[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 36

File: 1504814132797.jpg (583KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1504814132797.jpg
583KB, 1000x667px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1295579
>>
So I remember before hearing about small towns, inaka, giving away homes to people willing to live there.

They wouldn't sponsor a foreigner to do that, would they?
>>
>>1298298
Probably not, unless you have a residency visa
>>
File: 1494965041314.jpg (454KB, 1201x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494965041314.jpg
454KB, 1201x900px
>>1298299
I don't.
>>
File: 1504433251608.png (158KB, 651x182px) Image search: [Google]
1504433251608.png
158KB, 651x182px
Anyone been here?
>>
airbnb bro you down to hang tonight as well?
>>
>>1298310
I'll hang out. Just come to Sapporo.
>>
File: 1504863825410.jpg (30KB, 270x373px) Image search: [Google]
1504863825410.jpg
30KB, 270x373px
>>1298310
Brah come to shimokitazawa right now, i found a legit as fuck shisha/hookah place. We can also hit up shinjuku/shibuya afterwards
>>
>>1298317
Wew that's a 50min train ride from here bruh
>>
File: 1504864856413.jpg (17KB, 270x262px) Image search: [Google]
1504864856413.jpg
17KB, 270x262px
>>1298318
Literally 8 mins m8, just get yo ass here
>>
>>1298319
I'm at my hostel in nishi-arai right now lol
>>
>>1298321
Well shinjuku shibuya etc. is also 50 mins from your place brah, just dooo eet. Less talk more train riding.
>>
Any of you titties over in Nagoya??
>>
>>1298322
Alright I'm ready to go now. Do we meet at shimokitazawa or do we head straight to shinjuku/shibuya?
>>
>>1298325
Come to the shisha place m8 I'm waiting there, it's a bit hidden but if you ask around people will show ya.
>>
>>1298327
Alright I'll be there in about an hour
>>
>>1298329
Alright, you gotta go down some stairs. It's really close to an illuminated shimokitazawa gate.
>>
Which are the best websites to check the weather forecast (the most accurate ones)?

I want to know the weather before deciding where to go.
>>
>>1298367
google
>>
>>1298369
Come on man.
>>
>>1298370
Seriously, *weather Toyko* is more than enough and accurate.

There is no reason to ask for more.
>>
Why don't you two add each other on line or something? There had to be a better form of communication than this
>>
>>1298371
I already did that and some results are quite different, that's why I was hoping for some kind of "Japanese meteo service" and people experiences. I don't want to go to Fujiyoshida and not be able to see the Fuji because it's cloudy.

Anyway, thanks man.
>>
>>1298382
The best you can hope for is Japan's weather agency but that's gonna be in Japanese so just google it. Look at 2 or 3 websites see which ones track the best then stick to it
>>
>>1298380
I like seeing anons try to meet up
>>
>>1298388
>>1298380
I think it's nice to see when one anon lures another anon down into a basement in a foreign country. It's a good reminder what kind of people we're dealing with (on both ends.)
>>
File: CN91[1].jpg (211KB, 805x537px) Image search: [Google]
CN91[1].jpg
211KB, 805x537px
Bringing my brother to Japan for two weeks, it's his first time here. Second time for me.

Landing in Tokyo on November 12, planning to stay there 2-3 days then hoping to Kyoto for like 5 days (though I fear we'll be a bit too early for that delicious peak autumn colors, maybe we should go to Kyoto a few days later).

Where should I go next? Already did Hiroshima and Itsukushima shrine, not sure I'd go that far south again, but I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>1298403
Get drunk in Osaka
>>
How do you join the yakuza if you are a woman?
>>
>>1298403

Go to Nara. I went there for the first time a few days ago and it was an incredible experience.
>>
What's the deal with all the shrine hunting?

After seeing the first three shrines I'm so bored from that stuff.
>>
>>1298447
As for me, it's not the shrines themselves that are interesting, but the surroundings and the way to get to them. Those remote shrines on a hiking path are the best. Plus, they're less touristy.

Or those shrines up a little mountain with hundreds of steps like in my Chinese cartoons and their great view through the town
>>
Always thought the Tsukiji Fish Market is some meme thing.

But the food there is great.
>>
>>1298400
Hey buddy, I think you got the wrong board.
The leather club is on /fit/
>>
>>1298447
I'll tell you, for me, Shrine going ended up being more about whats in between shrines than the actual shrines themselves. I saw so much by simply walking shrine to shrine in Kyoto, that I would not have seen by taking the train or bus to only 'special' known shrines.
>>
>>1298291
My friend has been to japan a few times and he says the racism and stuff was pretty annoying after I said that I'm ok with japs wanting little to do with foreigners. He said when I visit there I'll end up complaining.

Is it really that bad? My friend is quite the otaku so I suspect that he had an idea of japan that doesn't correspond with reality, and also that he may not have been aware of how he was expected to behave.

Does one really get bothered much for being a foreigner, or does it boil down more to how you behave/dress/talk? Is there something I can do to prevent being treated badly and prove my friend wrong?
>>
>>1298490
He's probably just very thin skinned. I think a lot of people aren't just accostumed to being a minority+high expectations of the country due to cartoons. The worst thing that can happen to you is stumbling to some "jap only" bar or having some yakuza/black guy try to invite you to his shady strip club. Just don't be a shithead and everything will be alright.
Knowing a little of the language will definitly help to be treated more nicely at some places where they may not be accostumed to foreigners tho.
>>
>>1298490
I literally never once experienced racism on my trip there - and I'm not even white.
>>
>>1298490
Is he black? then it's a problem

Otherwise he is just a pussy bitch, seriously some people WILL not want to talk with you. Usually they will just only speak japanese and not even attempt to try any form of english. I spent a little over a month there and probably only experienced that MAYBE once at an internet cafe that was running a 3 day for 6000 yen special I bounced on, and they knew I what I was doing and probably didn't like it too much.
>>
>>1298490
Do you know what context he is talking about? Is it that he was working or attending school? He felt he was being treated differently than other students?

I haven't been here long, but from my perspective it would be hard to tell how differently I'm treated. When I'm out on the street, walking around, going into stores, maybe people are being more or less friendly to me because of my race, but how would I know? I've had elderly people smile and greet me on the street in small towns, but I've also had them ignore me. Do they do that to everyone, just me? People are different so not everyone is going to treat me the same. I don't have the time to follow them around and observe to see if it was just me.

I've been treated nicely walking into a convenience store to buy a bottle of water and rice ball. I've been treated nicely while asking to look at a $100,000 watches. Was I treated differently based on race? Were they more resistant to showing me an expensive watch I won't buy because I'm not Japanese? Or less resistant? I have no idea, and I don't care. If they're ultimately not willing to manifest any racism they have as violence then it's just something I'll have to accept, if I can even perceive it in the first place.
>>
>>1298497
Black people usually like the picture thing. More like white weebs that can't handle being an outsider
>>
Is high rent in Tokyo a meme? From looking up stuff like realestate.jp it doesn't seem nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. That said, they don't list if the rent is monthly or weekly on that site (but other sites still have pretty reasonable prices)

Tokyo as a whole seems like the kind of place where it's low rent for a low quality of living and high rent for higher, as opposed to say London or New York, where you pay an exorbitant rate for a tiny barely liveable apartment (which seems like it'd cost a fraction of the price in Tokyo)

Again, not a pro, just from what i've seen online
>>
Man... I'm looking at Hyperdia for some tips on how I'm going to make it to the hostel from the airport and holy shit. Need to transfer 3 fucking times.
>>
>>1298551
Are you narita anon? Are you taking keisei skyliner/narita express to a terminal hub and switching there?
>>
>>1298317
>>1298318
>>1298319
>>1298321
>>1298322
>>1298325
>>1298327
>>1298329
>>1298330

Would you retards get Line, add each other, and fuck off out of this thread forever?
>>
>>1298552
Haneda. I need to go to Shinjuku-Sanchome.
>>
>>1298544
>usually like the picture thing
Did someone mention pictures? Or is this a black thing?
>>
In the last thread an anon was asking for STD tests. Hope you and your ass are OK Anon-kun!

