[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Villeneuve directing the reboot? How bad is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 19

File: dune-545ac3337ceca.jpg (907KB, 1000x1426px) Image search: [Google]
dune-545ac3337ceca.jpg
907KB, 1000x1426px
Thoughts on Villeneuve directing the reboot? How bad is it going to be?
>>
>>79022160
It will not fare any better under the mediocre hands of Villeneuve than it did with Lynch. He'll go all out and it will turn out like Lynch's did, or, more likely, he'll play it safe and it will be uninspired and miss a ton
>>
people always act like the Lynch version has so many severe misgivings...and it just simply doesn't.

It really does not deviate that terribly far from the book and when it does there is logic in it's decisions.

reading Dune is actually a lot like The Fellowship of the Ring. there is quite a lot of boring nonsense that doesn't go anywhere in both of their first "acts". Lynch and his writers knew what to cut and change, the same way Jackson knew to skip an ass-load of boring and unimportant shit between frodo's departure from bag end and arrival at Bree.
>>
I loved Dune but I've never seen the movie. Be real with me, how bad is it?
>>
>>79022697
>implying that Tom bombadil was boring.
>not realizing they could have stayed there the entire books super safe.
>>
File: OneWickedMan.jpg (104KB, 695x350px) Image search: [Google]
OneWickedMan.jpg
104KB, 695x350px
Every director has a bad movie. This shall be his. HBO Miniseries at best. Doesn't work out as a movie. Villeneuve also doesn't seem to be a trilogy guy.
>>
>>79022725
it's probably an order of magnitude better than you're imagining.

It is in and of itself a gom jobbar for plebs.

>>79022795
>hey dol merry ho! beyond my realm is scary!
>even though i act like this, i swear i'm not a fairy!
>i know she hasn't shaved, her pussys getting hairy!
>tonight me and the hobbits run a train on Goldberry!
>>
File: 51H2MFFFP6L.jpg (40KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
51H2MFFFP6L.jpg
40KB, 356x500px
>>79022160
Don't care, we already have an excellent Dune adaptation.
>>
>>79022725
there are only really two flaws
> paul is miscast and has no presence
> Pacing is a bit rushed to fit into a single movie

everything else is pretty great t.b.h.
>>
>>79023153
>Baron covered in boils
>My Name Is A Killing Sound
>Rain on Arrakis
>pretty good

face dancer detected
>>
It should look nice at least. Clean lines and sand.
>>
>>79022998
Mini-series just needed a much bigger budget and it would've been excellent. People complain about the age of actors, but you have to compromise at some points.
>>
it's gonna be shit like arrival was.
>>
watched this piece of shit the other day. how did lynch survive this?

>>79022725
it's a total trainwreck. the only redeeming factor of the movie is that pimple-covered flying fat man who is pretty funny (although he was not explained well, nor was his culture/society)
>>
>>79023266
This chart is so wrong it is offensive. Also, Rain on Arrakis is a recurring image in the book.
>>
File: LiquidAdderall.jpg (620KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
LiquidAdderall.jpg
620KB, 500x663px
>>79023562
Yeah but Paul doesn't make it happen by magic, despite what any Fremen has told you he's not magic. He's just good at martial arts and has super autism powers to crunch probability numbers without a calculator
>>
it will be good science fantasy
>>
>>79023659
In the books. The point of the Rain in the movie is to drive home that he is the Kwizatz Haderach. Lynch could only make one movie, so he just jumped Paul up to being the messiah. The sound weapons are stupid though.
>>
>>79023659
that's wrong though.

he's literally a psychic supreme being who has prophetic visions through the entirety of the book. He was not merely just a powerful mentat.
>>
Legendary, and a director who has a penchant for psychodrama, has already displayed a good grasp of scifi storytelling techniques, and who read the series as a kid is already a very promising combination. I'm having trouble coming up with a more ideal pairing, maybe Canal+ and Jodo?
>>
File: 5544_1a9e_500.jpg (88KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
5544_1a9e_500.jpg
88KB, 500x614px
>>79023763
Listen my fedaykin friend, he's not psychic. his prophetic visions are just drug fuelled hallucinations coupled with his extraordinary ability to calculate probability because yes he was trained as a mentat AND he was the an unexpected end result of a centuries old eugenics program.
>>
>>79023808
Main problem here is they could be pushing some bullshit political message. Keep in mind Dune would make for a perfect contrarian story about the Muslim people, for example.
>>
I've read dune books 1-3 and I loved most of it (despite not being a fan of sci-fi or fantasy), but they lost me by they end of the third book. There was just too much religious gibberish. And it seems I missed the transition from "fremen religion is made up by Paul's mom's sisterhood so Paul can rule arrakis" and "Paul is actually the Messiah, and he actually has magic powers, and his son also has actual magic powers"
>>
>>79023863
There's no transition. The Sisterhood knew they were going to get their Kwizats Haderach sooner or later, so the myths they planted reflect that.
>>
>>79023835
herbert straight up believed in psychic visions and all that shit because he thought his wife was. It's fairly clear Paul and his mother are quite psychic.

how the fuck do you explain Alia literally being the consciousness of another person?
>>
>>79022160
WHEN will god emperor of Dune be made into a movie?

