
>>79037391
Fucking iphone faggots. At least punctuate correctly.
>>
>>79040254
It's aged far better than virtually all of Heinlein's stuff, but I think in the end it'll be Alfred Bester that surprises us by being the hidden prophet.
>>
>>79043546
I wish 2 b bullied by stronk mars gf!!
>>
>>79043546
Not hardly, but they get filled with enough propaganda to make them all believe that they are. Bobbie's just enough of a freak to actually back up the talk even among other Martians, so she's actually closer to being the Real Deal than just about anyone else we meet in the books when it comes to Martian Ubermensch syndrome.

Besides, for all her physical amazingness, she's horrifically flawed psychologically and super super butthurt over the not-shooting "war" between Earth and Mars that cost Mars almost a century of terraforming time in order to achieve what amounts to a farce of a detente.
>>
File: 08e8f41e4d4e73a70096735ffdf867fb.jpg (195KB, 575x1377px) Image search: [Google]
08e8f41e4d4e73a70096735ffdf867fb.jpg
195KB, 575x1377px
>>79046192
but she doesn't even look strong?
>>
>>79038657
>Against the background of space it would be hard to mask IR emissions, especially since those are the ONLY way to remove waste heat from your spacecraft.

No it'll be extremely easy to mask it, all you have to do is have an actively cooled shield between your ship & whereever sensors might be
As long as your radiators are not facing the enemy, they will be invisible to them
>>
>>79044808
>infiltrate top secret science lab station
>asshat NEETs strapped into chairs shitposting on 4chan

The future is SO golden, man.
>>
>>79046238
listen to me

listen

i want her to bully me k?
>>
>>79046244
How do you know where you enemy is? What if they have passive sensors all over the place?

What if they are doing the same?
>>
>>79046248
>SJW Detective unplugs your internet
>REEEEEEEE
>>
>>79043621
Did Sheev ordered to build that station?
>>
File: 1486005196327.jpg (107KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1486005196327.jpg
107KB, 1200x675px
>>79046302
>tfw you realize Miller shot moot in the head
>>
File: 1411597690655.gif (2MB, 240x190px) Image search: [Google]
1411597690655.gif
2MB, 240x190px
>>79046261
Here you go you filthy animal.

It did make me kek that a show going hard sci fi had a female marine.
>>
File: 1458420907609.jpg (112KB, 995x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1458420907609.jpg
112KB, 995x1002px
>>79046374
I'm assuming the martians do some genetic tampering so that all their children are born at peak human potential or something idk still gonna fap
>>
>>79046270
Now this is a legitimate concern, but in the world of the Expanse it makes sense if the target you're hiding from doesn't have access to the information networks that would let them know you're there. Earth and Mars are both tracking everything, but if your target isn't military then they only have their own ship sensors to go on.
>>
>>79038497
You can't dissipate heat well in space, it's kind of hard. Little particles to get rid of the heat so you have to either store it (and face the possibility of cooking) or use giant protruding things to increase the surface area. Modern fighters use angles to not bounce back radar in the same direction, among other forms of countermeasures (including electronic and absorbing materials). I can't wait for asteroids with rocket on them and orbital bombardment, worse but cleaner than atomic weapons.

If it were up to me I'd enforce a one-world government and have a fascist society with the sole goal of seeding the solar system, and then the galaxy. Our world is fragile and faggots like capitalists and capitalist-libertarians just wanna make a buck at the planet's expence.
>>
File: ben.png (190KB, 278x437px) Image search: [Google]
ben.png
190KB, 278x437px
so, anons, what are you?

>Earther
>Belter
>Martian
>>
>>79046515
an earther who wants a qt martian to tell me how pathetic i am and that I'm not worth the air i breath
>>
>>79046515
MARS PRIDE
SYSTEM WIDE
GAS THE BELTERS NOW
>>
>>79046558
GAS THE BELT
SPACE WAR NOW
>>
>>79037107

>not the freefall atmospheric jump
>>
>>79046515
Martian, is there even another choice?
Over crowded stinkypoo planet or over crowded stinkypoo asteroids?
>>
>>79046515
>Belters are funny talking losers
>Mars are retards united by terraforming (when its done what happens to your identity then huh) Also female marines kek
>Earth is the only way to go. Naturally earth are portrayed as semi incompetent assholes. And they are still the best.
>>
>>79046640
go pollute your oceans you piece of shit lazy unworthy earther scum
>>
>>79046689
How much waste do 30 billion people produce?
>>
>>79046515
Lighthugger captain. Fuck you, imma make the first lighthugger.
>>
>>79046689
Get off my planet, you hippy, traitor fuck
>>
File: Lighthugger.jpg (120KB, 1200x820px) Image search: [Google]
Lighthugger.jpg
120KB, 1200x820px
>>79046703
So you're Martian?