I'm going on october for the first time and I'm very hyped. When I'm there I hope I can meet some people and bar hop Tokyo.

Also Sapporo
>>
File: scott_120206_snowfestival_01.jpg (82KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
scott_120206_snowfestival_01.jpg
82KB, 550x367px
What are some decent hostels in Sapporo?
>>
>>1298567

Got the tests yesterday. Gotta wait 4 days for the results.

Serves me right for putting my dick in crazy without a condom. But shit, it could be a real hard lesson to learn.

But thanks man!
>>
>>1298490
Welcome to a homogeneous (normal) society. No darkies allowed.
>>
>>1298490
>does it boil down more to how you behave/dress/talk?

Pretty much, for the people who are even curious about you. I can blend in besides my hair and coloring, but most people ignore me. They're busy living their lives. Sometimes people ask me for help and I'm so confused how they know I understand them, but I do my best to help them out. Sometimes people are just really curious about me. I had some salarymen gossiping about how I stood up to exit the train on the correct side after I heard the Japanese train announcement. Then they kind of had that panicked expression that I had heard their previous gossip about me too.

All in all, it really depends on the person and how you act. If you can follow the basic social norms you'll cut down on most potential issues. But there's still going to be some people obsessed with foreigners and every basic thing they do. Is it racist or obsessive? Yeah kind of, but it's usually not violent.
>>
>>1298291
I could pontially get a civilian contractor job with the U.S. navy in japan. I know that i should stay the fuck away from Okinawa but will regular japs hate me if I'm at a base on the mainland?
>>
>>1298553
"no"
>>
>>1298447
It's indeed boring. Outside of the few really outstanding shrines shrine hunting is like the most boring shit you can do in Japan.
>>
>>1298403
I'm landing on the same day with the same concerns in mind. See you there, anon!
>>
>>1298578
Most people will not care but you may come across some people that are anti-US occupation, it's just part and parcel. I don't think anybody would actually say or do anything to you.
>>
>>1298548
No, housing being pricey in Japan is a meme. It's far far worse in LA, NYC and so on. And when you factor in the salaries, London is even worse, same for Paris.
>>
Tokyo has a well-maintained public transportation system so people can move to a wider area
>>
>>1298630
Not if you look at the m2 price.

People just accept to live in small flats.
>>
What's the best way to celebrate New Year in Tokyo?
Last time I went to the Meiji Shrine and later went to Shibuya.
>>
>>1298575
Oops, I meant I can't blend in. I'm white and blonde, not tan and black-haired.
>>
>>1298466

It's very crowded, but I had a great time wandering around sampling all the dope food.
>>
Go to Nara folks, it was simply incredible hanging out with all the deer (even the asshole ones).

Pic related, little asshole ruined my shot.
>>
Does anybody here know a cheap and decent place to stay in Tokyo? I'm going with a group of my friends during December and we're looking for a place that is public transportation friendly
>>
>>1298663
Yeah, I'm gonna travel to Nara for some deers.

Busy enough already with Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe and Hiroshima
>>
>>1298664
Entire Tokyo is.
>>
>>1298664
Just check out airBnB and booking

Maybe go for different hotels if it a large group.
>>
I'm in Nagoya lads, anyone want to meet up for a pint?
>>
>>1298684
Meat here.
>>
Anyone want to meet up in Osaka tonight?
>>
Anybody did the Shimanami Kaido?

Looks like a good way to discover the Seto sea and islands.

Not sure how easy it would be to fit it in an itinerary, especially in November since the weather might be a tad whimsical.
>>
Walking around shibuya tonight has been exhausting

Way too many pretty girls and people on dates and cool malls and architecture and shit. I'm demotivated somehow,can't even muster any confidence to go to any nightlife tonight
>>
>>1298685
You what?
>>
Going to Japan later half of November. Any places or towns to go to get a good view of Mt. Fuji or will it be cloudy regardless?
>>
File: wewface.png (937KB, 730x709px) Image search: [Google]
wewface.png
937KB, 730x709px
How do i get a qt jap girl to sleep with?
Is it true that on a part of tokyo the girls are craving foreign dick and there's like nightclubs and love hotels everywhere?
is that still a thing or not
>>
>>1298839
use tinder and be a normal human being. being white give you a slight advantage on matches already.
>>
>>1298698
Nightlife is for faggots. Why travel around the world for the most similar thing. Expensive.

Go see a cultural site. Strike up a conversation with an old man. It will be good for you.
>>
>>1298698
more for me then, womb sluts were good last night
>>
File: IMG_1749.jpg (1MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1749.jpg
1MB, 4000x3000px
>>1298774
You'll see it from any viewing point in Tokyo if it's a clear winter day. Hell, this picture is from last november, I could see it after takeoff from Kansai International halfway cross Honshu
>>
>>1298839
They already give you 3 girls to chose from once you arrive at the airport just for being white.
>>
If I want to see some local live bands in Tokyo, where should I look?
>>
Hello there friends

Looking at doing about 20 days over November and December, Tokyo / Kyoto / Hiroshima / Beppu / Fukuoka / Osaka / Tokyo / home.

Will be doing a day trip to Fuji from Tokyo, and a day trip to Himeji castle from Kyoto. Any other major things I'm missing in that regard?

Question is - is there an easy way to get to Okunoshima (the island with rabbits) from Hiroshima that doesn't take several hours? Only option I've found is a 3 hour one way trip, then 3 hours back, not sure if that's really worth it.

Also, best things to do in Hiroshima and Miyajima? What will the weather be like over late November and early December in terms of hiking and the like?

Will also take any food or places to visit recommendations regarding the above cities.

Lastly, if anyone has good onsen recommendations for Beppu in particular, please share.
>>
File: 1499309280944.jpg (142KB, 875x514px) Image search: [Google]
1499309280944.jpg
142KB, 875x514px
>>1298291
>Be my cousin
>He's a mestizo, so we didn't expect women to grovel for him
>He arrives and everyone believes he can dance Salsa
>The madman does it
>Gets 15 numbers in one night after dancing with each one individually
Japanese girls want anything that isn't black or japanese
>>
>>1298879
Yeah but I'm an American born Filipino so I'm pretty sure I'm fucked.
>>
File: Retarded Pepes.png (76KB, 1218x561px) Image search: [Google]
Retarded Pepes.png
76KB, 1218x561px
>>1298885
It's okay anon, we still love you.
>>
>>1298887
It's not enough...
>>
>>1298879
Shit, I should learn to salsa.
>>
>>1298630
>>1298634

Why is it always being put as one of the most expensive cities for rent in the world then?
>>
>>1298936
Space-to-price ratio, I assume.
>>
J bro come to the same place in shimokitazawa at 19:00 today, I'll be waiting inside.
>>
Skytree worth a visit?
>>
>>1298490
I like this discussion on racism in Japan.

I'd like to posit a quick question: these people who complain about being treated poorly in Japan, are they dressing like a business man with a suit and tie and nice hair, or are they dressing like a crazy SJW with Skrillex hair and piercings and tattoos and shit?

Because people with tattoos, neon blue hair, and grizzly adam beards do get discriminated against, and I think they're justly discriminated against. Stop dressing like a god damn clown.
>>
>>1298964
No.

