[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am i the only one who hated this film? First two thirds are good,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

File: arrival_is_shit.jpg (286KB, 800x1249px) Image search: [Google]
arrival_is_shit.jpg
286KB, 800x1249px
Am i the only one who hated this film?
First two thirds are good, satisfying, hard sci-fi, last part was shit-tier fantasy sci-fi.
A language who make you see the future, or better, who make you live in the future and in the present at the same time?
plus, plot holes, a character who is basically useless in the story except for his semen and a chinese general which change his mind thank to a stranger who says shitty last words in chinese.

wtf why can't we have good hard sci-fi movies more often...
>>
>neo-/tv/
>>
>>78936423
>Am i the only one who hated this film?
Nope. It's 2 hours for a time paradox and "is it better to have loved and lost..."
>>
The general consensus is the only people who enjoyed it are faux intellectuals, ie reddit, who were the target audience for this film. It's perhaps one of the most shallow sci Fi movies ever filmed.
>>
there is a single alien first contact movie which isn't shit? please I need some big level alien film and i'm loosing my faith in hollyweed
>>
Eh, it's a well-made movie. As far as big budget Hollywood sci-fi goes, it's light years ahead of pretty much anything else that's been made in decades
>>
>>78936423

>wtf why can't we have good hard sci-fi movies more often...

Barbecue hard sci-fi is written by robots who can't write characters to save their life, and character matters more then fucking scientific accuracy.
>>
>>78936423
I swear when writers start using timetravel/future visions it always ends in a mess. every fucking time they build some retarded time paradox.

there should be someone in hollywood whose sole purpose it is to walk from studio to studio and slap them every time they want to make a movie with this shit in it.
>>
File: arrival.png (190KB, 741x339px) Image search: [Google]
arrival.png
190KB, 741x339px
>>78936541
i agree but why dis?
>>
>muh plot holes

easiest way to spot a manchild
>>
>>78936560
yep
>>
>>78936589

>I swear when writers start using timetravel/future visions it always ends in a mess. every fucking time they build some retarded time paradox.

It's almost like the rules matter less then the story being told and the ideas being conveyed.

The fact that people unroncally write off everything about a movie because the "rules" aren't consistent is insane.
>>
>>78936612
It's mass produced for the same people that eat up capeshit

>popular lead characters
>AYY LMAOs
>advanced science
>military
>love story
>>
>>78936423
>First two thirds are good, satisfying, hard sci-fi, last part was shit-tier fantasy sci-fi.
so like Interstellar?
>>
>>78936423
I appreciated the relatively high minded ambition, but yea, they took the whole "languages help form the way you think" thing and turned it into something retarded.
>>
>>78936648
love story? where?

Also, i preferred Passengers, imho characters waaaay more developed, and a very good scifi movie.
>>
>>78936612
it had nice visuals, Amy Adams was pretty good and Abbott and Costello were bro tier characters. the first three acts are enough to make the movie worthwhile. it's the end where it all went to shit. "herre, have my privat cerr phon numburu so you can carr me in past and say this:..."
>>
File: 92.jpg (20KB, 290x239px) Image search: [Google]
92.jpg
20KB, 290x239px
>>78936636
that kind of people takes sci-fi and fantasy REALLY seriously because they're addicted to escapism, which requieres consistent rules. they don't care if their massive, incredibly complex fantasies serve no purpose other than distraction.

they're really weak minded people.
>>
>>78936612
The movie literally panders to the lowest common denominator, of course the masses enjoyed it, it's masterfully crafted to be easy to consume for even borderline retards and makes them feel like they understood a movie with a "profound" message.

In reality, there is no message, there's nothing really left to contemplate once the movies over. Why wouldn't you choose to have a child even if she will die at an early age? You get to enjoy her presence for like twenty plus fucking years. The movie showed absolutely no results from humanity acquiring the ability to be able to foresee the consequences of their actions.