Conjoiners a best
>>
>>79046701
Enough to make belters jelly about synthetic food. I love mushrooms but come the fuck on, you know all that is being recycled if you have 30 billion people.
>>
I'd love to engage in some terraforming on earth, ie, nuke their fucking cities to dust so then maybe some of them will have to get off their asses and build a civilization like we did
>>
>>79039431
yea because people use machine guns to kill tanks huh?
>>
>>79037064
Damn. Picked up
>>
>>79043500
>africans in space

noone would tolerate their bullshit in a small community
>>
>>79043546
Wouldn't being on Mars make her weaker as her muscles don't need to do as much work due to the lower gravity?
>>
>>79046270
You obviously have your swarms of autonomous drones killing their pickets

Space is a big place, small sensors on low power drones are not going to have massive sensitivity

Infrared contact also doesn't give you stuff like distance/speed/size/etc
>>
>>79046959
martin kids get all the best drugs to help with growth and bone density. the belters get shit drugs in comparison
>>
>>79046959
You can lift more bro. Just increase the weight and do the same reps and you're good. Not to mention they still mainly work on ships, so equal in terms of how they train there. This is why the 2nd book has conflict. The second book deals with gene hacking made possible by the protomolecule iirc. They take immunocompromised children and subject them to viral hacking via protomolecule-related research and create super soldier monstrocities, trying to get the upper hand on military soldiers. The plan, I think, was to then sell it to the gmhighest bidder.
>>
>>79046959
1. She has Polynesian ancestry
2. Lower G means you can grow taller, but have weaker bones (without supplements+training)
3. She is crazy for weight lifting
4. Martian military training often includes working in 1G in case of the need to invade Earth

So with 1 that gives her a natural increase in size, 2 makes her taller and the bone density difference is countered by 3 and 4. In the books she is around 7ft tall, obviously they were not going to find an actress who grew up in Martian gravity to play that part.
>>
>>79047085
If any of this was cast properly she would look like this >>79046374 instead of a lump of weak shit

Polynesian girls aren't strong just fat.
>>
>>79046801
As a matter of fact, yes.
>>
>>79046609
Most Belters don't even live in the asteroids. They're just stopping by for a couple days before getting back into their shitty rock mining ship to spend another couple weeks with only 1000ft or less of living space.
>>
File: Mars.webm (329KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mars.webm
329KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: 1461013141712.png (16KB, 691x597px) Image search: [Google]
1461013141712.png
16KB, 691x597px
>>79047085
>In the books she is around 7ft tall
>>
File: MCRN Scirocco.webm (614KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
MCRN Scirocco.webm
614KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: Space Race.webm (2MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Space Race.webm
2MB, 888x500px
>>
File: hiding torpedo.webm (2MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
hiding torpedo.webm
2MB, 888x500px
>>
Link plox.
>>
>only real qt dies 1st episode 1st season
what were the thingking?
>>
>>79048390
>Giving a shit about the bald hooker
>>
>>79047946
Dem attitude control thrusters
Dat using the RCS to slow velocity when the main engine is too much
>>
File: The-Expanse.jpg (302KB, 1075x541px) Image search: [Google]
The-Expanse.jpg
302KB, 1075x541px
>>79037064
I hope they keep using the longer 1 minute intro for the rest of the season
It's pure scifi kino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8
>>
>no Europe underwater city
>no Jupiter stations
>no Callisto power stations
>>
>its another sci-fi setting with colonized mars!
>it's another setting where Mars rebels!
>it's another setting where Mars are the good guys and Earth are the bad ones!

woah, all this originality
how can they can get away with it my god
>>
>>79049339
>Mars rebels
What?
>>
File: logh20.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
logh20.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>79038435
You having a laugh m8?
>>
>>79043546
That robot can probably be set to different strengths.