It costs $20 to go to the observation deck halfway up, and it costs an extra $10 to go to the very top. The view is pretty much the same from both observation decks. You're already much higher than every building in Asakusa at the halfway point. There are less screaming kids at the top floor, though. I know the basement of Skytree is like a mall, but I haven't been there.

If you want a good view of Tokyo go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building at night and bring a camera.
>>
>>1298977
Nobody is taking a suit on a holiday you fucking clown
>>
>>1298490
Lived in Tokyo for a year, was never bothered by anyone, not a single time.

I know Japanese, so I can get by by myself with no problems, and didn't act like an American/Western European fuckwit with a superiority complex, so that might have been the main reason why noone bothered me.
>>
>>1298998
I agree. I'm currently in Hokkaido since two weeks and never has anyone bothered me for no reason.
>>
>>1299001
Long-term? How are you liking it?
>>
>>1298962
sorry man, totally forgot to read thread today. I just arrrived at the hostel and I'm tired as hell I don't think I'll make it there tonight. We could hang tomorrow day-time before I head out for Narita in the evening.
>>
>>1299003
No prob bruv, sounds good
>>
>>1298490
Been twice, the only time I had anything that could remotely be construed as racism was some middle school kids passing me on a mountain hike. They said hello in Japanese, I said it back in Japanese, and then some of them started suggesting the gaijin (me) was just parrotting what they said. It was mildly annoying, but not a big deal.

Everyone else, including the rest of the people I passed on the hike, were as polite as could be.
>>
>>1298885
How flip are you? I'm flip but a bit Caucasian in me, my interaction ranged from "Are you from {other SEA country}?" to "You a half?" and the latter means receptive. But knowing some Japanese goes way more from experience.
>>
>>1298998
People not wanting to bother with you is the biggest complaint I see, that they're not confrontational, so they'll show that they hate you by avoiding you.

Then again, they might just be shy, not used to approach strangers, and afraid that you only speak English, which looks indistinguishable from racism to SJWs who view all social dynamics in terms of race.
>>
Fucking hell, lads. I met up with a Japanese chick at Shinjuku over Tinder expecting a standard date and possibly scoring lucky in the end but she just wants me to teach her English and isn't interested in a hookup at all. The worst part is we'd already bought tickets for the event we're seeing so I can't just bail.

She's cucked me out of half a day's sightseeing here.
>>
>>1299035
lol you nigger, you should have just gone to a soapland
>>
>>1299035
lel
Sorry dude but I kinda find this funny
>>
Hey guys, I'm planning a 11 day trip to Japan and Korea and I figured I'd come here for some tips.

I thought 3 days for Korea, basically Seoul than 8 days for Japan would be ideal, what do you think.

Also I thought I'd get a place in Tokyo from airbnb then travel to other cities from there daily since the transportation is awesome. I read that you can buy a card or something for unlimited travels for a month. Would that be wise or should I stay in the other cities too.

sorry for coming off like a noob but I also have another question, which one of the airports in Tokyo should I get a ticket to?

thanks
>>
What should I visit/do to get away from temple fatigue? Also, I'm not a let's-get-drunk degenerate, so that's out of the question.
>>
>>1299035
Do you speak Japanese? This is a fairly standard bitch move, especially if you're bringing in zero language ability
>>
>>1298982
Thanks for your opinion.

But, yeah, that is quite sucky. I thought it would be worth a visit if I'm in Asakusa anyway.

Do you have any ideas what would be worth a visit around Asakusa?
>>
>>1299035
I have a similiar story to tell.

>German
>tinder
>japanese girl wants to date me
>chuuni girl
>the main reason she wanted to date me was to get a bunch of German words and expression to use
>>
>>1299076
I refuse to believe this shit, this sounds stupid af.
>>
>>1299077
That is the most common case.
>>
>>1299077
She sure didn't ask for casual/daily German stuff.
>>
>>1299035
If my JAVs are to be trusted then this is just part of the setup.
>>
>>1299035
>not wanting to play rl Summer Lesson.
>>
>>1299035
Maybe the girl doesn't want to seem slutty and offer herself right there.
Ask if she wants to go to your apartment to study or her room.
I watch enough hentai to know what she really wants
>>
>>1299039
If by other cities you mean Osaka or Kyoto, then no, you cannot use Tokyo as a hotel base for day trips.

Haneda airport is much closer.
>>
Anyone work on a military base in Japan as a civilian? I just got an awesome job but have no idea what the fuck to do about housing, can I get on base? Do civilians use army/navy hospitals or what? Also buying used cars from service members, has anyone done that, what are the quality of the cars? Beat to shit?
>>
>>1299138
I might add I just accepted the offer I am just submitting paperwork for PCS and individual logistical support
>>
>>1299139
Might have better results on /k/ in the /MEG/ thread
>>
>>1299130
>Haneda airport is much closer

Depends desu. Unless you're staying in the Hamamatsucho-Shinagawa area, the time differemce from Narita vs Haneda isn't much. Also the N'ex is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1299211
Yeah, it doesn't really matter. It's more important which airline has the better deal. If two airlines are on par then I would go for Haneda but it doesn't make a big difference at the end of the day.
>>
N'EX takes 90min from Narita to Shinjuku vs 50min from Haneda. It's not really a deal breaker, Haneda would be a little cheaper but less comfy.

For Ueno the Skyliner from Narita is so fast as the connection from Haneda.
>>
>>1299068
Nah, I only know basic phrases and shit. Nowhere near enough to hold a proper conversation.
>>1299102
>>1299110
I dunno, it seemed pretty clear cut that she wasn't interested. We went for coffee when we met and she seemed absolutely perplexed that I wanted to hold her hand as we walked to where we were going afterwards. When the night was getting late, I asked her if she wanted to go to karaoke since if my Chinese cartoons are to believed that's where all the magic happens, but she just said she was tired and needed to head home (It was only 10PM). She lives with her family so me going back to her place wasn't an option and my place is a cheap hostel which will kick me out if I bring a girl back to bang. I feel blueballed as fuck.
>>
I like Narita for the fact that can also see quite a lot from some rural areas. Always quite lovely to watch from train, especially if you only stay in Tokyo.
>>
>>1299228
Love hotels bro. Besides, why the fuck would you hold hands with someone that you know for about 10 minutes?.

Anyway, is she open to hang out again?.
>>
>>1298860
Anyone got an answer?
>>
>>1298291
So how hard is working for a fluent english/spanish speaker with a really basic grasp of japanese?
>>
>>1299241
I know that hand holding might as well be a lewd act by Japanese standards, but for a tinder date I would always open with holding hands, sets a tone you know? Anyway, I'm off to Kyoto for 4 days now, returning back to Tokyo for another 4 afterwards. I told her that if she wanted to hang out just drop me a message and we can meet up to which she responded with "Yeah! Enjoy the rest of your stay in Japan" which sounds half like she's saying "sure let's meet again" and half "Sure, thanks for the offer but enjoy the rest of Japan because I won't see you again". I dunno, I'm getting mixed signals. She didn't show any signs of affection either which makes asking her back to a love hotel seem way too forward.
>>
>>1299251
What are your skills?
>>
>>1299253
I've hail mary'd dates exactly like that by suggesting love hotel at the end and it's actually worked. I think it's because they realize " meh might as well sleep with a foreigner cuz he's leaving anyway", obviously depends if you're attractive enough tho
>>
>>1299255
Fair point, I'll keep in touch with her and see if I can meet with her for drinks on one of the nights I'm back in Tokyo. If she's not down for it, whatever, at least I can say I tried.
>>
>>1298551
It's not that bad, anon. Japanese trains are extraordinarily well-labeled, transferring is a breeze.
>>
>>1299253

You'll never hear from her again. Ive done this enough times. Either she never wanted anything in the first place, or she found you disappointing.