One of the top herbert novels written, next to Jesus Incident
>>
>>79023835
This is a terrible reading of the book.

please re-read
>>
File: Aliciawitt-aliainlynchdune.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Aliciawitt-aliainlynchdune.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>79023964
You mean when she starts channeling the Baron? All Bene Gesserit can do that. Basically the idea is that a person's memories are passed along through their DNA and since she's *spoiler* the Baron's granddaughter she can therefore access his personality at will.
>>
>>79024044
don't bother man - he has not read the books.
>>
>>79022251
Villenue hasn't made a single bad movie yet. It will be kino
>>
>>79023845
Legendary is the chink company, anon. They don't subscribe to western id politics. They probably are just looking to..arrive..on the blockbuster market, with technical awards in mind.

But if the love and quality is really competitive, they could score a Return of the King and sweep awards season.
>>
>>79023885
So the breeding thing worked and he really has magic genes?
>>
>>79024044
This
Also just made me realize the assassins creed plot is a rip-off of this
>>
>>79024093
Yep.
>>
>>79024093
It's not really magic as much as Spice "unlocking the human potential" and Kwisatz Haderach is a an extreme conjunction of various aspects in one person.
>>
>>79024151
>>79024175
Are books 4-6 still worth reading?
>>
>>79024219
only the first book is worth reading
>>
>>79024219
personally I think only the first book is really worth reading. It's a perfect story. A boy grows up while orchestrating revenge for the death of his father and is crowned god emperor of the universe - the end!
>>
>>79024219
Past God-Emperor is the liminal zone between Frank-tier quality and Brian-tier
>>
>>79024219
God-Emperor is really good. I enjoyed 5 and 6 as well, but they're two thirds of an unfinished trilogy.

>>79024260
That's a very pedestrian way of reading it.
>>
>>79024260
That all happens in book 1? Damn I forgot that, I read the first three all in succession. The story of Paul's kids never interested me much and I know that somewhere he becomes some sort of blind hobo (although not really blind because he can see the future)
>>
File: Silverhawks_YesMan_9865.jpg (30KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Silverhawks_YesMan_9865.jpg
30KB, 320x240px
>>79024343
Yup, the second book is about his jihad across the universe and the third is about him taking off into the desert and then his son becomes a worm man.
>>
>>79024416
>the second book is about his jihad across the universe
It's more about the consequences of it and how it changed him and the Fremen.
>>
File: 1365168922091.gif (1MB, 330x271px) Image search: [Google]
1365168922091.gif
1MB, 330x271px
>>79023964
That's... that's how the prophecies work in Dune it's all calculations using spice.

>>79023994
That's the only way to read the book! It just says it! There's no fucking subtext to that part at all
>Mentats DO predict shit and make impossible calculations
>Spice DOES improve your brain speed so quick you start jumping the gun and know things before they happen
>Navigators really do see into the future
>Paul IS the result of a breeding experiment to make a fortune telling superman

It's just fucking... what is going on here??? I've just come out of a /tg/ thread where tards have gotten loose from their wranglers and are debating if Aragorn or Boromir is the better fighter as if it's a mystery when it's just fucking stated in the book Boromir is the strongest fighter.
>>
>>79024219
God Emperor is the best book in the series, but you can stop once you've finished it without missing anything good.
>>
>>79024980
If it were calculations based on probability then why does the Dune Tarot introduced in the second book by Paul's enemies cloud his visions of the future?
>>
>>79024980
>>Mentats DO predict shit
They don't really do that, Paul's (and Alia's, and Leto II's) abilities are unique. Mentats are just really good at analyzing data and making conclusions, but a Mentat without data is useless. Prescience goes way, way past it.

I mean, Paul starts getting prophetic dreams while he's on Caladan.
>>
Arrival was shit. I have no hope for this.
>>
>>79025079
I always read the Tarot as being mystic bullshit that's just random. The widespread randomness of it means people act in unpredictable ways

>>79025089
>but a Mentat without data is useless. Prescience goes way, way past it.
>I mean, Paul starts getting prophetic dreams while he's on Caladan.

Okay these are good fucking points, they don't have the unlimited date needed.
>>
>>79023726
sound weapons made sense since his name was powerful

it was a psychedelic novel idea
>>
>>79025234
It was a sloppy shortcut of explaining the weirding ways and reduces the Emperor's motivatons for wanting to kill leto down to oh well he has a new sound powered sooooper weapon.
>>
If they make a movie, how do you think the technology and fighting will be?

Will there be computers and ipods and hi-tech doodads?
Will everyone run around shooting each other with machine guns?

Or will it be legit?
>>
>>79025443
Not even Lynch's Dune missed the point so much, so I doubt it.
>>
>>79024219
This >>79025054
God-Emperor is God-Emperor-tier and has a perfect ending for the series. But don't touch the books that come after it or the prequels. Books 5-7 feel like a direct to dvd sequel, and prequels are just shit.
>>
File: dukeleto.jpg (68KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
dukeleto.jpg
68KB, 450x320px
>>79025604
>prequels

Paul, did I ever tell you about the Titan, Agamemnon? Adopting the names of prominent figures in history, the Titans directed the machines to rise up and seize humanity, installing themselves as dictators for life. Eventually the group separated to each rule their own worlds in the galaxy, utilizing the thinking machines that had originally brought them to power as the means to control entire planets. Realizing that their human bodies were fragile and their lifespans limited, they found a way to extend their lives indefinitely: installing their brains with the help of specialized interfaces into large, walking machine bodies. Calling themselves cymeks, the Titans were virtually unstoppable in these new fearsome, weaponized bodies. Having pushed to the very farthest limits of artificial intelligence, their own machines ran their empire for them for a century. Then, having mistakenly given one attendant AI program too much autonomy, the Titans suddenly found themselves overthrown and enslaved by an AI consciousness calling itself Omnius that seized control of the entire universe through the interconnected machine network. For over 900 years the Titans lived in perpetual servitude to Omnius, cruelly subjugating humanity, quelling human insurrections and secretly plotting their own return to power. And he was a good ancestor.
>>
>>79026180