It's still a good movie, it's entertaining enough to watch, it's just not deep at all.
>>
>>78936423
>If you choose to have a child she will suffer horribly and then die in pain.
>"lol k, i'ma have her anyway for teh lulz"
Fuck you, bitch.
>>
>>78936662
Exactly like interstellar, that i'm saying, hollywood can't make a sensate sci-fi movie, they have to push in our throat some fucking magic abracadabramath in it EVERY TIME.
>>
>>78936713
The focus of the end of the movie. They get together, have the kid, split up then the kid dies. You see the whole relationship from start to end all at once, like how the language works.
>>
>>78936423
I doubt it. It was pretty bad.
>>
>>78936636
there's a difference in the importance and use of the rules.
Looper is a good example. the timetravel is irrelevant here because they just use it as a tool to show the loop from one generation to another. they even flat out say this in the movie.

in arrival the whole climax of the movie is the mediocre twist about her daughter and the resolution of the conflict with china. the scene where she meets the gook is what ruined it. he just spoonfeeds her exactly what she needs to say. doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>78936734
we are talking movies, not life, if there are genres why don't respect them, don't put a fucking sci-fi label on it
>>
>>78936768
and what do you consider good sci-fi?
>>
>>78936758
>Why wouldn't you choose to have a child even if she will die at an early age? You get to enjoy her presence for like twenty plus fucking years.
The daughter will die as a child, there is no "twenty plus years" involved.
>>
>>78936790
And it totally destroy the empathy of the relationship, I literally doesn't give a shit about the characters because I already know it all, so it's kind of useless.
>>
>>78936868
They literally show the child in her late teens to early twenties you slope browed mongoloid, and that's entirely beside the point, you shit.

Clearly she was able to decide that the life that child had with them and how it enriched their lives outweighed the suffering.
>>
>>78936862
Moon, The Martian, Blade runner, Farheneit 451 and some other but there aren't a lot.
There is a lot more examples of good sci-fi in games and books.
>>
>>78936734
>sci fi and fantasy have consistent rules

you're baiting harder than Alice ever did.
>>
>>78936942
it's an anti-abortion, anti-china movie.
>>
>>78936942
>They literally show the child in her late teens to early twenties you slope browed mongoloid
She is 12 at the oldest point, you fucking cretin. If that looks "early twenties" to you you need to get out more.
>Clearly she was able to decide that the life that child had with them and how it enriched their lives outweighed the suffering.
"Hurr durr my enjoyment outweighs the importance of my daughter suffering, she is a toy bred for my amusement and then left to die and that's perfectly fine DURRR"
I thought retards couldn't be psychopaths as well but there you are.
>>
File: trumpkek.jpg (64KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
trumpkek.jpg
64KB, 800x500px
>>78937019
>>
>>78937019
>anti-china movie.
>China is portrayed as the lead military power
>China saves the day in the calling off their attack

This was made with the Chinese audience in mind
>>
>>78936988
>The Martian
I stopped reading there
>>
File: kek (2).jpg (17KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
kek (2).jpg
17KB, 413x395px
>>78937055
>ching chong talk with a game to the aliens teaching them competition
>china almost made humanity be killed by ayyy lmao...
>ching chong are basically the bad guys

>>>>>>>>>chinese audience in mind
>>
>>78936988
Blade Runner and Farheneit 451 don't even count as sci-fi

if you like Moon you should like 2001, and if you like 2001 you should like Solaris, those are the real thing
>>
File: 190.jpg (42KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
190.jpg
42KB, 480x360px
>>78936857
fiction is inspired on life you fucking dunce

I'm sorry you feel cheated because you thought using a sci-fi premise and setting forbids the director from making anything that isn't popcorn fantasy with a shitty hero's journey.

genres were invented in early hollywood because it streamlined and accelerated the film production proccess and guaranteed a decent profit, because the audience always got what they were expecting and nothing else.

any genre film worth taking doesn't stick by that genre's "rules". why would you want to see something you've already seen?

>>78936997
they're retarded rules and they get rewritten all the time to fit the needs of the plot, but they're at least somewhat consistent over a large number of sequels/spin-ofs/etc.
>>
>>78937199
>*worth taking seriously

FUCK
>>
>>78937188
China has the power. That's what they care about.
>>
>>78936768
Stupid magic shit is the one reason sci fi exists.
>>
>>78936423
No man
>First two thirds are good, satisfying, hard sci-fi, last part was shit-tier fantasy sci-fi.
I've been saying this for like a month and a half now
>>
REMINDER THAT THIS IS A SCREENERFAG THREAD, THEREFORE ALL OPINION ON THE MEDIUM ARE INVALID
REMINDER THAT THIS IS A SCREENERFAG THREAD, THEREFORE ALL OPINION ON THE MEDIUM ARE INVALID

But you carry on arguing about literal plot points and the logical order of the narrative thinking that you are "discussing" a visual medium like film, filthy peak-end rule driven screenerfags.
>>
>>78937199
not even bait
>>
>>78937196
and I like them
>>
>>78937262
I just flushed $12 down my toilet. Does my opinion count now?
>>
>>78937262
Fuck you retard, I watched it in cinema and it was dogshit
>>
File: 123145644.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
123145644.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>78936423
>last part was shit-tier fantasy sci-fi.