Also lmao at ur life for trying to hold hands right away.
>>
File: IWTKMS.png (39KB, 878x473px) Image search: [Google]
IWTKMS.png
39KB, 878x473px
>>1299260
Yeah, but I don't speak japanese and I don't know on what station I need to transfer.
>>
>>1299263
Makes me wonder if you really needs to take the last train on that list.
Like taking the monorail till Hamamatsuchō and then using the Oedo line until the Shinjuku train station and the rest you should be able to walk.

Also google maps is way better for non Shinkansen stuff.
>>
File: hokkaido.gif (95KB, 650x458px) Image search: [Google]
hokkaido.gif
95KB, 650x458px
Do any of you take the trains around Hokkaido? I was asking the information desk if the non-reserved cars fill up and what happens if they do, but I don't think they understood me.
>>
>>1299263
Just use the bus transfer to Shinjuku if you think you can't handle three (should be two) different trains.

Though not sure how you want to handle your stay in Japan.
>>
>>1299266
I haven't, but I'd like to hear whatever you have to say about it. I get in to Sapporo for my study abroad soon. Want to explore the island as/when I can.
>>
>>1299268
I don't mind taking trains but it will my first time there and will arrive fairly late. 19:00
>>
File: rj.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rj.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
>>1299076
You could have had your own Rikka
>>
>>1299282
Well, it's not hard to use the trains in Tokyo, so I wouldn't panic about it. Everything is also written in English.

Just take the monorail till Hamamatsuchō and then take the Oedo line until Shinjuku and the little walk shouldn't be a problem with google maps.

So you would only need to change the train just a single time.
>>
>>1299287
Thanks anon.
>>
>>1299228
>tryna hold hands like you're her boyfriend or something 15 minutes after first meeting

Originally I was on your side, but now I realize she was just justifiably creeped out by you and wanted to gtfo as fast as possible.
>>
>>1299263
Hyperdia usually gives you several different travel plans. Do they ALL require you to transfer three times?
>>
>>1299296
The one with less transfers is 2.
>>
I have been planning to take a trip to east asia mainly staying in japan but I figured since I have went that far I might as well go visit hong kong too. I plan to stay a little over 2 weeks in japan and a week or so in hong kong. Anyway my question is how "smoothly" can you go through the airports in japan. Also do you have to write out some form before you land in japan?
>>
>>1299300
Yes, they will give you a paper that you need to write in the plane or before hitting immigration at the airport.
>>
>>1299276
Alright well I may be attempting to get a non reserved seat in a couple hours so we'll see how that goes. I'll let you know.
>>
>>1299319
Cool. Take some cozy Hokkaido-by-train photos for me.
>>
File: IMG_20170911_102741.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170911_102741.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>1299321
Pictures on board a moving train? On my way on Reserved seat I didn't sit by the window though.
>>
>>1299254
Able to learn quickly, kinda good memory, won't give up no matter how hard it is.
so when would I be able to hold basic conversations with people, give info, etc
>>
>>1299322
>All this green shit

I've been in the desert too long. This Hokkaido shit is gonna be a trip with all that vegetation.
>>
>>1298878
I did 21 days Tokyo > Hakone > Osaka/ Kyoto/ Nara/ Hiroshima and time was super tight, so it really depends if you are fine with having to budget your time accordingly.
>>
File: IMG_20170911_130725.jpg (5MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170911_130725.jpg
5MB, 4048x3036px
>>1299335
Green is good.
>>
File: IMG_20170909_112841.jpg (7MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170909_112841.jpg
7MB, 3036x4048px
>>1299339
This one is in Sapporo. I walked 100km in Sapporo in 4 days. So I have many pictures.
>>
>>1299005
Alright I just left my stuff at my narita hotel and an now on my way to Tokyo again. I'll arrive at 16:44 if you wanna meet up. I probably wanna go to akiba to buy some last figures and buy a backpack or something at donki but we could do something else too.
>>
>>1299348
I'm down with anything m8, how long do you have until you need to leave? Was thinking of seeing a short kabuki performance close to ginza, but if you wanna do sth else just tell me where to head.
>>
>>1299354
I can stay in Tokyo until around 22 I think. When is the kabuki performance?
>>
>>1299356
No clue, but you can get tickets for a single curtain 30mins-1hr so I guess it's all day. Higashi-ginza would be the station if you w a nna go
>>
>>1299357
We could do that later but I need to get a backpack so I can bring home muh figures. We can meet in akihabara so I can get that done? after that I'm up for anything
>>
>>1299358
Sure, should I head to akiba now? Meet in front of radio kaikan?
>>
>>1299359
I arrive at tokyo station 16:44 then Ill head straight for akihabara. Radio kaikan sounds good.
>>
Thanks for ruining the general guys.
>>
>>1299358
>>1299359
Add each other you fags.
>>
>>1299365
Today's literally the last day m8, stop getting your panties in a twist.
>>
>>1299367
Im at radio kaikan man
>>
>>1299367

We know you just want attention. We don't care.
>>
>>1299300
I've only done it once, but flying from Japan to Hong Kong was easy in my opinion, but from Hong Kong to Japan kind of sucked and took more time to go through security than I would have liked.
>>
So if I was to go to Japan for like a week, would I be more likely to get lucky at a nightclub or just using tinder? I ask cause nightclubs can get expensive and if most white guys can't pull a woman there, then I'd probably just go to bars to drink instead.
>>
>>1299381
When you are in Japan for only 1 week won't you be too busy seeing new things to get crabs from a dirty slut in a love hotel?
>>
>>1299383
What else would I do at night besides raw dog randoms?
>>
>>1299381
Both
>>
>>1299384
You could sleep. You could be in a night bus to somewhere. You could go see the night skyline from a unique place. You can go catch a late movie. You could plan your next day. You could see Cormorant fishing. Or an evening Kabuki show. I'm sure you can come up with many more if you think.
>>
>>1299387
Or I could do those things then go get balls deep in Yuki or Riho.
>>
>>1299389
Sounds like more fun

Interacting with people is like half of the fun
>>
>>1299391
So outside of sluts are you not going to interact with people?
>>
>>1299392
Naw I'm gonna hang with my German bro who's a teacher there. I just feel like the easiest way to get to know people from an area is by hooking up with them or talking to them via tinder.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (8KB, 219x200px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
8KB, 219x200px
>>1299393
>I just feel like the easiest way to get to know people from an area is by hooking up with them or talking to them via tinder.
You might be a degenerate if...
>>
>>1299324
Get a degree in your home country
>>
Ayyyyy boys I'm STD free!
Last time I fuck a nip without a rubber tho, that was a scary one.
>>
>>1299404
Just as a reminder, if you get an STD test shortly after a sexual encounter many STD will not have incubated and you can show in the clear even if you have caught them. For stuff like syphilis and genital herpes it's 6 weeks. HIV is the longest at 90 days. So generally 90 days after your sexual activity is best to get tested, or re-tested if you did it early.
>>
>>1299406

Its been a month now, and I was mainly worried coz I had a few symptoms, mainly extreme fatigue the last few days. Will get tested again in a month for sure.

Still, so goddamn happy right now.
>>
Never put your dick in crazy
>>
>>1299410

Yeah well its hard to tell when their English is shit and I'm drunk. Although the whole trying to push me down a flight of stairs outside an izakaya thing should have given it away.

