[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go travelling indefinitely after my job contract ends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: beach.jpg (41KB, 550x352px) Image search: [Google]
beach.jpg
41KB, 550x352px
Should I go travelling indefinitely after my job contract ends?

24 yo
£22,000 savings (came from saving like a motherfucker and also getting grants at uni which far exceeded my living costs)
Already have a degree
Would have a decent chance of getting onto a funded teacher training course once I ran out of money
Some TEFL and a lot of youth work experience

I am crippled by feelings of intense anxiety and feeling trapped by bureaucracy and the pressures of working & renting. Most recently I've been troubled by the thought I am going to die young and that I need to make the most of the time I have. I have had very bad experiences seeking psychiatric help in Britain so I don't want to revisit that. I am currently on a 9 month contract which finishes in May.

Just over three years I did something similar and travelled for 3 months which really helped me calm down and got me out of a bad mental place.

As I said I got all the money from being a povvo at a posh uni and getting grants so I know how to live on barely anything and make money stretch.

Should I just do it? Or am I crazy to throw away all the money I've got?
>>
>>1298690
>I've been troubled by the thought I am going to die young and that I need to make the most of the time I have.

I have the same dealio dude.

Spend time doing the things you love while you can, don't spend the time you have doing things you don't love.

Not everyone is in the same situation as you, you have money and time up your sleeve, go for it.

Students - Lots of energy, lots of time but no money.
Middle aged - Lots of energy, no time but lots of money.
Retirees - Little energy, but lots of time and lots of money.
>>
>>1298690
I am in a similar place. Planning to visit New Zealand, maybe work there for a bit, while i apply for jobs in Singapore in my field. Maybe visit Hong Kong, Thailand and/or Vietnam before travelling back home.

Where did you go those 3 years ago?
>>
>>1298719

I went round the Balkans and to southern Italy. Spent a while sofa surfing back in the UK. I had tried to kms and needed to do something to lift all the mental fog.
>>
File: 1408543297950.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>1298690
Fucking povvos getting grants they don't need, meanwhile I leave uni with no savings at all. How much money do you think my parents actually gave me? They made up the difference that povvos get in maintenance and that's it. I had a flatmate who never shut up about how poor he was but bought a TV and a PS3, as well as spending a lot on other stuff, and I basically had enough to get by on, occasionally having a night out or buying a little bag of weed.

You're fucking poor. Stay poor until your plebby little genes figure out a way to actually drag themselves out of the shitheap they originated from. Fucking hell. Just go ahead and throw away all the money you have, what's the difference between that and wasting it all at ladbrokes? Why not throw away all the money that taxpayers gave you on frivolous shit? that's what people on the dole do.
>>
>>1298786

lol

I have worked since I was 13, not all the money came from grants. I always lived a frugal lifestyle with few luxuries and that's how I saved so much.

If you can't handle your envy (and if you knew what the first 18 years of my life were like you wouldn't envy it), and aren't satisfied with the handouts you got from the bank of mum & dad you could always take your own advice and get a job and save up.

I don't consider travel frivolous and I always combined it with seasonal working, but ymmv.

chill out
>>
>>1298790
>As I said I got all the money from being a povvo at a posh uni and getting grants
>I have worked since I was 13, not all the money came from grants
Pick one
>>
>>1298798

lel do you seriously expect me to post a detailed overview of my work history and financial situation on 4chan? it's easier to generalize to give an overall picture, even if it causes consternation for autists like >>1298786
>>
File: 1499402073739.png (832KB, 925x842px) Image search: [Google]
1499402073739.png
832KB, 925x842px
>>1298790
Sir, I recommend you go wherever your heart craves, enjoy your time and travel long and far on what you have.

>>1298786
Sir, I recommend you go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1298690
>I am crippled by feelings of intense anxiety and feeling trapped by bureaucracy and the pressures of working & renting. Most recently I've been troubled by the thought I am going to die young and that I need to make the most of the time I have.

Why not analyse it further? For example why would you bothered by dying young and not experiencing things?

It's most likely because you want to pursue pleasure. However, this pleasure never lasts and really causes you more suffering overall when you can't get it. The pursual of pleasure inevitably leads to anxiety and suffering.

Also, even if pleasure was your state of mind 24/7, it would inevitably end with your death. It's finite and so is the flip-side: suffering.

Alot of my anxiety is caused by thinking whatever real or imaginary suffering that will befall me be infinite, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

I've dealt with intense anxiety before as well, and it is very unsatisfactory but it wanes once you realise it's impermanence.
>>
>>1298690
22,000? wow you're loaded! Set sail! The world is your oyster!

Aside: why are brits the biggest morons on the planet senpai?
>>
>>1298824
Hey man nice advice. Not OP. Do you still have anxiety? If not, how did you deal with it? I HAVE TO KNOW
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.