It was probably on child mode.
>>
>>79044808
It would've been much easier to murder them before unplugging them.
>>
>>79038111
>doesn't like mass accelerators
Gtfo pleb
>>
File: VR headset.webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
VR headset.webm
3MB, 888x500px
>>
File: Stealth ship rail gun.webm (926KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Stealth ship rail gun.webm
926KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>79048390
>implying naomi isn't top qt
>>
>>79037733
ad hominem is best argument.

eat excrement
>>
Reddit The Show

If you liked The Martian this is the show for you
>>
>>79049913
I like reddit

and also I like you

I like excrement and retardation overall
>>
File: battle 01.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
battle 01.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>79037391
Well simple, they turned off all the systems and hand the 2nd ship say they were chasing a bit of salvage, till it was close enough to be very close range.

(Not OP, but the guy who made the webms
>>
>>79037698
>>79037764
>>79038425
1 G thrust allows 10 m/s2 change in motion. That a shit tone of change. Let alone if you do 5-6 Gs
>>
File: Fan Service 01.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Fan Service 01.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>79049837
Must admit, she does have a nice body. But so did s1e1 girl.

Best girl going to be bobbie.
>>
>>79050772
I really hope they get the psychological side of her character right, she'd be very easy to mess up.
>>
>>79051985
Yep, she will be very good, or god awful
>>
>>79037162
yeah that was retarded.

in the book draper says "give me a gun, i'm a soldier. get me that suit, i'm a superhero." she shouldn't be able to overcome the strength of the suit with her own muscles. the entire purpose of powered armor is to do the work of muscles, better. the suit would have crushed her, easily, just as she can crush a bulkhead in the suit.

this shit triggers me, i feel like the second seasons is going to stray further from the books. miller is the only thing keeping me interested.

Hey... we need to talk
>>
>>79043500
I claim that girl as my new spacefu
>>
>>79037698
it's a corvette, the engine is huge for the mass of the ship, it's literally designed to go fast.

in the book alex estimates a theoretical upper limit of 25g, which would kill the crew

amos upgrades the engine in the 3rd book because "it's fucking awesome"
>>
>>79051985
I wish they hadn't messed with Amos so much, he's way funnier in the books, all of them are
>>
>>79052452
books are just better by far

syfy did a lot better in the first season, i'm feeling like they might have lost the touch.
>>
>>79052452
Gotta get the drama in somewhere
>>
>>79052651
I think they understood for a season 3 they needed to pick up the pace. we won't have a episode of them trying to fix the craft needless to say.
>>
>>79037608
>>79037107
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYIHbVfXto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJ4gDHI0VI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQ7wCLpcD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV810XsF1BM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCMAzfon_Lk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSZ8F2OhuR8
>>
>>79052861
Are you telling me Sam is cut?
>>
>>79053155
probably. they're cutting POV character Prax, or pushing him to 3rd season. Sam is only a supporting character.
>>
>the new season starts
>first scene
>2 black guys and 2 white girls on mars

really made me think
>>
File: The-Expanse-Remember-the-Cant-3.png (397KB, 688x366px) Image search: [Google]
The-Expanse-Remember-the-Cant-3.png
397KB, 688x366px
>Martians in season 1
>Imperial-like cold and menacing people

>Martians in season 2
>strong women and niggers

fuck this shit
>>
File: 1439783503597.jpg (169KB, 721x717px) Image search: [Google]
1439783503597.jpg
169KB, 721x717px
>>79053316
>Bobbie
>white
>>
>>79053205
I think they cast terry Chen as Prax.

sam might be a bit role.
>>
>>79053316
Missing the fact that bobbie is a six foot plus polynesian.
>>
>>79053541
she still can be blacked
>>
>>79053155
Sam has been seen in season 1 and 2.

