[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a movie that defines post-modern America better? Also,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: americanhoney.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
americanhoney.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
Is there a movie that defines post-modern America better?

Also, let's discuss the movie. What's the deal with the ending?
>>
I never understood what the term "post-modern" means

How is it physically possible to be "post-modern"
>>
>>78933669
It's a complicated term but if i should try and explain it I would call it a form of heightened self-awareness/realism. You should look it up on wikipedia for a better explanation.
>>
>>78933669
It's where you view the world through the sort of lens that became widespread following the once paradigmatic modernism. The themes that resonate with a modernist viewpoint are optimistic, worldly, and forward thinking. Post modernism eschews optimism for a more self aware, self focused, and often pessimistic themes.

You have to understand what was going on in the world at the time. Modernism was widespread and dominant through a long period of growth, innovation, prosperity, and peace in the west. As history changed course after world wars and other big downers, the optimism of modernism stopped resonating so much for some people. Hence the birth of post modernism, in the people who were searching for more than could be satisfied by a modernist viewpoint.
>>
>>78934065
I think maybe for young people growing up in America it's "always" been like this. But as a Norwegian, growing up with this modernistic optimism of the 90's and early 2000's, and feeling safe, the difference is clear as day. Even though I probably have it 10 times better than the average American, especially if I were to judge of this movie. The prospect of Trump leading the land for the next 4 years doesn't help on the outlook either, imo.
>>
>>78933669
It's long-hand for contemporary.
>>
>>78933669
Modernism was the governing philosophy and aesthetic of the 19th and 20th century. By the mid-twentieth century, modernism was no longer in vogue, and the new philosophy needed a name. It opted for post-modernism, as in, the philosophy that comes after modernism. Basically, the term "modernism" was chosen by people who assumed they were living in an epoch that would last forever, and "post-modernism" was chosen by people who liked to slap prefixes on everything.
>>
>>78934142
>>78934185
We are witnessing the early stages of a new cultural era, I think the next big lens will be of a much more humble viewpoint, instead of the brash, "anything goes" sort of stuff that has been going on for the better part of a century, I think people will start to look outwards more to understand their world. Both to the natural world and to the people around us
>>
>>78934272
We're in the Fourth Turning.
>>
>>78933669
Post-modern = edgier than modern
>>
>>78933669
post modernism is just what comes after the artistic/philosophical movement "Modernism"
TLDR version, Modernism i concerned with experimentation and progressing it's medium, always being new. Where Postmodernism tends to be characterized by more cynicism, deconstruction, irony and playing with context.
>>
>>78933649
shia go back to your hole, stop shilling for your shitty movies
>>
>>78933649
I'd to define her post modern America if you know what I mean
>>
>>78934646
you will not divide us
>>
>>78934646
>>78934673 was meant for >>78934386

but yeah would denifitly taste that american honey
>>
>>78933669
As far as music and art go the modern era is from like 1860s to the 1970s, so it's been done you can call right now post modern or contemporary.
>>
>>78933649
post-modernism is literally Plebbit which means it's absolute cancer.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.