But lesson learned.
>>
>>1299412
She sounds like a winner. I'd like to be friends with her, but seriously, do take better care of yourself, drunk or not. How much was it to get tested? What did you get tested for exactly?
>>
>>1299251
How about you start by looking up visa requirements, realizing you have no chance and start taking steps to fix it?

Provided you're from an English-speaking country, the easiest way for you is to get a degree and apply for JET. Teaching English is generally a dead end job in Japan, but if you try really hard, you might be able to move to university teaching afterwards. You don't even to know Japanese for this.

Alternatively try computer science. In that case getting an N1 would be a great help.

If you fancy yourself a researcher, you can also try for a research student scholatship. But depending where you live in, those can be competitive as fuck.
>>
>>1299397
he can also get a degree in japan, maybe as an exchange student at least.
>>
>>1299460
He would need to have at least JLPT N2, ideally N1. And he would need to pay for it, unless he gets an undergraduate scholarship, which might also be competitive as fuck.

There are also English programmes in Japan, but honestly it's stupid to go for that. Undergrad back home and Master's in Japan will look better both home and in Japan.
>>
Godspeed swedebro
>>
Why do there always have to be prostitution links in the OP? These threads are already weird and pathetic enough without it.
>>
>>1299488
This. The degeneracy here is off the charts.
>>
Is 5 days for Tokyo enough on an 8 day trip? Planning the other three as Kyoto+Osaka
>>
>>1298839
If you can't get laid in your own country, don't expect to get laid somewhere else
>>
>>1299488
In the hopes that people will read the available resources instead of asking ITT.
>>
Anyone know any good place for second hand clothes shopping? Going to be in the Tokyo and Osaka area, I'm mainly looking for used Japanese brands stuff. Are there stores specifically for that?
>>
>>1299549
Shimokitazawa has lots of thrift stores for vintage clothes.
>>
Since we are all degenerates here I have a question that has been on my mind, where can I pay a Japanese girl to pee on me and how much will it cost? Can I get normal heath delivery or soapland girls to do this or do I need to find some kind of specialty service?

This has always been a dream of mine. I would say it counts as a life goal.
>>
>>1299555
What are you doing in japan, Mr. Trump?
>>
>>1299563
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1299555
>Can I get normal heath delivery or soapland girls

Look up what options they offer. The one you want is 発尿 or 聖水.
>>
>>1299346
Reminds me of the San Francisco bay area, at least for now. Once the snow starts falling, different story.

Thanks for some cozy photos. I had dinner with friends last night and I had an intense but brief anxiety episode. Coziness helps take the edge off.
>>
File: IMG_20170907_120840.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170907_120840.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>1299581
I lived in the bay for two years. Personally they don't remind me of eachother.
>>
>>1299346
Nice trek bro. Is that a designed path or you just wandered?
>>
Hello, any recommendation for pocket wifi or should I just use first result in google ?
>>
Will living in a Japanese city and eating Japanese food make me healthier than living in the American suburbs?

Obviously you get to walk more in the city but is the average food that much healthier (assuming, of course, you don't go out of your way to eat fried chicken/hamburgers and steaks).
>>
>>1299670
Rice has a lot of carbs.
>>
>>1299670
Most japanese food isn't too high in a lot of vitamins and minerals. It's usually high in fat and carbs, doesn't help that the portion sizes are much smaller. Went there for a month, ended up needing to get vitamins to take just to not feel as bad.

>>1299668
anything with b mobile is usually fine, jr rail pass sells a pocket wifi for cheap
>>
>>1299671
>>1299673
Whats the secret to Japan's long lifespan then?
>>
>>1299675
Nuclear mutation.
>>
>>1299675
they don't have their average lifespan rate fucked up by as many variables that US citizens do
>>
>>1299642
Well, all cloudy green things seem alike to me, again because semi-arid/arid/desert climes. I'm sure once I get there I'll be hip to the nuances.
>>
>>1299677
But Japan has the longest lifespan out of all countries, not just the US.
>>
>>1299671
Carbs aren't bad.
>>
>>1299679
Not really, they are in the top 10, but not the longest. Not to mention that is only within 1 year of any other country. Not having a huge army and going to wars like many other places also helps booster that average
>>
>>1299675
Far less chemical and hormone shit of all kinds added to literally every meat, dairy, and agricultural product in the country?
>>
File: sfd.png (28KB, 777x514px) Image search: [Google]
sfd.png
28KB, 777x514px
>>1299670
From what I can gather, main difference between between the American diet and the Japanese diet is that Japan consumes less sugary drinks, and sugar in general, and more veggies. Other than that, more fruits, seafood and legumes, and less processed meat, dairy, fruit juice and grains.

I think you can basically boil all of that down to less processed calorie-dense food and more fiber. You can follow a diet like that in any country just by paying attention to what you eat.
>>
>>1299673
>Most japanese food isn't too high in a lot of vitamins and minerals.

I just ended up drinking those mixed vege juices from the supermarket, they're cheap and not half bad.
>>
>>1299707
Yeah that was something I wish I had known before going to japan. I didn't realize just how few calories and lack of vitamins you have in some of the dishes there
>>
>>1299501
>degeneracy meme
If you want a non-degenerate discussion, go travel with some soccer moms at the Hilton. Why would you come to one of the most degenerate websites on the internet and bitch about degeneracy?
>>
File: IMG_20170912_121332.jpg (3MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170912_121332.jpg
3MB, 4048x3036px
>>1299661
That's just along the side of the toyohira river while I was on my way to Makomanai. Makomanai open stadium and ice area was part of the Sapporo Olympics. That was my 4th day off my 100km walk around Sapporo. I just go to wherever I feel like going. This week I purchased a 5 day Hokkaido jr pass so I plan on going somewhere each day by train.
>>
File: IMG_20170912_123225.jpg (7MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170912_123225.jpg
7MB, 4048x3036px
>>1299712
>Not spending time with sluts means hanging out with my mom to me
I wish you understood what you sound like to others.

I've talked with men who traveled to world, and came home to dedicate themselves to improving their home towns and start families. They went and learned at universities and got foreign drivers licenses, they've told me their stories, and I have told them mine.

I've talked to women who have raised children who have grown up to be successful.

I've relaxed at parks sitting next to old men while watching the birds fly, the bees collecting pollen, and children playing.

But by all means, why spend time with actual interesting Japanese people living full and interesting lives when you can be focused on spending a few short moments with some dirty slut with no brain and nothing interesting to say from Japanese tinder. Spend your time with people who have nothing to offer but their bodies, as if it wasn't already possible to find disposable, vapid women without spending the cash to visit a different country or continent. Sugoi. Absolutely sugoi.
>>
>>1299712
>one of the most degenerate websites on the internet

Facebook is more degenerate than 4chan these days. Trad is the new counter culture.
>>
>>1299430
>move to university

Any university that allows someone to teach, even as a lowest-on-the-totem-pole adjunct professor without at least a masters or equivalent isn't a place you want to work at. Community colleges could be cozy, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that in Japan.
>>
Reminder that you are not a teacher but an assistant teacher. So no one at school takes you seriously.
>>
>>1299722
>Reminder that you are not a teacher but an assistant teacher. So no one at school takes you seriously.