Fucking neckbeard, did you just spoil the prequel books I never read. Anyway, how were the films and miniseries? I've never read any of the books.
>>
>>79024044
Weren't the Bene Gesserit only able to channel female ancestors? And Alia was posessed by the Baron's personality, while Bene Gesserit only bring up memories.
IIRC Leto and his sister were posessed as well, but by more benevolent personalities.
>>
>>79026416
perhaps but Alia is also one of those abominations which didn't normally happen so she may have some additional abilities.
>>
>>79022725
It's really bad, i don't know how people are defending it.
>>
>>79026416
Leto "created" his personality from a multitude of important ancestors of his.
>>
File: Dune.jpg (1008KB, 1707x788px) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
1008KB, 1707x788px
Dune is unironically my favorite film of all time.
>>
>>79022697
>clearly didn't get dune
>>
>>79022725
its in my top 5 sci fi films
>>
>>79022160
Can't he stick to making his own movies?
Why'd he even take this job (or the Bladerunner one)?
>>
>>79025443
It will probably be a bit more high tech than in the books. The little bible Paul gets from the doctor will probably be more of a tablet/e-book thing for example.
I doubt they will have guns in it. Hopefully it will indeed be only daggers, swords and such. And a few lasguns of corse.

I'm more interested in the art design though. I hope they won't go all grimderp and have everybody wear black and dark colors. The descriptions in the books for the clothing worn by the Baron or Feyd were pretty colorful. Also wondering if the emperor and the sardaukar will have Islamic influences in their uniforms.
>>
File: heart+plug+2.jpg (39KB, 712x299px) Image search: [Google]
heart+plug+2.jpg
39KB, 712x299px
>>79026180
Ha!

>star wars prequels
>hobbit
>dune: machine crusade
>star trek: enterprise

Why are prequels so uniformly garbage?
>>
>>79028865
The Hobbit was a good book, and doesn't really count as a prequel in any case; it was written before The Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>79022725
it's so bad that contrarian shitposters call it kino on /tv/
>>
>>79028581

I have not read the article, just the title: https://filmschoolrejects.com/welcome-to-the-era-of-the-fanboy-filmmaker-d864ebab3f37#.qlsciqp0v But maybe it will help out.
>>
>>79022725
don't watch it. people who first see the movie then read the book like it, but people who've read the book don't. it's a mess.

actually do watch it but don't expect much.
>>
File: 1485951121850.jpg (371KB, 1268x685px) Image search: [Google]
1485951121850.jpg
371KB, 1268x685px
>>79028614
The oddball old fashioned tech like microfiche books and knife fighting make sense in-universedue to the ban on advanced computers and shields, respectively. Doing away with them for any reason would make an adaptation less "Dune-ish". Also, here's hoping any depiction of lasguns do the book justice.

As far as costumes go, I agree. Other than the fremem, most characters we see are royalty/nobility who should be decked out in pretty flamboyant attire. Props to the Sci-fi miniseriesand jodorowski for keeping that in mind.
>>
>>79028965
Sorry, yes. The book was top tier, I was referring to the movies, I should have been specific.
>>
>>79029078

Sauce?
>>
I don't really care about the movies or the books, but what about the explosions? Like when the lasgun's beams come into contact with a person's shield and explodes. Duncan Idaho left the Sardauker that surprise in the desert. Wait, do the beams of lasguns hitting a shield actually cause an explosion?
>>
>>79026416
>Weren't the Bene Gesserit only able to channel female ancestors?
yes, and literally the point of their eugenic program was to create a being that will have access also to male ancestors memories. Alia also had Kwisatz Haderach genes as Pauls sister, so she had access to those memories.
>>
>>79022876
>>79022795
Pretty much the whole subplots of Frodo escaping Bag End to Bree are quite useless except only the Bombadil section tho.
>>
>>79022725
It's alright, but I've only seen the spicediver fan edit. The official release might be crap, I don't know.
>>
>>79022795
There is no comfort in complacency.

Staying with tom would've meant being completely okay with the rest of the world burning and eventually sauron would've just rolled in.
>>
>>79029330
Moebius' concept art for Jodorowski's Dune adaptation.
>>
>>79022725
It's good, a good litmus test for plebs although the sound guns are kind of stupid. They redeemed them when one of the fremen says Muad'dib and it sets the gun off
>>
File: IMG_0567.jpg (65KB, 320x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0567.jpg
65KB, 320x255px
>weaponized autism
>>
Far into the future, during Miles Teg's time, weren't there like mutant monsters. What was all that about? And about the Honored Matres, that kind of reminded me of all those women being harvested for milk in that Mad Max: Fury Road film. Was it the Ixian breeding tubes or the Bene Tlelaxian tubes (Did I spell that right?).

Also, I read that Frank Herbert was kind of homophobic, cause you know the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen and Duncan Idaho's behavior towards the Fish Speakers after he saw some of them making out. Also, Alia becoming possessed by the Baron Harkonnen seems transphobic. Are they just going to remake the first book, or is it going to be another film franchise and the other books are going to be adapted? How are these issues going to be addressed, you know, the whole homophobia stuff.