haven't seen it, but it sometimes happens when the "sci-" part of the plot gets obtuse, unexplained clearly or sophisticated too much, people may complain about it being bullshit.
>>
>>78937085
the martian is a good sci-fi movie, better than a lot of, expecially arrival
>>
>>78937324
Tell me in a coherent sentence with actual arguments why do you think it was "dogshit"
>>
>>78937414
I had nothing invested in the relationship that the movie ended on. The squidbillies already told me how it would end.
>>
>>78937399
well I didn't complained about laser sabers, this is an enourmous biological and fisical bullshit
>>
>>78937414
Not this guy >>78937427 but what he said. Director didn't make me care about the characters in the slightest because he intrigued me with (much more interesting) sci fi concepts and then he stripped the film down to a cliche dead child subplot
>>
>>78937427
>I didn't get 2 hours of exposition and 3 prequels so I couldn't really relate to the characters or care about their relationship

hmm your autism really got me thinking...
>>
>>78936423
Yea it was dull, lifeless hamfisted cliche crap. Amy Adams also can't emote.
>>
>>78937427
The "relationship" is a one minute sequence, surely you don't judge a whole film just by one sequence?

Comment on the movie in general, not singular lines in writing.

What about the editing? What about the framing and composition? What about the pacing? What about the production design? What about the sound track? What about the sound design? What about the performances? What about the narrative structure?

If you think a movie is "dogshit", then I'm sure you can tell me how badly executed these (or any other) filmmaking elements are.
>>
>>78937500
I don't care if a movie has a relationship, if it's good. This relationship seemed like an afterthought compared to the rest of the movie. Like some exec jumped in and reminded them the lead characters in movies HAVE TO get together.
>>
>>78936423
Definitely not this movie was complete crap.

Why do the aliens need humanity in 5 billion years and they could travel through space and time but couldn't figure out our language? Come on a fucking 3 year old can pick up on it why can't they?

Total shit.
>>
>>78937549
>What about the editing? What about the framing and composition? What about the pacing? What about the production design? What about the sound track? What about the sound design? What about the performances? What about the narrative structure?
Most of that stuff is good, as you would expect it to be in a big budget movie. Call me crazy. but I think the story is key. Aliens coming to makes allies was cool, but the end changed into something I just did not care about.
>>
>>78937499
You missed the film entirely.

The sci-fi concepts and the aliens were only a plot device to propell the actual narrative forward, which is Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and appreciating every waking moment of it.

Maybe that's a marketing fault promoting the movie as an alien first contact movie, while that is only the setting where the story is set.
>>
>>78937402
>the martian is a good sci-fi movie
You have to go back.
>>
>>78937617
>Call me crazy. but I think the story is key

Film is a visual medium, the story is just one element of the whole.
Google "peak-end rule" to find out how primitive your thinking is if you base your whole viewing experience on one or two scenes.

Also it seems to me that you hate the people who enjoyed this movie more than the movie itself.
Because your arguments don't sound like the movie is "dogshit" at all, mediocre atleast.
>>
Ok as im reading this thread I think I misunderstood the movie, so she acquired the ability to live time ubiquitously by learning the language? I thought it was somehow transfered to her when she removed her suit and made contact with the the aliens because she he has her first "flashback" right after.
>>
>>78937620
You have a point, maybe I missed the point and maybe the writer and the director just didn't know where the potential of the story lies and what they should bank on (it's the aliens and the hard scifi elements, also linguistics, shit like that). Like the other guy said, it really seems like a hollywood exec came on the set and was like "hurrr we need this romance and drama you guys". I guess that's what happens in the story but I didn't get the feeling at all that I'm watching a film about Amy Adams honestly, until the third act
>>
>>78937695
>Also it seems to me that you hate the people who enjoyed this movie more than the movie itself.

this happens a lot around here.
>>
>>78937695
I never said dogshit. You are talking to more than one person that didn't like this movie. If you liked it fine, I don't need to drag you down to say it's bad so we agree. I get that there is more than one way to appreciate a movie. But this isn't 2001, this isn't going to be held up as art. The relationship, driven by the scifi, is just another version of is it better to have loved and lost?
>>
>>78937753
>but I didn't get the feeling at all that I'm watching a film about Amy Adams honestly, until the third act

How?

From the start the whole film is shown from Amy Adams point of view, we as the viewer see the same things her character sees or experiences, and it's all emphasized with a shallow focus (especially in the first act) so the viewer feels like her character.

