[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did bookfags get so mad about these adaptations? Everybody

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 9

File: images (5).jpg (10KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
10KB, 272x185px
Why did bookfags get so mad about these adaptations?

Everybody else is able to enjoy them as the fantastic piece of cinema that they are, but to this day bookfags are still cursing Jackson's name and consider him some sort of supreme traitor.
>>
Post pasta.
>>
They think the books are some sort of literary masterpiece akin to The Bible or something. Jackson forgot to mention one hill on the edge of Rohan so the whole thing is trash.
>>
>>78997247
Because people will get mad about anything. They assume that if they buy and like something it belongs to them. As much as I like Tom in the books would I fuck have sat through his dance numbers.
>>
>>78997247
Because they embarrassingly believe that lotr is literature.
>>
>>78997247
I've read the books over 10 times as a kid and I love the movies, where is your god now?
>>
>>78997247
most people who love the books at the very least likes the movies.

you are a faggot OP.
>>
NO BOMBADILL NO BUY

FUCKING HACKSON REEEE
>>
>>78997404
>Only 10 times

Get a load of this absolute plebian
>>
>>78997247

Bookfag here
I didn't get mad infact I really like the adaptations. Fellowship especially was excellent. Getting to see each opening night was just special, it was an event felt just like how I could imagine the original Star Wars did.

There were only a couple of things that annoyed me which were the elves showing up at helms deep, turning Legolas into a superhero and the Deadmen of Dunharrow providing an anticlimactic ending the Battle of Pelenor fields.

I wasn't mad about most of what was omitted or changed such as the tone of the movies, missing Bombadil or cutting Glorfindel for Arwen, for example, because they all made sense.

I was just glad that I got to see a good big budget adaptation in my lifetime and am not autistic enough to cry about the vast majority of alterations.
>>
>>78997485
I was honestly shocked when I saw people getting butthurt about Jackson adding more Arwen. I thought the love story between her and Aragorn was very well done and felt right. We all know in the books that they were in love, got married and had kids, so what's wrong with fleshing out the story?
>>
If people cried about these adaptions I can't wait to see the butthurt they'll make at the inevitable remakes in 10ish years time
>>
>>78997247
They don't. They are universally regarded as the best book to film adaptations of all time.
>>
>>78997651
They really do though. Christopher Tolkien is still crying about the Elvish pronunciations as we speak.
>>
>>78997247
Bookfags always get mad. It's really just a virtue signal so redditors can pretend they are well-read.
>>
>>78997636
>the inevitable remakes in 10ish years time
you really think they will wait that long?
>>
>>78998004
Lets see how hard the next Batman movie bombs, then they'll do the reboot
>>
I never got mad over the LotR films but over time it's lost its luster in my eyes as films, not adaptions. Return of the King especially just doesn't click anymore.

Though unless these fans are at a "they cut Bombadill, -10/10" level I'd be inclined to respect what they think. There were some tidbits here and there throughout the movies that just didn't need to be the way they were.

I've never really seen any vocal opposition to them though. The Hobbit films, on the other hand, were abominable as films and especially as adaptions, rightfully so.
>>
>>78997965
so when you say 'bookfags' you are referring to one person?
>>
>>78998202
Yes that's right, giving an example means only one person
>>
>>78997636

Please no, these movies are as good as we will ever get.

What I would be up for is if they re did all the CGI to top WETA standards in time for the 25th anniversary.
>>
>>78998239
That's getting dangerously close to Star Wars fuck up territory.
>>
>>78998239
Honestly, most has aged pretty well aside from some Gollum scenes in the EE
>>
>>78998004
probably gonna have to wait for christopher tolkien to die, I imagine that he'll be the main thing blocking it
>>
>>78997574

It wasn't a bad idea to flesh their relationship out, but it could have been done a lot better.

Her replacing Glorfindel felt kind of weird. It just seems nonsensical to have a divine woman of the highest elvish royalty ride out to fight 9 of the enemy's most powerful servants, alone at that.

Her psychic scenes with Aragorn were a bit odd as well. And while focusing on the "staying with Aragorn means leaving her family" aspect was nice it wasn't done too well, and the "she's so divinely royal that Aragorn has to defeat Sauron and rule the continent just to marry her" aspect was basically skipped.

The "Arwen is dying because something" thing was sort of off as well, like it wasn't explained very well and just seemed to be there to provide a drop more tension when it wasn't needed.

The fact that she and Aragorn made out every time they saw one another somewhat ruined the triumph of him finally being able to marry her in RotK too. It was far too... modern? The romance should have been there, but subdued and more subtle, playing up the tension that they can't be together until he's king so that their kiss in RotK was the first kiss seen and thus ultimately a more satisfying romantic finish.
>>
>>78998239
>>78998400
It's madness how tlotr movies already look better then the hobbit films from not being lazy and going full CGI.