I just found this a few moments ago and it says that Frank Herbert isn't homophobic (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dune-at-50-common-misconceptions-about-frank-herberts-classic/), but when I checked out some websites like more than a decade ago during my high school years, I ran into some websites that said Frank Herbert was homophobic: (http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html). So I don't know.
>>
>>79029422
It's a reaction caused by the shields interacting with the laser. That's why lasers are a no no because nobody wants to vaporize half the city they're fighting over
>>
>>79029554
Alia's memory access was due to Jessica's drinking the water of life while pregnant. Had that not happened, and alia had grown up normal, she could have mothered a son from Feyd, which would have been the kwitzach haderak the bene Gesserit originally planned for.
>>
>>79030172
>Far into the future, during Miles Teg's time, weren't there like mutant monsters. What was all that about?
IIRC they were artificially bred by Honored Matres or devolved descendants of humans or something like that.
>>79030172
>And about the Honored Matres, that kind of reminded me of all those women being harvested for milk in that Mad Max: Fury Road film. Was it the Ixian breeding tubes or the Bene Tlelaxian tubes (Did I spell that right?).
The Honored Matres descend from Leto's fish speakers who, along with many others, went away from the Empire exploring new territories. They all came rushing back when they discovered the thinking machines, who weren't defeated as previously though, but were in hiding the whole time.
>>
>>79022876
>a gom jabbar for plebs
Kek
>>
>>79030172
>I just found this a few moments ago and it says that Frank Herbert isn't homophobic (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dune-at-50-common-misconceptions-about-frank-herberts-classic/), but when I checked out some websites like more than a decade ago during my high school years, I ran into some websites that said Frank Herbert was homophobic: (http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html). So I don't know.
>one website says one thing and a different website says the opposite
Jeez what a conundrum
Think for yourself faggot
>>
>>79030199
yeah, water of life was a catalyst, but I think that Alia's genes also played a role
>>
Can't wait for all the alt-right butthurt threads about the heroes of the movie being Space Muslims and Hollywood propaganda
>>
>>79022697
>It really does not deviate that terribly far from the book and when it does there is logic in it's decisions.

You know except for the entire fucking ending, making Paul to really be some godlike creature who summons rain, FUCKING RAIN, on to dune.

Paul never wanted to be worshiped and he hates the whole idea of what the fremen think he is.
>>
>>79022697
Staying faithful to a book is terrible. Very few literary writers write their books with the notion of it becoming a film in mind. What works well in a book (especially areas such as pacing and characterisation) never translate well into a film. The best films are the ones that deviate greatly from the source material (see: Psycho, The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Trainspotting, etc).
>>
>>79030406
Everybody is a space Muslim in Dune though.
>>
>>79022725
if youre watching it for the first time in the year of our lord 2017, you probably wont like it.
>>
Who would you cast as Paul? Will they get an actual teenager this time or will they cast another 30 year old to play a 15 year old?
>>
>>79022725
Oh it's bad. And I love science fiction and David Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan.
>>
>>79023659
>>79023835
You're an idiot. Paul has supernatural powers. He does even crazier things in book 2. His son is even more supernatural in books 3 and 4.
>>
>>79031438

The only power Paul has is being prescient.
>>
>>79022725
It's not bad, it's boring. Just listen to this, the best thing that came out of it.
https://youtu.be/Pj9UcKj7Dxo?t=152
>>
File: godemperoroftrump.jpg (167KB, 600x1013px) Image search: [Google]
godemperoroftrump.jpg
167KB, 600x1013px
I read Dune through God Emperor when I was 13 or 14. It blew my mind and I didn't understand everything, but I knew I was reading greatness. I couldn't get into Heretics though.
>>
>>79031438
supernatural, magical, high science, whats the difference? the fuck are you two doing stuck arguing semantics for

the only important criterion for the worth of the story is does it follows the rules it sets out exposing with consistency, and if it does break those rules, does the story do it in a highly entertaining manner
>>
>>79031534

The only scene I remember from Heretics is the Bene Gesserit trying to use a 10/10 Milf to seduce the 10 year old reincarnation of Duncan.
>>
>>79031529
that's a power not innate to him but granted of the spice, everyone from fish pilots to high nuns to tarot rabble had a scale of it.

everyone had 20Ghz processors for brains but only the kwisatz haderach had the algorithms in place to predict the weather. shitty analogy but it points you to the right direction.
>>
>>79031583
Yeah I need to go back and read it, I hear there is a ton of sex. I just got really bored at the beginning. I was frustrated not having an Atreides as the main character. I never was the biggest Duncan Idaho fan to be honest. He's like the Bobba Fett of Star Wars - everyone thinks he's so cool but he never did much in book 1. Dune should always be about the Atreides in my opinion.
>>
>>79031697

There not really that good to be honest, I like to think the series ended at God Emperor of dune. Then his son goes full retard in the last book of the series, with almost every character coming back as a Ghola and Duncan becoming the "ultimate" Kwisatz Haderach through thousands of years of being reborn.
>>
>>79031957
That's fucking gay. God Emperor should have ended with him outsmarting the assassination attempt and the girl being forced into a breed program or something.

