[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /tv/ think of A Series of Unfortunate Events? I enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 19

File: .jpg (138KB, 960x1452px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
138KB, 960x1452px
What did /tv/ think of A Series of Unfortunate
Events?

I enjoyed
>Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf
>The soundtrack
>It was a reasonably faithful adaptation of the books

I disliked
>The child acting
>The horrible CGI
>The pacing was off, some parts seemed to drag on for far too long
>>
>>78914519
inb4 pedos
>>
Finished the series last night and rewatched the movie this morning.

I like how they're sneaking in subtle references like Olaf referencing the sugar bowl in Bad Beginning and taxi driver in Wide Window saying something to the effect of "call me Ishmael"(was that what he said)?.
>>
>>78914519
Just started it, and I'm loving every bit of it (on episode two right now). Although the CGI reminds me of The Cat in the Hat. Warburton is my favorite so far.
>>
>>78914519
I've watches a couple of episodes and so far it's pretty alright, I rather like the theme song.
I never read the books so I don't know whether the series or the movie are a better adaptation of them though.
>>
>>78914519
>>The horrible CGI
That was purposeful. It was meant to look cartoonish and fantastical - because that art direction fit the books.
>>
I watched the first episode and a bit of the second. It's a kid's show and it's not like some kid shows where it's worth watching even when you're older.

I feel like if you do something this outrageously quirky there has to be some comparison made to wes anderson, and you can tell that they took a lot of hints from watching his stuff. But it's wes anderson without the creativity and imagination for detail of the shots, and without the subtle focus on character. I don't see any value you in it if you are over like 13.
>>
>>78914519
I enjoyed
>dick sucking lips
>some nice fan service to us cunnybros

I disliked
>overuse of narrator technique

Do you think she knwos what impregnate means?
>>
Why is Aunt Josephine black?
>>
>>78914519
I couldn't get past the first episode.
>>
I liked NPH but overall I wouldn't watch it over again. There are worse things to sit through if you have children, but there isn't much there for adults.
>>
File: 1457751014150.jpg (87KB, 970x617px) Image search: [Google]
1457751014150.jpg
87KB, 970x617px
>>78916102
i'm the only one that actually found it a bit unconfortable that she was a screaming black lady like "hell naw" who goes hiding in a cave while eating bananas?

I can't be the only one
>>
Is John C Reilly confirmed to play Vice Principal Nero yet? The role was literally written for him
>>
Why didn't you look away /tv/?
Do you ENJOY watching the Baudelaire orphans suffer?
>>
>>78914519
I'm loving it because I loved the books. Better than the film in every day.

However, I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the books watching it and enjoying it. It's just too atypical to stand on its own.
>>
The biggest issue is NPH insisting on being the lead and gutting Olaf by making him a comedic character.

Olaf is 90% terrifying and 10% a fool, not vice versa. It's pretty hard to have any tension or suspense when the villain is portrayed as a complete joke.
>>
>>78916184
nah man you're the only one.

It was totally fine when white Josephine did the same, so it's fine now. To say otherwise means you're just a racist masquerading as a SJW.
>>
>>78918052
I don't think you understand the point of Olaf's character. You're supposed to underrate him and think he's an incompetent idiot. And then, amidst the comedic buffoonery, he starts doing genuinely fucked up shit. The contrast is what makes him so insidious. You never stop wondering just what this guy is capable of.
>>
>>78918166
>You're supposed to underrate him and think he's an incompetent idiot.

What are you basing this on? He's supposed to be a heartless psychopath that will gut you as soon as look at you.
>>
The only real weak point was NPH as Olaf, yet one of the strongest points was NPH as Olaf's different disguises. Also the person who played Aunt Josephene wasn't very good either. Other than that it was solid; even the kid actors were good enough.

One thing I have a slight issue with is introducing the VFD stuff so early in which it makes some of the character's motivations and actions more confusing than they should be. It works in the books when its introduced later and retroactively ties in the previous people to it as it enhances the mystery but the way they are doing it with the series, it just creates this slight confusion with some of the characters.
>>
>>78918215
He was just as comedic in the books, that's all. Even as a little kid I remember groaning at how retarded his plans sound, and then being shocked when he does something as fucked up as murder Monty and Josephine or imprison the Quagmires in an elevator shaft.
>>
First few episodes have been great. But I remember the charm of the books wearing off on me about half way through. I feel like that's gonna happen again. The series just runs out of gas after 8 or so stories of the same thing
>>
>>78914519
the shit CGI i can forgive, the child acting is average imo which is shit, the pacing is pretty bad.
I don't like that each book is a 2 parter because some could have gone for 3, like the reptile room and miserable mill
>>
>>78916102
to help allude that she's not really their Aunt
>>
>>78918231

Yea you're point about the VFD is accurate.