They've always looked like shit
>>
>>78998401
>Her replacing Glorfindel felt kind of weird. It just seems nonsensical to have a divine woman of the highest elvish royalty ride out to fight 9 of the enemy's most powerful servants, alone at that.
but divine man of the highest elvish royalty riding out to fight 9 of the enemy's most powerful servants, alone at that was a-ok? whats the difference, they're elves, they use magic, not physical strenght.

>"she's so divinely royal that Aragorn has to defeat Sauron and rule the continent just to marry her" aspect was basically skipped.
It's not, Elrond was talking about it a few times.

>The "Arwen is dying because something" thing was sort of off as well, like it wasn't explained very well and just seemed to be there to provide a drop more tension when it wasn't needed.
I agree. I think it was how Jackson wanted to show changes in middle earth and general power of elves diminishing thus explaining why are they leaving to Valinor, but could have been done much better
>>
>>78997965

Because The Hobbit movies haven't validated his trepidation, right?

>They gutted the book, making an action movie for 15-25 year olds. And it seems that The Hobbit will be of the same ilk. Tolkien became…devoured by his popularity and absorbed by the absurdity of the time. The gap widened between the beauty, the seriousness of the work, and what it has become is beyond me. This level of marketing reduces to nothing the aesthetic and philosophical significance of this work.

As much as I appreciate the films, they are, in final review, a dumbed-down and shallow version of something great, made as such so they could be milked for cash from the equally dumb and shallow mainstream person.
>>
>>78998400
They have the rights so they can do what they like. They only need Christopher's go ahead as a courtesy, which will be the first thing out of the window when money is in sight.
>>
>>78998487
The Hobbit is a completely different beast. If you can't see that the original trilogy was made with love and respect at every step my Jackson and his team then there might actually be something wrong with you. Christopher wanted a Shakespeare level play when it was never and will never be about that.
>>
Christopher Lee liked them, and seeing as how he is probably the person who knows the most about the books after Tolkien's kids is good enough for me.
>>
>>78998482

>but divine man of the highest elvish royalty riding out to fight 9 of the enemy's most powerful servants, alone at that was a-ok?

Pretty much. This is still a pre-modern society running on values that don't apply this day and age. What's-her-name from the Hobbit is more justified running around shooting orcs, being from an ultimately more primitive, almost comparatively "savage" brand of elves, but Arwen is from a higher society.

Furthermore, while Glorfindel was part of Elvish nobility, he wasn't a descendant of the literally divine like Arwen.

There's also a bit of a discrepancy between her appearing all gung-ho badass wraith-basher to rescue Frodo, then spending the rest of the movies lying on a couch providing spiritual moral support in an overly-breathy voice. Like, Elrond will let her ride off to confront Ringwraiths all by her lonesome, but the rest of the time he's going on about how dangerous Middle-Earth is now and Arwen needs to gtfo before the forces of evil get anywhere near his house?

I should also note that Liv Tyler's acting was almost Kristen Stewart-tier in attempting to sell herself as ethereal and beautiful by mumbling all her lines
>>
>>78998818
She was in the woods and sense Aragorn nearby. She didn't know anything about the ring wraits until he told her 'My friend is all fucked up come and help'
>>
>>78998872

Nah, remember she was looking for them "for two days" and informed them that the Wraiths were on their tail.
>>
>>78998545

There was some respect, especially relative to The Hobbits, but nonetheless the movies were always intended to be a more accessible vehicle for cash. Some commendation is appropriate that the effort was made to make them not just marketable but also good, but I still can't find fault with Christopher Tolkien lamenting how it turned out and what LotR has become, in the public conscience, in their wake.

At the same time that I enjoyed them when the came out, and still do to an extent, there's also the niggling sense that perhaps they shouldn't have been made at all.
>>
>>78998818
>Pretty much. This is still a pre-modern society running on values that don't apply this day and age.
but Elven nobility always fought, even in the first lines as their level of nobility was directly linked to their power. Gil-Galad was even higher in their society than Elrond himself yet he fought in battle against Sauron and ultimately fell there.