Would be the perfect dystopia ending - The galaxy ruled by Islam and an army of all female soldiers.
>>
>>79031957

Here's the thing about Brian and KJA bringing back all the gholas:

Frank specifically mentions that Scytale has the cells needed to grow all those gholas in Chapterhouse Dune.

I cannot imagine why he would have written than in if he hadn't at the very least considered bringing some of those characters back.
>>
>>79032349

Frank Herbert likely would have written it in a way that made a lot more sense, but I still feel the series started to go downhill starting with Heretics of Dune.
>>
>>79032349
>>79031957
don't they ironically bring in Jews in Space as a plot point?
>>
>>79032421

Nothing really ironic about it.

They just show up as a secret group that the Bene Gesserit knows about.

At some point in the Dune universe timeline the Jews decided that the best way to protect themselves from being persecuted (It's indirectly stated that they suffered a lot more pogroms) was to pretend that their faith had died out.

The Bene Gesserit help keep the fact that they still exist a secret in exchange for favors from them every once in a while.
>>
>>79032338
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
Leto's whole plan was to systematically push people so much that they would push back. He wanted for people not just to be free from any dictatorship, but want to be free. Before people were content with the existing Empire, and didn't develop any further. He wanted to end the stagnation.
And he knew about assassination all along, he wanted it to happen, it was part of his plan.
>>
Who is the best character and why is it Liet-Kynes?
>>
>>79032584
Yeah because Herbert jumped the shark with the series by book 3. There is nothing good about the Golden Path or Paul's conquest. It's all a bunch of bullshit that destroys everything.
>>
>>79022160
I like the Lynch version. Wish Alejandro Jodorowsky would've been able to make his version.
>>
Dune 2000 is a better Dune movie and it still manages to be pretty shitty.

There is too much inner character monologue to make a good Dune movie.
>>
>>79022160
>space muslims led by a white man conquer the galaxy
hmmm really makes you tink
>>
>>79030922

Wait, I thought the people of Arrakis were Fremen that were similar to the Islamic peoples of ancient Earth and that the people of the Landsraad were adherents of that Orange Catholic Bible stuff as well as being manipulated by the Bene Gesserit. I don't think everyone is a space Muslim as you say. There were even people who were zensunni philosophers, like the Zen philosophy and Sunni branch of Islam evolved together. And don't forget, I think there were descendants of the Hebrew peoples who still survived and were practicing Jews, like it was intact and everything, but this was in the later novels. Hey aren't the Alt-right also antisemitic?
>>
>>79032831
what a fucking retard
>>
>tfw you will never be sexually dominated by an honored matre until you become their willing slave
>>
>>79032831
>>79032338
you somehow missed the entire point of those books, can you pls just kys yourself?
>>
>>79031697

Miles Teg is a descendent of the Atriedes. Duncan Idaho is of the House of Ginaz and was capable of taking down groups of Sardauker, whether it was in close/melee combat, or hiding a shield in the desert and having the Sardauker accidentally kill themselves when using a lasgun. Also Duncan Idaho is of the House of the Atriedes, he was the mentor of Paul Atriedes. He was also the dude who kept being cloned or brought back as a ghola, like in Dune: Messiah, I think he came back as a Mentat and Zensunni Philosopher, only to be killed off in Children of Dune by Stilgar. Then he gets brought back repeatedly over and over again in God Emperor of Dune to help Leto Atriedes the Second run the Empire. In the later books he get brought back again, I forget why.

I also remember that Miles Teg was training Duncan Idaho and Duncan Idaho holds his own against Teg, who happens to be one of the great military generals of his time (his mother was Bene Gesserit and his father was a mentat). Didn't Miles Teg have a Bene Gesserit daughter who was also a main character in the Heretics of Dune and Chapter House of Dune books. Teg's daughter is also a descendent of the Atriedes. So the books have always been about the Atriedes, whether it's Paul Atriedes, Leto the Second and Ghanima Atriedes, Duncan Idaho, Miles Teg, etc.

I forgot to mention that the House of Ginaz were defeated by another military school, or school of assassins, which is why Duncan Idaho fought for the Atriedes.
>>
>>79033468
I think Duncan is the only character to appear in all of original Dune books in some form or other.

Is he the true main character of Dune
>>
>>79022160
It's impossible to crunch a story like Dune in to 2 hours. It will most likely be loosely based on the books, but will be different than Lynchs and include more action.

Only the first book is interesting anyway. No one is going to enjoy watching a worm man play with galactic politics.
>>
>>79023266

This chart is fucking awful, what is wrong with the faggot who made this?
>>
>>79031576

HIS SON MUTATED INTO A FUCKING SANDWORM FURRY, SUBJUGATED THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE ACROSS THE ENTIRE GALAXY AND REGULARLY COMMUNED WITH HIS DEAD FATHER ON A HIGHER PLANE OF EXISTENCE

PLEASE STOP POSTING ANY TIME
>>
>>79033652
>his son
click up the convo branch to realize we were talking about Paul and his so-called powers. take your own advice.
>>
>>79023659
>he's not magic
So when during the knife fight of the first book he is hit by the knife and modifies the molecular structure of the toxin to make it non poisonous with his mind while still fighting, how do you call that?
>>
>>79033543

Dude, you're asking a person who last read the books like a decade or more ago. I need to reread them, I guess. My memory isn't all that great. I guess Duncan Idaho is like the person the audience can relate to, which is why he gets brought back over and over again. I don't know. He's one of the main characters who is usually close to being a normal human being when you contrast him with Leto Atriedes the Second(when he is the Shai-hulud/human hybrid). If the new Dune remake actually becomes a bunch of remakes, with the movie studio trying to adapt all the books, I kind of wonder how they are going to shoot the part where Duncan Idaho remembers all the times he has died from old age or is killed because some of his former clones tried to rebel against Leto the Second.
>>
>>79022160
They splitting it into 3 films?
>>
>>79033871

Didnt he become immune to poison after drinking that one spice mixture that made him prescient.
>>
>>79033932
He became immune to poison because he got that mental power, if he decided to do nothing then he'd die like anybody else but the mixture gave him the mental ability over his own bodily functions, which meant he could restructure himself in any way.
>>
>>79029059
Not that anon but read it, I just did, is interesting.