For example Uncle Monty has clearly dedicated his life to becoming a deep part of a super secret society with super secret codes and enemies and disguises and he's tasked with raising the children in the ways of the VFD but when he knows that Stefano is lying to him to infiltrate his home and gain his confidence he thinks it's to steal his fucking snakes?

It makes much more sense in the book when he's just a good hearted but short sighted scatterbrain.
>>
>>78916079
/tv/ - Television and Film
>>
>>78918231
I think NPH was the best as Shirley. you could tell he was having fun in drag
>>
>watch the movie
>people complain it's just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey
>watch the Netflix show
>people complain it's just NPH being NPH

I never read the books, how the fuck IS Count Olaf supposed to act?
>>
The Wide Window was so bad. That bitch playing Aunt Josephine can't fucking act.
>>
>>78919218
Less outright comedic. The books were funny, but Olaf was rarely the source of the humour.
>>
>>78919218

He's supposed to be threatening. All of those lines where he jokes about cutting their toes off and murdering them are supposed to be credible threats.
>>
not a pedo but that violet had some sexy ass dick sucking lips
>>
>>78919256
definitly the low of the season, monty was awesome and legit a good person, aunt josephine came out as unlikeable at all points
>>
>>78914519
i can get over most of the problems

and it was really good

but god damn those children cant act. its a shame. its like they were the only ones not comically dreadful
>>
File: clean this up wagie.jpg (111KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
clean this up wagie.jpg
111KB, 1280x640px
what do you guys think of the 4th wall jokes
>>
>>78919010
I figured he was playing along so he wouldn't let olaf know he knew who he was.
>>
>>78919218
He's always characterized as menacing but come on, he reaches Trix Rabbit level of futility trying to catch these kids. I always read him as a tongue in cheek kind of scary which NPH does pretty well
>>
File: 3426.jpg (83KB, 449x594px) Image search: [Google]
3426.jpg
83KB, 449x594px
This man is a treasure.

I actually haven't see Flight of the Conchords but he is a complete showstealer in this, the X-Files reboot and all of the Taika movies.
>>
Really wish they had kept the atmosphere and tone of the movie. NPH as Olaf is pretty good but I admit I think I like the Jim Carrey version better. The other actors are kinda flat in a lot of places, especially Mr. Poe.
>>
>>78919701
Mr. Poe was god tier.
>>
It is so much more convenient to consume entertainement from the comfort of your own home.
>>
I enjoyed it, I found the character performances like Mr. Poe to be fantastic, even if NPH is an overall weaker attempt at the role than Jim Carrey
I also think it mostly found a better medium between being dark and goofy than the movie did, although that song at the very end was cringe inducing
>>
>>78914519
>What did /tv/ think of A Series of Unfortunate
>Events?
THANKS FOR ASKING EVERY 18 HOURS
IS IT TIME FOR A GENERAL ALREADY
>>
>>78916408

john c reilly is shit

fuck off reddit
>>
>>78914519
It feels a bit Reddit to be honest. Like it's trying too hard to be quirky and intellectual.
>>
>>78914937
Yes, although I think that may have also just been a Moby Dick reference since the gag is that the Taxi Driver keeps going on about it
>>
>>78914519
Am I the only one annoyed at how the kids keep instantly figuring out Olaf's disguises? It completely ruins any potential tension those disguises might create if the viewer were to figure it out before the kids, and sort of ruins the point of Olaf wearing a disguise in the first place.
>>
LOOK AWAY LOOK
A W A Y
W
A
Y
>>
>>78919849
>disguise
what? what are you on about
>>
File: parker-posey.jpg (733KB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
parker-posey.jpg
733KB, 2000x3008px
Post casts for the next season

Pic related: Esme
>>
>>78919849
The disguises are supposed to be shit, because all the adults are idiots. In the books, all of the henchmen's disguises were actually flawless and not even the Baudelaires could spot them.
>>
>>78914519
Best kid in the movie was the babby. The others were so fucking bland and boring. Maybe because they were trying to be "melancholy" or something
>>
>>78919849

The disguises aren't really supposed to work, it's just a plot device to get him near the orphans without their guardians realizing it.