No, you're a monkey.
>>
>>1299722
>>1299723
Anyone who ignores the 'A' in 'ALT' deserves it.
>>
>>1299721
No shit, people that go for that get MA in TESOL online during their years as JETs.
>>
>>1299718
I love getting trashed with old dogs. All you gotta do is buy them a drink and you can spend the whole night shooting shit or shooting pool while laughing your as off
>>
>>1299668
I used eConnect a month ago. 1gig per day, decently priced. Would recommend
>>
>>1299486
Missed the narita express and my phone died so I hobo'd around a couple of hours smelling like absolute ass before I realized I could take a buss. Everything worked out great in the end. Enjoy the rest of your trip man!
>>
>>1298977
Ohai, I'm >>1298490
You've actually touched on an important point, dressing right. My friend (he's white btw) is somewhere in between the extremes you mentioned, he dresses a bit shabbily, nothing extreme, but not remotely fancy. Usually he'd wear some lanky shirt and jeans. No piercings or tattoos tho, but semi long hair.
Thing is, here in Spain people dress quite shabbily in general, jeans and a t-shirt is almost fancy dress, a shirt is wow, and suit and tie stands out like a black sheep.
I've been considering when I visit japan to dress more properly than I do here, maybe even suit and tie? Is this a good idea? I'd think looking like a western businessman will give a different image.

My friend says things like that he got stopped at some time by police because they thought he might have stolen the bike he was riding, shit like that. Makes me think that wearing a suit it would be much less likely for a cop to see me as a problematic gaijin.
>>
>>1298491
>>1298494
>>1298497
>>1298498
>>1298572
>>1298575
>>1298998
>>1299014
thanks for all the replies guise, btw we're both white europoors, since the question was raised a few times.
>>
Everyone is traveling to Japan around New Year here? What is the best thing to celebrate in Tokyo?
>>
>>1299806
fuck no just dress normally. Wearing a fucking suit and tie to touristic spots is going to make you look like a total autist.
>>
>>1299806
You are from Spain. People hating you is the normal state.
>>
>>1298291
Should I book the trains in advance for a 21-day trip?
I plan to at least reserve hostels, but I wouldn't want to get stuck in a city because the trains are full. I'll have the JR Pass btw
>>
>>1299861
only if you travel in May or around new year
>>
>>1299814
The only good thing about New Years in Tokyo is the trains run all night, but the clubs and bars all suck since its a family holiday similar to Christmas in the US
>>
http://izumikuplus.blog.jp/archives/9720841.html
>>
>>1298879

As someone who lives in Japan and sees plenty of black men with Japanese girls nice try lol and what's with the Japanese men thing? That's the majority of couples????

But on the whole, being foreign in general makes dating harder, mostly because of the language and cultural barriers.
>>
>>1299843
I'm not spanish though. Both me and my friend are foreigners. We met at the german school when we were little kids.
>implying spaniards speak english
>>
Tell me more about Airbnb and the harsh regulations over there? How real is this? What should I look for when making my reservation? I don't want to be buttfucked on arrival
>>
File: 3007_26.jpg (85KB, 575x300px) Image search: [Google]
3007_26.jpg
85KB, 575x300px
Hey guys. I'm thinking of heading back to Tokyo for the third time in a few months. Mid November.
This will be my first solo trip so I'm looking for recommendations where to stay. I'm planning on going to a few gigs in Shibuya so the closer to there the better. I haven't used Air BnB before but the cheapest I've found is just under £200 for 4 nights.
Any accommodation recommendations are much appreciated.
>>
>>1300051
Have you considered homestay?
>>
>>1300052
This is the first time I've heard of it so I had a quick look and prices aren't significantly lower than Air BnB or even some Booking.com apartments. The hosts looks mostly wholesome and I'm going to be getting pretty drunk, so wouldn't want to be disrespectful to them.
Thanks for the recommendation though!
>>
File: IMG_20170905_123105.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170905_123105.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>1300056
You've traveled internationally but this is the first time you've heard of homestay?

That's kinda surprising.
>>
>>1300095
Not him but I was kinda new to it in a few until I heard about it on trv a month or so ago. I usually just use hostelworld/airbnb.

Hostel = I wanna party the night away and just crash somewhere later
airbnb = I want a good night sleep and get up early to do something nice
>>
>>1300097
Yeah but hadn't you met any exchange students or homestay in your home country as a kid?
>>
>>1300104
Not really, maybe one or two. Not super common in some states in the US, usually just in big cities on the west coast
>>
>>1300110
I don't believe that. I knew German exchange students that went to rural Nevada. We had Japanese exchange students in Minnesota. And we also exchanged to the UK with the "People to People" program.
>>
>>1300118
Didn't say it isn't unheard of, just compared to some other countries and how big the US is knowing them personally is most likely fewer depending on the state. The more west you get probably the more you'll know, grew up in the mid atlantic, didn't have too many
>>
>>1300123
You don't need to have many just to be aware of it. They had that fat German exchange student on The Simpsons even, for anyone who grew up watching that.
>>
>>1299718
yeah idk fucking sluts sounds a lot more badass than looking at grass with some old fuck who probably thinks you have AIDS

that's just me though
>>
>>1299675
Americans generally eat themselves to death and don't exercise. That's pretty much it
>>
>>1300128
Not really, that is a factor as to why some do die young but you also have to take into account this such as

>people dying in car crashes
>much more use of drugs and alcohol
>people dying in the armed service
>people dying from being too far from medical care
>suicides shootings etc
>more work place mishaps and issues
>far more diverse culture of people who may have shorter life spans

There isn't just one cause, it's a huge factor comparing a country the size of California to the rest of the US
>>
>>1300130
>There isn't just one cause, it's a huge factor comparing a country the size of California to the rest of the US

You realize a country's physical size and gross population don't matter when it comes to averages, right?
>>
>>1300134
It does when you are factoring in infrastructure upkeep, access to medical resources, to better overall living environments thus improving health for the population. It also helps when you have a government that can impose things like fat tax and other things on it's citizens
>>
>>1300127
>looking at grass with some old fuck who probably thinks you have AIDS
How old are you?
>>
>>1300127

Thanks for the input, teenager-san
>>
>>1300135
Except that the only two things on your list that aren't negligible other than the original topic (Americans eat shit) is car accidents and violent crime. Hilariously enough, per 2007-2009~ data the US did have longer life expectancy if you didn't factor in unnatural causes (murder or car wrecks).

That being said, I'm pretty sure the Japanese elderly on average stay in far better shape than elderly in the US do, even if they somehow don't manage to live as long.
>>
>>1300137
old enough to have grown out of the White Dude in Asia fantasy a long time ago
>>
>>1300153
So you say
>>
I have about 7 hours to kill at Narita airport. What are some cool things to see/do close to the airport?
>>
>>1300164
You can visit Narita
>>
>>1300167
This, just get back 2 hours before the flight depending on your connection.

>connecting flight through shanghai
>Chinese tourists taking literal truck loads of goods
>never want to cooperate with airport staff when claiming goods and stuff
>try to act stupid the whole time
>can't fucking figure out how to get on the damn plane without royally holding up everyone else

Next time I am SO paying the 100 more bucks for a flight to skip anything connecting via china
>>
>>1300168
Blame yourself for being a SEA.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 636x398px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 636x398px
>>1298291
Tokyo > Nikki > Hakone > Matsumoto > Kanzawa > Takayama > Kyoto > Nara > Osaka

Something else I should add? I was planning to stay more but I ended up with 15 days.
>>
>>1300243
I would prefer to explore places more thoroughly than jam in more places. Every moment you spend on mundane traveling, like your train goin thru a tunnel you could have been seeing something in the previous place.
>>
>>1300243
cut Nikki, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Takayama
>>
I just bought tickets to Japan for the entire month of February and will be staying in Tokyo. Last time I was in Japan I spent the entire month of December there. I also cannot survive in cold weather.

How cold is it going to be and have I fucked up.
>>
>>1300258
I assume December was warm enough for you then, right? Considering January and February are pretty much universally the coldest months in the northern hemisphere. You can find yearly averages for a location at a certain time of year online.
>>
>>1300265
>The average winter temperature in Japan is 5.1 °C

Fuck me, I'm going to have to pack a lot of coats then.