>Directors that did not grew with the comic/game/whatever worked on the property (e.g. TIm Burton and Batman)
>Now it's the fanboys (e.g. JJ Abrams, Duncan and Warcraft).
>This is also used as a marketing tool to reach the audience to make them feel like one of their kind is making it

>conclusion
>Is not a bad idea to have a director that is not a fanboy of the series"How can we ever be surprised by the film that we ourselves would have made?"
>>
The first book, maybe the 2nd as well I would consider good. The rest of the books are shit.
>>
>>79033871

Bene Gesserit training? He is an expert in Prana Bindu, having been trained by his mother. As for being supernatural, what about if he is more preternatural, I remembered that word from when I took a course on American Gothic Literature. Also, something about the spice melange? Is the spice called melange or something? Anyway, if I remember correctly, the spice heightens awareness, extends life and allows interstellar travel and some other stuff.

Also, regarding the Fremen, the Fremen people happen to be really religious, adhering to an offshoot of the Islamic faith, as well as the missionaria protectiva(I might have messed up with the spelling) prophecy designed to protect the members of the Bene Gesserit. So yeah, he's great at Martial Arts and has training in Prana Bindu and advanced mathematics since some of his tutors and mentors were Thufir Hawat(Mentat Assassin), Duncan Idaho(of the House Ginaz and his dancing/fighting instructor), Gurney Halleck(Troubadour warrior), his mother Jessica(Bene Gesserit and the one who teaches him Prana Bindu), oh and I think his father teaches him about politics and how to rule and everything. I forget about Doctor Yueh, he betrays the Atriedes because he thought his wife was still alive and being held by the Harkonnen and also he was plotting against the Harkonnens.
>>
>>79033932
it's because he's a male bene gesserit essentially, if you consider all the crazy shit those women can do, both paul and his mom have superpowers. if you think they're more like black belt in karate, paul's only power i can think of is prescience, to the point where he can still live normally after his eyes are melted by a nuclear explosion.
>>
>>79034311
all the melange addicts are prescient, the kwisatz haderach only differs by an order of magnitude. he can organize more data into useful information more efficiently. then he has the atreides morality of choosing decisions based on the info. this is the series' entire conflict. the ante is upped when the previously infallible heir gains competitors, first his prescient sister and then his prescient son.
>>
>that moment when you find out the tleilaxu axolotl tanks were really just women being used as birthing cows

Was pretty fucked up
>>
>>79034448
>kwisatz haderach only differs by an order of magnitude
See, but that's wrong. The main thing about kwisatz haderach is being able to see both male and female memories, whereas Bene Gesserit can only see female.
>>
Another thing, I think there is something in the Atriedes genes which doesn't allow people who have the prescient ability to see the future of anyone with Atriedes blood. I think Leto the Second and Ghanima Atriedes takes over the Bene Gesserit breeding program and along with one of the princes of the former Padishah Emperor, begins to desseminate the Atriedes genes amongst the general population throughout centuries or even longer. The reason is so that if enough of the human population has the Atriedes genes, whether they know it or not, they won't all be hunted down and exterminated by powerful tyrants who have that prescient or future-seeing capabilities. One of the main characters of God Emperor of Dune was a woman and a descendent of the Atriedes and she sees the Golden Path and stuff and wants Duncan Idaho to help her with the Golden Path at the end of the book. If I'm wrong about any of this, feel free to correct me, because I might be repeating stuff from a website I read long ago.

Oh shoot, I just typed in Nayla Dune into google search and she happens to be the bodyguard of Siona Atriedes. So yeah, it's Siona Atriedes who I think was suppose to marry Duncan Idaho and help spread the Atriedes genes and stuff.

I just remembered, that assassination attempt on Leto the Second, and Leto the Second goes berserk because he's fiance was also in trouble and lots of face dancers got killed and everything, I'm just saying this because the Worms of Arrakis can't stand water, if I'm correct, so the blood from the face dancers really harms the God Emperor. I wonder how that's going to translate onto the big screen.
>>
>>79034497
we're talking about prescience here, not genetic memory. memory is paul's morality cheatcode, he doesn't have memories of his descendant's memories. prescience is his evolutionary advantage.
>>
>>79034628
it's not the atreides gene per se that has anti-prescience capability but a specific gene already identified by (and of course bred by) the gesserit and tleilax orders. the closest to royal household who bears the gene is irulan. leto ii found out about, realized the usefulness of prescience invisibility and incorporated it into his own breeding program, realizing that the atreides are both the strongest seers in history and also the most threatening to his golden path

prescience. pre-science. rummaged ox innards and bird bones tossed in the air pre-causality. nifty word.
>>
Did somebody say Dune?
>>
>>79034868
>1992 dune game in flash mode
wtf is this
>>
>>79022725
The weirding way is a handheld sonic weapon, it literally turns Muad'dib's name into force. How fucking hard would it have been to handwave it as a fighting style or something?
>>
>>79034932
it's a dune hentai game by a dude named balsamique, the game is called beyond the dune i think, or behind or something.
>>
>>79034868