>There's also a bit of a discrepancy between her appearing all gung-ho badass wraith-basher to rescue Frodo, then spending the rest of the movies lying on a couch providing spiritual moral support in an overly-breathy voice.
same with Glorfindel, we was so powerful that he could solo Balrog, so were many elves in Rivedell. but they stayed because Gandalf felt that power mattered little in their quest and friendship was more important.
>Elrond will let her ride off to confront Ringwraiths all by her lonesome, but the rest of the time he's going on about how dangerous Middle-Earth is now and Arwen needs to gtfo before the forces of evil get anywhere near his house?
it was still relatively close to Rivendell, around one days ride, where his magic could protect her
>>
>>78997247
CGI Balrog was a fucking huge let down, looked dated when I 1st watched it.
Awful "hey stupid here's an emotional bit" soundtrack.
>>
>>78997636

Impossible to improve on them. No director in his right mind would try.
>>
>>78999118

>but Elven nobility always fought, even in the first lines as their level of nobility was directly linked to their power.
Elvish lords fought; ladies stayed at home healing, providing spiritual support, and looking angelic.

> but they stayed because Gandalf felt that power mattered little in their quest and friendship was more important.
Wasn't it more that he was worried a band of high-profile elves with nuclear-tier magic would be counterproductive on a stealth mission?
>>
>>78999223
>Awful soundtrack

You must be one of those idiots
>>
>>78999223
>Balrog looked dated when I 1st watched it

Did you just watch it yesterday? It STILL looks great and was fucking cutting edge when it first came out.
>>
>>78997247
>Why did bookfags get so mad about these adaptations?
What the fuck are you talking about stupid faggor OP? Have you ever been in a lore thread? Bookfags love the movie more than normies do.

It's not a perfect adaptation, and there are things like faramir taking frodo back to gondor that are out of character, but in the end its a much better adaptation than any of us had any right to expect.
>>
>>78999223

The Balrog still looks great you autist. Legitimately one of the best monsters designs to date
>>
>>78997651
A scanner darkly and fight club (the author himself said the movie was better would than the book) would like a word.
>>
File: 1384297838422.jpg (14KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1384297838422.jpg
14KB, 200x200px
>>78997247
>mfw films got Durin's Bane EXACTLY how I imagined him, right down to the skin and horns
It was a weird feeling, like "holy shit they literally read my mind.

As to angry bookfags: they've never written anything in their lives, or they'd understand a 1 to 1 adaptation would be virtually impossible to pull off perfectly, otherwise it would fall flat on its face.

I know The Hobbit films get huge shit too (even from me), but the extended edition of the first one was actually pretty damn good. Second and third ones...just can't give them a pass. Just can't.
>>
>>78998387
>aside from some Gollum scenes in the EE
Yeah, he looks great as long as he's not in the sunlight. Then he looks like a cartoon.
>>
>>78998401
Jackson explains most of these changes in his commentary. The only one he regrets is faramir.
>>
>>78997247
>They assume that if they buy and like something it belongs to them
This basically sums up everything wrong with the internet.
>>
>>78998401
>Arwen is dying because of something

People sickening or becoming weakened by love or longing is a theme that Tolkien uses a few times.
>>
I'm a bookfag and I love original trilogy.
>>
File: TemptingFate.jpg (345KB, 2042x526px)
TemptingFate.jpg
345KB, 2042x526px
>>78999241

You think that'll stop them?

We've already had "the Prequels". Get ready for the Special Editions with Improved Graphics and Scenes.
>>
He left out bombadil because 'he doesnt move the story foward' and 'would confuse the audience'
Fucking niggers. He showed that not everyone is a cockslave to daddy Sau Sau's gay ass ring, but according to the movies everyone is affected by the ring.
>>
>>78999402

I've heard "it's impossible to adapt 1-to-1" too often in defense of absolute shit.

I don't hate the films but on a scale of "adapted well", they were about a 5/10. There was alot they could have done better but didn't.
>>
>>78997247
Let me break it down to you, anon
Are you familiar with the concept of virtue signaling? It's literally that except an earlier form
It's a way for people to let others know they've read the books and imply a shared superiority with other bookfags by virtue of having read them as reading is considered a higher form of entertainment than the visual media the unwashed plebs watch
>>
I think both are great.

Both offer a great experience.

Books if you want a cozy tale about people walking, movies if you want an epic.
>>
>>78999571
Leaving Bombadil out is the best decision he made.
>>
They cut out like a third of return of the king. Specifically the destruction of the shire.
>>
>>78999571
Tom Bombadil is part of the scenery. Interesting for fleshing out the world of Middle Earth - uninteresting as far as the story is concerned. In fact Frodo's ARGH SAVE ME TOM bullshit gets annoying the third time he uses it.
>>
>>78999629
Okay, I'll revise that. LotR specifically would have been VERY hard to adapt 1-to-1 and not have it be both long as hell, but also extremely tedious. It's one of those unfortunate aspects of something making a transition into another medium.
>>
>>78999671
Did it harm the film or the story though? Going back to the Shire after they made such a big deal of travelling closer and closer would throw the whole thing out of sync.
>>
File: Barrow_Downs.jpg (325KB, 1920x967px) Image search: [Google]
Barrow_Downs.jpg
325KB, 1920x967px
The Hobbits fighting the Barrow Wights would have been really cool to see on screen.