She the asian aide to Fred.
Alli Chung plays her
>>
>>79037251
Showed a package getting blown the fuck apart, like most of my shit fedex delivers to me
>>
>>79053581
No. That's his head of security whose name I forgot. It wouldn't make sense for Sam to get taken on the Thoth mission. Sam doesn't appear until they have to fix Roci after that fight.
>>
>>79038425
What he says >>79038594
They call them gravity couches, and they pump drugs/adrenaline into the person so they can function at the higher levels of forced placed on them and not pass out
>>
>>79037251
FedEX CEO and his daughter have helped finance projects that the producers have made.

Also in addition, the Expanse is one of the most expensive shows per episode made for TV right now. They need the product placement.

>YFW the Ninja Bike subplot/product placement paid for 2 episodes of Babylon 5.
>>
>>79043383
He was persuading them to keep him and his research alive, justifying his actions in the belt.

He realized it's too dangerous and out of control, killed him to prevent anything to shift the balance of power or anything altering human development
>>
File: CCuhdx7VEAA5KxD.png (178KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CCuhdx7VEAA5KxD.png
178KB, 600x338px
>>79053661
here she is in Season 1
>>
>>79053756
>>79053661
And yes, might not be the same secuirty gal in season 2, but she was listed as Sam in season 1, so I suspect we might see her again.
>>
File: 1456883327657.jpg (85KB, 835x650px) Image search: [Google]
1456883327657.jpg
85KB, 835x650px
>This thread
>hey everyone check out this cool new train
>whoa so cool
>pft whatever kid trucks are better than trains
>did you see the new train
>pft no who cares trucks are better
>ok then
>pft you dont get it trucks are just better only like trucks
>>
>>79038619
>I'd like to know how they put enough armor on a spaceship to survive a kinetic missile hitting them at 25 miles per second
The guns in the webm are actually point-defense guns, used as CIWS to shoot down missiles.

Basically, most ideal battles happen at BVR with missiles and then you find out whose interceptor guns are better than whose missiles. The side with the better guns/missiles wins, or maybe everyone loses.

That's what happened to the Donnager in season1, their guns couldn't quite keep up with the missile spam and some made it through and fucked shit up like the main engines, then it was a slower death and boarding.

In the case of the Donnager, it was minutes between "We're having trouble tracking the missiles" to "main drive down" to "breaching pods incoming".

>>79038874
>But then couldn't an enemy ship easily detect the external sensors,
Yes but not necessarily ID them as sensor drones and you have to make noise doing it which makes you obvious to the stealth ship. Plus, the stealth ships are usually not expected. Except in OP's image (if it's the battle I think it is, read books but haven't watched season2) in which case that's kind of why it's CQC and not BVR.

>which are most likely using an active detection method,
PIR and EM and radio works too, but regardless, the sensors (basically scout drones) could look pretty innocent.

>and destroy them effectively blinding the stealth ship and forcing it to move, thereby immediately revealing its position
They can move without being too obvious, using stores of compressed hydrogen or steam I think. Even non-stealth ships can do that if they want to be less than obvious.

>>79039297
>spoilers
Yes, more or less. Possibly not as you hope but good enough for me.

>>79038338
>aerodynamic space ship that never flies in an atmosphere
Space isn't empty, micro-particles are all over the place and sandblast shit. Also, hydrogen is all over the place and both sandblasts and provides drag.
>>
>>79046238
>but she doesn't even look strong?
Not having seen the show but googling the actress, yeah she doesn't.

She's supposed to be Arnie in his prime. Not just fit but enormous muscles with extra muscles on top of them.

Hard to do justice irl
>>
>>79054033
>Space isn't empty, micro-particles are all over the place and sandblast shit. Also, hydrogen is all over the place and both sandblasts and provides drag.
You have to be going at relativistic speeds for that to even matter though.
>>
>>79046248
>>asshat NEETs strapped into chairs shitposting on 4chan
>>79046302
>>SJW Detective unplugs your internet
>>REEEEEEEE

Those are both actually pretty close to the truth.
Those scientists are retro-virally/lobotomised genetically engineered to be sociopaths who only care about results and not about what will be done with it or how ethical the research is. So basically /pol/ with science degrees.