The real tension is supposed to come from not knowing where he is or when he's gonna pop up which the show completely fucks up. Arriving at the mill town and seeing a huge building shaped like Olaf's tattoo is supposed to be creepy and when he pops up as Shirley it's supposed to be a reveal but the show completely fucks it up by showing him track the orphans from the first scene and explaining his entire plot and relationship with Orwell to the audience.

THE ORPHANS ARE THE LEADS, NOT FUCKING OLAF. NO ONE CARES ABOUT OLAF'S EX GIRLFRIENDS.
>>
>>78920142
Yeah, but it also just seems wrong that they see right through his disguise whereas in the books it always took them some time to figure them out. But I do agree that showing Olaf out of disguise at the beginning of each "book" is a bad move on the show's part.
>>
>>78921551
>Yeah, but it also just seems wrong that they see right through his disguise whereas in the books it always took them some time to figure them out.

You literally completely made this up. They see through his disguise every time just like in the show. Many times in the show the dialogue is word for word from the book when they encounter him in a new disguise.
>>
>>78914753
xD
>>
>>78919849
For the last time, Anon: How many times do I have to tell you those people are not Count Olaf in disguise? Count Olaf is a despicable man with a tattoo on his ankle.
>>
>>78921647

I understand that the three of you have had some terrible experiences and I hope you're not letting your imagination get the best of you. Remember when you lived with Uncle Monty? You were convinced that his assistant Stephano was really Count Olaf in disguise.
>>
>>78921647
BAUDELAIRES!
BAUDELAIRES!
BAUDELAIRES!
>>
>>78921840
BUT HE WAS
>>
This is a fucking awful show, and if you like it, you're a fucking plebian and need to do some serious soul searching.
>>
>>78921647
Fuck, read it in his voice
>>
>>78919895
I always pictured wendy malick as esme.

She is way too old for the role now though.
>>
Was it just me or did Olaf portray way too much sexual interest in Violet? Considering that pedophilic tendencies are a huge taboo in our society... some scenes made me cringe at the uncomfortableness(wedding and others) of it but again it made Olaf a very sinister man.
>>
>>78915758
>Jokes on you, I was pretending to be retarded
>>
>>78924640
I'm sure this is a retarded question, but was that present in the books too?
That scene in which Olaf says something like "I'll touch whatever I want" referring to the fortune but at the same time touching Violet was pretty unsettling.
>>
File: 1417897545252.jpg (12KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
1417897545252.jpg
12KB, 200x189px
>start watching with my sister
>get uncomfortable when cute loli appears
>start watching something else
>>
>>78918215
Not that anon, but that Anon is right.

Hes like that in the books, its a dark comedy honestly until Vile Village, then its just dark.
>>
>>78920142
Even as a kid I felt the orphans were about as interesting as a sack of rice, they are by far the most boring characters in the entire series. That's not to say they're bad, they function as the clever cardboard antagonists we need for a series like this, but still.

Olaf and the VFD stuff was always really cool, I'm glad the Netflix show is putting more focus on them to be honest.
>>
Why was the baby cgi in every scene? Even the ones where she's just being held.
>>
>>78924783
>watch show
>develop fetish for lolis with DSL because of it
>workplace has children coming in and out regularly
>now notice DSL on lolis
>regularly get boners
>have to quit
>>
>>78919849
Have you NOT read the fucking books?

Thats a major part of it for awhile, the kids, and you(the kid reading) figure it out ASAP, yet the adults incompetence is what ultimately hurts them.

Thats a major running theme, and then the orphans get fed up and Vile Village happens.
>>
>>78924835
>antagonists
meant protagonists, fuck.
>>
>>78921551
They know his disguises instantly in the books.