MOMMY MOMMY BABY WANT SPICEY
>>
>>79034868
>I am Lady Exposition
>>
>>79034868
Didn't Jessica have red hair
>>
>>79030277
>>79034486

To add to what you guys are saying, the Fish Speakers who split apart from the Atriedes Empire and explored new space territories came across some of the Tleilaxu and discovered that the women being used as 'axolotl tanks,' the Fish Speakers went into some kind of rage and killed or defeated the Tleilaxu and freed the 'axolotl tanks' and those axolotl tanks became the Honored Mothers, and it was a union between the Fish Speakers and the women who were axolotl tanks and they formed the Honored Matres. The Honored Matres, a fighting force who could move at blinding speed in close combat and can also enslave men through sex or something. Also, when Miles Teg's ghola remembers his previous life, Teg gains the ability to run real fast, almost like the Honored Matres, but faster, I think? Also just because the Honored Matres have augmented speed, doesn't mean they always have the edge, because the Bene Gesserit women could still hold their own against them, even if they are slower.

So, about those mutant animal/human hybrids, are they Ixian or Bene Tleilaxu? Also, some of those face dancers that were used to replace people in political positions of power, didn't those face dancers like actually become the people they were impersonating. I remember a scene in one of the books, I don't know if it was in Heretics or Chapterhouse, but a face dancer was screaming that he wasn't a face dancer and really believed he was a real person, kind of like in that Gary Sinise Impostor movie.

Oh, and those Honored Matres, they're also capable of burning down entire planets.
>>
>>79034935

I dont remember that being what the weirding way was at all. Wasnt the weirding way just a style of combat that let you move really fast or a short amount of time.
>>
>>79035186
>let you move really fast or a short amount of time.
Isn't that what Teg did?
>>
>>79035221

What Teg did was like an extreme upgrade of the weirding way. Based Teg
>>
>>79035154
Man Heretics and Chapterhouse just got so bizarre towards the end
>>
>>79035243
>>79035290
Teg and the feminazi legion and gholas galore was slashfiction as fuck. You could tell Frank just wanted his publishers to pay him.
>>
>>79022725
I liked it a lot. Watch it stoned to really really have a good time.
>>
>>79034836

Whoa, after reading what you said, I just remembered, from the first book. Who is that short dude who is also a master assassin that could take down anyone? He was also a friend of the Emperor and the Emperor wanted him to fight Paul Muad'dib yet he refused and got struck with a slap or something. Anyway, I think his wife is also a Bene Gesserit and she had sex with Feyd Rautha Harkonnen so that they could get his genetics and everything. What was that all about? It felt like to me that that was a plot thread or plot point that was dropped from the books.
>>
>>79022998
>william hurt in
>killed 20 minutes into a 3 hour movie
Ok
>>
>>79024980
Man you must have been high as shit when reading the series. Paul has prescience, not a really good probability prediction ability. He was the answer to the female ability to see their genetic line. Mentats don't have the ability to perfectly predict shit, for that you need spice and havte to be a navigator or something.
>>
>>79035374
Count Fenring or something? Yeah I only vaguely remember him

And the Feyd Rautha thing was the Bene Gesserit trying to run a parallel gene line to find another way to the kwisatz haderach but that plot line got dropped because Paul put an end to that I think
>>
>>79035374
Count Hasimir Based Fenring, one of the failed artificial Kwisatz Haderachs
>>
>>79035331
are you referring to the fish speakers or is there another feminazi army in the last two books? only read up to and including god emperor.

i'm asking because i thought he gave a neat explanation to why leto would have a female guard.
>>
>>79035467
Bene Gesserit can control the gender of their children, his mother was supposed to give birth to a girl, that girl was to be captured during the harkonnen raid of the attreiddes and marry feyd-rautha, and their son was to be the destined Kwisatz Haderach.
Jessica bore Paul a boy to defy them.
>>
>>79022160
It just can't be done as a 2 hour film, unless it's a trilogy or some such because the book does have 3 arcs.

Lynch at least tried to pack in the intricacy of the book where he could, I can't imagine anyone doing that in this day and age.
>>
File: 1481230915077.png (126B, 99x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481230915077.png
126B, 99x300px
>>79034868
Bene?
>>
>>79034836
>>79035467
>>79035468

Either your memories are really good, or you guys have the books right beside you. Also, Paul didn't want to have sex with Irulan even though they were married, yet he was willing to give the Bene Gesserits a child through artificial insemination, right? But they wouldn't have any of that. So how did Leto the Second incorporate it into the breeding program? Was it a relative of Princess Irulan, cause I think she did have a sister or aunt who wanted the throne to the Empire back.

Did Count Fenring actually fight in the books and films, and did they leave that one fight between Fey Rautha and a captured Atriedes soldier out of the films and miniseries adaptations?
>>
>>79024980
>that's how the prophecies work in Dune it's all calculations using spice
Paul literally sees the future. That's how he can keep functioning when he loses his eyes. It's not just a calculation but a fully sensory experience.
>>
>>79026223
>did you just spoil the prequel books I never read
He didn't. The authors did.
>>
>>79035704
I've read the books twice, but it was years ago. Can recall some of the things if another anon mentions it to jog my memory.

