[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some films with superior theatrical cuts? Alien is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

What are some films with superior theatrical cuts?
Alien is the only one I can think of.
>>
Gladiator
>>
>>78867700
all the LotR movies.
>>
The Professional (1994).

All that extra shit featuring Leon training Matilda, and the "will he? Won't he?" pseudo-pedo shit wasn't necessary at all. The verrsion originally released for U.S. and Australian audiences was far-superior to the version released uncut for Europeans (Leon).

Debate me. You will LOSE.
>>
>>78867826

You know. This is true. But I only watch Extended Cut, because I wan't more. It's not better or worse than theatrical cut.
>>
Aliens
The Last Emperor
The Town

less doesn't mean worse you faggot directors
>>
>>78867700
What was so significantly changed in the later cut?
>>
>>78868177
It's just a novelty made for dvd box set extras. There's one major scene that didn't work with the pacing put back in, that's really all there is to it.
>>
>>78868064
the theatrical cut of aliens is far better
>>
>>78867700

Apocalypse Now.
>>
>>78868064
>>78868805
I think it's a little better because with the sentry guns taking out so many aliens, the Queen would basically be the last alien on the planet, not counting eggs/facehuggers.
Leaving the guns out helps pacing and keeps the threat of a bunch of aliens running around.
>>
>>78868177
The dumbass cocoon scene that thankfully got retconned.
>>
ghost in the shell 2.0 was a very bewildering experience

right at the top of the "but why would you do this?" starter pack. maybe not quite "technically" a directors cut, but it is in a way in spirit and intent.
>>
>>78870168
Is been too long since I last watched it cause I don't remember it.

Speaking of director's cut, how come Lynch who had a similar situation to what happened with Blade Runner never tried to salvage it but simply disowned it?
>>
The Good, the Bad and your mom
>>
>>78868908
that and the newts family scene is utterly pointless filler in an already 2hr+ movie and the scene where ripley laments the death of her daughter makes her protection of newt, and newt's entire purpose as a character really far too obvious
>>
>>78871366

There was a scene in the last act where Ripley, while escaping from the Alien and trying to reach the shuttle, ends up going down a shaft and discovering what happens to the victims of the Alien: being cocooned and slowly morphing into eggs. She torches Dallas, who was in extreme agony from the transformation process.

Even though it's a decent twist to the Alien life cycle and shit, it completely destroyed the pacing, and made absolutely no sense in the grand scheme of the movie's final act. Ship's about to explode and there's a big ass monster chasing you, you don't stop to chat with your moribund captain. Thank Jesus that scene was cut.
>>
Army of Darkness
>>
>>78867700
Star Wars
>>
>>78868908

Aliens Special Edition is a fine cut IMO, but some scenes are really not well-included indeed.

Ripley's daughter scene: could've been cut. It's too damn short and there's little to no emotional impact considering the context of her daughter's death. If somehow it had more of an emotional oomph to it, it would make Newt's role later in the movie much more satisfying. But since that would only be possible in a novelisation or in a Godfather-tier 3-hour cut, better cut it out.

Discussion of what's laying the Alien eggs: should've never been even considered. The Queen is the biggest moment of the movie and this conversation completely gives it away.

Sentry gun scenes: I'm a bit torn on these. Their overall pacing is nice, specially after the guns are dried and Ripley goes 'they'll find another way'. However it sorta kills the mood of threat from the Aliens since they just blindly run toward the guns and get rekt.

One that I like, though, is Newt's initial scene in the tractor: It's crucial, imo, to define how the colony got infected by the Aliens and also to reinforce how much of a twat Weyland-Yutani is.
>>
Dumb and Dumber
There's Something About Mary
>>
>>78872723
>it's crucial to see how the colony got infected
if you've seen alien you know exactly what's happened
>discussion of whats laying the eggs
that's a valid question the characters would be dumb not to ask and is good foreshadowing imo
>>
>>78872313
The entire OT really

The only change I ever liked was the ring around the Death Star explosion
>>
File: 1458459777245.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458459777245.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>Movie.Directors.Cut-SCNGRP gets uploaded
>nobody uploads the theatrical cut because "DC has all the scenes"
>>
>>78873029
seeing more of the wampa creature that attacks luke in empire was good. for some reason they really obscured it and cut most of it out in the ot
>>
>>78867834

This
>>
Blade Runner
>>
File: 1448530333883.jpg (168KB, 1016x970px) Image search: [Google]
1448530333883.jpg
168KB, 1016x970px
>>78873663
oh ho ho
>>
Apocalypse Now
>>
>>78873663
I agree. Ridley and the fans just bellyache about the voice over in the original cut because it says the word "nigger"

also
>hurr durr Deckard is a replicant so deep
>>
>>78874441
deckard being a replicant was always left to interpretation
they just used to original slam to black when the elevator doors shut instead of the slapped on footage from the opening of the shining and VO explaining how they lived happily ever after
>>
>>78867700
Apocalypse now? Blade runner?
>>
>>78867881
Ur gay
>>
>>78867881
both are good
>>
>>78872723
I actually feel that the ONLY stuff left in from the SE is the stuff about Ripley's daughter. Yeah, it makes things more obvious, but I like the "family building" aspect and also how the end is, in essence, a movie about two moms fighting.

My brother hyped up the sentry gun scene so much when I was a kid. I thought it was awesome looking in the Newt's Tale comic. But then I watch the movie and it's just them looking at a screen while we occasionally cut to stock footage of the aliens exploding. Big let down.

The Queen discussion I am ambivalent about, but I agree with your point that it takes away from the SHOCK of seeing the Queen the first time.

And yeah, the stuff with Newt's family and the colony is nicely done, but it's entirely unnecessary. It spells out stuff that we get intuitively.
>>
File: Conner_and_Iman_Fasil..jpg (29KB, 604x385px) Image search: [Google]
Conner_and_Iman_Fasil..jpg
29KB, 604x385px
>>78867700
Highlander
>>
>>78867700
Donnie Darko
>>
File: trek picture.jpg (457KB, 1000x1525px) Image search: [Google]
trek picture.jpg
457KB, 1000x1525px
>>78867700
I actually prefer the theatrical cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The modern effects in the director's cut look really out of place.
>>
>>78872723
The gun scene was just fine. It was probably one of the most suspenseful moments in the entire movie.
>>
>>78876043
the ripley's daughter scene, followed almost immediately by newts introduction is hand feeding the audience and is juxtaposed way too conveniently:
>the pain of loss of a daughter
>5 minutes later: OH LOOK AN ORPHAN GIRL! I wonder if they'll meet!
>>
>>78868064
>cutting out the scene with Ripley learning about Amanda

nah
>>
>>78868899
This. Fuck the french.
>>
>>78867700

Anything from Ridley Scott. He got shittier when growing up very fast, to current senile levels.
>>
Dumb and Dumber
>>
Fuck, I wish they still made movies like Alien and Predator.

Speaking of Predator, I can't for the life of me find a high quality Blu-ray rip of the NON Ultimate Hunter Edition ANYWHERE. I don't belong to any private trackers. :(
>>
>>78867834
yep

LoTR is my favorite trilogy, but those extended cuts are way too fucking much.
>>
>>78877716
That's why I'm saying keep Ripley's daughter stuff, but cut the scene of Newt's family and colony before things got Alien'd up in there.
>>
File: greedo-shoots-the-wall.webm (3MB, 1280x548px) Image search: [Google]
greedo-shoots-the-wall.webm
3MB, 1280x548px
>>78873420
>>78873029
sure
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.