But yeah December was alright, it just rained a lot for the 2 weeks or so that I was in Osaka.
>>
>>1300266
Last December was amazing, pretty mild and clean sky, so you sell Fuji-san all the time from Tokyo.

I hope this December is similar.
>>
When will the next /trv/ Japan meetup be?

I want to meet you faggots again.
>>
So April-May is apparently the season to visit?

Should you avoid Golden Week I imagine? Too busy and a lot of things shut down?
>>
~6 weeks and I'm off to Tokyo (solo) for 10 days, wew. Feeling a bit anxious. I got a nice Airbnb booked in Asakusa. Still not sure what the fuck I'm going to do there, I have a lot of places written down I want to check out and records and games I want to look for but I don't really have a concrete plan. I'm thinking of visiting some gardens, checking out the Gundam statue (It's up now, isn't it?) and the Hachiko statue, visiting a shrine/shrines, the Capcom bar etc. but I don't think I really have enough shit to do planned out, lol. Any recommendations for like a remote town I should check out, something that would take up a whole day travelling there and back? Also I haven't really looked into it, but is it possible to download Google Maps and use it offline as well? I'd imagine something like that is available. I'm a bit scared but I'm also pretty fucking excited.
>>
File: IMG_20170911_110332_1.jpg (7MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170911_110332_1.jpg
7MB, 4048x3036px
Just want to throw this out there for anyone who is in the planning phase. Look into homestay.

I'm living with a University professor. While he and his wife work during the week, the children are at school, and I go do what i want. On the weekends we may go out as a family, allowing them to introduce me to places I wouldn't think to go. They also make suggestions for places I might like when I'm on my own.

The mother made okonomiyaki tonight and it was fucking great.
>>
Anyone been to oarai before ?
i am kinda looking for a girls und panzer pilgrimage guide for oarai on the net, but i am having some problems finding one
>>
>>1300289
if you want to see Cherry blossoms, otherwise no. Shit ton of people everywhere in April, May is fine outside of Golden Week. And yes, by god don't travel during golden week.
>>1300295
Hakone, Kamakura/Enoshima.

AFAIK Google Maps offline is not available in Japan
>>1300305
haven't seen GuP personally, but this blog already has a site as their first post, might be helpful http://otaku-pilgrimages.blogspot.co.at/
>>
>>1300295
Take a ride with Toden Arakawa Line. Really cheap, takes you through the city in a nice light train.
>>
>>1298878
Damn bro, this is my exact itinerary for my trip next summer for 22ish days. I'm going to Okunoshima since you can check out the big military museums in Kure on the way. Still considering whether to book an onsen hotel in Beppu for a night. You're definitely hitting up Yufuin too right?
>>
File: P1030290.jpg (6MB, 4000x2672px) Image search: [Google]
P1030290.jpg
6MB, 4000x2672px
>>1298695
I did in july.
Spent a night in Omishima.
It's not that hard since it's flat most of the time (some inclines to reach the bridges or your hostel).
The best part is that the itinerary is very clearly marked on the ground during the whole cricuit.
It was pretty hot, I even took a break at a nice beach. Dunno about November, but I wouldn't mind doing it again in a cooler day.
>>
Has anyone ever had to take prescribed benzos (ie valium/diazepam) to Japan?

I understand they have a real bug up their ass about drugs the west don't give a crap about. Would I need a Yakkan Shoumei certificate for a 28 day script? I found a table on psychotropic amounts and it says under 1.2g of diazepam doesn't need special permission, but I'm also seeing people saying they got arrested for nasal spray! I also take bp meds, would appreciate advice on this.
>>
>>1300289
>Should you avoid Golden Week I imagine?

Great time for small local festivals if you're into that, but a lot of natives are traveling that week as well. I had no issues this year during the first several days of Golden Week (weekend plus Monday and Tuesday), but it wouldn't be a bad idea to book reserved seats for any shinkansen rides a day or two ahead.
>>
>>1300243
>15 days
I would do less places instead of adding more, because you will be jumping from place to place without enjoying anything.
>>
>>1300243
I'm staying for 14 days and the first week I'm in Tokyo with only Yokohama as day trip target. And going to Osaka in the second week with Kyoto, Kobe and Hiroshima/Kure as day trips. I t hink that's already pushing it.
>>
>>1300313
Kamakura looks pretty neat! Is it fairly easy to get there from the Asakusa area? Not sure about Hakone, I'm not too crazy into the hot springs. Thanks for the recommendation.

>>1300314
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
>>1300380
Kamakura is a different city. You will need to go to tokyo central, or probably ueno to get there
>>
How hard would kill me the Japanese summer in August as middle European?

I have the option for a 23 days trip, which would be pretty sweet.
>>
>>1300384
Expect 30 degrees at 100% humidity. Its not very pleasant for walking around and touristing. Plan accordingly
>>
>>1300365
On the other hand he will be getting great value out of a JR pass and can get an idea of which places to visit again for a lengthier stay in the future.
>>
>>1300388
Are the other summer months any better though considering the rainy seasons that bookend August?
>>
>>1300388
30 degrees is something we have in Germany as well but I can't really imagine 100%. Makes me wonder if I should rather go to Okinawa or Hokkaido.
>>
>>1300392
Not really. If august is when you have to go, do go. But dont plan on hiking too much, or walking around the cities.

Japan in august is legitimately hotter than southeast asia except for maybe inland thailand. You will dehydrate after 30 minutes of walking
>>
>>1300398
Ironically okinawa is probably more pleasant in august than up north due to the winds and lack of heat island.

Hokkaido is a solid choice. I dont really reccomend okinawa if youve been through asean for a variety of reasons
>>
>>1300400
Thanks for the headsup, I've been trying to decide between June and August and thought I could just withstand the August heat if I dressed accordingly. I like the atmosphere associated with August (cicadas, festivals, humidity), but June is probably the choice.
>>
>>1300403
Not him, but why not Okinawa? I was planning to visit there on my next trip as well as Ishigaki.
>>
>>1300403
Thanks for the info.

It's still a long time until August but I'am thinking about one week in Tokyo and then taking the train to Hokkaido.
>>
>>1300404
Dont get me wrong, I like the august here. The atmosphere is very romantic. Thats why films focus on the scenic beauty of it, like you mentioned.

But for backpacking, without a garden or balcony to share a beer with your wife or something whike you soak in the scene in a nice area, and instead you are in a hostel with he ac turned low, you might not enjoy yourself

Hey man, can you go into the america hread for me and tell the idiot to stop blaming people in nebraska for racism in new york? Its like blaming italy for islamiat attacks in sweden.

I'd appreciate it
>>
>>1300406
Ishigaki is nice. Its more of a place for people with kids. Everything is kind of expensive and there isnt much exciting to do, even at a high price point. But i would rather take my kids there than thailand because i wont have to worry about fatal parasites and shit like that.

There is some amazing deepwater diving there but most people wont see it
>>
>>1300409
Sorry bud, I just looked in that thread and have no idea what's going on. You aren't gonna change an idiot's mind easily though.
>>
Guise, I want to spend a day at Hakone. There these houses at airbnb for up to 4 of people. Someone wants to share it? Ideally I like to stay theere on the 17th to the 18th but I can change that.
>>
>>1300250
>>1300365
>>1300369
I'm pretty used to traveling plus I'm going alone, so I don't feel I'll need a lot of time to visit each place. Maybe I'll stay one more night in Nara and Osaka, bring it up to 17 nights. My question was more about if I'm missing something crucial, but it seems I got the basics covered.