They kept the Atreides line going by having Leto II's sister Ghanima marry the Corrino heir who was the son of Irulan's sister.

Don't remember Count Fenring having any scenes after the first book though
>>
>>79035532

Dude I just talked about the Honored Matres and stuff. Check it out:
>>79030172
>>79035154

They were in the books after God Emperor of Dune. Also, I don't really think that the Fish Speakers and Honored Matres are nazis or even feminazis. There were other military forces that have males in their organizations and everything, even after the events of God Emperor of Dune. So you don't have to call them feminazis and stuff. You are represented in the books, I think.

>>79035704

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to say 'it.' I meant was there another relative of Irulan who also carried the genetics?
>>
>>79030189
Which was always silly, because a single suicide-trooper (or even an automatic mechanism) could handily vapourise an entire enemy city/fortress/dreadnought, at no cost to the aggressor.

Why couldn't Herbert just make lasguns ineffective against shields, and leave it at that? This fact alone would have made lasguns obsolete.
>>
>>79035704
>how did Leto the Second incorporate it into the breeding program? Was it a relative of Princess Irulan
Yep, you're right, it was Irulan's nephew that contributed the anti-prescience gene to the Atreides bloodline, with Ghanima. At the end of Children, Leto II coerces his brother-in-law to start the breeding program with his sister. These frail words don't do that scene justice. It was very well-written for someone who was in his late 30s to portray young adults making decisions like that.

>Count Fenring fight
Nope, he always remained the unruffled gentleman who always seemed to had a secret joke about him. His refusal to kill Paul for his cousin and bff was considered by Paul one of the most powerful gestures in his life.

>Feyd fight other than kanly
In the miniseries, the gladiator fight was included to establish Feyd's dueling abilites and character for the latter climax, but that's about it.
>>
>>79035962
War isn't only about total destruction, rulers more often go to war to gain and keep territory, not blasted population centers. I think it adds nuance to a military commander's decision-making, when and when not to use lasers, what are the drawbacks versus gains, paralleling the Atreides' agonies of making correct decisions in every facet of their lives and the lives that depend on them.
>>
>>79035962
When they used it as a trap in the book I got the impression that the explosion was big, but not that big.
>>
>>79033871
>and modifies the molecular structure of the toxin to make it non poisonous with his mind while still fighting, how do you call that?
This is something any Bene Gesserit can do. They have super-control of their own glands, and can metabolise poisons.

Even some Fremen women can do it - they transmute the Water of Life during the spice orgy, so the rest of the tribe can use it to get high.
>>
>>79034628
>I think there is something in the Atriedes genes which doesn't allow people who have the prescient ability to see the future of anyone with Atriedes blood.
No so much the Atreides, as anyone with prescience. This includes Guild navigators, for example. The purpose of the navigator in Dune Messiah is to mask the conspirators from Paul's prescience.

Think about it: how can you predict the actions of a prescient? He can see the future too, and adjust his actions accordingly. He's outside the scope of prescience.
>>
>>79022725
It's a mess, but it's a beautiful mess. There are a lot of underappreciated positives, especially when it comes to production design, art direction, etc. The cast is mostly solid and some of the actors are really trying with the material (Brad Dourif was born to be Piter), but it's the editing that's its weakness. Lynch was forced to deliver a 2-hour movie and he ended up with an overstuffed mess that crams exposition down your throat at every turn, and it's likely to confuse the hell out of anyone who's not familiar with the story. But fans of the book are generally less harsh on it. The special effects are also pretty cheap too, and I absolutely hate the way they made Arrakis and the Fremen look colorless and bleak. But beyond that it's one of my guilty pleasures.
>>
>>79036482
>No so much the Atreides
Leto II actually developed a prescience masking gene through thousands of years of selective breeding. Siona was completely invisible to prescients, as were all her descendants, including Teg and Odrade.
>>
>>79036214
It was pretty fucking big. Paul initially thinks it's atomic, until Idaho explains otherwise.
>>
>>79035962
I think if someone had employed these tactics the Landsraad would've put up restrictions on lasguns like the use of nukes.
>>
>>79035580
I've been a strong proponent of a two-part structure for the film, separated by an intermission. Part 1 is everything leading up to and including the attack on the palace, and maybe some of the fallout if it turns out too short, and the second half is Paul allying with the Fremen, realizing his destiny, and leading an offensive against the Harkonnens and the Empire. Part 1 would be like a political thriller, where we set up the world and focus on the Atreides/Harkonnen rivalry. Part 2 would be more of a revenge and coming of age story, where Paul assimilates into the Fremen and comes to terms with his destiny, with added romance elements. Part 2 would be longer than Part 1, but the different nature of both halves would compliment each other in their own unique way, and feel like a whole unit by the end of the movie, at which time Paul's arc is concluded and the audience feels that much more fully than if it were a trilogy of films. It would be long as hell, but I'd be down for it.
>>
>>79036885
That's more or less what Lynch made to my knowledge, there's at least an hour that was cut and is now lost to us because the studio had all the rights to it.
>>
>>79030277
> thinking machines, who weren't defeated as previously though, but were in hiding the whole time.
fan fiction
>>
>>79028865

Dune: Machine Crusade? I thought it was called The Butlerian Jihad?
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.