Its the henchman they dont.
>>
>>78924751
It probably seems worse in the show because she's like 12 compared Violet being a mature 17 year old.
>>
>>78925373
>Violet being a mature 17 year old

she is only 14 in the books.
>>
>>78924751
In the books he told Violet that since she was so pretty, he wouldn't dispose of her like he would the other two once they were married. The implications were always there.
>>
>>78925408
Was that the other set then that had the 17 year old?
>>
>>78924864

kysmm
>>
>>78914519
Just saw the first episode. I hope they get a second season, I've always wanted to see an adaptation of books 4 and 5
>>
>>78914519
Why is Violet so much taller than Klaus in that image?
>>
File: kids-on-trolley.jpg (117KB, 378x550px) Image search: [Google]
kids-on-trolley.jpg
117KB, 378x550px
It's around a 6/10. I really don't like the overuse of bright colors and CGI, and while NPH is amusing to watch, he's more like a clown rather than the conniving villain that's in the books. Overall, just too much "quirky" comedy, not a huge fan of the constant Snicket interjections either.

I think a show would have benefited from much more muted colors and closely followed the aesthetics of the illustrations. The books were hardly funny; from what I remember there was a heavy dose of legitimate misery and death of innocents in many of them. The comedy was super-dry word play, and Olaf certainly wasn't a clown. Go to the Amazon page of the first book and read through some of it, you'll see the inherent differences from the show.
>>
i read these books in 3rd grade so all the meta shit probably went past me. i just liked the wackiness and adventure

should i read it again
>>
>>78924882
Huh. I guess it has been a while since I read the books.
I just seem to remember them not figuring it out instantaneously like they do in the show.
>>
>>78926551

It's fan artwork
>>
File: Damocles-Dock.jpg (107KB, 379x550px) Image search: [Google]
Damocles-Dock.jpg
107KB, 379x550px
>>78926604
Also, dumping based Helquist.
>>
File: Kids-on-steps.jpg (110KB, 376x550px) Image search: [Google]
Kids-on-steps.jpg
110KB, 376x550px
>>78926666
>>
File: Untitled.png (585KB, 732x576px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
585KB, 732x576px
>>78926619

Then you remember wrong
>>
File: Happy-balloons.jpg (97KB, 487x550px) Image search: [Google]
Happy-balloons.jpg
97KB, 487x550px
>>78926700
>>
File: Kids-on-fountain-copy.jpg (95KB, 386x550px) Image search: [Google]
Kids-on-fountain-copy.jpg
95KB, 386x550px
>>78926729
>>
File: Madame-Lulu.jpg (104KB, 374x550px) Image search: [Google]
Madame-Lulu.jpg
104KB, 374x550px
>>78926761
>>
File: Suspicious-man.jpg (107KB, 376x550px) Image search: [Google]
Suspicious-man.jpg
107KB, 376x550px
>>78926788
>>
File: Tired-trio.jpg (98KB, 374x550px) Image search: [Google]
Tired-trio.jpg
98KB, 374x550px
>>78926811
Last one.
>>
>>78914519
nice shill thread
>>
>>78915758
Absolutely not. The fuck outta here.
>>
>>78926850
>durr hurr muh shills

As if anyone would bother shilling in this shithole.
>>
The tone was darker than I expected, i liked the cast and settings of the show overall
>>
>>78926841
I read a story once where Klaus fucked Violet in this scene, so after that I jerked off to that pic a bunch.
>>
>>78914519
bretty gud

Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Warburton, and the guy that played Uncle Monty are the highlights for me

I also liked the song at the end of the last episode

get the kids some acting classes for the next season tho
>>
>>78919218
Kind of like the Joker in Batman the Animated Series, totally willing to torture/kill/maim but at the same time he's a goofball and having way too much fun in all of his schemes.
>>
>>78926912
to be fair Hillary Clinton spent a shitload of money shilling in this shithole and other even shittier shitholes.
>>
>>78923370
I wish I could be as advanced and sophisticated as you. Tell me, how do you do it?
>>
File: buy my book.jpg (8KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
buy my book.jpg
8KB, 320x180px
>>78914519
Hilarious, the efforts Netflix takes to shill their shows on here, even the ones nobody really gives a shit about.

I mean it's understandable, they spend so much money in making these shit shows so of course they're going to want to shill them. It's just so hilarious though.
>>
The books are better. The show had Alice in Wonderland-tier CGI. The kids weren't very good.

C+
>>
>>78914519

I just watched the first two episodes last night and fucked my friend during the third episode so I missed a good bit of it

I enjoyed some things and didn't care for some things, overall I enjoyed it enough to keep watching it
>>
I haven't seen it yet, since a lot of the changes from the books made me turn away. I was thinking about giving it a shot, but then the thread showed me that my main fears were proven right.

