[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/ Say I wanted to go across Africa in a school bus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Hey /trv/

Say I wanted to go across Africa in a school bus that I'm living in.

What kinds of legal things would I have to consider in regards to crossing boarders, visas and insurance?
>>
Own or rent the bus? Rentals may have restrictions on where you can take them.

Other than that, you'd need to know the same visa rules as anybody else, and be prepared for dicking around with customs for an extended time, or bribing to be cut loose, or both.

Insurance is a question you'd get best answers by contacting your carrier.
>>
>>949113
Aside from a valid registration and insurance (which will probably be the trickiest part since insurance that's valid in one country may not be valid in another), you'll probably be required to carry a Carnet de Passages.

It's a bond document that certifies that you are the owner of the vehicle and you're not going to sell it or use it to do business while you're in their country.

I'd also expect to get scrutinized quite a lot at border crossings, since it's a bus they might think you are trying to run an unlicensed tour company or refugee bus.
>>
>>949309
Also invest in a fully automatic AK and some rifle plates.

For you and a few friends.
>>
>>949113
Now that bus is fucking awesome
>>
I have nothing to contribute, but I am also interested in something similar (on a motorcycle). Where are you from, OP? It seems like the eastern side of Africa looks easiest in terms of Visas for American citizens. The west side has many advanced visas you'll need to acquire, as well as traveling through more dangerous countries.
>>
Okay, this sounds a bit sketchy, Africa is the second largest landmass on this earth...its huge, thus first determine your exact route. Then I assume you are driving your car from Europe to Africa, so yes ownership of car, insurance all will be issues. This will require extensive planning and you may want to consult with a range of people who have travel the route recently - they are out there and there are non-mainstream forums out there where you can get a lot of advice. Depending where you travel- you will need to make sure you can fix the main issues with your bus without the help of a mechanic or take one along. Practice changing tires. Get your Visas before you go do never, never just drive up to a border. Your main issues doing this are security, and corruption of local officials.
>>
OP here, I'm from New York State. 20 years old and about to join the navy for six years. After, I want to find an old Manual Transmission Diesel Bus and take a few months renovating it and fitting it to also run on waste vegetable oil.

My dream is to take two years and go down through central and south america, ship it over to south africa and go north. Live and eat out of it the whole time on a $20K budget.

>>949428
I was thinking I'd end up stowing a fire arm it in somewhere.

>>949453
I'm definitely interested in bike trips as well, check out the avdrider forum, those guys are veterans. I personally want a honda xr650r, get it plated and insured, reenforce the subframe for a luggage rack and tour around everywhere.

The bike can be bought and modified for about 5 grand. After uncorking the exhaust and putting larger jets in the carbs, they make 60+ horse power. And it's only just over 300lbs! it'd make for a very capable bike. Infact I had thoughts about welding a rack on the bus frame to carry the bike around.
>>
>>949456

That's what I've been reading, acquiring visas first saves lot's of head aches.

I can do most work on a vehicle myself. The only things that are beyond me to fix are modern day vehicles with complex computer and sensors.

The first thing I'd do to the bus is go around and replace the whole suspension, brakes, wheel bearings, service the differential, change all fluids, new clutch ect.
>>
>>949458
Body armor is underrated. wear kevlar at all times.

I'm serious, especially if you're white. Bring antibiotics and medical supplies too.
>>
>>949463
Oh and get one of those blue glow-y fly zappers, you'll love it out there stay a distance from the natives unless you're getting food. You really need a friend (not wifey) I wouldn't reccommend bringing a woman with you btw.
>>
>>949463

Oh yeah, that's a whole thing I didn't think about,

Are there certain immunizations I should get?
>>
>>949501
There are travel clinics out there in the world -- talking to one of those would likely be a good idea, once you have some sense of your route.

http://www.istm.org/AF_CstmClinicDirectory.asp
>>
>>949506

Thank you
>>
>>949458
Good pick on the XR650. They're pigs, but tough pigs. I have a KTM 2 stroke at home I ride, but unfortunately that won't do over here. I plan on buying a used air cooled Honda in South Africa and riding it from there to Italy. I'm currently living in Mozambique, but I'm from NYS also, Elmira. Where are you from? >>949501
I had to get a laundry list of immunizations before coming here. Yellow fever is a must have, you'll need the yellow WHO card to get into many African nations. Also you'll want some sort of malaria prophylaxis, unless of course you want to take a gamble with malaria. I wouldn't.
>>
>>949473
Care to explain your point, you misogynistic pig.
>>
>>949538

I don't think he's trying to be misogynistic, I think he means that a woman would be more susceptible to sexual assault.