Why did Hackson take it out?
They could have done it without Bombadil
>>
>>78997636
Who doesn't want to see Gandalf portrayed as a proud woman of color? Are you racist?
>>
>>78999704

That's fair.

On some level though I feel like if something can't be made to do justice to its source, it shouldn't be done at all. There's nothing wrong with letting a masterpiece be, or perhaps making something heavily inspired by that masterpiece but fit perfectly to the new medium so that it's a masterpiece on its own. Apocalypse Now springs to mind as a possible example.

More relevant, I'd be thrilled to see a Silmarillion adaption that's half as good as its source, but if I know two things, it's that A) It will NEVER be even a fraction as good, and B) That won't stop them from doing it.
>>
>>78999763
Budget, time constraints, etc. Hell, it most likely would have bewildered all the normie slackjaws who never touched the books. The Warcaft film apparently did the opposite: stuck in a bunch of shit only hardcore lorefags would catch, but it caused both critics and a lot of theatre rats to furrow their brows in a vain attempt to understand what they just saw.
>>
>>78999843
That's why I give the Witcher games fair praise (despite Sapkowski's bitching). They didn't try to retread the books, nor did they try to directly continue the plot of them; rather they took the universe and made their own arc with it. The third series they started to slip up, shoving book characters on us, but those three games are a prime example of an adaptation done right and done well.
>>
>>78999763
All pretty redundant. The only problem was that it never explained where Merry got his sword from and how it could wound the Witch King. But nobody really cared because it was Eowyn's moment anyway.
>>
>>78999921
> No man can hurt me
But a hobbit can ;o)
>>
>>78999921
I think in the films he stabs the witch king with the elven dagger that Galadriel gave him
>>
>>78999843
Silmarillion would absolutely have to be a TV show. I don;t know how well received it would be though, if people have trouble following the characters in GoT they're going to have a fucking aneurysm trying to keep up with the amount of characters in The Silmarillion.
>>
>>78999763
>Why did Hackson take it out?
Because it doesn't serve any narrative point without tom, and without the blade of westerness.
It would just be a weird out of place spoopy ghost scene that would confuse the audience.
I mean they would escape the ring wraith to get caught by the wight, to go to bree to meet aragorn to get almost caught by the ring wrath, to then getting actually caught at weathertop.
It fucks the pacing up too much in a movie.
>>
>>78999964
FEANOR DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>78999990
Dropped that bitch the minute he burned the Teleri ships
>>
>>78999990
>defending a hothead
Aren't you tired of getting btfo every time you say this stupid shit?
>>
>>79000072
>>79000095

[kin-slaying and the swearing of terrible oaths intensifies]
>>
>>78999964

One of my main problems with the inherent troubles of adapting the Silmarillion would be some of the more mythical elements.

For instance, the duel between Fingolfin and Morgoth. Morgoth is described as a god the size of a mountain, yet Fingolfin does battle with and even injures him several time. It's great fuel for the imagination, but I'd bet money that whatever monkey who adapts it will turn it into an over-the-top scene ripped straight from God of War.

Regardless, The Hobbit films have soured me to any possible further Tolkien adaption. I just want them to stay the fuck away and I hope Chris Tolkien and whoever holds the rights after he passes will lock them down.
>>
>>78998159
Hackson really started to show through in RotK but it still was pretty good overall compared to the Hobbit movies.

FotR is still a masterpiece.
>>
>>79000134
>For instance, the duel between Fingolfin and Morgoth

I always imagined this like something out of Shadow of the Colossus
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (281KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
281KB, 1680x1050px
>>78997247
The same reason im mad that theres been over 100 productions of the count of monte cristo across movies, tv and theater, and the closest theyve got to the actual book is a fucking anime set 3000 years in the future.
>>
File: 1465414694474.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465414694474.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
>>78997247
>Frodo is not blond
>Aragorn is not a fascist
>no war of the Shire
>no Tom Bombadil
> ents are trees not tall humans
>>
>>79000134
>an over-the-top scene ripped straight from God of War.