>>79046433
>I'm assuming the martians do some genetic tampering so that all their children are born at peak human potential
She's Hawaiian, more or less. I mean all Martians come from somewhere. Mostly from Asia/India with a chunk of US southerners, which is why there are all these IndoChinese that speak with a Texan drawl. it's mostly a fake accent because Martians think it sounds 'frontier'
>>
File: nightshade_resized.jpg (4MB, 4200x1521px) Image search: [Google]
nightshade_resized.jpg
4MB, 4200x1521px
>>79054240
Slap a whipple shield or 4 out in front should be fine for most of that unless you're getting into high %s of C.
>>
>>79052282
Yeah, that kind of annoyed me too, as the suits are supposed to be able to rip someone in half if the user wants too
>>
>>79053416
Seriously I thought they were just like imperial japan.
>>
>>79038111
>every scifi ever should have lazer weapons because they're kewl xD
>>
>>79039358
That wasn't really anon's point, though.
>>
>>79047085
why is she so fat tho
>>
>>79050772
what episode
>>
>Real life women in us army cannot pass male standard tests
>Bobbie

I hate Bobbie so much, she's a fucking meme in book two she fights a protomonster whilst singing "I can do anything better than you"
>>
>>79047238
A 30mm rotary cannon is not a machinegun, and the GAU-8 can only penetrate early Cold War tanks, its useless against anything made past the 80's.
>>
>>79053756
>>79053802
TFW when she's not a cute redhead
>>
>>79043546
garbage fucking form lmao
>>
>>79054452
Good thing future anti ship guns work on future ships then.
>>
File: beautiful.png (461KB, 2894x2300px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.png
461KB, 2894x2300px
>>79037107
pegasus saving galactica after galactica jumps to new caprica is one of the most emotional scenes i've ever watched
>GALACTICA PEGASUS, LET US TAKE SOME OF THIS WORK OFF YOUR HANDS
>thank you lee

one of my favorite shows of all time
>>
>>79054517
this

why would anyone even fucking challenge the idea?

>REEEEEEE IT DOESN'T FIT MY WORLDVIEW!!!!!!!!!
newflash: it's fucking syfy, it's all bullshit
>>
>>79054240
>You have to be going at relativistic speeds for that to even matter though.
Nuh uh. Present day IRL probes encounter problems with micro-particles and usually have ablative shields on the front.
>>
>>79054350
>Yeah, that kind of annoyed me too, as the suits are supposed to be able to rip someone in half if the user wants too
Without having seen the episode, if this is just marines blowing off steam as they do, couldn't it just be seeing how high you can turn the suit before it beats you? Last one left wins the pot?
>>
>>79054595
Yeah that could work - would have to be on a really low setting though
>>
>>79039461
>>79039461
the authors have said shit is going to get seriously fucking weird. like Takeshi Kovacs meets borderlands, meets the greater galactic civilization weird.
>>
File: Exterior_of_Cupola_-_Exp28.jpg (14KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
Exterior_of_Cupola_-_Exp28.jpg
14KB, 300x224px
>>79054572
The liveable sections of the ISS are all surrounded in whipple shields, the Cupola module has big folding covers they close to protect the windows when its not in use. That's just for protection from micrometeoroids and debris in LEO and the engine burns it does are tiny
>>
>>79054669
Why are you posting that to someone that read the book?
>>
>>79043546
shes supposed to be like 7 foot tall, and THICCCer than a brick shithouse, and IS a super-soldier.
>>
>>79054754
because what i posted was only mentioned this past week in an interview, and how we are going to see the "Forerunners" or at least the shadows of them, and the cargo cult races that worship them.

all this stuff is going to be in future books.
>>
>>79054843
Spoiler dat shit nigga
>>
>>79054843
>Forerunners
>Races that worship them

I too played halo my friend.
>>
>>79054780
>shes supposed to be ... a super-soldier
Only in the suit. She's a genetically standard human albeit at peak fitness and the upper extremes of size and strength.
>>
>>79055644
its basically what they said. i just paraphrased it.