>>949536
I'm from Hilton, a little town west of Rochester. Thanks for the advice though, what brought you to Mozambique?
>>
>>949536

And i've always thought KTMs were cool, I've never rode one though. The XR seemed like the right choice, definitely look for an xr600 if your going for an air cooled bike

Dat Honda reliability
>>
>>949538
You're retarded.
>>
>>949538
The only thing women are allowed to do in africa is breed and they'll take it upon themselves to see to it that you do.

you misandrist pig.
>>
>>949428
>Also invest in a fully automatic AK
Pic the route well and you can buy it over there before you run into too bad places.

Africa is a big place, some parts are pretty safe, other parts are warzones. No general advice can cover much of the place.
>>
File: 1422835751913.jpg (183KB, 553x397px) Image search: [Google]
1422835751913.jpg
183KB, 553x397px
>>949538
Even if you are just pretending, you're an utter cunt.
>>
>>949428
>implying OP isn't better off choosing his targets in semiauto
>not suggesting FN FAL
it's like things change when I leave /k/
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (73KB, 470x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
73KB, 470x200px
>>949722
>implying select fire isn't better
Gotta remember, he's not a /k/ommando like we are. if they're up close with (which they will be because Africa) it's better to have the option to sweep and hit all 4 of the bastards.
>>
>>949722
I also now realize what I did
>fully automatic
>Autvomat Kalishnakov
I digress
Africa is a beautiful bathroom, it may be magnificent, but the people are god damn insane and no matter how much you enjoy it, it's still a shithole.
>>
>>949733 African Elimination /is/ the Holy Will of the Kube, after all.
>>
>>949738 shit i fucked up the trip, but the joke on H21A stands
>>
>>949733
Also an AK will spit out anything you feed it. pretty much.

I'd imagine decent ammo over there might be a challenge. Don't leave anything alone you don't intend to lose, this includes friends.
>>
>>949113
You might have to worry about getting shot up by local freedom fighters and islamic extremists.
Im not entirely sure about the legal proceedings when it comes to lead overdose though.
>>
>>949113
Get the Lonely Planet book:Africa. It has all the info you need on visas,insurance,safety of the countries,etc. Info changes so make sure you ask around.
>>
>>949740
>Also an AK will spit out anything you feed it.
implying an FN FAL will not
>>
>>949113
dude...

if I had smething like that I would be literally the happiest person on earth.
>>
>>949733

I don't frequent /k/, but I do enjoy my firearms.

I have a little Remington .22, mossberg 12 gauge and a Remington 7400 Carbine 30-06

Have never shot an fully automatic weapon though.
>>
>>949783

Thank you very much.
>>
OP, please don't try and carry an automatic rifle across borders in Africa. It will go badly for you.
>>
>>949985
>Remington 7400 Carbine 30-06
oof, short barrel .30-06. Do like me and thread that bastard for a can
>>
>>949113

1) I dont believe that is your bus

2) that thing would never make it across africa. Guys who know what they are doing with Range Rovers destroy their cars trying to get through a single country, you will not make it more than 30 miles out of major city in a fucking school bus
>>
>>949985
pro tipp: a dog is more fun than weapons
>>
>>950044

It's not my bus
>>
>>950064

I've got me one of those as well, hes a gboyyy
>>
>>950044

And are there no such thing as roads in africa?
>>
>>950077
Yes, but their quality is highly variable.

As in, you might be able to cruise on decent asphalt for quite a while but at some point you're going to wreck your vehicle because the road isn't really a road anymore, but a large collection of potholes.
>>
>>950088

So how does anyone drive?
>>
>>950094
With regular repairs - the intervals of which depend on luck, skill, the state of the vehicle and how carefully one drives.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.