And if it's not from her perspective, then it's more than likely a heavy close-up of her face for half a movie probably.

I still stand by point that it's probably a marketing fault and your preconceived expectations of what you are about to see, because this movie is as "Amy Adams" focused as it get's
>>
>>78937865
What I meant was, I never saw her as something other than a placeholder for the audience to self insert (with some unimportant backstory added just because) and all the closeups were basically just reaction shots to show her getting more and more nervous (to facilitate the same feelings in the viewer). Her backstory never seemed important to me. But yeah, that's probably because I went in expecting something different
>>
>>78937550
the relationship was part of the original short story.

if we saw the relationship develop throughought the movie there would be no emotional climax to the movie.

amy has decided she does not want to change things because of how much she already loves her daughter, and chooses to believe Ian when he tells her he wouldn't change things if he knew the ending.

would you choose to change things to avoid future pain, at the cost of missing out on love and happiness? that's the most important question this film makes.
>>
>>78936988
The Martian?! That was a bad movie, not bad as Interstellar, but still bad.
>>
>>78938010
>would you choose to change things to avoid future pain, at the cost of missing out on love and happiness? that's the most important question this film makes.
That is not lost on me, that is what I mean by "it's better to have loved and lost". I just did not care. That doesn't make it dogshit. That's why I didn't like it.
>>
File: 217.jpg (20KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
217.jpg
20KB, 297x297px
>>78938065
not the guy you replied to, but I'm fine with that being your reason for not liking the film.

I mean, it's a question that has been asked many times since time travel became a thing in movies, particularly since La Jetée. So in terms of originality, the way language shapes the perception of reality is a much more interesting theme, and I agree it would've been interesting to see it developed further in a third act, but I doubt there would've been a satisfying end in that way.

It's a matter of life perspective in the end.
>>
>>78938029
>the Martian
>better than anything
>>
>>78936423
It's the same bullshit that they did with Interstellar.
Instead of sticking to the science, they force in some subpar emotional ending crap.
>>
>>78936636
>The fact that people unroncally write off everything about a movie because the "rules" aren't consistent is insane.
>implying Titanic wouldn't have been panned critically if the characters suddenly ignored gravity and hovered to the lifeboats at the end
>implying James Bond would have become a successful series if the writers had had Connery dodging bullets like Neo, but with no explanation

To engage an audience you need tension. If the main character can just ass-pull the solution to a conflict by time travelling to the future of *an alternate reality where the conflict has been resolved via unexplained magic* and then fix her own reality using the knowledge obtained then that's fucking bullshit. Looking into the future from the point she was at should have revealed a world war (or nothing if she dies soon) because that's where things were headed. That's what would actually happen if you could see the future in that situation. If this isn't obvious to you you're simply not as smart as you think you are. Arrival was badly written, it was nice film-making though - it told a bad story well. I can think of plenty of reasons to like the film but story is not one of them.
>>
File: epic_idea.jpg (408KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
epic_idea.jpg
408KB, 1920x1080px
I would have liked it more if :
>the alien are not good at language so they don't even try to talk to us, they let us make all the work to understand them and we understand that lately(erase all the language gift to see the future shit)
>all the mess because of them saying "give weapon" stay intact (everyone thinking what they meant, china going full muh arumy, muh autorrutarian communism and shit going down)
>amy adams save the day by going to talk the aliens and they say her (now she get the languege) "we need humanity because of alien race wich is warmongler and want conquer us, we are peace not war, help us to war you human warrior"
>but they want help and will give technology to help them make weapons and fight (they are more like scientist but can't think of how to use technology in a good way to make weapons and they don't know strategy at all, also it's because of that they arrived in 12 fucking different places random, but it's fun how the humans try to understand why they done it) only if humanity at peace, you know the discussion, 1/12 part of the whole, so amy convince cia to telephone mao zedung and to peace for the technology, so the other 12 give their pieces of the technology.
>their true gift was peace in the world, but a war in the galaxy
>end
>>
>A language who make you see the future, or better, who make you live in the future and in the present at the same time?
>a chinese general which change his mind thank to a stranger who says shitty last words in chinese.

For someone who has problems with the use of language in the movie, OP clearly doesn't have a very good command of it.
>>
>>78938963
Sorry not sorry, clearly english isn't my first language, nor the second, nor the third...
I know this can be strange for some country in the world
>muh english
>>
Did any of you actually read the short story the film was based on?

Ted Chiang is a master of hard sf, and he goes into some depth as to the nature of what's happening in the story.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.