>>79055691
shes a stablized jucier from rifts. she is an honest to god supersoldier. that an nanoteh augments build them THICCC polynesian martian grills big.
>>
>>79055731
I hope you're mistaken

Aliens are boring, human conflict is good. If they add aliens I drop the series Tbh.
>>
>>79055731
>shes a stablized jucier from rifts. she is an honest to god supersoldier. that an nanoteh augments build them THICCC polynesian martian grills big.
I have no idea what you're saying but whatever it is, the books don't support it.
She's human standard there, just a prime specimen of the species.
>>
>>79055788
from what the one writer of the books said, the old races are scattered everywhere, dont really talk to each other or anyone much, and are crusty old space hermits, that cant speak human or really notice us, if they even cared enough to insult us. they are suffering from ennui. odds are 99.99999999999999999999999% of train exobiologists would even have a clue they were looking at an alien. the AI's might.

>>79055881
shes a military built special combat teams super soldier.
>>
>>79055935
>shes a military built special combat teams super soldier.
She's just a well trained marine in a high-tech combat suit, that's all. What kind of head-canon are you smoking?
>>
>>79055935
>the one writer of the books

There's two though?
>>
>>79055998
yep.

>>79055996
shes part of a specialized martian marines zero-g boarding team, there are bits and pieces peppered in the books about augments, nanotech that everyone on mars has from birth to help them grow up right in low gravity, and then the chemical conditioning.
>>
>>79056059
>nanotech

But it's just hormone shit and drugs even belters get, not nanotechnology
>>
>>79056088
belters are poor poo in the loo prajeet trash, not beloved colonists.
>>
>>79037224
>>79037107

It's not magic-tech sci-fi - this is near future skiffy and that means: no FTL, no magic energy shields, no transporters, no phasers, no lay-zers (unless they're for tightbeam coms), no magic sensor system that can detect a fart on a moon around a distant planet. So in terms of combat that means it's all point defence cannons, missiles and railguns.

The only tech conceit is the drive system on the ships that let's them get places in weeks instead of months.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Epstein_Drive

Comparing it to BSG, Star Truck or other space opera series is a waste of time.
>>
>>79037162
this so much. its not like she had even any visible muscles
>>
>>79038787
Why would you have your engine on though? If you're on an intercept course you won't need it until deceleration
>>
>>79056141
>it's tryhard stuff not like my dad sci-fi!!

Cringe
>>
File: mcrn donnager.jpg (127KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
mcrn donnager.jpg
127KB, 1200x900px
>>79037550
The ship they are fighting belongs to the secret bad guys. It has a railgun mounted on it - which is why the combat takes places as they duck and dive around the space station.

That someone has managed to mount a railgun on something that small came as a surprise to the Martian Navy early on in s1. Previously weapons that large and requiring so much power were thought to be big ship stuff.

The engagements seem to follow the usual non-magic tech space navy settings: missile duels at extreme range first; then railguns when the enemy is close enough to negate seeing and dodging the incoming rounds; and finally PDC's letting rip when close enough guarantee their hitting the target.
>>
>>79037671
Don't know if the Culture ever bothered developing space ships that were aerodynamic. They surround their stuff with mirror-forcefields anyway. Most of their ships look like glistening raindrops.
>>
>>79047809
Clunky old Earthgov ship vs Martian superior tech.
>>
>>79056141
>no lay-zers (unless they're for tightbeam coms)
Not ALWAYS true...
The Morman ship had a very, very big communications laser that gets weaponised
>>
File: mpv-shot0052.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0052.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
>>79037064
I think this is my favorite show from the past couple years
>>
>>79056359
>Don't know if the Culture ever bothered developing space ships that were aerodynamic
Some were, some weren't.

A lot of the actual battleships were aerodynamic but it wasn't really clear why.

Mistake Not... from The Hydrogen Sonata was described as missile-shaped but separated into disc shaped segments so those weren't too aerodynamic afterwards.

And yes, you didn't usually see the hull of their ships unless you were docking with them.
>>
File: 80_350x350_Front_Color-White.png (40KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
80_350x350_Front_Color-White.png
40KB, 350x350px
>>79056628
Well, obviously that laser is wearing magic mormon underwear.
>>
>A piece of China shit Martian space ship used by the main group stomps a Super high tech space ship to ground