Also this >>1300389, I'll probably go back with my gf sometimes next year.
>>
>>1300429
The sight seeing - traveling ratio would be pretty fucked up.
>>
I wanna go to Nippon so bad.
Rich anon, fly me out there.
>>
Ok guys, I'm bound to get some flack for this but posting anyway...

Cannabis in Japan? LET ME SAY FIRST:

I'm not bringing any actual weed flower with me, it's too big and stinky, I'm not thaaat dumb.

I'm planning on going one of two routes: bringing concentrates (dabs) with me and tracking down a vape once arriving, or bring homemade edibles. These are the smallest and least smelly options.

Now I know that weed in Japan is so so bad, and so so illegal, but I love weed and would love to be stoned and see the sights and sound of Japan. I'm not looking to bring a ton...the amount of concentrates would be no bigger than the size of a couple quarters, and I can't see the edibles being more than a couple candy bars or so.

I'm not asking how to hide things to get to Japan, I'm good at doing that, and have done so multiple times domestically, this is just my first international flight and I know there's a large stigma.

Are my bags liable to go through more scrutiny upon entering Japan? What about drug dugs for international flights? My biggest fear is dogs. I know I can hide things out of sight and smell for a human, but I just would hate for a dog to get a whiff.
>>
>>1300469
You could just not be degenerate, for just a few days.

Customs gonna eat your ass
>>
>>1300469
I am a white citizen of japan and speak fluent japanese. They dont know this when they pick me out of all the japanese and the other ehite guy when they inspect every single thing i bring into the country.

Dont bring drugs into japan unless you are prepared to do 20 years prison in jails in the snow where they only offer you a thin blanket and no heating.
They only extradite if the sentence is carried out in the home country.

So alternatively you could get aids from forceful rape.

Make your choice.
>>
>>1300469
Good chance you'll get caught at the departing airport of your home country before you even make it to japan.

You can get weed in japan, it's just much harder. Had people just sharing drugs in hostels honestly, my buddy got some X from some russian dude he was bunked in the same room with.
>>
>>1300469
Don't do it brah. I don't know if extracted oil smells though
>>
>>1300403
>Ironically okinawa is probably more pleasant in august than up north due to the winds and lack of heat island.
I went to Okinawa last August and can vouch for this. The sun was pretty strong but the wind made up for it - and kept a lot of the bugs away.
>>
I'm an 18 year old Australian with a provisional license, which means that the type of cars I'm able to drive are restricted.

Would I still be able to rent out something like a GT-R or an RX-7 to drive for a day, which are illegal for me to drive here in Australia, with the current license I have?
>>
>>1300518
You need an international license to drive shit in japan, even closed course IIRC.
>>
>>1300524
Damn that sucks, I won't be able to get an international license with my current Aus one.
>>
>>1300469
This is quality bait. Copied for future pasting.
>>
File: 1342505076058.png (171KB, 637x431px) Image search: [Google]
1342505076058.png
171KB, 637x431px
>>1300527
>>
File: wd.png (402KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wd.png
402KB, 1000x1000px
>>1300469
And then stoners claim that weed isn't addictive.
>>
File: IMG_20170914_114615.jpg (1MB, 3036x1532px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170914_114615.jpg
1MB, 3036x1532px
Alright, so I'm on the 4th day of my 5 day Hokkaido rail pass.

Overall I think it's pretty good. If you're in Sapporo the girls at the information desk speak English very well and it's easy to buy when you're here. You can either jump on the non-reserved parts of the train with just the hokkaido pass, or get free reserved seats ahead of time. Getting reserved seats is much easier in Sapporo with the girls who speak English than other places. But I was still able to get a reserved seat from a little station where only 1 person works with very little Japanese, mostly gestures and the word "Shiteiseki" or "指定席." She called the main station and used a template to hand write and stamp a ticket.

Keep in mind, to get your money out of a hokkaido rail pass, you're going to want to take the longer and more expensive trips. You don't need to buy a 200usd 5 day rail pass if you are only doing 20 dollar day trips. For me I am traveling every day and I am taking the long trip to Wakkanai right now. I am probably saving like 60usd (200 us vs 260 usd) instead of buying tickets all week. If for some reason I couldn't have traveled all 5 days in a row then it would have been more like a wash. But it is nice to just flash the hokkaido pass and walk in without needing to worry about individual tickets if you don't want to.

So i think you're okay to do what you're move comfortable with and what makes more economic sense for you.
>>
>>1300583
Good to know. I was debating whether to go the Hokkaido pass on the first leg of my trip before I visit the rest of Japan
>>
Fuck I don't think I'll miss anything as much as the food. At every pricepoint you can get some good eats in Japan.
>>
Guys, how do you travel alone in Japan and not be an autist about it?

I'm a normie, but by myself I'm an autist. Desperately want to go back to Japan but my friends are all broke and I was just going to go by myself.
>>
>>1300654
It's really fucking easy to meet people son. Didn't even stay in a hostel and had people to go out with every day. Just talk to people on the street or wherever who look like tourists.
>>
>>1300617
Learn to cook.
>>
Will land in Narita at 9:45am and my hotel check in is 2pm. So there are a little more than 4 hours. Clearing custom, getting the rail pass and Wi-Fi device and taking the train to Shinjuku should take less than that. Any idea how I should fill the rest of the time?
>>
>>1300666
You're going to be stuck with your luggage. I'd look for cultural sites and parks that are easily visited in the path you're planning
>>
>>1300313
thanks for the link will check it out
>>
>>1300668
Luggage doesn't take that long normally.

Clearing everything in Narita takes maybe 60min at a busy day.
>>
>>1300675
I'm saying you're going to be hauling your luggage around with whatever you want to do, so stick to things near your route so you're not lugging all your bullshit across Japan.
>>
>>1300676
Not even the same guy but you are right in that regard.

There are always coin lockers but I guess not really worth the money for a little more than 1h at best.
>>
>>1300668
If he's staying at a hotel, they'll hold it at the front desk so he doesn't have to lug it around for hours before he checks in.
>>
>>1300679
Yeah, if he wants to get their early. I thought he wanted to try and utilize the travel to the hotel as a way to visit places me might otherwise not.
>>
Any suggestions on what to do in Tokyo for a guy whose feet feel like they'll dismember if he takes another step?
>>
>>1300679
I will do that then, at least one of you were helpful.
>>
>>1300693
Walk it off, pussy.
>>
>>1300693
Meet up with anons from here
>>
>>1300697
I tried that and I now have blisters on three sides of my left foot, a fucked right knee, and skin tearing off my right foot.
>>1300698
I think most Anons will be interested in touring the city, I'm looking for something to do where I can just plant my ass down for a day. Already did Arcades when I arrived and they eat your money way too fast so don't suggest that please.
>>
>>1300702
Go to ooedo onsen if you're in Tokyo , you can chill there all day. I'd be up for it as well if you want
>>
>>1300711
That's a pretty fucking good suggestion and I recommend that place to all other anons, but I already visited there earlier on in my trip and I'm staying at an onsen equipped ryokan tonight so I don't feel the need to go. Thank you for the invitation tho.
>>
New bread >>1300716
>>
>>1300617
I miss the bidets
>>
>>1298291
https://youtu.be/U4-NKxoWjpo
>>
>>1300662
I had the easiest time meeting people, even became friends with some locals just by going to a concert. I still chat with them on Twitter, gonna be seeing them again in November.
>>
>>1300666
If I were you I'd leave my luggage in a locker at a station I'll pass through again. Or you can ask the hotel. The hotel will probably hold it complimentary, but the locker at a train station is very convenient and only around 700 yen for the large travel suitcase lockers.
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.