Except that's almost exactly how Tolkien described it. Morgoth's mace literally smashing the ground so hard it creates huge craters and Fingolfin dancing around his legs striking wounds that would not. Also Fingolfin tanks at least three direct hits.
>>
>>79000161
that's cool, i always thought gods could change size so morgoth shrunk to say the size of andre the giant or goro or maybe slightly larger for the combat.

what would be cool is if he changed his side during combat.
>>
>>79000193
Can you seriously imagine how fucked up the pacing would have been with War of the Shire and Tom Bombadil?
>>
>>79000189
Dat anime was breddy gud tho, bruh.
>>
>>78998545
Theoden was Shakespeare tier, especially the 'who am I gambling?' scene
>>
>>78999980
It would have worked only if the film itself was only about wraiths hunting the hobbits down. Middle Earth Apocalypto. That doesn't sound half bad actually.
>>
>>79000301
it was "who am I, Gamling". Gamling was the name of his lieutenent who was dressing him in the scene
>>
>>78997485
This
Lotr adaptation was nearly perfect
The Hobbit's adaptation was shit, especially the 2nd and 3rd movie
>>
>>78997247
Bookfags are like that with everything. They don't understand that a film adaptation has different necessities then are triggered by omitted things constantly
>>
>>78997485
>There were only a couple of things that annoyed me which were the elves showing up at helms deep

I liked this change. Book elves are too aloof and are downright cunts at times. The timing is a bit weird, especially considering they got there so fast, but hey they're elves.
>>
I think most agree it's a good adaptation and they are great films. You want to see a shit adaptation look at Game Of Thrones.
>>
>>79000749
Some of the thin gs they left out on GoT makes absolutely no sense to me. At least with LotR you can argue the case for pacing issues.
>>
>>78999990
REMOVE NOLDOR
>>
>>78997373
The middle book got quite slow and boring. However, the end, where they destroy the ring and the bad guys collapse, was one of the most exciting moments I've ever read. All hail the ringbearers!

The movie completely failed at translating this moment and emotion.
>>
File: feanor_by_turnermohan-d78b863.jpg (195KB, 900x1203px) Image search: [Google]
feanor_by_turnermohan-d78b863.jpg
195KB, 900x1203px
>>79000115
>tfw you get banned from awesomeland over a bit of bantz
>>
>>78999730
Not to mention you just added another 20 minutes to the end of an alreadly long movie that already frustrated people with its pacing.
The scouring of the shire is one of my favorite parts of the book, but it makes sense to lose it in the screenplay.
>>
File: Unfinished-Tales-PB.jpg (161KB, 800x1216px) Image search: [Google]
Unfinished-Tales-PB.jpg
161KB, 800x1216px
Unfinished Tales trilogy when?
>>
>>79001339
GoT has 10 hours to work with per season/book unbelievable how much shit they cut
>>
>>78997485
You summed it up pretty well.
>>
>>78999990

Was Feanor the original hothead?
>>
>>78997485
>the elves showing up at helms deep
I don't have a source, unfortunately, but I remember reading that the elves at Helms' Deep was leftover from when New Line was doing fewer movies; a lot of the stuff with the elves and Galadriel was moved around, and once New Line gave the greenlight to adapt all three books as three separate films, they didn't have the budget to reshoot the scenes or redo the CGI without the elves.
>>
>>78997485
Denethor is probably the biggest mistake in the entire trilogy
>>
>>78999571
>He left out bombadil because 'he doesnt move the story foward'
He doesn't. That's exactly why Ralph Bakshi also left him out.
>>
>>79004677
>He was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind; of beauty, understanding, skill, and subtlety, of all the Children of Ilúvatar.

Spoilt little bitch
>>
>>79005004
I can totally understand leaving him out. And reading the books after watching the movie, Bombadil was a great surprise. I would have enjoyed a Bombadil cut scene though.
>>
>>78997485
Are you me? If you loathe the Hobbit movies we're identical.
>>
>>79005133
everyone including everyone that worked on the hobbit movies loathes the hobbit movies.
>>
>>79005004
He doesn't move the story forward true, but neither do the films capture the suspense and pacing of the first half of the books and the characters maybe aren't so well defined. Frodo also consistently looks like a bitch whereas in the barrow downs he is the most capable and doesn't succumb to evil so easily which explains his resistance to the ring.
>>
>>79001690
>The movie completely failed at translating this moment and emotion.
no it didnt, youre just an autistic fuck. you had your own movie in your head while reading the book, and because someone else's movie didnt match up with yours, you hate it. youre everything wrong with bookfags. stop commenting on movies because youre obviously too fucking stupid to differentiate them from their source material
>>
>>79002213
>long movie that already frustrated people with its pacing.
you already knew the movie would be 3h30 hours long going in. if the pacing frustrates you, its your own fault.
>>
>>79006150
At no point did that anon imply he hated the movies.

Calm your tits you fucking hothead.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.