From what I see, they don't really keep the old Victorian-eque aesthetic of the books and movie? It's a shame. Flaws aside, the movie was fucking beautiful to look at.
>>
>>78914519
>I disliked
>the child acting
Bullshit, Klaus was fantastic
>>
File: 1485195437195.jpg (50KB, 560x955px) Image search: [Google]
1485195437195.jpg
50KB, 560x955px
First episode was horrible.
>>
if you haven't read the books 15 years ago, leave this thread immediately.
>>
>>78927470
there's no story like that in the books
>>
>>78929003
Yeah, it was a fanfic.
>>
>>78917959
Never read any of the books, have seen the movie once and forgot everything about it.
Now on on episode four and loving every bit of it (except shitty cgi, especially Sunny's weird head half the time). Jokes are on point. I will become your henchmen in law made me burst out laughing. So far every episode has at least two moments were I audibly laugh and I am watching this shit alone so that counts for something.
Tone and sense of humor work perfectly for me, however I wish they were relying less on cgi and more on practical (however shitty they might've been) effects, I think it would've suited the tone of the series better. They should've gone for early Burton esthetic
>>
>netflix makes an original series
>nobody really gives a shit about it
>guys, we're sinking, how do we get this out there, so that more plebs will watch it outside of our regular nigger demographic
>guys, social media is the only platform!
>I know of a site where kids circle-jerk and post frogs
>brilliant!
>let's put a few of our guys to shill our shows on that social media platform
>sir?
>yes, what is it?
>it's an anonymous image board
>brilliant! we can shill to our heart's content, and no one will be the wiser, this is the greatest marketing stint ever
>>
>>78930184
I'm confused by your post: I'm not sure if you are pointing out that shilling on 4chan would be retarded and therefore any accusations of it are dumb, or if you think this is how it actually goes.
>>
>>78930184
so true
>>
>>78914519
Not perfect but I enjoyed it. Will watch season 2 whenever it comes out.

My main gripe is probably the dialogue, it could have been more naturally written and delivered. I understand that the show is intentionally cheesy, but it got a bit grating at times.
>>
I don't really know what I'm supposed to get out of it.

As a kid or teenager, when I read the books, I probably identified with the kids a little bit who have to suffer being precocious and understanding of the world while the adults around them continuously fuck up and tell them that they're too young to actually know what's going on or what the right choices should be. It would have gone perfectly into that teen angst portion of my life along with being a story where you could get a kick out of stuff like the unreliable narrator, which was novel in a YA series.

But I have no idea what enjoyment I'm supposed to get out of it now as an adult. Is it just nostalgia bait?

It's too intentionally goofy and NPH chews the scenery too hard for someone to actually invest in any of the dramatic elements. The characters are all way too stupid and the world is all so intentionally filled with artifice that it's basically impossible to actually care about the characters' plights.

It's not particularly funny, unless a person thinks lachrymose or deadpan things are funny, along with the fact that none of the actors really have any charisma or charm.

It ends up being a series that I just kind of watch without feeling strongly about it any particular way. I think my states of mind while watching it were, "Oh I forgot what happened at this part even though I read the book." and "Oh, okay. That's what happened."

I guess I'm not a fan.
>>
>>78927721
There's no proof of this.

In fact, it's much more likely that the "CTR shill" thing was overblown and was largely just a creation of /pol/ posters who wanted an easy rationalization to ignore opposition. Notice that /tv/ is still full of anti-trump and anti-/pol/ posters even though Hillary's campaign is over. Are they all being paid by the democratic party?

Obviously there's no correlation between Netflix and Clinton. So, maybe Netflix has paid for shills (again, no proof of this either way), but is it really so unlikely that 4chan has a number of Netflix-watchers who would want to talk about the show? In fact, this thread is full of negative opinions from people who watched it. Did netflix pay them to share their negative opinions? Even the guy above who posted a bunch of pictures from the books prefaced his posts by saying he thought the show was a 6/10. Of the 65 unique posters in this thread, how many would be reasonable for Netflix to pay for? One is all you need to shill with. Do you think they paid for more? Do you think they change their IP a bunch to make it look like a bunch of separate posters? Why are there so many negative posts, then?

I'm just saying, this shilling conspiracy is pretty unlikely beyond just being unproductive towards discussion. But chances are you're a /pol/ poster and you'll ignore my arguments by assuming I was paid by the Clinton-Netflix coalition to take over 4chan.
>>
>>78930776
They're mindless meme spouters, reason never comes into the equation.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.