lel, way to undermine your big bad
>>
>>79056059
This is not established in the show so it can straight fuck off
>>
>>79056818
>This is not established in the show so it can straight fuck off
It's not even established in the book, anon is thinking that their own fanfiction is real. She's really just a (very) big gal who grew up in low G.
>>
I hope the show continues to get across how intense space battles would be with high-G shit. Even if they have to have some exposition or just show no-name characters stroking out after a battle or explain the juice.
>>
>>79056802
The Rocinante is kind of high-tech itself, it's a torpedo boat from the Martian flagship which was considered the best ship in space until it got shot up. They attack with surprise and use a setting that's to their advantage rather than the enemies. That have some kind of help in the book though I forgot what.
>>
>>79056901
It still undermines the high tech space ships that are supposed to be "whoa, hold the fuck on, that shit is way ahead of us" when a ragtab bunch of mine workers and take just A SMALL PART of a Martian space ship and btfo. of these stealths.
>>
>>79056952
Really, the only amazing thing about the ship is that it had stealth technology and a rail gun on the front. That's really the only thing that made it a big thread. The Roci is quicker and built for combat. Of course it can hold its own. And Alex is an experience Martian pilot. He can take something on and kill it.
>>
>>79056952

So tactics and planning mean nothing now? You're a fucking moron
>>
>>79056983
So why are people in Earth and Mars scared of these things at all, how did they take down a bigger Martian fleet without a sweat in a non-surprise combat

>>79056996
The show makes a big deal out of characters reactions to how super hyper dyper mega giga massive WOW HOL UP tech these ships are. Earth are so spooked they nearly went to war in S1 with Mars because of them
>>
>>79057006
They got in close to the Donnager using stealth and numbers. They boarded and the Donnager self-destructed.
>>
>>79037064
next episode when?
>>
>>79056952
>>79056983
>>79057006
The books also make it clearer that the stealth ships are intended as capital ship (e.g. The Donnager) killers, they're not meant for fighting something like the Roci
>>
>>79056952
Well they got pretty fucked up doing it (in the books). Also, literally none of the crew are just average belters.

Alex is a retired Navy pilot who left Mars (and his wife and child) because he couldn't handle not flying 24/7.
Amos is a sociopathic killer and a good mechanic who really only cares about winning and fucking up anyone that hurts kids.
Naomi has advanced degrees in electronic engineering and shit and is generally the smartest person in the room.
Holden was a perfectly good Earth Naval pilot who has problems with authority (and tried and failed to punch an officer who ordered him to fire on a civilian ship).

I half agree with you, they do have the Big Damn Heroes thing going for them and generally enjoy a degree of plot armour but they're not without some skills and advantages.

>>79057006
>how did they take down a bigger Martian fleet without a sweat
It wasn't a fleet, it was one capital ship vs a fleet of stealth fighters with advanced torpedoes and railguns who attacked from surprise at their optimal range. I think a few stealth fighters were splashed too by railgun fire and missiles too.
>>
File: MCRN Tachi.png (859KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
MCRN Tachi.png
859KB, 1200x900px
>>79056802
The stealth ships are probably hugely nerfed when it comes to straight out fight. They rely on ambush techniques: sneaking in to use that railgun on unsuspecting ships to win before the target even knows a fight is on.

In packing that huge railgun on them they've sacrificed so much room for other weapons systems. It looks like they've only got the same number of PDCs as the Roci in that station fight. And they've got blind spots in their coverage too, which we get to see later on when Alex starts dancing the Roci around them while keeping at least 3 of this own PDCs on the enemy ship most of the time while taking less fire in return.
>>
>>79057039
Okay. Sure. SyFy could've showed that and made them struggle a more.

Don't take me wrong, I'm arguing because I like this show (I'm >>79056694), I wouldn't even bother posting if I didn't like this.

>>79057108
So they're just badly designed ships with a one specific function, IF the Martians or Earth are STILL scared of them when they learn more about them it will definitely fall to bad writing. All in all, they have one tactic that's surprise buttsex and that's it
>>
>>79056882
Thought Amos should have been hurt worse when he got caught out of his chair in the engagement. No chair, no juice, and only magnetic bootclamps to keep himself from being thrown about like a rubber ball.
>>
>>79057147
Yeah, this is pretty much the last battle the stealth ships show up in (at least in the books),
>>
>>79038564
>BVR
What is BVR you piece of shit.
>>
File: uwatm8.jpg (54KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
uwatm8.jpg
54KB, 453x500px
>>79057340
*autistic screeching*
>>
Looks like garbage.

I'm going to watch Firefly again.
>>
>>79057147
>So they're just badly designed ships with a one specific function
They have more than one role but dogfighting against smaller craft isn't one of their roles. That's essentially the opposite of what they're for.

Remember that the reason the Rocinante can even find them is because they're looking in the exact spot, which is around the station that they're guarding.

If they were just off in space, they'd never see them and get torpedoed from BVR, well at least have to dodge/intercept torpedoes without being able to return fire.

>>79057203
>pretty much the last battle the stealth ships show up
The station is almost the last hold out of the evil corporation that owned/built the stealth ships. I think it's the last time they're used though, if any others even exist.
>>
>>79057539
>I think it's the last time they're used though, if any others even exist.
Figured that too, but haven't read the latest book so was leaving it open for some rogue faction using one
>>
Why does this show have so many fucking niggers and nigresses?

Niggers can't swim. That is a fact. Do people think they will be able to function in zero G?

Nonsense.
>>
>>79057533
Firefly isn't realistic
you are not allowed to like it
>>
>Martians
>lead by STRONK WYMYSN.
>that belter group
>LEAD BY STOINRK YMYNS
>the Earth
>politics are made by a astonrk wwymyn

this is very funny because it doesn't apply to any real world scenario outside of tales of amazon
>>
>>79057729

It's more realistic than you are as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>79057786
agreed

I'm not going to watch this drivel anymore. Too much multicult cultural marxist bullshit
>>
>>79057729
Firefly's fun to watch but, much like SW, it is just a western set in space.
>>
Good lord, /pol/tards feelings are easily hurt.
Too many women? Too many black people?
If it makes you feel better, Avasarala is an under-secretary to a male who works for the male UN sec-gen. For now at least. And she never becomes sec-gen herself.

The Martians have a senate, I'm not sure we ever hear who their president is, the belters are led by one or other man, as much as they have an actual leader. You don't like Fred being black? He was Earth before he defected and lots of earth military colonels are black, even in the US.

Do you mean Alex? He's Indian you idiot.
Naomi is black/japanese but regardless, if that's too many for you then the real world must be a frightening and confusing place for you.
>>
>>79057916
The Martian president is a man, he's in NG
>>
>>79057786
literally has 1-2 women among multiple men
>>
>>79050772

did her bra just disappear in this scene?
>>
>>79058210
Space tech lingerie cannot be questioned anon
>>
>>79056141
why is her first instinct for getting shot with missiles to do the anime pose
>>
>>79058210
>did her bra just disappear in this scene?
Looks like it's on her tits to me.
Did you look at the webm in a thumbnail res or something? It's Holden's chest visible at the end.

Did you fap to Holden's chest thinking it was Naomi's tits?

>>79058344
>why is her first instinct for getting shot with missiles to do the anime pose
Apparently that's how you launch those mini-missiles. They're not in the books.
>>
File: The-Expanse-Julie-Mao[1].jpg (635KB, 1436x1920px) Image search: [Google]
The-Expanse-Julie-Mao[1].jpg
635KB, 1436x1920px
https://youtu.be/Ivej0OW7WZk
>>
New thread >>79058872
New thread >>79058872
New thread >>79058872
>>
>>79058883 no
New thread >>79058862
New thread >>79058862
New thread >>79058862
>>
>>79053664

Even this starts to lead it into magic sci-fi territory.

It's well into aliens (don't they bring a long FTL/wormhole tech?) and using technologies that wouldn't work, but it's still trying to limit to what we'd have in 200~ years. More surprised they don't throw big ass balls of hot plasma at each other, guess kinetic weapons are good enough.

It's not a hard sci-fi series, it's just using a setting that has limitations and hopefully they'll stick to it. This is small ship combat, larger vessels/fleets might be interesting and at first at much larger ranges (which allow for dodging if you can detect projectiles, as we've already seen). The power armour is bullshit though, complete anime sci-fi shit, anything worn by a person (size small enough to wear indoors) is still going to get drilled by 50cal+ ordinance, clearly they've got some magic unobtainium (but then you'd use unobtainium bullets).
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.